Author Topic: Buy when they're selling doesn't just apply to stocks...  (Read 5074 times)

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
Buy when they're selling doesn't just apply to stocks...
« on: April 05, 2020, 07:23:29 PM »
Any thoughts on things to buy at great prices in the coronavirus recession?

I'm thinking used cars, higher end used furniture (e.g. mid century modern), art works, Rolexes, etc. might be substantially discounted (not that I necessarily want most of those things, but if the price is right ;-)  )

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
Re: Buy when they're selling doesn't just apply to stocks...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:56:36 PM »
Travel.  (Yes, risk.)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 12:26:26 AM »
I'm low-key hoping to pickup some sports equipment by the end of the month when people need to start coming up with money for rent.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 02:24:45 AM »
A lot of the finishing touches in my house come from auctions: paintings, rugs, lamps, and so on (much of the rest is hand me downs and inheritances).  Before the virus hit I was gently on the lookout for an antique mirror for a bathroom refurbishment (no worries, it will not suffer from damp and humidity) and a large rug for the spare bedroom, and had half an eye on an early David Hockney lithograph.  It will be interesting to see what happens to availability and prices once things start to open up again.  There will be vultures hanging around, for sure.

jeroly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 08:02:10 AM »
Any thoughts on things to buy at great prices in the coronavirus recession?

I'm thinking used cars, higher end used furniture (e.g. mid century modern), art works, Rolexes, etc. might be substantially discounted (not that I necessarily want most of those things, but if the price is right ;-)  )
It doesn't apply to me any more, but those of y'all that have big oil tanks for your furnaces can take advantage of the low oil prices and fill 'em up now for next winter.

LoanShark

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 02:44:52 PM »
Absolutely...just be prepared for some rough responses. Doesn't hurt to make a "can't lose" offer on goods that will recover their value in the long term.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 02:48:16 PM »
I'd expect it's a good time to buy a fuel efficient car.  Gas is super cheap right now (I paid $1.39/gal a few days ago), and I'm assuming fewer people are buying cars in general.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 07:46:37 AM »
I'm low-key hoping to pickup some sports equipment by the end of the month when people need to start coming up with money for rent.
Depends on what it is. Equipment for home gyms is selling at prices well above what it should, due to the lack of manufacturing. I'm in the market for a concept 2 rower, which sells new for $900--all the offers on craigslist are in the range of 1200-1500 in my area. But if you were looking for sport-specific gear, I bet there are deals to be had.

mntnmn117

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2020, 06:12:35 PM »
Yeah, seems like the opposite of the ops prediction has occured. Anything recreation related has gotten more expensive. Used kid's bike are selling for MSRP in the Seattle area.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 10:47:33 AM »
Yeah, seems like the opposite of the ops prediction has occured. Anything recreation related has gotten more expensive. Used kid's bike are selling for MSRP in the Seattle area.

Flights are cheap. When the virus first hit, I thought that if I ended up with Covid (and recovered), I might just take one of those $100 round trip flights to South America while my employer was shut down.

But then all of the borders closed.

RobertFromTX

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 08:12:47 PM »
I sold my kettlebells because the retailers were out of stock and people were on the hunt for their home gym equipment. 100% return on my investment haha.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!