Author Topic: The Opposite of Spoiled  (Read 4075 times)

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
The Opposite of Spoiled
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:39:59 AM »
I'm reading "The Opposite of Spoiled: Raising Kids Who Are Grounded, Generous and Smart About Money"

It's very good for parents and only $1.99 right now (for the Kindle):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KAC65PW/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:33:34 AM by Yankuba »

boyerbt

• Bristles
Re: The Opposite of Spoiled
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 11:32:15 AM »
Sounds like a good read and I'm not even a parent.

Quickly checked my library and they have a copy so I think I will give this  a glance.

Thanks

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 06:37:04 AM »
Quite good reviews.

Thanks for the recommendation, just downloaded a copy!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 12:58:07 PM »
Super interesting book; my husband and I read chapters and passed it back and forth, and it prompted a lot of really good discussions. Adding +++ to the recommendation.

emilypsf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 08:18:35 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation.  I enjoyed the library copy.  I'm considering buying a copy for future reference.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 12:58:38 PM »
Just picked it up at the library Friday and cracked it open yesterday.   Looks great. 

Updated:
Half way through and feeling a super amount of guilt about how little we have done to teach our kids about money.  We tried an allowance for about half a year but then we kept forgetting to give them the money.  Then we did the sharing, saving and spending jars for about the same length of time.
Now I seem to hand over money when they have something they want with no prepared plan.  Sure we talk about needs and wants but I don't want to talk about how much I earn and what everything costs. 
I plan to try and finish the book, discuss with hubby and then get back on intentional parenting track.  I have been slacking in that area for number of years.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 07:13:45 AM by Frugal Lizard »

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 05:17:48 AM »
I bought the book but have not been impressed. For me it feels repetitive and unfocused. For me it feels like reading an extended facebook reply about what person A did and then jumping to what person B did to teach their kids about money. Just random ideas thrown about and very little to back up the effectiveness of it.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!