Author Topic: Everest Wealth Management Threatens MMM Blog with Legal Action  (Read 40319 times)

Iceplant18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Everest Wealth Management Threatens MMM Blog with Legal Action
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2014, 11:37:17 PM »
Wow.  Just Wow. 

I just have to say the moderators of this forum are absolute HERO'S!  See this is a huge part of why I'm proud to be an American.  Living with freedom of speech and the right to use said speech to hold people/organizations/various entities accountable.  I don't know anything about Everest Wealth Management or the people that work there.  Many of which (and I often give the benefit of the doubt) are probably decent hard working people that contribute in many facets of society.  What I DO know is that the use of deception to cloud truth is a plague that has caused more damage in history than can be measured.  Read your history books.  This fact is exactly why freedom of speech is the 1st freakin amendment in our constitution!  It was obvious over 200 years ago and it's still obvious today.  And yet deception lives on.   

Another thing I'm a firm believer in.... Quality products don't need selling or defending or polishing of any kind.  Well perhaps motorcycles need polishing but I digress.  Quality products sell themselves.  I would be veeeery  content if all the money spent in marketing was diverted to research and development in our country.  I agree 100% that Everest Wealth Management should let their products do the talking.  If their products are indeed deserving of expletive commentary then it's time their products are improved.  I'm describing basic economic principles here.  If their products are then improved then our society benefits and the world gets a little better.  If their products are indeed quality and what they say they are then this discussion isn't deserving of their concern.   

Lastly a word to the moderators and perhaps the rest of the people out there in this forum.  Continue speaking the truth with diligence.  Avoid being coaxed by economic gain or perhaps legal pressure.  And lastly never cave to fear.  Fear is one of the tools that "less desirable individuals" us to control people.  Again check your history books on that one.  FDR has a good quote in reference to that subject.   

jscott2135

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: March 11, 2014, 08:41:13 AM »
Wow.  Just Wow. 

I just have to say the moderators of this forum are absolute HERO'S!  See this is a huge part of why I'm proud to be an American.  Living with freedom of speech and the right to use said speech to hold people/organizations/various entities accountable.  I don't know anything about Everest Wealth Management or the people that work there.  Many of which (and I often give the benefit of the doubt) are probably decent hard working people that contribute in many facets of society.  What I DO know is that the use of deception to cloud truth is a plague that has caused more damage in history than can be measured.  Read your history books.  This fact is exactly why freedom of speech is the 1st freakin amendment in our constitution!  It was obvious over 200 years ago and it's still obvious today.  And yet deception lives on.   

Another thing I'm a firm believer in.... Quality products don't need selling or defending or polishing of any kind.  Well perhaps motorcycles need polishing but I digress.  Quality products sell themselves.  I would be veeeery  content if all the money spent in marketing was diverted to research and development in our country.  I agree 100% that Everest Wealth Management should let their products do the talking.  If their products are indeed deserving of expletive commentary then it's time their products are improved.  I'm describing basic economic principles here.  If their products are then improved then our society benefits and the world gets a little better.  If their products are indeed quality and what they say they are then this discussion isn't deserving of their concern.   

Lastly a word to the moderators and perhaps the rest of the people out there in this forum.  Continue speaking the truth with diligence.  Avoid being coaxed by economic gain or perhaps legal pressure.  And lastly never cave to fear.  Fear is one of the tools that "less desirable individuals" us to control people.  Again check your history books on that one.  FDR has a good quote in reference to that subject.

As much as I've joked on this thread, I echo these sentiments.  I'm glad people stand up to bullies, can speak the truth with diligence and not be intimidated.  Score one for the little guys!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 11, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
I'm sure the folks at Everest Wealth Management are still sweating about this thread.  (Hi guys and gals!  Welcome!)

While this has been an entertaining diversion for most of us, for them this is life threatening.  These people cover their mortgages and alimony payments by ripping people off, and if word gets out that their product or business practices are shady, that threatens their revenue stream.  Negative reviews of Everest Wealth Management on the internet will potentially cost them real money.

So I can virtually guarantee that some non-zero number of the page views in this thread about Everest Wealth Management are in fact Everest Wealth Management staff, all together on a conference call scrolling through these posts, trying to decide how to respond.  Shareholder value must be protected!  Corporate image must not be besmirched!  Our usual legal threat doesn't seem to be working, what are we going to do!? 

I envision a lawyer making $400/hour listening patiently to the conference call as his clients fret about our silliness.  I imagine Phil Rousseax with a vein throbbing above his glistening, sweaty, bright red face.

And I feel pity.  Not for Phil and the rest of the management team, those guys can suck donkey balls.  But they must have a secretary and a janitor and an intern, and I'm sure some of those staff people are just trying to make a living.  They work for a paycheck like most of us, and have never considered the philosophical implications of working for a rip off artist.  They too are in danger of losing their Christmas bonuses because the truth about Everest Wealth Management is being openly discussed in one obscure little corner of internet.

Since astroturfing the thread sort of backfired on them, I'm guessing they're just desperately hoping it dies down and fades away.  Maybe potential customers of Everest Wealth Management won't research the company by searching for their name and then finding this thread on the first page of results, if the thread goes inactive.  That's about the best they can hope for now, since legal threats don't seem to have accomplished the desired censorship effect.

***  all views expressed in this post are the personal musings of some guy on the internet, not a reflection of this blog, it's owners, or any other entity that can be sued.  Sorry Phil. ***

jordanread

« Reply #103 on: March 11, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
Looks like they are escalating things...at least I'm assuming that is who MMM is talking about in this latest post.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 11, 2014, 06:18:46 PM »
Looks like they are escalating things...at least I'm assuming that is who MMM is talking about in this latest post.

I'm pretty sure that's the OTHER firm currently threatening the blog.  The two threads have been sort of proceeding in tandem for a while now, though I think this one is more entertaining by virtue of the prevalence of donkey balls.

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2014, 06:23:45 PM »
I do think MMM handled the matter a little poorly. I would have suggested contacting a lawyer, and even publicly asking for a lawyer to help, before making any changes or mentioning the company by name. Once he had an official answer from someone specializing in this area, which I assume might have cost some serious money which would be well spent just for the education if nothing else, then he would be in a position to speak from strength and make his actions as loud and strong as possible while avoiding complicating matters for himself. Asking for help from a lawyer after already taking some steps seems a bit backward given the official communication he was receiving.

Having said that, I doubt they have any real standing to cause trouble for him, and he has solid support and the financial means to defend himself. I don't see this going anywhere good for the company, and I highly bet they wish they had just added their astroturf replies to that original thread to try and confuse the matter and then hope it goes away. Once MMM gets the legal advice he needs, I'm hoping he can hit these bastards hard in just the right way to make his case and show their stupidity, while not causing himself any further difficulties.

jordanread

« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2014, 06:30:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's the OTHER firm currently threatening the blog.  The two threads have been sort of proceeding in tandem for a while now, though I think this one is more entertaining by virtue of the prevalence of donkey balls.

I must have missed the other one. Damn, and I just went into "war mode". :-)

jordanread

« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2014, 06:42:25 PM »

"War mode" redirected. And it turns out it's your fault Sol. :-) I wonder if this post would show up if I linked to the other thread...

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2014, 06:47:23 PM »

Just as a FYI to either of them:  I had watched both threads and in my mind they were the same people.  I hadn't even really established the names in my mind (though "donkey balls" has taken a firm grab.)  The point is: if you don't make a big stinky mess, folks will generally forget in a pretty short time.  The bigger a stink you make, the more memorable you are.... and not in a good way.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2014, 06:50:14 PM »

Jesus, they are both based in MD.  Maybe they are the SAME COMPANY (dum dum dum!)

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2014, 07:06:36 PM »
It may or may not be a good idea to export some donkey balls to the other thread.

*This opinion is my own and not that of the owner of this blog, blah blah blah.*

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2014, 07:11:27 PM »
blah blah blah

Sir, my mother was a blah, and I find this offensive.  Please remove your defamatory statement immediately.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »
blah blah blah

Sir, my mother was a blah, and I find this offensive.  Please remove your defamatory statement immediately.

Nice try, but you aren't asking firmly enough.  Make sure you have your lawyer do it instead.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
blah blah blah

Nice try, but you aren't asking firmly enough.  Make sure you have your lawyer do it instead.

I am my lawyer (and you know what they say about people who are their own lawyers)

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »
Blah sucks donkey balls.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »
Everest and Phil Rousseaux are at ripoffreport.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Philippe-Alain-Rousseaux-of-Everest-Wealth-Management/internet/Philippe-Alain-Rousseaux-of-Everest-Wealth-Management-American-businessman-stockbroker-915945

He's a party guy, according to the ripoffreport:

"Philippe Alain Rousseaux who is CEO of Everest Wealth Management does not look like a guy I would trust with my money. Philippe Alain Rousseaux is seen at LIV in Miami weekly spending thousands of dollars, and dating strippers and gambling in the World Series of Poker. "

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2014, 09:35:42 PM »
Everest and Phil Rousseaux are at ripoffreport.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Philippe-Alain-Rousseaux-of-Everest-Wealth-Management/internet/Philippe-Alain-Rousseaux-of-Everest-Wealth-Management-American-businessman-stockbroker-915945

He's a party guy, according to the ripoffreport:

"Philippe Alain Rousseaux who is CEO of Everest Wealth Management does not look like a guy I would trust with my money. Philippe Alain Rousseaux is seen at LIV in Miami weekly spending thousands of dollars, and dating strippers and gambling in the World Series of Poker. "

Indeed.  And to be clear, we aren't claiming that quote is a fact, but it is a fact that it's alleged on RipoffReport by someone.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jscott2135

• Stubble
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »

jscott2135

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2014, 09:48:16 PM »
blah blah blah

I am my lawyer (and you know what they say about people who are their own lawyers)

This absolutely made my night

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2014, 04:51:48 AM »
This will be interesting, what with the mainstream media coverage this site already gets.

Like... sword-to-a-gunfight-interesting.

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2014, 04:53:19 AM »
blah blah blah

This absolutely made my night

+1.  Although on reflection ARS is right, and we should keep references to donkey anatomy off the other thread.  I was annoyed last night and not thinking clearly, leading to this exchange with my wife:

Me:  Are you following what's going on with MMM these days?  [Explains situation in detail.]
Mrs. Bank:  Why are you yelling at me?  I'm not even a lawyer.

lordrtype1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: The Big Valley-between the Mississippi and the Rockies
  • A human, living on a planet the locals call Earth.
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2014, 05:47:30 AM »
To be the Devil's Advocate in the matter:

I can garantee a 7% return on any money you give to me, just by setting up a mutual fund right.  The right stock mix, you'll make WAAAY more than that, even in a BAD year (like 2007-2011).  And, that's just ONE way I could.  I could make triple that doing options plays, or setting up complex dirv.

But, a lot of it depends on people staying the course.  I realize these firms are required to maintain a certain division bewteen their clients' interests (risky investments vs. conservative), but they're usually dumping the money together to achive their results.  Why invest 10k into a moneymaker, when you can invest 100mil, and make more?  It may seem stupid, but if you have a client wanting to pull, say, 10mil out of your firm, unwinding becomes scary.  If you hold 100 shares, can sell them at market pretty quick and easy; try sell 150,000 at the EXACT same price, without the markets blinking.  Someone dumps 150,000 shares of GOOG, it'll be absorbed; someone dumps 150,000 of some mid-cap company only a few know of, the markets may think the bottom is falling out of the company.  If enough clients cash out at the same time, it's like a run on the banks in the 1910s; everyone loses.

The stock markets work because people tend to hold stuff for a while, waiting for it to go up. Liquidating millions (or billions) of dollars in positions requires someone to BUY those shares, in order for YOU to get the money. And, if an institutional investor sees you start dumping shares (in signifiant quantities), they'll short you (I would!), pick up those shares DIRT cheap, and basically earn the money you were expecting to. So, you get slapped coming and going:

1) You lose the customer,
2) You lose their money or, at least, lose most of what you earned with it cashing them out, leaving you shorter margins on the clients you have,
3) You lose the position that might have made you more money than you're losing,
4) You damage your rep, if you don't find a way to make good on your promise.

I doubt this method of information suppression (a lawsuit) will work; if conventional news outlets hear about this, then it will be over (assuming they will, or they care). And all of their worst nightmares will be sweet dreams, compared to the reality that could ensue.  They must feel they have more to gain, than they'll likely lose, by trying this.  Time will bear out what the outcome will be.

Frugal Ninja

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2014, 10:49:03 AM »
Also, as an aside, your first 3 posts ever on a forum and you decide to randomly defend a company that acts like complete dickheads?  $10 says you work for them.  How much does being a shill pay nowadays?

Whoah, nailed it.

Sometimes being a mod with access to stuff is fun.

Mr. John Anthony, RICP® is the Branch Manager at Everest Wealth Management, Inc. has decided to grace us with his presence.

It'd be nice if you identified yourself and stuck up for your company, rather than just shilling anonymously.

Who's paying me my $10?

EDIT: I see in other places Mr. Anthony is referred to as "Director of Operations" - hope I didn't get your title wrong, John.

OOOHHHHH Snap...just made my day.  I will gladly send you 10$, as there is very little else in my entertainment budget that gives me that much bang for my buck. 

Possibly this site needs a donation center....as a way for us users to pool resources to fight injustices in the world, protect the little guy,  educate the financial illiterate, or give mustachian gifts to the needy (bikes to kids, solar panels to schools, etc.)   I'll pledge another 10$ to that!

Oh yeah... Everest Wealth Management, Ratings, Astroturfing, prision sex, donkey balls. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2014, 11:28:34 AM »

I can garantee a 7% return on any money you give to me

Intentional misspelling?  Anyways, no you can't. please don't sue me

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2014, 11:33:24 AM »
OOOHHHHH Snap...just made my day.  I will gladly send you 10$, as there is very little else in my entertainment budget that gives me that much bang for my buck. 

Heh, I was just kidding about that.  Virtue is its own reward.  :)

Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »

I can garantee a 7% return on any money you give to me, just by setting up a mutual fund right.  The right stock mix, you'll make WAAAY more than that, even in a BAD year (like 2007-2011).  And, that's just ONE way I could.  I could make triple that doing options plays, or setting up complex dirv.

No you can't.   To be a "guarantee" it has to be risk free.  None of those are risk free alternatives.  Unless, of course, you're willing to make up any shortfall with your own money.  But that is something else entirely, and shifts the focus of my risk assessment from the performance of the underlying investments to your creditworthiness.  And unless you're the US government magically come to life and posting on this blog, I'm going to assess your guarantee as less than 100% surety.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »

HA HA HA ... I just realized ... I was under the impression that since the bully tactics were the same that it was the same company ... donkey ball suckers the lot of em' I say ...

The opinion above is my own and does not represent the the opinion of the forum host or web host.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »
Can any moderators fill us in on why the forums went dark (in Virginia at least, our little knot of Richmond Mustachians noticed it) for several hours today?

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2014, 07:38:59 PM »
Can any moderators fill us in on why the forums went dark (in Virginia at least, our little knot of Richmond Mustachians noticed it) for several hours today?

I'm not a moderator, but I'm guessing the number of connections to the database brought it down.  Probably caused by MMMs post.

MMM basically caused a denial of service attack on his own forums ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2014, 07:59:04 PM »
It was a database error.  It wasn't due to traffic.  The forums are on the same server as the main page.

LowER

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2014, 08:44:47 PM »
Yes, lawyer up. 

But don't forget to media up!  60 Minutes, Nightline, and many others would love to cover something like this: 

There's a reason it was and still is the FIRST amendment!  The ACLU may be a resource too.

Americans eat this up = ratings.

This is David and Goliath: Mom-and-pop versus EVEREST WEALTH MANAGEMENT (Everest is no mole hill so even their name is perfect).

Americans eat this up = ratings.

These are core values of our country....run with it!

Hopefully MMM already has this ball rolling. 

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2014, 09:07:45 PM »
It was a database error.  It wasn't due to traffic.  The forums are on the same server as the main page.

Database errors don't need to bring down the whole server.  Depends on how the site is configured.   It was just a hunch based on the timing.  I started seeing some issues last night and really saw it today.

Hopefully it is straightened out.  Do you know what caused the DB Error?

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2014, 09:27:47 PM »
Dear MMM,

Here are a couple of things to consider:

1) If the comment regards a matter of public interest, any suit filed may be a SLAPP suit. Depending on your state laws, you may be able to have the suit dismissed out of hand and your attorneys fees billed to the plantiff.

2) I dont know what kind of business insurance you have associated with the website, but you may want to consider blog liability insurance from the authors guild.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2014, 09:33:45 PM »
I just wanted to say Everest Wealth Management donkey balls santorum frothy fecal lube mixture.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2014, 10:06:57 PM »
Dear MMM,

Here are a couple of things to consider:

1) If the comment regards a matter of public interest, any suit filed may be a SLAPP suit. Depending on your state laws, you may be able to have the suit dismissed out of hand and your attorneys fees billed to the plantiff.

2) I dont know what kind of business insurance you have associated with the website, but you may want to consider blog liability insurance from the authors guild.

I don't think CO has anti-SLAPP laws unfortunately.

My personal opinion is that the Everest thing is completely ridiculous and the Kiss thing is only mostly ridiculous.  Because for Everest, the comment was just quoting Everest's own complaint (which is public record).  On the other hand, the Kiss thing was a comment calling it a "scam," which AFAIK it is not in the traditional sense (e.g. Madoff or Nigerian princes).

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #135 on: March 13, 2014, 06:41:58 AM »
Calling something a scam is clearly a protected statement of opinion. I think it may be more ridiculous than the EWM complaint.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: March 13, 2014, 07:39:28 AM »
Calling something a scam is clearly a protected statement of opinion. I think it may be more ridiculous than the EWM complaint.

Nah, the Everest Wealth Management one is more ridiculous.

The Long Term Returns guy said (paraphrasing) "Neither they, nor anyone legally operating in the US can guarantee a 7% return"*

They have all these disclaimers and their own employee said in this thread about the ad: "hmmm, says for income and the disclaimer seems to show it just fine."

If their opinion is that they have a disclaimer so that they aren't guaranteeing 7%, then LTR guy isn't wrong - no one can guarantee that, and they aren't professing to guarantee it, that's why they have the disclaimer that none of their current products even offer that.  So how could his statement that no one could offer that be defamatory if they aren't offering that?

You're right though, kiss trust one is ridiculous.. so is this.

It is a tough call to decide which of the companies is the most foolish.

*Note: this is not a statement of fact from me, but it is a fact that he said this, and it was his opinion at the time.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: March 13, 2014, 04:47:51 PM »
I've heard a rumor that Everest Wealth Management was responsible for the taking down of Longtermreturns.com. LTR was a very informative blog by an small investor advocate and he made a comment in a response to a reader question that the promised guaranteed 7% returns were too good to be true and in fact likely to be a bait and switch kind of thing.

You can google "Longterm returns blog" and you'll see the bogleheads thread about the incident.

Of course this is only a rumor and some disreputable imposter may have used the good name of Everest Wealth Management.

Maybe someone better at internet sleuthing can find some more information regarding the scandalous takedown of LTR or clear the name of Everest Wealth Management from this rumor which I hear is being propagated on all kinds of senior oriented forums. It is certainly time to shine some light in that direction.

In any case, the demise of LTR and the promised 7% Guaranteed Returns are both rather regrettable for our little community.

Peter

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #138 on: March 13, 2014, 04:51:48 PM »
I've heard a rumor that Everest Wealth Management was responsible for the taking down of Longtermreturns.com. LTR was a very informative blog by an small investor advocate and he made a comment in a response to a reader question that the promised guaranteed 7% returns were too good to be true and in fact likely to be a bait and switch kind of thing.

You can google "Longterm returns blog" and you'll see the bogleheads thread about the incident.

Of course this is only a rumor and some disreputable imposter may have used the good name of Everest Wealth Management.

Maybe someone better at internet sleuthing can find some more information regarding the scandalous takedown of LTR or clear the name of Everest Wealth Management from this rumor which I hear is being propagated on all kinds of senior oriented forums. It is certainly time to shine some light in that direction.

In any case, the demise of LTR and the promised 7% Guaranteed Returns are both rather regrettable for our little community.

Peter

I'm guessing that LTR came down, not directly because of the lawsuit, but indirectly because the lawsuit exposed his identity.

Edit: it looks like www.virginiadefamationlawyer.com took down the PDF of the original complaint against LTR.  For posterity, the case is Maryland District Court, Case No. 1:13-cv-01714 and some info can be found at http://www.plainsite.org/dockets/index.html?id=2462896
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:01:18 PM by dragoncar »

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: March 13, 2014, 05:10:01 PM »

I'm guessing that LTR came down, not directly because of the lawsuit, but indirectly because the lawsuit exposed his identity.

Edit: it looks like www.virginiadefamationlawyer.com took down the PDF of the original complaint against LTR.  For posterity, the case is Maryland District Court, Case No. 1:13-cv-01714 and some info can be found at http://www.plainsite.org/dockets/index.html?id=2462896

That's my impression as well. LTR wanted to be anonymous and that's why the bullying worked.
But that doesn't mean that Everest Wealth Management is off the hook...

Peter

highFIguy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2014, 05:31:11 PM »
I lurked on MMM for some time. but today I finally registered, for no other reason than to stand with all the fine people* here and against idiot companies who bully people.

*It is solely my opinion that you people are fine.  This is in no way a statement of fact.  :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
That's my impression as well. LTR wanted to be anonymous and that's why the bullying worked.

Yeah.  They then got the impression everyone would cave in the same way, I guess.

But that doesn't mean that Everest Wealth Management is off the hook...

Certainly not.  LTR was a great resource, and if they had just contacted him reasonably instead of using lawsuits we might still have his blog today.  Quite a disappointment.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2014, 06:28:58 PM »

Nah, the Everest Wealth Management one is more ridiculous.

The Long Term Returns guy said (paraphrasing) "Neither they, nor anyone legally operating in the US can guarantee a 7% return"*

They have all these disclaimers and their own employee said in this thread about the ad: "hmmm, says for income and the disclaimer seems to show it just fine."

If their opinion is that they have a disclaimer so that they aren't guaranteeing 7%, then LTR guy isn't wrong - no one can guarantee that, and they aren't professing to guarantee it, that's why they have the disclaimer that none of their current products even offer that.  So how could his statement that no one could offer that be defamatory if they aren't offering that?

You're right though, kiss trust one is ridiculous.. so is this.

It is a tough call to decide which of the companies is the most foolish.

*Note: this is not a statement of fact from me, but it is a fact that he said this, and it was his opinion at the time.

Man, I didn't even realize that you brought up LTR before I posted - how rumors spread...

I think it is really important to realize the actual damage done to investors and retirees if a legal challenge to financial blogs like LTR goes unchallenged. In order to preserve their little racket, some shady outfit could theoretically block access to immensely helpful information about the practice of self directed investment strategies to literally millions of retirees.
This is not just about free speech, it is about truly evil behavior.

Peter
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 06:30:47 PM by PeteD01 »

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2014, 09:53:32 PM »
MMM,

I would gladly pitch in for a legal defence fund for the blog and the website if it comes down to that.

Luck better Skill

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2014, 09:18:07 AM »
*It is solely my opinion that you people are fine.  This is in no way a statement of fact.  :)

Cute, I will take that as a compliment.  For the record I see myself as Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli.  I'm really more humdrum, think Richie Cunningham. 

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »
Pardon the revival of an old thread...

In case anyone is curious, it looks like a certain company has been in the news lately!  Lets all cheer on our *favorite* wealth management company!

Attached is a screenshot of what shows up on Google at the moment when "Everest Wealth Management" is used as the search term.  :)

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2017, 08:34:21 PM »
This one is also amusing.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2017, 08:35:14 PM »
Good.  Screw those dishonest hacks.  I've never been more pleased to see a small business fail.

Let this be a lesson to any of you who have an entrepreneurial spirit and may start businesses some day.  Don't be a dick.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2017, 08:55:57 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, With This Herring.

I'm glad they can't take advantage of people any longer.

PerpetualWanderlust

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »
Threatening legal action because a message board says unfriendly things about you? What kind of leadership is that?!

Hope Everest "Wealth Management" goes down in not-so-glorious fashion.