Author Topic: THE COMPANY MEN --- MOVIE  (Read 2871 times)

jrbrokerr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
THE COMPANY MEN --- MOVIE
« on: June 30, 2017, 02:58:21 PM »
Not a book, but The Company Men, movie (actors Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones, etc) is a very good example of why you should be frugal even when having a good paying job and also not overspending for innecessary stuff and toys.

I recommend it to all the Mustachian community!

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
Re: THE COMPANY MEN --- MOVIE
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 03:40:19 PM »
This was actually a decent Affleck movie. 

Just another example of no matter how good of an employee you are if you are not an owner with a significant stake you will never really know what is going to happen to the company or your job.  I have seem too many co-worker that stay at a company for 10+ years only to be laid off because the company changed direction, got bought out, or just went out of business.  It's always the employees that have not kept up their skill set or focused on some internal technology or process that have the hardest time getting another job.

There are also those people who have always lived though good times that do not know what it is like to struggle through a job loss, experienced a financial set back, or experience scarcity of anything, they just think that things will always be fine.  They get accustomed to the and feel entitled to the 'nicer' things in life as defined by commercials and the Jones'.

I personally feel fortunate to have experience scarcity so that I know my happiness is not dependent on extravagant things or luxuries as long as my basic necessities are met.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
This was actually a decent Affleck movie. 

Just another example of no matter how good of an employee you are if you are not an owner with a significant stake you will never really know what is going to happen to the company or your job.  I have seem too many co-worker that stay at a company for 10+ years only to be laid off because the company changed direction, got bought out, or just went out of business.  It's always the employees that have not kept up their skill set or focused on some internal technology or process that have the hardest time getting another job.

There are also those people who have always lived though good times that do not know what it is like to struggle through a job loss, experienced a financial set back, or experience scarcity of anything, they just think that things will always be fine.  They get accustomed to the and feel entitled to the 'nicer' things in life as defined by commercials and the Jones'.

I personally feel fortunate to have experience scarcity so that I know my happiness is not dependent on extravagant things or luxuries as long as my basic necessities are met.

I was one of those people - when I faced an extended layoff, it was a pretty harsh wake up call.  But I found MMM right when that was happening and I made some pretty big changes. 

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 10:17:44 PM »
I enjoyed the movie, which somehow managed to be not too heavy-handed (like Up In the Air was at times).

I've witnessed many rounds of layoffs (without being engulfed myself) and found their depiction of some of the particulars pleasantly realistic: a former boss of mine who is sort of like the Tommy Lee Jones character found out about some awkward-for-him layoffs going on while he was on the private jet with his boss (the VP) and the CEO and loudly cussed to himself and everyone on the plane in general throughout the entire flight.

jrbrokerr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 11:39:14 AM »
thatīs right  if youīre not the owner, you never will be safe of layoff rounds... better to be frugal and have your emergency fund aside; too sad to see someone who was financially stable (like Affleck in the movie) lose his house, move to his parents house and start all over again, and just because his spending was very above his income (club membership, football tickets, big house, porsche car, etc) canīt even imagine going through all beginning again; or like the guy who commits suicide because his life was his job, what a terrible scenario...

anyways, the movie reflects what people in real life go through when being laid off....