Author Topic: Christmas gift ideas - a book for my newly retired mother  (Read 7779 times)

Darren

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Christmas gift ideas - a book for my newly retired mother
« on: December 05, 2019, 12:58:22 PM »
*I posted this in "Reader Recommendations" first before remembering we have a book club section. If this is the more appropriate area lemme know and I'll remove the other post*

Does anyone have a book recommendation for my mother for Christmas? She retired earlier this year at 65. She's never been interested in how money works, but she's been asking me more and more questions about the topic since she retired this past spring. I was thinking about getting her something on the topic of frugality/lifestyle design/new to retirement, etc.

I was thinking the new revision of "Your money or your life" might be good. But I forget if that book is more applicable to income earners as opposed to nest egg draw down folks.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

rudged

• Stubble
Re: Christmas gift ideas - a book for my newly retired mother
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 12:34:54 PM »
I wouldn't recommend Your Money or Your Life to someone who has already entered retirement on the traditional path. I suggest J.L. Collin's The Simple Path to Wealth. He is himself a retiree and there are sections in the book devoted to how to manage your finances in retirement, particularly with reference to required minimum distributions and taxes.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 11:31:51 AM »
"Diary of Edward the Hamster"

You'll thank me. Many have.

Darren

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2019, 06:13:39 AM »
"Diary of Edward the Hamster"

You'll thank me. Many have.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »
I am reading a pair of books by Ernie Zelinsky right now (How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free is the one I'm starting with) and enjoying them. They focus much more on mindset and what you will do all day than on money though.

A Simple Path to Wealth comes universally highly recommended around these parts though I haven't read it yet.

A Random Walk Down Wall Street is good for understanding how individual investors should approach the stock market, but that's narrower than retirement as a whole. It's written by an economist so it gets much more into explaining why things are the way they are than simply prescribing tips.

MrRobinBobin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 03:07:48 PM »
Thank you for your ideas, I'll save them for the next holidays.