Author Topic: The Life-Changing Art of Tidying-Up  (Read 95166 times)

BigBigote

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: The Life-Changing Art of Tidying-Up
« Reply #200 on: August 14, 2015, 12:31:21 AM »
Finally got the book from the library! I enjoyed it and found a lot of it did speak to me (I think items do have emotional "baggage" associated with them) but I will admit, some of it was a bit much for me... I'm probably not going to start telling my house that I'm home! And I'm certainly not going to empty my bag every single day when I come home so it can rest!!

But all that aside, I really think the book is super motivating and challenges you to rethink the way you look at your stuff.  I for one am feeling ready to be a lot more brutal with my belongings, as most of what I own does not spark any joy whatsoever.  Imagine a home filled with only the things that bring you joy... my packrat tendencies make it hard to even dream!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #201 on: August 14, 2015, 03:44:48 AM »
I still haven't Kondoed my stuff but yesterday I signed up and paid for a stand at a local fleamarket. It's on the first weekend of September so now the pressure is on to get stuff moving. I'm still not convinced that anyone will be willing to pay for my baggy, misshapen, old t-shirts but apparently I would be amazed. So, it'll be priced to sell (something like 50c each, 5 for €2) and anything that doesn't sell will go straight to the donations bin on the way home. Once I got started thinking about it I started thinking I should really make the most of the opportunity and not just get rid of clothes so now that I have a deadline, I think a lot of time the next few weekends will be spent doing this. Even running through things in my head I find the idea of "does it bring me joy" constantly filtering everything.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: August 27, 2015, 10:06:28 PM »
Okay! I gave in and read it!

And the brainwashing worked! I liked it! I'm like hell yeah I'm gonna go around my apartment having relationships with my things like I'm a character in a goddamn Studio Ghibli movie!

And I actually saw parallels to things I like in mustachianism, like building a practical chore around philosophical values, building a lifestyle of concurrent benefits, making what may seem like extreme decisions but are actually geared towards making your life more efficient and less of a struggle.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #203 on: August 28, 2015, 12:39:59 AM »

And the brainwashing worked! I liked it! I'm like hell yeah I'm gonna go around my apartment having relationships with my things like I'm a character in a goddamn Studio Ghibli movie!
And how cool is it to pretend you're in a Ghibli movie! I fo7nd it so much fun!

And I actually saw parallels to things I like in mustachianism, like building a practical chore around philosophical values, building a lifestyle of concurrent benefits, making what may seem like extreme decisions but are actually geared towards making your life more efficient and less of a struggle.
I have found laundry easier since I started folding all my clothes so I could see them and actually really enjoying doing it. The extra work made the overall job less work.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #204 on: August 28, 2015, 12:54:02 AM »

And how cool is it to pretend you're in a Ghibli movie! I fo7nd it so much fun!

I have found laundry easier since I started folding all my clothes so I could see them and actually really enjoying doing it. The extra work made the overall job less work.

I enjoy doing laundry now too!
Besides the obviously great feeling of clean laundry and getting something done..I love holding laundry too!
I was always tidy and organized ( I thought? ), putting everything back in its place ( and everything has a place!), is very fulfilling .
It's a trip, but it really makes sense.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #205 on: August 28, 2015, 06:41:33 AM »

I felt exactly the same about it.  "I gave in and read it".  I expected to be annoyed and not bother with doing anything.  (Bad attitude I know).  But I Kondo'd my bedroom closet and it looks great.  Did part of the dresser too. 

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #206 on: August 28, 2015, 08:39:11 AM »
I had to google  Studio Ghibli....(did I say that out loud?) Maybe I should have been born in Japan. Apparently you can be a very rich person there with a fertile imagination.

Regardless, point well taken about the book vs. the Studio Ghibli reference. While I wouldn't say Marie's book is total fantasy, I would say some elements of it could mesh well with one of those kind of movies - "thanking your stuff for it's service", etc.

The bottom line is that this young lady took her incredible imagination everywhere she could find on the topic of tidying and ended up with a masterwork on the psychology of self-organization and coming to terms with your stuff. Her thoughts on why we have stuff and what it should be doing for us are pure genius, a concept most people quickly learn to forget in their rush to the store to buy more stuff.

Can anyone summarize the terms being invented from the book? Like "Kondo'ed", etc?

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: August 28, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »
Can anyone summarize the terms being invented from the book? Like "Kondo'ed", etc?
She calls her method the KonMari method - her name is Marie Kondo and KonMari is a nickname. But, in the way that often happens, people won't always use the word they're given and sometimes just find their own. In this case Kondo'ed is just the verb that has been made out of her name to denote following her method. :)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #208 on: August 28, 2015, 12:07:25 PM »
She calls her method the KonMari method - her name is Marie Kondo and KonMari is a nickname. But, in the way that often happens, people won't always use the word they're given and sometimes just find their own. In this case Kondo'ed is just the verb that has been made out of her name to denote following her method. :)

I've read the book and I already saw that one in this thread, so that one's obvious to me. What I'm asking is, if there are others. Is there a lexicon growing around the ideas in the book?

Essentially I'm asking if the book is spawning a spate of memes?

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2015, 09:16:38 AM »
I read this book while on a 26-day trip through 11 countries. It was interesting to read it while I was in the midst of living out of a very tiny backpack for a month and still living a life of abundance and privilege. I came back home and promptly got rid of about 30% of the stuff I own over the course of a few weeks of working after work and on the weekends, including a couch that lived in my bedroom (where I really don't need a couch and it barely fit) that I was holding on to for "my next apartment". The biggest benefit was making myself stop holding on to things out of guilt because someone gave them to me or because some future life I was imagining might use them.

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #210 on: September 12, 2015, 09:17:41 PM »
I just read this today and am eager to get started. But I feel like I have a number of questions that aren't really answered or addressed.

Like, what do I do with my kids' stuff? My daughter is 4, and never met an article of clothing, toy, or book she didn't like. My son is 1 1/2 and is too little to care. When I'm shopping for clothes for them (especially for him, since he doesn't care what he wears), I try to look for what gives me joy and I look forward to pulling out of their drawer every day. But do I need to make sure a pair of shorts that will be worn for 1 season resonates with my kid's soul? And what about the boxes in the basement of clothes for them to grow into, or clothes they've grown out of that may be worn by an (as yet hypothetical) sibling? And that's saying nothing of toys... can I try to sneak out the toys *I* hate that they never play with?

If I do this, will I have any clothes left? I have a sneaking suspicion I don't much like most of my wardrobe. I don't know if I want to devote the $ to buying new clothes once I get rid of 75% of mine. What about utilitarian clothes? A fair % of my maternity clothes are not thrilling, but same question as before, they'll only be worn for one season, can I just brazen it out? (I'm not pregnant, but may be in the future.)

How does this square with frugality? I have two winter coats. I don't like either of them. They were given to me and aren't my style. But they're perfectly serviceable. If I dump them, I'm forced to buy another. I can envision the coats I'd like to replace them with, but I'm not sure that's where I want to put $300.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: September 13, 2015, 12:55:33 AM »
I have a one year old and can totally relate to you about clothes and toys. Here is my take on it:

* baby clothes: I buy only the ones that I love wearing for her (easy to wear ones, comfortable ones, pretty ones) and the ones her dad likes as well. Same with hand me downs. I'm ruthless in not having clothes that don't fit her (too small or too long ones) in her closet. This makes dressing her up super easy!

* baby toys: I throw anything that I didn't like (blaring sounds, annoying lights, small pieces, etc) or that I'm sure she won't grow into. Her favorites are out for her to play and the rest are in a box so they can come visit her when she is bored of her favorites.

* clothes/toys for next kid: I have a small tub of it for the next kid (try to keep it gender neutral and have only clean and favorite clothes). Anything more and I toss it - I can always buy second hand ones if needed when the next kid comes around. You can choose how much you wish to keep based on how much space you have.

* maternity clothes: I chose to keep my jeans (found these after a lot of tries - not going to go through that pain again) and a few tops (some special ones that I particularly loved) but gave away the rest. I can always buy more or get from my friends if needed.

* current closet: I chose to keep all my favorites and a few pieces that, though I didn't like much, found myself wearing all the time. Eg: I have a black cardigan I don't particularly like but its used almost every few days. I still have it in my closet but I'm on the hunt for a good one I like - till then I'm hanging on to that one. But again, if you don't like 75% of your closet, do you still wear that 75% all the time? If you never wear it or have to force yourself to wear it, wouldn't it be better to be out of your closet than to be in and be clutter? Same with coats. Keep the ones you like but be on the lookout for the one you really want. When you find it at an affordable price, let these go.

In short, don't worry about replacing everything now. Just start with obvious ones you hate and as time goes, you'll know which ones you like enough to replace with better ones.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #212 on: September 13, 2015, 02:04:27 PM »
I read that most people only wear about 20% of what is in their closet. After I semi-retired I got ruthless & probably got rid of half or more of my clothes. I did buy a few new ones. Now all though my hanging space is half empty i like everything in there. When I was in the child bearing phase I kept maternity clothes until I knew I was done having kids. I also kept the hand me down clothes & gave them away as the 3rd child out grew them. I did the same with the toys.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #213 on: September 13, 2015, 03:50:16 PM »
Do to periodic influx of very stylish clothing from coworkers closets, I had no qualms about downsizing my wardrobe to a minimum. I usually have: 2 dresses ( cannot stand dresses ), 2 pants, 2 pj's, 2 skirts, 2 t-shirts ( for exercise, sleep, or painting ), and around a dozen tops, 4 coats, 2 hoodies. Variation in my outfits comes from tops, coats, and jewelry, not to mention lipstick color. Maybe not minimal to some standards... I purge regularly as castoffs I like come in .

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #214 on: September 13, 2015, 03:54:19 PM »
Well, I went through the clothes (except the downstairs coat closet and the shoes). 2 trash bags full to trash, about another trash bag full that seems to be in good enough condition to donate or give away, and a few "sentimental" items I can't quite bring myself to part with yet. Might I make a throw quilt out of my old T-shirts from college? Maybe... don't know what I'd do with it once I had it. Can I bring myself to throw out sweaters I knit myself that I don't wear? I don't know. (I did throw out some hand-knit socks that were falling apart though.) So I stuck it all to one side and I'll deal with it later. I'll keep the one of two pairs of work-suitable pants that I have, even though I don't much like them, but if I find a replacement, or if I lose 5 lbs and can fit back into the other 3 pairs that I really like, I'll get rid of them.

I got rid of a lot of kind of old, tired stuff and I still have plenty of casual stuff left! It was dragging me down to have such a high percentage of my wardrobe be "still wearable but kind of bleh".

My daughter is not receptive to the idea of letting go of stuff. We've had a plastic shoe on our counter for months now that belongs to some doll we don't even have. My husband says he thinks we got it in a box of blocks we got secondhand like 5 years ago. (He should have just thrown it out! I thought it went to a doll we actually have.) My daughter went to pieces when I threw this in the trash, even though if I'd asked her yesterday I guarantee she wouldn't have even known we had it.

My husband isn't opposed to the idea of decluttering a little, but he says he doesn't feel dragged down by stuff the way I do. Oh well. I'll work on my stuff and the papers, since I manage 98% of the financial/practical stuff for both of us. Anything left over I'll stick in his office and pretend it doesn't exist. LOL. I think I can convince him to let me organize the kitchen and family room without too much trouble.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
Threw out 17 garbage bags and 5 car loads to Goodwill with this purge. After reading, I still feel like there's too much in my house too!

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: September 14, 2015, 03:18:37 AM »
My daughter is not receptive to the idea of letting go of stuff. We've had a plastic shoe on our counter for months now that belongs to some doll we don't even have. My husband says he thinks we got it in a box of blocks we got secondhand like 5 years ago. (He should have just thrown it out! I thought it went to a doll we actually have.) My daughter went to pieces when I threw this in the trash, even though if I'd asked her yesterday I guarantee she wouldn't have even known we had it.
As someone who struggles mightily with letting go of things, I can only recommend that you really try to put some time into dealing with this now. Obviously my issues colour my perception of this, though. Part of my problem is the fact that my step-mother used to frequently just throw stuff out. I was a teenager at that stage and not just a kid so perhaps my hormonal self just reacted very badly although my younger brother and sister also became quite bad at hoarding. Anyway, The Frugal Girl did a few posts on how to declutter with kids a while back that you might find interesting.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #217 on: September 19, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »
Does anyone else still have a messy house after doing this purge? I don't seem to have that much around anymore- I think I might just be lazy...

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: September 19, 2015, 01:47:45 PM »
Does anyone else still have a messy house after doing this purge? I don't seem to have that much around anymore- I think I might just be lazy...

When I am incredibly busy or ill for several days in a row, yes. But as soon as I'm able, I tidy (&it takes virtually no time at all) promptly. However, I don't have a live-in husband (yet) or kids.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #219 on: September 19, 2015, 04:25:04 PM »
One thing that might help is each night before going to bed, go into each room in the house and look for things that aren't where they belong, and put them away. It should take less than 10 minutes if you started the day with everything in its place, and prevents messes from building up. This may not work as well for people with kids, but it works pretty well at my kid-less house.

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #220 on: September 19, 2015, 05:16:39 PM »
Page 1:

"Start by discarding."

I do admit, I have too much stuff. That includes too much furniture, too many books, too many old boxes of papers/bills, too many things that we never use and don't love. I need to get ruthless about this.

NDQ

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2015, 11:54:06 AM »
I read this book and then followed the principles with very good results.  I did in fact get rid of a lot of crap- sold it I mean.  It was an effective method for deciding whether to get rid of something especially gifts others gave (but I didn't like).  I actually made about $500 from selling everything which went right into my 'stache.  Most of it I didn't even remember that I had. 

Another nice side-effect is that it's easier to clean my house b/c I'm not having to find a place for all that stuff.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #222 on: September 24, 2015, 06:15:24 PM »
I read this book over a month ago and didn't capitalize on the momentum. Now I have to start all over again.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2015, 01:17:32 AM »
I read this book and then followed the principles with very good results.  I did in fact get rid of a lot of crap- sold it I mean.  It was an effective method for deciding whether to get rid of something especially gifts others gave (but I didn't like).  I actually made about $500 from selling everything which went right into my 'stache.  Most of it I didn't even remember that I had. 

Another nice side-effect is that it's easier to clean my house b/c I'm not having to find a place for all that stuff.

That is the one thing I've totally been procrastinating on- SELLING. I hav several valuables I hav ready to go, but hav made otherwise no effort. I really just need to get on with it. My worry is always that I'll get ripped off. But truly I can do the research, there's certainly plenty available. Also, if I make anything, really its better than continuing to hold onto these things, not making money, and having that nagging feeling.... :)

Merrie

• Bristles
« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »
I am still plugging away at this. The author says that once your space is perfectly tidied and filled solely with things that give you joy, you won't want to rebound and will naturally want to keep it so nice. I get that. Which is why my living space is partly things that are organized great, and partly piles of other crap. I really want to get this all done now, but it is hard doing it living with little kids and working full-time. My daughter (4) has actually been pretty helpful as far as helping me sort items, talk about them, put unwanted stuff in the trash, etc. but I can't leave piles of stuff out with my son (19 months) around, he'll just destroy things, so each decluttering event has to be started and finished promptly and typically when he is in bed.

Winter's Tale

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: November 11, 2015, 01:46:50 PM »
Replying to follow.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #227 on: November 28, 2015, 11:08:57 PM »
Replying to follow.

Hitting the "notify" button will also follow the thread for you without the need for a message.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #228 on: November 29, 2015, 12:57:58 AM »
I started sorting our books into type today. It will help when we can see how many of each category we have to work out which give us joy, because it's too overwhelming otherwise. Our house has been tidy for over a week since we sorted the junk room. It doesn't exist anymore! In its place we have a lovely airy playroom!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »
I just moved last weekend after having Kondo'd everything I own about 4 months back- and I haven't had this easy of a packing process since I lived in a 100-square-foot dome! My partner also had to move, and a week later has over 15 boxes of stuff left to unpack (with nowhere to put them in this 1-bedroom apartment) plus a chunk of stuff to move into storage at one of his rental houses and I'm completely unpacked and relaxed. I even stacked all of my fabric stash vertically like books :-)

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #230 on: November 29, 2015, 09:01:35 PM »
I did my clothes months ago and nothing has rebounded. I really like the way of storing tshirts and tank tops in drawers so they can all be seen.

This book really helped me with that. I need to get back to the process of discarding, which is really hard for me even though some (most?) of this stuff is just worthless.

Another thing I have learned from this process is that I like rooms fairly empty and sparsely furnished.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2015, 07:25:17 AM »
I will be buying hardcover copies of this book for 2 different White Elephant gift exchanges and a copy for my mom who has hoarder-tendencies (grew up poor).

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2015, 10:53:24 PM »
Sold a coffee storage that we really liked but ended up cluttering our living space. Now the living room looks big and open.

Also folded all my clothes in konmari style and now have a half closet totally empty... And has stayed empty for 3+ months.

Now I'm eyeing our TV stand but that would be a bigger push.

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #233 on: December 01, 2015, 03:43:45 AM »
I finally bought myself a copy as a treat when we were on holidays in Oct/Nov. Am reading it slowly, enjoying it like good chocolate.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: December 01, 2015, 09:36:31 AM »
I haven't read the book yet - it's on my library list but I have a long time before it gets to me in the queue.

I saw some pictures of people's drawers so I took some time a few weeks ago, went through my clothes, and rolled them up as described in the book and holy cow!  It is just so much better to be able to see all of your clothes at once in your drawers, and it makes your clothes selection look so much more appealing.  I am using shirts that I had forgotten about because they had migrated under other clothes.  I also pared my wardrobe down of stuff that I never really wore. 

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #235 on: December 01, 2015, 07:06:44 PM »
So maybe I should post this in 'ask a mustachian', but papers. . .

Since none of them bring me joy, I thought the best way to go thorough this was with a must keep list, does anyone have a checklist for items that should be kept?  I looked on-line and haven't found one that seems to make sense.

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #236 on: December 02, 2015, 08:17:22 AM »
So maybe I should post this in 'ask a mustachian', but papers. . .

Since none of them bring me joy, I thought the best way to go thorough this was with a must keep list, does anyone have a checklist for items that should be kept?  I looked on-line and haven't found one that seems to make sense.

Anything related to property, insurance, or taxes can be scanned and stored on the cloud (e.g. Google Drive, DropBox, etc.)

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2015, 01:28:02 PM »
Anything related to property, insurance, or taxes can be scanned and stored on the cloud (e.g. Google Drive, DropBox, etc.)

Maybe it is just me, but having a mess of documents on the cloud isn't any better to me than having them in a manila folder.

In other news, while going thorough my books, I did a quick amazon search to see if any of them were worth anything and it turned out that one of them was and I made ~$75 by selling one in about 2 days!

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2015, 05:52:44 PM »
I like Suze Orman's list (igsbase/igstemplate.cfm?SRC=MD012&SRCN=aoedetails&GnavID=84&SnavID=20&TnavID&AreasofExpertiseID=17)

I try to keep them on the cloud as much as possible

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »
Topic at the Thanksgiving dinner table was the volume of laundry my Mom & siblings do in each of their houses.  I realized how much less we have to do now that we've pared our belongings via Kondo. 
I'm not done downsizing.  Still have books, papers & mementos to purge. 
But flinging excess clothes and dishes did quite a number on our efficiency.  We basically have a single bowl, plate, mug & drinking glass per person.  If it's not washed as soon as you eat, it's not available for the next meal, so clean-up is automatic.  A sink full of dirty dishes or mile high piles of dirty laundry are impossible even if everything we owned were dirty. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #240 on: December 05, 2015, 04:48:12 AM »
I pulled all our books of the shelves and into one room today, then DH and I did a first pass over them, picking the books we wanted to keep and the ones we thought should go into two piles. The ones at least one person wanted to keep all fit on one bookshelf. The other pile, "at least one person didn't want it", we'll go through again tomorrow. I  think we'll end up getting rid of 1/5 of our books now, and then continually reduce as we get used to it, probably down another 1/5.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: December 05, 2015, 05:13:26 AM »
I'm throwing away my Hopi ear candles today as I was reading last night that they have little value.

Marie Kondo is coming out with another book!

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1607749726/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1DVVPREDF9G9RQTTNSCK&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2079475242&pf_rd_i=desktop

Do you think it will be the same as the first one?

YogiKitti

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #242 on: December 05, 2015, 05:43:41 PM »

My understanding is that it goes in-depth into some specific areas of the house, whereas the first book talked about the general ideas.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #243 on: December 05, 2015, 09:25:52 PM »
Now that she's had a baby, I'm interested to see if she has any tips for handling kids related stuff

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #244 on: December 06, 2015, 03:47:12 AM »

My understanding is that it goes in-depth into some specific areas of the house, whereas the first book talked about the general ideas.

Oh, okay.:) I put it on my wishlist on Amazon to see what the reviews are like. I follow this thread and a few others so I keep thinking people will probably buy it and then pass on any new information.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2015, 05:41:00 AM »
I understand she's actually written about 4 books, but they're slowly being translated to English, so this one may have been written pre-baby. I bought the first but I think I'll just read others thoughts on the second like you're planning, Londoner38

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #246 on: December 25, 2015, 11:06:34 AM »
At my digital library!  Psyched, on hold for months though.  Doesn't matter, my Kindle reminds me; life is good.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: December 25, 2015, 03:59:10 PM »
Finally put up our TV on the wall so we can sell/donate our TV stand. Bonus: I also cleared out all the junk that was in the stand's storage areas (four shelves and a drawer). I'm still finding places for some (DVDs and wires) but the rest are gone. Now to actually sell the TV stand.

My husband's comments: the family room looks bigger and more posh! Yays!!

We also hung up some artwork - with each of these changes done, I'm realizing I'm loving this room more and more. Thanks to konmari, our house (2 bed,2 bath) looks very spacious and we use half our storage space. I'm wondering if it would make sense to move to a smaller house but we love our open spaces :)

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #248 on: December 26, 2015, 08:35:01 PM »
We are moving cross country this summer so I'm in major purge mode. Reading online about her ideas and I think they'll help.

My only problem is I'd like to try to sell most of the stuff which makes it a very slow trickle out rather than clearing out everything we've ear marked to go. I'd really like the potential money as it'll help us replace some things when we move. Just want things as cleared out as possible before we list our house for sale in the spring.

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #249 on: December 28, 2015, 05:18:15 AM »
Does anyone else have the "problem" that they purge so much that the room looks a bit too empty? I have an Expedit from Ikea and used to have books in it (color coded like the nerd that I am) and some other nice stuff. I got rid off (well, it's still in the home, figuring out what to do with it, sell or donate) approximately 40 books but now it looks less nice (with about 20 books). So I like to be only surrounded by the stuff that brings me joy but now the look of the Expedit brings me less joy?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!