Author Topic: How to get into reading  (Read 2476 times)

JanF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How to get into reading
« on: April 20, 2017, 11:51:02 AM »
Hello fellow Mustaches!
I'm a new follower of the blog (barely on 2012) and I have lots of catching up to do. I really want to get into reading investment books and financial advice but I'm having a really tough time getting into the books. I've tried a few reading the books a few times before and I end up zoning out and reading without understanding. I partly blame the dry and boring content (I'm more of a fiction reader) and school for sucking dry my love for reading but I'm trying to seriously get myself into the FIRE path.
Any advice on how I can psych myself into enjoying and understanding these books?

Jan
Mustache status: bare like a baby's bottom.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: How to get into reading
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 12:02:18 PM »
I've read a ton of PF books and the two I'm going to recommend are old and will likely be scoffed at by others, but I understand your question and these two were instrumental in my quest for FIRE. (Reached in 2012, BTW.) They are both probably available used or better still, at your library. In no order of preference, "Ordinary People, Extraordinary Wealth"  and "The Wealthy Barber". The former is worth its weight in gold for the first chapter alone, and the latter may have been updated since I first read it. It was out of date then, so look to see if there's an updated version. It's told in the form of a parable, so pretty easy to follow and understand.

Other than that, I found blogs such as MMM to be amazingly helpful, in part because the articles tend to be shorter and laser focused.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 12:45:55 PM »
What works for me is to find something that closely aligns with my interests.

You said you really want to get on the FIRE path. You should check out every book that your library has concerning personal finance or retiring. Then go through them one-by-one, skimming, just reading the first chapter, until you find one that interests you. You should expect that MOST of the books you look at will not be interesting to you. This could take a while. When you find the one, you won't have to ask if it's the one. You won't be able to put it down.

This has always been successful for me finding something new to read. And usually, after I read one book, I can find a few more on related themes that are also great.

JanF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 09:36:57 AM »
Thanks! I'll try that.
I love MMM blogs because it's really informative and the examples are relatable and I feel like I can do it too (and I am doing it!). Plus the members are so supportive and helpful =]

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 11:33:05 AM »
Not to be rude, but I question the premise that you want to read  investment books and financial advice if you are having trouble getting through it.  I don't think most people need deep knowledge base to get the important stuff, (e.g., invest in index funds, save as much as you can).  However, if you are having trouble getting into the books then the subject may not be that interesting to you.  Just try as many different types of finance books as you can and when you notice you are falling asleep mid-way just try something else.  Everyone relates to different books in different ways, just gotta use the shotgun approach but remember no loss in abandoning something that you don't want to get through because if its not enjoyable you won't get as much out of it.   There is definitely a ton of info written out there.  In fact, I think going through the MMM blog is probably enough for most people, the other deeper reading is just for people who really like the subject, no sense in punishing yourself when there is more enjoyable things to do with your life.