Author Topic: How to Survive without a Salary by Charles Long  (Read 5820 times)

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
How to Survive without a Salary by Charles Long
« on: July 24, 2016, 04:02:44 AM »
I'm rereading this excellent book by Charles Long that I read many years ago.  It's all about the conserver lifestyle and how limiting consumption and using up what we already have is better for individuals financially as well as being a whole hell of a lot better for the planet in general.

A quote from the book:

"The tragedy of the industrial age has been the overwhelming dominance of consumption as the measure of humanity.  Even work - each person's art, creation, and contribution to the world - has come to be measured not by its quality or human worth, but in its commercial value.  I am what I am paid.  I am what I consume.  I spend, therefore I am.  Like so many swine, we've allowed the economists to define us and rank us by our most basest animal instincts - our appetites."

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: How to Survive without a Salary by Charles Long
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 04:12:18 PM »
That's a good quote.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 08:52:46 AM »
His Life after the City was good too.  He also has some DIY books (i.e. cottage projects, stone masonry).

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 09:34:31 AM »
Shoot my library doesn't have "Life after the City".

They didn't have "Simple Path to Wealth" either so I put in a request for them to buy it.  That was awhile ago and they still don't have it.  Grrr.

logansandres

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 05:47:26 AM »
That's a good quote.
totally agree!