Author Topic: Audiobooks  (Read 5719 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Audiobooks
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:17:47 AM »
Hey,

On Saturday (6th) I've got about a 7 hour drive, and then that Wednesday I will be taking the same road back. I usually have an audiobook or two, or three, to read during this time. Any recommendations?

I like history, fiction, nonfiction...well largely anything. It can be heavy stuff or light stuff, but I would like recommendations, especially something that I can snag from the library. Best book to date from these regular trips was Snowball, a biography on Warren Buffett. It was long enough that I knew that I wouldn't get through it otherwise, but with the 14 hours of driving it was great. Other favorites include Garrison Keiller and David Sedaris cause they lightened my mood.

I have tried Stephen King, but the last book 11/23/63 I got extremely bored with.

Thanks!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Audiobooks
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:43:46 AM »
Depends on what you like to read.

My wife just listened to the LOTR trilogy.

You could download some This American Life podcasts.

But really... Depends on what your interests are.  Why not just go to the library and browse their audiobook section?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 10:18:04 AM »
Thanks for your response, I have been doing that. Thankfully I live in a different district than the library near my office so I get to browse both collections. Lately I have noticed that I am looking at the same books while browsing.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »
Good call! That book would be perfect, provided that the narrator is half-way decent.

Spudd

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 05:33:55 PM »
Have you tried any Bill Bryson? "A Walk in the Woods" is hilarious.

basd

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »
Have you tried any Bill Bryson? "A Walk in the Woods" is hilarious.
Agreed. All of his books are great, the audio books are a bit hit and miss unfortunately, depending on the narrator. A Walk In The Woods is great though.

I second the mention of Pillars of the Earth as well, one of my favourite books of all time, together with World Without End (also by Follett).

lentilman

• Stubble
    • the Independent Penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »
7 Habits of Highly Effective People (last blog post by MMM) is here:
http://archive.org/details/7HabitsOfHighlyEffectivePeople

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 12:51:43 PM »
Thank you everyone! I have another road trip to Chicago coming up this week and will be trying Bill Byson's books. Which one will depend on what the library has.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »
I don't know if you would like YA fiction, but the Harry Potter books are probably the best read audio books out there!

madage

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »
The Game of Thrones. It's cliche to say, but while the HBO series is really good, the books are so much better. I thought the narrator was excellent, too.

Myrmida

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 02:22:07 PM »
If it's up your alley, my spouse and I were nearly in tears from laughing (in a good way) at the audio book of Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett's novel Good Omens.

Winter's Tale

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »
A few times I have listened to a great version of James Joyce's Dubliners read by various Irish authors and actors.  I especially like the fact that they are short stories, so you can stop or start as needed without trying to remember a detail from hours before.  I have also listened to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, which was a good story with a terrific narrator.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
Listening to Bill Bryon's A walk in the woods. I tried his book on popular science while I was driving to Chicago and couldn't get into it. Nothing against the narrator or the writing of the book, it was very entertaining but after a while my mind went numb. I will try again to listen to this book during other activities than a 6 hour drive.

cbgg

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 03:03:33 PM »
I obsessively love audio books.  Do you need something you can get free from yoru library, or are you an Audible subscriber?

I don't do a lot of novels, but lately I've been really into the "great courses" lecture series on Audible.  I'm currently listening to one about Common Lives in the Ancient world and previously I listened to one called Cultural Literacy for Religion.  The great thing about these courses are that they are fairly long and super educational.

For lighter stuff (and thing you might be able to get via your library), recently I've enjoyed
 - Orange is the New Black
 - The history of the world in 6 glasses
 - Anything by Malcom Gladwell
 - Steve Jobs
 - Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea
 - Wild

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 04:55:06 PM »
Just discovered today that I can download audiobooks from my library -don't even have to go in.