Author Topic: Got a Bachelor's? Teach English Online for up to $22/hr (Set your own hours)  (Read 19093 times)

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I've just begun a side hustle with a Chinese company that is recruiting native English speakers to teach English to 5-12 year olds. Since all you need is a bachelors degree and any possible teaching experience (from regular teaching, to tutoring, Sunday school, life guarding, babysitting, even training coworkers will work), I figured it was worth sharing.

Classes are 25-28 mins long, and there are bonuses for teaching 35+classes a month, and for not missing classes. The classes are taught with pre made power points, and there are dozens of example classes online too.

Student ability varies; I did have a year 3 kiddo (aged nine) who was telling me about how he likes knights and King Arthur, wants to be an astronaut, and has a pet fish. Younger kids you do a lot of sing-song stuff, (old mcdonalds, 5 little monkeys, etc) and I use a hand puppet to keep their interest. But again, at 25-28 mins a lesson, it goes by fast!
Hours are weird but you set them yourself which is nice, and can up or lower depending on schedule changes. The peak hours work for me as I'm able to work in the mornings from 4-6 am, then go to my regular classroom.

Pay ranges from $7-11 per half hour class. If you allow any slots to be booked within 24 hours, you will get a $2 class bonus. If a class gets cancelled/student does not show up, you still get paid (full for registered members, half for trial students). If you teach a trial class, you get paid the same amount as a regular class... If the student signs up, you get a $5 per trial student sign up bonus. I've taught over 30 classes this month, and intend to open a solo 401k to put all the money I make in.

If anyone is interested, consider using my referral link: https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=3436338
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 08:40:30 PM by TMInsall »

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
Thanks!

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I just found out that applicants who are offered a contract by the 28th will receive a $25 gift card!

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
This is awesome!

Too bad I only have an Associates Degree.  :(

Know of any other companies with a good reputation that would accept losers like me?

Chegg.com might. I don't have a referral for them, but it's worth a shot!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 12:59:12 PM by TMInsall »

ChipmunkSavings

• Stubble
Does it have to be a Bachelor's in English? I have a Health Science background but I might be interested.

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
no, any bachelor's

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
This might be a fun summer gig. Thanks for sharing. :)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
This looks great, I definitely want to try this but will have to start in April. Did you have any teaching experience before you started? I've tutored a bit but never ESL. Are the kids able to communicate much in English or are they starting from scratch?

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I am a 3rd year teacher, but little/no ESL. The big thing is to frame your work experience in terms of education...so when I filled my application, I mentioned how I 'taught' when working IT. I helped students with basic pic skills, and ran workshops/freshman orientation for students to register for registrar signup system. Even babysitting can be cited as teaching experience!

Communication depends on the kid; you are booked by students one session at a time so you may from from a year 3 to year one student. But the materials are all gathered, which makes it all relatively easy. It's a total immersion experience, so no mandarin required!

guomubai

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm a fluent Mandarin speaker. Does that give me an advantage? (I'm American, by the way, just studied Chinese for 10+ years and spent time in China)

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
Thank you! As a two-teacher family with summers off, this might help us out a lot.

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm a fluent Mandarin speaker. Does that give me an advantage? (I'm American, by the way, just studied Chinese for 10+ years and spent time in China)

Yes! In fact, some with mandarin can make up to $25/hr

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Very cool. Thanks for sharing

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
Is a webcam required?  You mentioned using puppets, so I'm assuming they can see you.

sw1tch

• Bristles
Definitely something my wife would be interested in.  Maybe I could try as well.

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Webcam required, yes. And computer only, not mobile. But not a bad system, for sure. I made $1552 in March.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
Webcam required, yes. And computer only, not mobile. But not a bad system, for sure. I made $1552 in March.

Wow!  That's quite a side-gig.

How many hours of work does that represent?

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
66.5 hours teaching total for the month. So I averaged $23+ an hour, due to bonuses.

ipyay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
This sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Holy shit! That's like way more than any of our real jobs make! This is HUGE! I have a chromebook, which has a webcam, but is usually recognized as a mobile device. Does that mean it's not going to work!?

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
While not 'officially' supported, I use my Chromebook all the time. In fact, my Mac is my backup (with a wired connection) just in case I get some kooky tech issues. But I've had little/no problems with a Chromebook, really.

It really is a dream gig...

[EDIT]: If you sign up and teach your first class by the end of April, you will receive a $25 bonus in your first paycheck.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:59:57 AM by TMInsall »

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
Just passed the first interview!  YAY! I'm super excited about this. This is basically all the favorite parts of my old job (teaching english and reading to mexican kids in a primary classroom, 1-3rd grade) minus all the bad parts (classroom management).

My headset didn't work with my chromebook. As in the chromebook doesn't recognize that I've even plugged it in. I almost cancelled the interview, and then decided to just try it, and it worked fine.

I'd love to debug the headset issue, but happy to know I can move forward in the meantime.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
I actually just sent TMI a PM about this.  I'm very interested.  Congrats on passing the interview!

What are the specs on your Chromebook?  I'm thinking about buying a cheap one like the one below specifically for doing this side-gig.

https://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C202SA-YS02-Ruggedized-Resistant-Celeron/dp/B01DBGVB7K/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DBGVB7K&pd_rd_r=NMW4K9HN9N7Z30CW57CW&pd_rd_w=C3tou&pd_rd_wg=eUOB6&psc=1&refRID=NMW4K9HN9N7Z30CW57CW

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Just passed the first interview!  YAY! I'm super excited about this. This is basically all the favorite parts of my old job (teaching english and reading to mexican kids in a primary classroom, 1-3rd grade) minus all the bad parts (classroom management).

My headset didn't work with my chromebook. As in the chromebook doesn't recognize that I've even plugged it in. I almost cancelled the interview, and then decided to just try it, and it worked fine.

I'd love to debug the headset issue, but happy to know I can move forward in the meantime.

Are you using a USB headset? If so, use a 3.5 MM regular jacked one. I got mine off Amazon. USB messes with their software. I actually had the same issue, and went out and bought different headphones just to fix this.

Congrats on passing though!

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I actually just sent TMI a PM about this.  I'm very interested.  Congrats on passing the interview!

What are the specs on your Chromebook?  I'm thinking about buying a cheap one like the one below specifically for doing this side-gig.

https://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-C202SA-YS02-Ruggedized-Resistant-Celeron/dp/B01DBGVB7K/ref=pd_sbs_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01DBGVB7K&pd_rd_r=NMW4K9HN9N7Z30CW57CW&pd_rd_w=C3tou&pd_rd_wg=eUOB6&psc=1&refRID=NMW4K9HN9N7Z30CW57CW

That should definitely be fine. I think if and when I buy my own Chromebook (I use my work one) I will buy a touchscreen one. Writing on the screen with a touchpad or mouse is difficult...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 12:25:27 PM by TMInsall »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
I thought about using my work laptop, but I'd be worried about using work property for things other than work.

The best deal I see for a touch screen chromebook is about $250.  $80 more for touch screen.  It'd be worth it though, you say?

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
vindicated: I have this one https://www.amazon.com/Acer-11-6-Chromebook-16GB-CB3-111-C4HT/dp/B00XARX1C4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1492729186&sr=8-7&keywords=acer+chromebook+11, and I got it refurbished for $130. Best purchase ever. Couldn't be more happy. So much better than a laptop.

TMI, I DID use a regular headphone jack!  Weird!  I was going to try a USB jack next. I read online and they say to do a powerwash, except it doesn't work even from guest mode, so I'm not sure if that would fix it.

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
vindicated: I have this one https://www.amazon.com/Acer-11-6-Chromebook-16GB-CB3-111-C4HT/dp/B00XARX1C4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1492729186&sr=8-7&keywords=acer+chromebook+11, and I got it refurbished for $130. Best purchase ever. Couldn't be more happy. So much better than a laptop.

TMI, I DID use a regular headphone jack!  Weird!  I was going to try a USB jack next. I read online and they say to do a powerwash, except it doesn't work even from guest mode, so I'm not sure if that would fix it.

Hmm... You want to be sure you have a trrs headphone set, and trrs headphone jack. Many older o cheaper ones are trs, or tip-ring-sleeve. You want tip-ring-ring-sleeve. Trrs have the extra channel for the microphone. If either the headset and the audio jack is not trrs, then the microphone's sound will not go through. You can google "trrs vs trs" to find out more. I also used Skype to test my sound... That's always a good one.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
Bumping to follow... want to check this out when I'm not at my day job!

Tigerpine

• Bristles
Bumping to follow...

So in terms of taxes, this would be "miscellaneous income" I assume?  1099-MISC?

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
I passed!  So the headset mike works, but the audio comes through my computer speaker. Anyway, I guess it's not going to matter because I'm in! woohoo! Thanks for the referral!

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I passed!  So the headset mike works, but the audio comes through my computer speaker. Anyway, I guess it's not going to matter because I'm in! woohoo! Thanks for the referral!

Good! If you teach your first class by the end of the month, I think you'll get a $25 bonus!

Bumping to follow...

So in terms of taxes, this would be "miscellaneous income" I assume?  1099-MISC?

Yes, the company releases a 1099 to employees for taxes. I'm also contributing to a solo 401k with vanguard now.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
I'm interested in this -- can someone who has taught a class tell me what I should expect? I work full-time, is this something that I could do sporadically / on weekends, or does it need to be a regular commitment? Can I use regular audio jack headphones with mic or do I need a fancypants headset?

Thanks!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
I've taught two classes so far! You can do as much or as little as you want. They used to have a minimum but not anymore.

You do have to stick to your schedule, so once you get booked, you can't cancel. Regular headphones are OK!  Good luck. It's super fun if you like teaching.

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm interested in this -- can someone who has taught a class tell me what I should expect? I work full-time, is this something that I could do sporadically / on weekends, or does it need to be a regular commitment? Can I use regular audio jack headphones with mic or do I need a fancypants headset?

Thanks!

I purchased a headset with mic from amazon for about $9. You want to make sure whatever headphones/set have its own mic, and have a trrs plug. iPhone headsets do.

April Update: I didn't get the incentive this month, as I am driving to my brick & mortar teaching job during peak times for incentives. I also worked a bit less, as I had no spring break this month. Yet I still pulled in $1291, having worked 58.5 hours, meaning I netted $22.06/hr for April. :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:28:52 AM by TMInsall »

tj

• Handlebar Stache
Following

Lepetitange3

I used TMI's link and got to the next stage of signing up with them...have a few days to do a mock class.  I've been stalking the forum forever but hadn't registered.  I signed up just to say THANK YOU!  I teach full time online for a k-12 school already and this is the best most convenient side hustle ever.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
I'm getting into the groove of it! I LOVE it! After doing 2 classes in the morning I feel so awake and ready for when my kids come find me in the kitchen. Such a difference in how ready I feel to "handle" them. And the crazy part is that I'm getting paid to do this fun thing :)

I'm on track to earn 800-1000 this month and that is a CRAZY amount of money for us here in MX. Super excited!!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
I'm glad you're having success!  I still haven't done it.  I know, I'm procrastinating, like usual.

Anyway, what times of the day can you teach?  Also, what time-zone.  I'm US Eastern.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
I'm Mountain Time, so that's definitely lucky. So I do 5:30-6:30 mornings and Friday & Saturday evenings from 7-9. When I feel comfortable with that, I'll add an extra half hour in the mornings, so 5-6:30.

Monzi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm interested in doing this. I have qualifications in publishing, teaching and psychology. Plus private tutoring experience. Is it still worth it and when are they running a special again? I will use your link code and would appreciate the guidance in getting through the interview process...

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
I have my interview on Monday. Watching a lot of youtube videos now how to do well on the interviews. I'm getting a little intimidated by the perkiness of these teachers and the number of things to remember, but hopefully I can do well enough. :)

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Passed my interview so moving onto the next stage of the process. If I do teach, I'll get $10 per class; $20 per hour.

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm interested in doing this. I have qualifications in publishing, teaching and psychology. Plus private tutoring experience. Is it still worth it and when are they running a special again? I will use your link code and would appreciate the guidance in getting through the interview process...

I'm setting up a free Email course for those that use my referral link, so that should help. I can also skype, phone call, email, etc. for questions.

I have my interview on Monday. Watching a lot of youtube videos now how to do well on the interviews. I'm getting a little intimidated by the perkiness of these teachers and the number of things to remember, but hopefully I can do well enough. :)

Awesome! Iff you need any help, send a PM!

Teachstache

• Stubble
Following this. I have a 2.5 year old son, a FT teaching job, and an adjunct gig at a college one night per week. I teach ELL & Reading. I have a PhD. Would love to earn an extra $500/month, but wondering if that's doable. I could do early morning sessions at, like, 5 am for an hour. Any advice from those who have done it & who have kids would be appreciated.

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Following this. I have a 2.5 year old son, a FT teaching job, and an adjunct gig at a college one night per week. I teach ELL & Reading. I have a PhD. Would love to earn an extra $500/month, but wondering if that's doable. I could do early morning sessions at, like, 5 am for an hour. Any advice from those who have done it & who have kids would be appreciated.

I teach in the mornings and have three kids; definitely doable. An hour a day is not bad at all, much easier than the 3-5 I do!

I've been considering doing this for a while. How flexible are they with scheduling and with time off? I didn't realize they required 6 month contract.

You get two full weeks off (have to let them know ahead of time) of your choice, and they don't have to be concurrent. However, you can choose to only work one day in a week. So, you can gain lots of consecutive days off scheduling appropriately. Not a problem with them!

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache

Yes! In fact, some with mandarin can make up to $25/hr

I should see if my wife would do this in retirement.  She's from Hong Kong (Cantonese is her first language, but she speaks passable Mandarin as well- or so she tells me).

Teachstache

• Stubble

I teach in the mornings and have three kids; definitely doable. An hour a day is not bad at all, much easier than the 3-5 I do!

I've been considering doing this for a while. How flexible are they with scheduling and with time off? I didn't realize they required 6 month contract.

You get two full weeks off (have to let them know ahead of time) of your choice, and they don't have to be concurrent. However, you can choose to only work one day in a week. So, you can gain lots of consecutive days off scheduling appropriately. Not a problem with them!

How much prep time is required for each session? Is the prep time unpaid?

K-12FI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

How much prep time is required for each session? Is the prep time unpaid?

Prep time varies; I started prepping about 15 mins per lesson for the first week or so. However, there is a great structure to the curriculum, so that once you know the structure, simply clicking through the slides the night before (takes less than 3 mins per lesson) one can be fairly quipped to do the lesson. I now only look once at the beginning of the week, since I'm familiar with many of the lessons.

gravitysmiles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
What about taxes? I feel like this would end up really raising my taxable income. Thoughts?