Author Topic: Favourite novels that have poverty?  (Read 4583 times)

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Favourite novels that have poverty?
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2017, 10:05:19 AM »

Another one that's not fiction but reads like fiction, I can never recommend Mrs. Mike enough. It's about a young woman who, in the early 1900s, was recommended to go north to Canada (from Boston) for her health. She met and married a Mountie when she was 15 and they ended up moving up to the Yukon. It's one of my favorite books. It's not about poverty per se, but they definitely didn't have much and endured quite a lot.

I love Mrs. Mike!  Another sort of like that (this one's a novel, though) is Megan by Iris Noble, which is about a teenage Welsh orphan who gets adopted by a family emigrating to Alberta to farm.  And the family is pretty poor since they went into debt to buy farm equipment; the father and brother have to go back to the coal mines to make money.  I reread that book to TATTERS when I was thirteen! 
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."  Hunter S. Thompson

Follow my road here:  The Road To Mandalay

Feivel2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2017, 09:56:59 AM »
The Forever War. The main character goes from having nothing to having a lot.
Interesting to see how the compound interest is working.

But it's primarily a science fiction book, don't buy it just for the financial / poverty aspects.

AMandM

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »
Ralph Moody's books, beginning with Little Britches.  Kind of like the Little House books, but centered on a boy and ranching out west.  "Eggs is eighteen cents a dozen!" became a family saying after my husband read these out loud to the kids.

<i>Five Little Peppers and How they Grew</i>

Sidney Taylor's <i>All-of-a-Kind Family</i> books.  NYC's Lower East Side in the early 20th century. The central family is actually better off than many of their neighbours--they have a whole flat instead of a tenement--but the general  environment is one in which everyone has to be careful with money.

Many of Joan Aiken's children's book, the <i>Wolves</i> Chronicles and others, feature plucky, intrepid hero(in)es whose poverty is one of their sources of strength.

Comar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2017, 05:37:47 AM »
The Road by Cormac Mccarthy

I finished it a few days ago and it was one of the best books I've ever read. A father and his son pushing a grocery cart and trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world filled with cannibals. It really got to me, the relationship between the father and son. They REALLY appreciate what they have in the cart, for them it is a matter of living or dying.

Beautiful book. Made me cry.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2017, 02:27:16 PM »
+1 to Dickens.  They're always rags to riches to (usually) rags again.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »
"A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" does such a great job describing appreciating what one has, it treads really close to romanticizing poverty.
"The Secret Life of Bees" Farm life in the South in the 60's(?)...It's been a while.
"The Help" was interesting in its juxtaposition of the poverty and life circumstances of the housekeepers vs the generally well-to-do the women they serve(d).

From the engaging non-fiction side: the "Call the Midwife" trilogy.

bobechs

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
1. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

All Huck and Jim had was the raft, and they stole that everything on it and lost even all that before the ending.

2.  The Old Man and the Sea

Again, just a boat - oh, and a rotting fish and a dream- memory  (which may never have actually occured.)

3.  The Forsyte Saga

'Cause poverty is relative, don'cha know....

Sydneystache

• Stubble
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2017, 11:16:47 PM »

I finished it a few days ago and it was one of the best books I've ever read. A father and his son pushing a grocery cart and trying to survive in a post apocalyptic world filled with cannibals. It really got to me, the relationship between the father and son. They REALLY appreciate what they have in the cart, for them it is a matter of living or dying.

I watched the movie based on the book which scared the bejesus out of me - the cannibalism scene was pretty horrific. One is enough - how many times was that described in the book? *shivers*

I can imagine somewhere in the world (Democratic Republic of Congo?) this is a daily threat with the proliferation of bush meat and all that.

bobechs

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2017, 01:46:19 PM »

I watched the movie based on the book which scared the bejesus out of me - the cannibalism scene was pretty horrific. One is enough - how many times was that described in the book? *shivers*

I can imagine somewhere in the world (Democratic Republic of Congo?) this is a daily threat with the proliferation of bush meat and all that.

If cannibal themes creep you out, I would advise to steer well clear of The Three Stooges:

not to mention Gilligan's Island

you've been warned...

Sydneystache

• Stubble
  • Aiming for RE!
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2017, 03:54:33 PM »
@bobechs Ha! I like that the ladies of the Gilligan crew are still striking a pose with their high heels.

SisterX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2017, 09:14:41 AM »
I can't believe no one mentioned "Where the Red Fern Grows." I thought of it immediately - I remember how a square of tobacco was a huge deal, though maybe a bit more because it was a kid buying it. But they were definitely living in poverty.

Oh yeah! And there's always "The Outsiders". YA, but I read the shit out of that book in middle school. "Nothing gold can stay."

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2017, 04:39:39 PM »
A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
The Hunger Games Trilogy - Suzanne Collins

OthalaFehu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • OthalaFehu
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2017, 05:21:08 PM »

I would have said The Good Earth and The Grapes of Wraith, somebody else already did,

My new addition would be The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
One Day a Rains will come and wash away all you see before you, through Othala kept the true. https://othalafehu.wordpress.com

jengod

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2017, 11:02:35 PM »
Another one that's not fiction but reads like fiction, I can never recommend Mrs. Mike enough. It's about a young woman who, in the early 1900s, was recommended to go north to Canada (from Boston) for her health. She met and married a Mountie when she was 15 and they ended up moving up to the Yukon. It's one of my favorite books. It's not about poverty per se, but they definitely didn't have much and endured quite a lot.

Added to my wish list. In turn you might like Betty MacDonald's Anybody Can Do Anything (Great Depression), The Egg and I (chicken farm hard times), and Onions in the Stew (happy times after the war).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:06:28 PM by jengod »
Waste is lost profit made visible. #zerowastehome #permaculture

valsecito

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2017, 05:12:14 AM »
"Down and out in Paris and London", G. Orwell

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_and_Out_in_Paris_and_London

thesvenster

• Stubble
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
The Road maybe? Ha that's about extreme poverty

I like Growth of the Soil by Knut Hamsun. It's sort of about climbing out of poverty.

Lookilu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2017, 01:28:29 PM »
Not a novel, although it sometimes reads like one: All Over But The Shoutin' by Rick Bragg.

ditkanate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2017, 12:41:16 PM »
Angela's Ashes.

Poignant and funny.  Things may be bad, but there's always someone who's worse off.

I absolutely second this!  It's not fiction but a biography that reads as fiction.  ....Man, I really want to talk about a spoiler here, but I'll keep it zipped.

Just finished this book.  Now I'm curious what you think a spoiler might be....  :/