Author Topic: Best book you've ever read? Book recommendations?  (Read 24767 times)

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Best book you've ever read? Book recommendations?
« Reply #100 on: May 21, 2017, 11:53:50 AM »
Self Improvement: A Guide to the Good Life: The Ancient Art of Stoic Joy
I just searched my library for the audio book of this. It returned just one title as relevant: Sexy Forever by Suzanne Somers. What do you all think - close enough?

LOL!  The two are almost interchangeable.  ;)

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
This thread has been an absolute gold mine for book recommendations.

The best book I read last year was Farm by Richard Rhodes.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2018, 01:14:38 PM »
I just searched my library for the audio book of this. It returned just one title as relevant: Sexy Forever by Suzanne Somers. What do you all think - close enough?

LOL!!!

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2018, 08:14:09 PM »

LOL!  The two are almost interchangeable.  ;)

Yeah, screw stoic joy, I didn't know there was an option to just be sexy forever instead...sign me up!!!!!

ematicic

• Stubble
  • Money Enthusiast
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2018, 10:24:58 AM »
1. Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand
2. Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Particularly the Restaurant at the End of the Universe, by Douglass Adams
3. One Second After, by William Forstchen

All very different from each other but of all the reading I have done, these 3 were the hardest to put down and the most memorable.

Leisured

• Bristles
  • Retired, and loving it.
« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2018, 06:12:54 AM »
One book I have not seen mentioned here: The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.

Cordivae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2018, 11:51:46 AM »
Fiction:
#A timeless tale with mustachian theme and pitfalls.  Won a Pulitzer for a reason.
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

Self Help:
#This is the book that got me started in systematically being a better person.
The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

Non-Fiction:
#Bill Gates lists this as his favorite book of all time.  I think it should be mandatory reading and is the perfect antidote to the 24-hr news cycle induced stress.
Enlightenment Now by Steven Pinker

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
One of my favorite books ever- Seven Summits by Dick Bass (and Rick Ridgeway).
Great for arm chair mountaineers.

Talk about being able to have FU money to do what you want.  I read it in 9th grade, and have read it probably 20 or more times since then.

grantmeaname

• Magnum Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2018, 06:46:46 PM »
Great thread, gang!

The Sparrow, by Maria Doria Russell.  It's about what happens if the first response to extraterrestrial communication is a space mission by Jesuits who attempt to visit the ETs' planet.  Hauntingly told.

On a deeper level, the novel explores the unintended disasters available when two cultures meet each other.  I'm not religious, but found the subtle spiritual speculations in the book to be fascinating as well.  My ex who mediates between cultures for a living said it was the best book on the topic she'd ever read.  My ex is gone, but her recommendation was superb.
A bit of preamble: Over the last year and a half I have been using Goodreads because I really like that I can drop a book onto my "to read" list any time I see an interesting recommendation and then just scroll through the list when I have finished or given up on the last round of books ordered from the library. The MMM forums, especially this thread, have been a good source of book recommendations; I just check through this subforum and a handful of other threads and drop anything intriguing onto my Goodreads list. I've found a few duds here and there, along with a big pile of good reads.

The Sparrow and its sequel Children of God are easily the best two books I've found here. Mad props to Bicycle_B for the recommendation. I finished Children of God on Saturday, not even 36 hours after I got to the front of the library's hold queue. I'm currently weighing whether I reread them both right now, start to finish, or if I give it a few weeks' time to let things settle. These books are everything first contact books like Speaker for the Dead could be if their authors really understood human beings, and it's hard to think of another book covering the same topics that doesn't pale in comparison. Seriously, go read The Sparrow.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #109 on: May 09, 2018, 06:03:04 PM »
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.

stoaX

• Bristles
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2018, 04:47:40 PM »
Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.

Yup - great book.  I've liked all the books I've read by him.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: May 28, 2018, 10:07:02 AM »
Not sure Iíd say itís the best ever, but one I really enjoyed and havenít seen here is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig. Itís not that the philosophical ideas were new, but the way of exploring them and weaving them into the narrative is excellent.

Itís a book Iím glad I read in my late 20s instead of high school or even college. I donít think I would have really understood it back then, or had the patience to see where it was going.