Author Topic: The $1000 Challenge: How One Family Slashed its Budget.....  (Read 2320 times)

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
Only a very brief note on this book.

Brian O'Connor's story about trying to cut $1000 per month from his family's spending is surprisingly good. The problem, for this venue anyway, is that it's mostly pre-mustachian. It contains good advice for anyone needing to stay out of debt, deal with unexpected income loss, etc., but there wasn't much to take away from it if you're already on the right path and reading MMM. The most mustachian thing about his advice, and it's almost unintentional, is that it emphasizes that improving your financial position is mostly about the sum of many small, easy and painless changes, while throwing in the occasional crowbar like considering ditching the car. He makes good points about the psychology of money, and having lived it, isn't preaching from up on high.

What pleases me most about this book is simply that it exists, and isn't full of howlers like so much of the financial writing  often mocked here. I hope that the right people find this book and it helps them. Perhaps it's good gift material for the people in our lives who need a nudge in this direction. On the other hand, that might be a gift that says a little too much, like giving someone a stick of deodorant.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The $1000 Challenge: How One Family Slashed its Budget.....
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:43:08 PM »
Ah, I see now that this one has already been addressed here:
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/mustachian-book-club/the-$1-000-challenge/

Sorry about the duplication.