Author Topic: Educated by Tara Westover  (Read 9078 times)

nwhiker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Educated by Tara Westover
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:42:57 AM »
Just finished this book about the author who grew up in a religious, survivalist family that was preparing for the end of the world and/or the government to try and come kill them. Her family felt that public schools brainwashed kids so she never went to school until she was seventeen.

The book hits home as I have known a few people that were a little like this. It is was interesting to see how her education exposed her to things that most people are taught at a much younger age. It was an I testing thought experiment to think about all the things she was just learning, and how I would have viewed or interpreted them as an adult versus a child.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
Re: Educated by Tara Westover
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 02:10:42 PM »
Thanks for posting.  This book made it on my list to read someday...sounds like it's interesting enough that I should read it sooner as opposed to later. 

trashmanz

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 12:09:24 AM »
Its a miracle she survived at all in that house. 

profnot

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 03:00:34 PM »
I found "Educated" a fascinating read.

One thing that really impressed me was the authoress' ability to not be judgmental about her family's religious beliefs.

She is a unusually gracious, respectful, and nonjudgmental person. 

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »
I really liked the book. Actually a little to well as I read too late into the night. I find it fascinating that you can live to that extent outside and isolatet from the normal society. I also liked here courage to get out of the mountains.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 11:27:53 AM »
My book club will be reading this early in the New Year.   I did a bit of Googling about it and it sounds very interesting.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
Thanks for posting.  This book made it on my list to read someday...sounds like it's interesting enough that I should read it sooner as opposed to later.

Well I got it from the library, read it, and wow, what a story.  I recommend it.