Author Topic: The Life-Changing Art of Tidying-Up  (Read 95159 times)

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
Re: The Life-Changing Art of Tidying-Up
« Reply #250 on: December 28, 2015, 05:21:11 AM »
Does anyone else have the "problem" that they purge so much that the room looks a bit too empty? I have an Expedit from Ikea and used to have books in it (color coded like the nerd that I am) and some other nice stuff. I got rid off (well, it's still in the home, figuring out what to do with it, sell or donate) approximately 40 books but now it looks less nice (with about 20 books). So I like to be only surrounded by the stuff that brings me joy but now the look of the Expedit brings me less joy?
Try arranging the books artistically (think magazine photo). You can have the covers of your favorites front and center, or arrange with other objects that are stored too tightly somewhere else.  Something to give it the pop you're used to.

Signed, a serial bookshelf rearranger.

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #251 on: December 28, 2015, 10:32:23 PM »
Does anyone else have the "problem" that they purge so much that the room looks a bit too empty? I have an Expedit from Ikea and used to have books in it (color coded like the nerd that I am) and some other nice stuff. I got rid off (well, it's still in the home, figuring out what to do with it, sell or donate) approximately 40 books but now it looks less nice (with about 20 books). So I like to be only surrounded by the stuff that brings me joy but now the look of the Expedit brings me less joy?

You could use the extra space to put a picture frame or a small flower pot.

JLR

• Pencil Stache

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #253 on: December 29, 2015, 01:31:12 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!
The thing is, there wasn't a lot of stuff in it to begin with and it was neatly organized and rearranged like the pictures but now I got rid of a lot of stuff and it's even emptier. And the addition of books looked nice, I already have some other things in the other spaces. I love the idea for the picture frames and I even have some left. I will purge the other categories and will see if something comes up to put there.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #254 on: December 29, 2015, 05:47:51 PM »
I think I need to actually read the book. I'm having so much trouble with my inner hoarder thinking I might need it later or that I may be able to get some money for it if I could sell it, have a garage sale.

And need tips for getting the kids to get rid of things.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: December 29, 2015, 05:59:19 PM »
I think I need to actually read the book. I'm having so much trouble with my inner hoarder thinking I might need it later or that I may be able to get some money for it if I could sell it, have a garage sale.

Do read it--it might help you liberate yourself from some of those unneeded possessions.

There was not really anything in there about working with kids except leading by example, but here are a couple of helpful blog posts:

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2015/02/10-tips-for-decluttering-with-kids/

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2015/02/why-i-declutter-with-my-kids-instead-of-for-them/

My kids are 3 and 4 and we're not really making much headway yet, but Big Brother did set aside some books for donation.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #256 on: December 29, 2015, 08:17:42 PM »

Do read it--it might help you liberate yourself from some of those unneeded possessions.

There was not really anything in there about working with kids except leading by example, but here are a couple of helpful blog posts:

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2015/02/10-tips-for-decluttering-with-kids/

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2015/02/why-i-declutter-with-my-kids-instead-of-for-them/

My kids are 3 and 4 and we're not really making much headway yet, but Big Brother did set aside some books for donation.

Mine are nearly 2 and 4.5. The 4.5 is having a hard time with the idea of getting rid of stuff. The 2 is easy. Disappear and it's gone. I'm working in the little people garage at the moment. The minute I listes it for sale he started playing with it.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #257 on: December 30, 2015, 11:33:52 AM »
Mine are the same age as yours, Maya, and my older one is ridiculously attached to every little scrap of trash and paper she scribbled on. I hope it's an age thing and over time we can make some progress. I think she'd consent to getting rid of stuff that she finds too babyish, but her younger brother is still playing with that stuff. Maybe down the line we can make more headway.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #258 on: December 30, 2015, 05:57:07 PM »
When my kids were younger I gave them each a 'precious' box where they could keep all their rocks, scraps of paper, etc. Anything special to them that didn't have a particular place to belong. Once the box was full they had to decide what to get rid of before adding more. It has worked really well for us. I can cope with a box of stuff (as it isn't scattered all over the place, it is of a fixed size, etc), and it has allowed them to develop skills to decide what is really important to them. I think it probably also helps that they aren't having to make the decision about they paper scrap at the time it is important to them. By the time they look at getting rid of it some time has passed and they wonder why they kept it.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: January 02, 2016, 03:39:11 AM »

saving_dutchman

• Stubble
« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2016, 05:13:52 AM »
I liked most of the book. I think this book has a lot of uses for a mustachian. Having very few belongings is an easy way to avoid consumerism.

Personally the book has helped me to let go of things I had trouble parting with. A gift that I would never use, a pair of jeans that was only worn twice but just didn't feel right. I always feel wasting things is wrong and therefore I have trouble throwing things out that can be repaired or might be usefull at one point.

The MMM post about storing things on craigslist and retrieving them for money also helped me to get rid of stuff. If I ever need those items again I can just purchase them for very little money. Ofcourse of all the items that I have "stored" this way I have not needed a single one.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: January 06, 2016, 08:51:50 AM »
The idea from this book that helped me part with things was the idea that if you get rid of something that you feel doesn't spark joy, but then you regret it, you'll be okay. And that has been the case. I have gotten rid of a few things that I looked back and was like... oh, I wish I'd saved that. Like I took her directive not to keep no-longer-presentable clothes as loungewear, and got rid of a bunch of things. And there was one top that I subsequently wished I'd kept because I legitimately liked it. But ... you know, it's okay. I do wish I had kept the top but the regret has not ruined my life. I learned from it and moved on.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #262 on: January 08, 2016, 06:55:10 AM »
I liked most of the book. I think this book has a lot of uses for a mustachian. Having very few belongings is an easy way to avoid consumerism.

Personally the book has helped me to let go of things I had trouble parting with. A gift that I would never use, a pair of jeans that was only worn twice but just didn't feel right. I always feel wasting things is wrong and therefore I have trouble throwing things out that can be repaired or might be usefull at one point.

The MMM post about storing things on craigslist and retrieving them for money also helped me to get rid of stuff. If I ever need those items again I can just purchase them for very little money. Ofcourse of all the items that I have "stored" this way I have not needed a single one.

Yep the MMM post on craiglist storage has helped me a lot. We're still hoping to have another baby, but the reality is, it's not going to be born here (if we're lucky enough) so time to liquidate all of the baby stuff, and buy more 2nd hand later in our new home cross-country if necessary.  I've kept a few favorites, but that fits in 2 bins, down from about 10. It's so exciting every time somthing heads out of the house and a bit more money enters :)

Got DS to get rid of his train table. So excited about that one! Bought it for $40 with a bunch of trains and tracks. Kept the trains and tracks and sold the table with the tracks that didn't fit well with the main table for $40! So basically ended up with a bunch of free trains. Promised DS we can use that money to buy another type of toy he's currently obsessed with.

thatbrowncat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #263 on: January 13, 2016, 01:56:00 AM »
(I'd like to repost what I wrote in another forum)

Can I share my experience? I discovered this book mid 2014. I applied the results starting December 25, 2015.

Renegade is correct. It's a hit & miss book. Either you'll love it, or you'll hate it. I'm willing to try anything new, as long as I can benefit from it. Here are the things which i applied and the results.

#1 Decluttered My Closet

I didn't exactly follow what was written in her book. I gathered all my work clothes, house clothes, and undies. I put it on a pile. Asked "joy" for every item. It took me 3 hours.  I ended up giving 2 large bags of clothes. one bag weighed 5-8 kgs.

I have yet to declutter my bags and shoes and other things I wear. Clothes are easy to retrieve now. I don't have to worry a lot. They don't eat up closet space, because of number 4.

Marie Kondo, IMO, is correct. Discard before you organize.

#2 Donated my collection of Books, Children's Books & (gasp!) manga collections, anime & gaming magazines

I loved them dearly. But some of my books have been sitting inside the bookshelves, unread and dusty.It made me guilty. Plus, my books were accumulating. I didn't like it. I didn't like to maintain a lot of stuff. Adulthood changes you. You go from less to more, then more to less.

"The purpose of a book is to be read"
"A half-read book means it was probably meant to be half-read"

Those phrases were my battle cry as I decided to take my books from the shelves and decide. You see, I went to a coffeeshop here in my place. They had mangas, and I planned to donate my collection. Then the cashier told me "we have a book drive for children in boulevard area". Bingo.

I still have a lot of books to give away. Reading this book made me realized I just want to be surrounded by books that I love and would like to reread. No wonder I am attracted to ebooks--- they offer me the luxury to read without taking up space.

However, I still have physical books. My favorites though.

#3 Emptied my Bag & Put the contents in a box
Before this book came into my life, I always had a problem with my bag and its contents. Once I arrived home, I left my bag on the couch. Its contents intact. Sometimes, I actually forgot what I put inside the bag. I've misplaced my keys,wallet and ID inside my house many times. It can be frustrating. It doesn't help that I used to share a bedroom with my mom. our bedroom was messy. my mess seemed to blend with the background. She was ok with it. I became ok with it. I was surprised that I had a bag which I last used in 2010. The items inside were still intact!

So I just did what was written. It was tedious. but I never regret it.

I'm surprised how easy it is after a couple of days.  I don't lose my important items anymore. I'm actually happy because of it.

And my bag? It's resting after a long day of carrying my stuff!

#4 Fold the Clothes Konmari style

This one changed my life. No, really! this is even more important than number 3! I didn't know how to fold. I piled my clothes horizontally, "on top of each other". It was such a hassle.But ever since this book came.... it has been such a lifechanger!

I might publish photos of my drawers, but I'm amazed how I was able to maintain my drawers with neatly folded clothes!

It has become a source of pride and joy for me. It's been 2 months since I've applied this. I feel so different now!

#5 I hate my mom's clutter because I also have clutter I don't want to deal with

There's a chapter that mentions "If you're mad at your family, your room may be the cause". Hm. good point. I don't have a room of my own. well, I do have one, but it was converted into a storage room for my mom's clutter.

For years, I've lived in clutter. I still do. I share a bedroom with my mom. To her, the clutter seems to have blended into the background. It doesn't bother her as it bothers me. I disposed some of her items, and she got mad (well, who wouldn't?). She told me to tell her everything I dispose, because there might be some items she will use.

Yeah,right.

This was the reason why I couldn't dispose some items in our room. Because it's hers.

So this book came along. this chapter came along. After months of thinking, I decided to transfer to my room. I reclaimed it.
I removed traces of my mom's stuff (though she tried to give me stuff... because I might need them. I just kept them in a corner.... never used them)

I intentionally surrounded myself with stuff I only need...and you know what? Something strange happened.

when I enter our her bedroom, I'm no longer mad. I just look around and hope she'll find it in her heart to clean. I just focused on my cleaning & discarding my items.

And another strange thing happened as well.

My mom has started to pare down as well. How? Well, she gave dozens of her chickens for free!
I liked the eggs those chickens produced, but I never liked their manure. Our backyard stank chicken coop.

so there!

those were my experiences.

The Folding is a success with me, as well as "Emptying the Bag" thing too.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: January 31, 2016, 07:20:18 PM »

Thanks for sharing. :)

thatbrowncat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #266 on: February 01, 2016, 08:05:25 PM »

Thanks for sharing. :)

You're welcome!

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #267 on: February 02, 2016, 03:03:29 AM »
I haven't been able to stick with it. I did it all for a couple of months but no longer.

I do think the book has changed my life in that I have less now and am generally more tidy but I just can't be bothered to fold my clothes every week or to empty my bag every evening...

I do it now and again and love the result but I can't stick to a routine with it.

Am I alone? Who else has relapsed? Maybe I need to reread it as I want to be bothered but I just can't.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2016, 03:41:07 PM »
I'm always pretty put off by stuff like "Everyone who's followed my method has had awesome success, except the people who did it wrong."

I haven't relapsed on clothes. Okay, I do sometimes leave a couple of things on the floor, but mostly they are all still organized and I haven't accumulated a bunch of new crap. In fact, now I want to get rid of more. However, I did my desk and it's still a mess. HOWEVER, I feel like it's because the organizational systems I have set up do not go far enough. Stuff is landing on my desk and staying there because I do not have a good place set up for it to live.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #269 on: February 02, 2016, 11:30:48 PM »
Relapse? I think if you're finding that you are 'relapsing' you probably aren't done yet, maybe you don't have a place for everything (and still have more things that could go).
But I think of relapsing as when you have piles of stuff lying about and you're starting to re-accumulate. I don't see failing to empty the purse as a relapse myself...I don't do the purse thing and won't be. I don't always fold all my stuff right away, but my drawers are still folded and everything that goes in them gets folded.
I also don't do the bathroom thing, because I'm not seeing the slime problem she describes, even though I live in relatively humid Vancouver (makes me wonder about humidity and bathroom fans in Japan).

MichaelR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2016, 12:42:49 AM »
I had been heading down the Kondo route for some time any way. She is kind of weird though, but in a way that would appeal to Japanese Shinto where talking to inanimate objects as if they had a spirit is culturally ok.
That aside I was lucky enough to read this book before moving house which gave the perfect oppurtunity to Kondo my possessions.

The main difference I see with Mustachianism is that there is less emphaisis on frugality and more on the joy objects bring. This can, and should lead to having fewer possessions. But it is a different approach.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #271 on: February 08, 2016, 12:56:23 AM »
OK, I realize the book is about minimalism, not tidying.  But here's my actual tip on the art of tidying up:

Set up waypoints.  I live in a tri-level so I'll use that as an example.  At various times I may have stuff on the top floor that needs to go to the garage, stuff on the bottom floor that needs to go to the upstairs closet, and stuff in the middle floor that needs to go upstairs or downstaird.

What I do is every time I go from the top level to the middle level, I carry something that needs to go to the garage, but I'm only going to the kitchen.  I leave it in my middle-level waypoint. 

Similarly, if I'm tidying up the middle level, I don't carry each thing piecemeal upstairs or downstairs, I cache it in the central waypoint.  Then, when I finally go upstairs (say, to bed), I just grab all the things at the waypoint and bring them with me and put them in the upstairs waypoint (for example, on top of the dresser).  Then, the next day I put everything on the dresser away.  This prevents me from having to walk up and down stairs for each item.

When I'm going to work, I bring things down to the garage.  Same concept there. 

This can be summarized as: whenever you go somewhere, carry something that needs to go in that direction -- even if you aren't going the entire distance.  Each time you pass that thing in the direction it needs to go, you move it closer to it's destination.

With this approach, I keep the whole house tidy without ever going out of my way.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: February 08, 2016, 02:12:18 AM »
The main difference I see with Mustachianism is that there is less emphaisis on frugality and more on the joy objects bring. This can, and should lead to having fewer possessions. But it is a different approach.
I can see it aligning with Mustachianism as well.

The thing that I most enjoy about Mr MM's philosophy is that it is also focused on bringing joy into your life and the lives of other people. So many money saving/accumulating texts & strategies focus only on the numbers and disregard the human spirit.

Incidentally I'm back on the wagon. I had the afternoon off work since it got to 43C (109F) outside, I opted to spend it indoors which included folding and tidying (I am dreading our power bill though as I couldn't get anything done without the AC on). I'm very grateful for the ground work I put in after reading the book as tidying would normally take a lot longer.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2016, 07:36:50 PM »
Oh wow. I've spent the last few days working on our filing cabinet. This was a big job. I haven't touched it since our last child was born in 2007! I've only added to it in that time.

Our filing cabinet is (was) a 4 drawer cabinet made out of some sort of laminated, compressed wood-type of material. We've had it for about 12 years and have been very naughty and moved house 4 times with it remaining completely filled. We've just taped the drawers closed. This had made it very rickety. Luckily, I managed to get a sturdy, lockable replacement filing cabinet from our local version of Craigslist. It cost about $20 and I didn't look inside when I picked it up....just loaded it into the back of the car. That was about a year ago....

Anyway, I tackled the old cabinet. I began with the top drawer, which held things like our most recent bills, bank statements, degrees, etc. This was an easy drawer, though I did keep more than Marie Kondo would suggest. I still have our tax returns back to 1998, and bank statements and payslips dating back 7 years. :)

The next drawer was older bank statements, bills and the like. I got rid of everything that was pre-2009.

Into the third drawer (on the third day) and for the first time in all of my KonMarie-ing I felt my heart squeeze in dread at what I faced working on - it was the drawer full of our old letters and cards. There were cards dating back to my 4th birthday (Birth - 3 yrs are stored elsewhere...). There were letters from my grandmother who passed 4 years ago and I still cry over. But I did it. I turned that entire (fully stuffed) drawer into a small pile of things that would fit in an envelope.

The fourth drawer is half filled with my husband's things. He will work on it this weekend when he gets home from working away, but I know he will be even more ruthless than me. :)

All of this culling was lucky. I managed to fit the remains of the first three drawers of the old filing cabinet into the TOP DRAWER of the new one. Despite everything I kept.... Then I opened the second drawer to store my husband's papers until he arrives home and realised that there are no file runners in the bottom drawer!

Here's hoping he doesn't want to keep more than one envelope of papers himself! :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #274 on: February 19, 2016, 03:40:52 PM »
This is inspiring.

I have a four drawer wood file cabinet (legal size)  and a 2 drawer metal one (letter size).  I just shifted all my bank statements from paper to e-statements and am in the process of downloading them (they disappear after 7 years, and I am downloading the old ones, just in case).  I am starting to shred old bank statements.  What a feeling!  There have been just enough times that I needed old statements that I was glad I had saved them (separation and and divorce issues) but I hated having all the paper.

Next is shifting to e-statements for Hydro.  Phone bills have been electronic for years, ever since I dropped Bell and went with Fido's second number plan for the home phone.

I had the book out of the library last spring and cleared out a lot, but the paper mess totally defeated me.

Oh wow. I've spent the last few days working on our filing cabinet. This was a big job. I haven't touched it since our last child was born in 2007! I've only added to it in that time.

Our filing cabinet is (was) a 4 drawer cabinet made out of some sort of laminated, compressed wood-type of material. We've had it for about 12 years and have been very naughty and moved house 4 times with it remaining completely filled. We've just taped the drawers closed. This had made it very rickety. Luckily, I managed to get a sturdy, lockable replacement filing cabinet from our local version of Craigslist. It cost about $20 and I didn't look inside when I picked it up....just loaded it into the back of the car. That was about a year ago....

Anyway, I tackled the old cabinet. I began with the top drawer, which held things like our most recent bills, bank statements, degrees, etc. This was an easy drawer, though I did keep more than Marie Kondo would suggest. I still have our tax returns back to 1998, and bank statements and payslips dating back 7 years. :)

The next drawer was older bank statements, bills and the like. I got rid of everything that was pre-2009.

Into the third drawer (on the third day) and for the first time in all of my KonMarie-ing I felt my heart squeeze in dread at what I faced working on - it was the drawer full of our old letters and cards. There were cards dating back to my 4th birthday (Birth - 3 yrs are stored elsewhere...). There were letters from my grandmother who passed 4 years ago and I still cry over. But I did it. I turned that entire (fully stuffed) drawer into a small pile of things that would fit in an envelope.

The fourth drawer is half filled with my husband's things. He will work on it this weekend when he gets home from working away, but I know he will be even more ruthless than me. :)

All of this culling was lucky. I managed to fit the remains of the first three drawers of the old filing cabinet into the TOP DRAWER of the new one. Despite everything I kept.... Then I opened the second drawer to store my husband's papers until he arrives home and realised that there are no file runners in the bottom drawer!

Here's hoping he doesn't want to keep more than one envelope of papers himself! :)

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #275 on: March 11, 2016, 12:30:32 PM »
Thatbrowncat,

I know what you mean about folding clothes knomari style- revolutionary!  The real shock is that I am still doing it months later. And recently I started keeping my socks in a shallow drawer and standing them up so they are all visible like the shirts and knickers. When I open the drawer and see my socks my heart feels a burst of joy.  Weird, right?

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #276 on: March 11, 2016, 12:42:06 PM »
Re: the handbag emptying.

Are a lot of folks doing that?  It makes no sense to me to add that chore to my day.  I remove receipts, tissues and things I only needed for one day and then my bag is ready for the next day.

Recently I have been revisiting places that got cluttered again. One place was my closet which accumulated all the mending, sewing and darning projects.  I am pleased that this time around I tossed many of them.  But, until I actually complete those projects they are taking up room.

I tried committing to mending three things a week but no luck. 

Almost every area that gets cluttered now is due to some incomplete repairs, mending or unfinished clean out.

Anyone else in this boat?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2016, 04:53:16 PM »

Are a lot of folks doing that?  It makes no sense to me to add that chore to my day.  I remove receipts, tissues and things I only needed for one day and then my bag is ready for the next day.

Recently I have been revisiting places that got cluttered again. One place was my closet which accumulated all the mending, sewing and darning projects.  I am pleased that this time around I tossed many of them.  But, until I actually complete those projects they are taking up room.

I tried committing to mending three things a week but no luck. 

Almost every area that gets cluttered now is due to some incomplete repairs, mending or unfinished clean out.

Anyone else in this boat?
I'm around the same place as you, Wintersun. I clear out my bags at the end of the week, not every day. It helps me remember where things are on Monday morning, as I use a backpack, handbag and sometimes just grab keys and phone over the course of a week and weekend.

I'm still folding all the clothes and, oddly, even underwear! Never thought I'd do that.

My mending basket gets pulled out every couple of weeks and I don't try to do X pieces, I just do it for a certain amount of time.arealso treat it like a craft project, because it takes time I'd otherwise spend on new crafts.

Note my only messy areas are where we leave housework half-finished, and our study as we aren't quite through the CDs and paperwork. It's amazing how much less effort it is to DO housework, though! I can tidy in 10 minutes, instead of an hour or more!

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: March 12, 2016, 04:00:20 AM »

I think this tip is aimed at people who have lots of bags and switch between them? I only use one bag so it doesn't make sense for me to take things out and put them back if their place is in the bag.

Like you, I do find it useful to empty stuff from my bag that doesn't need to be there everyday. I don't necessarily wear the same lipstick everyday, don't need to keep receipts in there, etc. It helps to keep the bag tidy.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: March 27, 2016, 05:06:09 AM »
I've read the book several times, and am just starting on my KM process. I've done my wardrobe, next is my shoes and bags.

I think often the initial message is missed by people. That is, why are you doing this? Delving down into your deepest most inner motivation for starting the process has been key for me to keep me going this time. I've started the process several times as well (each time I've read the book, in fact!) and have stopped before getting all the way through.

This time I did the exercise she suggests about investigating your motivation first, before you start. Don't dive in and just do it or you'll fizzle out. I have it all written down (some deeply personal stuff which I'm not happy to share) but doing this really makes it all a lot easier, because your mind will tell you one way or the other whether you should keep or discard a piece. It all just flows.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: March 28, 2016, 01:29:55 PM »
I read this a few months ago.  I definitely used the motivation it gave me to get rid of a bunch of clothes (I had about 45 sundresses/skirts, apparently.  Ridiculous.), but after the clothes and the filing cabinet, I ran out of steam.  The biggest problem I had was that I felt like I didn't finish the "clothes" portion correctly.  I'm pregnant with our first kid, due at the end of May, and I have absolutely no idea what my body will change to be like after delivery and breastfeeding.  There are definitely clothes that I love that I'm worried will never fit again, and clothes that are so-so that I don't want to get rid of in case nothing else fits right. 

Overall, though, I really enjoyed the premise of the book.  Only keeping things that bring you joy is an amazing idea.  I have so many knick-knacks and decorations that I keep because they have sentimental value, but I actually don't like to display them that much.  There are other things that I'd far rather look at.  DH is totally down with the "get rid of all of your paper" idea, too.  He hates things cluttering up counters and workspaces.

DH is out of town for a few days, though, so I think I'll revisit some problem areas like our basement storage and the office.  If nothing else I can fold all of my maternity clothes nicely :)

mnsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: July 17, 2016, 02:16:21 PM »
I think some of the areas I'm going to have problems with, trying out her method, are:

1: Things I'm keeping because I'll definitely use them some day. For example, I have way too many socks - they don't even fit in my large drawer. However, socks eventually wear out so I can't see throwing out perfectly good ones just because I have too many right now. Anyone have any ideas about this type of thing?

After decluttering my dresser I had too many socks/underwear but plenty of space in another drawer. I took some of the socks/underwear (still newish/and that I liked) and put it in a shoe box in another drawer. As things get worn out I have replacements ready to go but don't need to buy any for quite some time.

mnsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2016, 06:17:52 PM »
I read this a few months ago.  I definitely used the motivation it gave me to get rid of a bunch of clothes (I had about 45 sundresses/skirts, apparently.  Ridiculous.), but after the clothes and the filing cabinet, I ran out of steam.  The biggest problem I had was that I felt like I didn't finish the "clothes" portion correctly.  I'm pregnant with our first kid, due at the end of May, and I have absolutely no idea what my body will change to be like after delivery and breastfeeding.  There are definitely clothes that I love that I'm worried will never fit again, and clothes that are so-so that I don't want to get rid of in case nothing else fits right. 

Go though the clothes and get rid of any you hate and store the maybe clothes you like elsewhere? And label and date those box? That way they aren't taking up space and you can revisit those clothes next year. In in the process of losing weight and went though all the too small stuff and got rid of anything I wouldn't wear if I magically became that size overnight. The stuff that I think I would wear are in boxes under my bed and dated. If I can't fit into those clothes by that date (or are really close) then they'll be donated.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!