Author Topic: Anybody else read Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" series?  (Read 6537 times)

MoneyCat

• Handlebar Stache
Anybody else read Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" series?
« on: September 05, 2016, 08:16:25 PM »
I'm part-way through the third book in the series now and this is some pretty awesome fantasy fiction. What an amazing -- and logical -- system of magic he uses. How has this series not been turned into a movie or TV series by now?

Comar

• Stubble
Re: Anybody else read Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" series?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 03:38:10 AM »
I have the trilogy. I have just read the first one. I really had to force myself to finish it. I would read a chapter, put it down and not touch it for 2 weeks. The world was interesting enough for me to keep reading and I liked the idea of the Dark Lord/Emperor or whatever he was called. I liked reading about his backstory.

I really hated the main characters. Everyone was so "edgy" and "witty" and just so "cooooool". The main character, the girl, annoyed the shit out of me. "oh I'm so powerful but I don't know it yet and I'm so silent an mysterious I'm just so grimdark and such a scarred and gloomy character".

I'm not sure if I will ever finish it. I do read a lot of fantasy and my favorite being Joe Abercrombie's First Law series, Song of Ice and Fire. I also recommend the Powder mage trilogy.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 03:51:32 PM »
I love Brandon Sanderson's worlds! He's so good at creating systems of magic. Highly recommend Warbreaker and Elantris as well. :)

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 10:57:58 PM »
I first read the first trilogy some years back. Loved it. Read it again after reading the more recent books. Still love it. Can't wait for the next one.

I think my Mistborn obsession is only topped by my Stormlight obsession. So. Good.

I found out fairly recently that many of his series are connected by being in the same Cosmere universe. Eventually I'll read all of those (I believe Warbreaker and Elantris are in it), just trying to space them out so I can get my regular Sanderson fix.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 11:30:29 AM »
I first read the first trilogy some years back. Loved it. Read it again after reading the more recent books. Still love it. Can't wait for the next one.

I think my Mistborn obsession is only topped by my Stormlight obsession. So. Good.

I found out fairly recently that many of his series are connected by being in the same Cosmere universe. Eventually I'll read all of those (I believe Warbreaker and Elantris are in it), just trying to space them out so I can get my regular Sanderson fix.

Wow, I hadn't heard of the Cosmere thing. I'll have to do more geeking, soon!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Haven't really been able to warm up to any of Sanderson's stuff, despite some enthusiastic recommendations.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 02:35:34 PM »
Haven't really been able to warm up to any of Sanderson's stuff, despite some enthusiastic recommendations.

What is it that you don't like about his stuff? The pacing?

I find the characters to be somewhat cliched, TBH. But I am okay with it.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 04:36:06 PM »
How has no one mentioned "The Way of the Kings" or the "The Starlight Archives?"  :)  Those two are my favorite..I'll have to reread him when he releases the 3rd, and the 4th, and the....12th. 

And I really enjoyed the second Mistborn trilogy.  Just don't learn anything about it until you've finished the first one.

Meowkins

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 04:51:14 PM »
There's a second trilogy!@?

Eric222

• Pencil Stache

LMBB

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2016, 11:58:59 PM »
I'm a big fan. I also enjoyed The Reckoners Series. Felt much more superhero/comic and was a lot of fun. His Legion short stories are also really interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 07:58:02 AM »
Hmm, I'll have to look this stuff up.  I only know Sanderson from his work finishing the Wheel of Time series, and I really liked his work there.

PhysicsCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 10:16:03 AM »
There's a second trilogy!@?

Technically its a quadrilogy. Still waiting on the last book. Also 2 more trilogies planned for the mistborn world. One set around the 80's and one in a sci fi setting. For the cosmere nuts that have read Bands of Mourning, I highly recommend Mistborn: Secret History.

At DragonCon this year we were just walking down the street and bumped into him. Such a cool guy.

ditheca

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 02:38:16 PM »
If you like Sanderson's worldbuilding but not his angsty characters, try David Edding's Belgariad series.

Slinky

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
More than once, along with everything he's written that I've gotten my hands on.

FrugalLakes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2016, 08:07:06 AM »
I read the Mistborn series and really enjoyed them.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »
Yes, and for whatever reason I just didn't like the second or third books. I'm currently reading Sanderson's "Elantis" and am loving it, so maybe I just wasn't in the right state of mind for his trilogy.

whateverdude

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »
Yeah I finished the first trilogy a few weeks ago.  Some parts I thought were lame/the writing was rushed; others were incredibly written and very evocative.  They first time he introduced the Steel Inquisitors was pretty awesome.  The Name of the Wind is another good fantasy book (I think there's two, I've only read the first).

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 06:15:10 PM »
I liked Mistborn, but I'm enjoying The Stormlight Archive series a lot more.

I love finding all the Cosmere easter eggs Sanderson includes in each world. Like Hoid showing up in every novel and short story.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »
Yeah, the original Mistborn trilogy was pretty uneven in the beginning. Vin and Elend in particular were tiresome clichés. But the world-building and magic system were intriguing enough to get me to keep reading. I gradually got hooked, though. Vin and Elend eventually became my favorite characters. I stayed up til 5 in the morning just to finish the third book!

MoneyMage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 01:29:05 AM »
I've read almost all of Sanderson's books (it's hard to keep up with him!) but by far my favorite is the Stormlight books. Looking forward to reading the third one! I just finished reading both books again for the 3rd and 2nd times.

I got my name in the last Wheel of Time book as a member of the Green Ajah. :D

I've introduced 3 or 4 friends to Mistborn as well but they are all such slow readers...

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 01:57:17 PM »
Sanderson is definitely my favorite Author.  I've read most of his stuff (Minus the Alcatraz series). 

If you guys haven't picked up the new "Arcanum Unbounded" it's great.  I had many of the included stories already, (Emperor's Soul, Shadows of Silence, Secret History) but there are new stories.  There is also a foreword and afterword about each, where Brandon discusses how the story fits into the cosmere a bit.

The Lift Novella is soooo good.  I love her.  Also, reading White Sand as a novella after reading the graphic novel was cool.  There is also a short story about what's going on in within the city of Elantris (The Hope of Elantris, iirc) while the novel is following along outside of the walls.

The dude is a writing Machine.  I can't believe how many quality words he publishes in such a short time.

Also, I'm super excited that DMG Entertainment has signed a licensing deal to make the Cosmere into a film & TV universe!

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2017, 09:56:02 AM »

I got my name in the last Wheel of Time book as a member of the Green Ajah. :D

Just . . . wow.  I named both my sons from fantasy novels, and the thought of getting your name into one is simply amazing.

Based on this thread, I got the first Mistborn novel from the library and loved it.  My library system stupidly did not have the second novel, so I bought a used copy of that and of the third novel in the original trilogy.  Loved them, too.  I bought the set for my brother and nephew and am impatiently waiting for them to read them so we may discuss.  Hoping my son starts them, too (he's 9).

Footsore Rambler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My fine art website
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 08:51:38 PM »
I just recently read my first ever Sanderson book -- "The Way of Kings", which was the tor.com free ebook download in March.  It was great.  I will be on the lookout for more of his stuff.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »
I just recently read my first ever Sanderson book -- "The Way of Kings", which was the tor.com free ebook download in March.  It was great.  I will be on the lookout for more of his stuff.

Woohoo!

Book 2 of the Stormlight Archives, "Words of Radiance" is just as good.  Book 3, "Oathbringer" is supposed to be coming out in November of this year.

Cawl

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2024, 11:15:10 AM »
I was impressed with how Sanderson helped finish the Wheel of Time series. The Mistborn series was recommended by a friend.
Overall good series.

erp

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2024, 12:23:50 PM »
I enjoyed them (both the initial series and what I read from the Alloy of Law). They remind me a lot of the old Dragonlance books (... wherein I show my age), the world is fun and the magic/fight choreography is very immersive, although the characters are a bit annoying. They're kind of great fodder if you're ever running a D&D campaign, and they're relatively easy reading - good for planes and beaches :)

I've read a lot of what he's written, and it all seems to fit that kind of general criteria. My favourite is probably mistborn though (and mostly that the Lord-Ruler ends up being way more compelling than he has any reason to be).

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2024, 01:35:11 PM »
I read them once.  I think I will read them again.  I often think about an iron nail earing and also the kind of railroad that allows people to fly between locations.  Definitely cool magic that seems like it could be great visuals as a television series.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!