Author Topic: The Old Money Book , Byron Tully  (Read 5046 times)

debbie does duncan

• Stubble
The Old Money Book , Byron Tully
« on: December 06, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »
Just finished this slender slice of upper class secrets.
It is not a guide to get rich but how to hold on to your stache and get your kids ready for their better life.
 I did not learn these things from my parents , so some ideas are new  to me.
Easy read 142 pgs.
And yes I did get it from the library!

Leisured

• Pencil Stache
  • Retired, and loving it.
Re: The Old Money Book , Byron Tully
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 10:40:38 PM »

I liked the book; it encourages people to adopt a more timeless attitude of life, avoiding fashion. The book also encourages polite thoughtful behavior.

Here are some quotes:

On extravagance. ‘Peacock today, feather duster tomorrow.’ This reminds me of an Australian saying in politics: 'Rooster today, feather duster tomorrow.’

You should spend your life ‘doing and being’, rather than ‘spending and having.’

Be more; seem less.

In the book, OMG stands for Old Money Guy, and Old Money Gal.

Below is a link to a former topic 'anybody else uncomfortable about inheritance, poster MMMarbleheader, Dec 10

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/anybody-else-uncomfortable-about-inheritance/msg1803756/#msg1803756

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:42:18 AM »
He also has a blog
www.theoldmoneybook.com

frontstepdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 06:32:51 AM »
Just took a look at the blog, and ran into a new-to-me concept that I'm wondering how to square with these oversharing times:

Pour vivre heureux, vivons cachés: "In order to live happily, live hidden"

I get the theory of this, but especially as an almost-Millennial, this introduces yet another area of self-discipline and maverickness.  I have to execute and defend my pivot away from ConsumerClownishness, and also keep it quiet.

In some ways, against the deaf and unreformable, hidden is a good defense.  But as an honest and straightforward person, I'm running out of redirection responses, and having to say "no" a lot to well-meaning offers to spend money frivolously(at best).  I suspect my friends set is going to change, which is lonely and hard.

I guess I should try to get hold of the book.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!