Author Topic: I need a mustacharian "audiobook" recommendation  (Read 3336 times)

Unionville

• Pencil Stache
I need a mustacharian "audiobook" recommendation
« on: March 18, 2017, 08:06:06 PM »
I want to close my audible account and I am at my wits end trying to decide what to use my 1 credit for 1 book. All the frugal/finance books seem to be get rich screams. Any recommendations?

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
Re: I need a mustacharian "audiobook" recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »
There's no rush. I ended my subscription service and still got to keep my remaining credit.

The best finance book I've read hands down has been A Random Walk Down Wall Street. Many of the others haven't said any more than what's readily available on finance blogs (and have said it with equally unimpressive writing).

If you're interested in broader things like how the 2008 crash happened and why it was such a mess afterwards, I'd recommend Neil Barofsky's Bailout.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »
Are there any books available by Jack Bogle and read by him? He's the founder of Vanguard, incredibly knowledgeable, and has a lovely deep voice.

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 08:46:42 PM »
The 3-book bundle Your Way to Success is a good value for one credit. I liked the first book better than the next two (different narrator), but even then it's a good deal. Each book is a collection of book summaries for the top books in their genre. So you get an overview of many famous books.

Vicster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:46 AM »
I discovered 'OverDrive' app that allows you to get audiobooks for free from your library :) I was doing Audible too and cancelled as didn't want to pay the amount each month.

https://www.overdrive.com/

So chuffed that I can get audiobooks and ebooks for free :) Happy days :)

dkaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 08:43:40 AM »
Through my library I can get a broad range of audiobooks.  One source is Overdrive, listed above.  In addition I can use Hoopla.  It can be a bit confusing to get started but I find I can get almost every book I'm looking for through one of those 2 sources.  Both allow you to download the book to your phone.  Overdrive works better but has fewer options than Hoopla which can be glitchy at times. 

I also have 2 library cards- one through home and one in the city I work in (this is something my employer worked out with the local city).  You might want to see if you have that option.  This in effect doubles my chance of getting a new hot book:) 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 02:19:44 PM »
Any of the Jack Reacher novels would be my suggestion, just kidding I know you were looking for a finance type book.

I enjoyed Richest Man in Babylon and Millionaire Next Door, but libraries might have them as that's where I got these from. I got "Zig Ziglar's Leadership" from Audible and enjoyed it.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 02:23:11 PM by MgoSam »

TheBuddha

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 10:06:24 PM »
I enjoyed Richest Man in Babylon and Millionaire Next Door, but libraries might have them as that's where I got these from. I got "Zig Ziglar's Leadership" from Audible and enjoyed it.

Richest Man in Babylon is a good audiobook (good narrator) but I wouldn't waste a credit on it; it's only $1.99 from Audible (which is not bad for a 4-hour book).