Author Topic: The Happiest Kids in the World  (Read 2928 times)

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
The Happiest Kids in the World
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:20:37 AM »
I am currently reading, "The Happiest Kids in the World: How Dutch Parents Help Their Kids (and Themselves) by Doing Less."

I am only about 75% through the book.  I might do a more in depth post on my blog once I finish, but I keep noticing some stoic/rational themes as exhibited in the Dutch approach to child rearing and other aspects of modern life, such as not making birthdays, vacations, and holidays big consumerist, pressure-cookers.  I think many "mustachian" parents will find it interesting. 

They also seem to value teaching the kids self-reliance and resourcefulness at least as much as safety. It seems like, at least as described by the two expat authors (one American and one Brit), the Dutch are applying a sort of logical probability analysis to the risks of letting your kids bike or play without constant supervision (i.e., weighing the very low risk of abduction against the virtual certainty of raising a totally reliant, fear-crippled adult, if the child is over-nannied).

The book also talks about the traditions of making gifts for one another and of large flea markets where many people sell and buy used goods (including an annual market where kids can swap out toys).

I am enjoying it pretty thoroughly (especially for a parenting book). 

In full disclosure, I grew up in the U.S. with Dutch, immigrant neighbors who kept me quite a lot. So it might hold some additional fascination for me.  It also might be a bit heavy on the equality bent for many Americans.  But it should be easy to tweak some of the strategies to allow for a bit more "exceptionalism." 
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 10:12:41 AM by CorpRaider »

Kmp2

• Bristles
Re: The Happiest Kids in the World
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2018, 05:48:05 PM »
I read this over Christmas and I loved it!

Everything from their schooling methodology to their after birth care resonated with me :)

that, and I LOVE bicycles!

There is a similar book out about the Danes that is now on my reading list, after I finish the Swedish book 'There is no such thing as bad weather'