Author Topic: Where do you live and what do you pay for childcare?  (Read 7535 times)

ishoutedmyjoy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Where do you live and what do you pay for childcare?
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2018, 08:38:58 AM »
wowza, i didnt realize how much daycare could be. We're in a lcl small rural town at $475 a month.
We are thinking about moving for stronger job opportunities but this thread makes me second guess that.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »
Minneapolis. 10 years ago it was 1200/month and I got 10% off due to my employer.

Now we pay 12$ an hour for sitters. Before or after care is 10$/kid per time slot. So morning care is 10$ per kid, another 10$ for the afternoon. So that gets expensive if you need both.

Summer childcare through the community center is 37$ per kid per day. Sibling discount so it is about 70$/day for two kids. Works out to 1400 a month for two kids.

Mine are 8 and 10 and next summer we are going to try having a sitter just 10-3 and letting them be at home watching telly and doing chores. Not sure how that'll go. But the end is in sight. Just in time for my son to go up to men's shoes ($$$$$) and for them to eat like horses. You trade one expense for another.

Christof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »
Germany 270€ (=USD 315) per month plus a ton* of taxes which are used to subsidize day care.

* ton = 40% for health care and social security, up to 46% income tax for the rest, and what you spend is taxed at 19% VAT (alcohol, gas, and a few other things are taxed on top).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 03:02:17 PM by Christof »

Frugalroogal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2018, 02:55:28 PM »
I live in Australia. We send our child to daycare 3 days a week. Unsubsidised cost is $128/day (includes food). Childcare is subsidised by the government based on income. So we pay $55/day ($165/week or $8250/year as daycare only runs 50 weeks/year).

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2018, 06:18:11 AM »
Minneapolis. It was 1800/month for full day for a 2 year old; he's down to 3/4 days at 4 and it's 1050 a month. It's a Montessori-esc  daycare, but we chose it because it was the only one with openings within a half hour of where we live when my husband's work changed on short notice and we needed care NOW.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2018, 08:31:48 AM »
Minneapolis. It was 1800/month for full day for a 2 year old; he's down to 3/4 days at 4 and it's 1050 a month. It's a Montessori-esc  daycare, but we chose it because it was the only one with openings within a half hour of where we live when my husband's work changed on short notice and we needed care NOW.

The bolded was always a real kicker for us! We tried to switch to a cheaper facility more than once but they never had openings for both kids at the same time, which made it not worth our while to switch.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2018, 04:59:47 PM »

The bolded was always a real kicker for us! We tried to switch to a cheaper facility more than once but they never had openings for both kids at the same time, which made it not worth our while to switch.

Our city has a pretty well regarded sponsored daycare that we could probably get into eventually, but honestly we're riding it out where he's at because he loves his teachers and the transition was an absolute nightmare; first couple weeks involved the teachers literally prying his hands from the deathgrip on my clothes and after than those saints helped me get a routine down where there was minimal crying after maximum distraction routines were employed. I'm not sure how bad it'd be, but frankly, I'm willing to pay the 1500ish dollars we'd save over 6 months to avoid having to see that again.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2018, 04:22:16 AM »
Bay area $3200 for two kids. Our largest line item in budget. Kid #1 starts school next year... So here's hoping it reduces a bit.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2018, 05:59:55 AM »
Southern Maine $200/week for 4 days full time 2 year old

Irregular Joe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2018, 07:29:21 PM »
We live in New York City and pay $1,750 a month for 1 toddler (but with another baby on the way!)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:31:29 PM by Irregular Joe »

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2018, 11:48:05 AM »
SF Bay Area - preschool for our kids was $950/kid (a couple of years ago) and this was considered cheap.
afterschool care for elementary school kids is currently about $400-500/month (also one of the cheaper options in our town).

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2018, 08:26:47 PM »
Reading this, I really don't know how those of you who have multiple kids in need of care & who live in a HCOL area do it. I felt like $5,200 per year for one 3 year old kid was a lot. And now I'm realizing that our community learning centers at our public schools for $5 per day for before school & after school care are a true bargain. Plus, we live 20 blocks from grandparents.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2018, 06:12:49 AM »
Reading this, I really don't know how those of you who have multiple kids in need of care & who live in a HCOL area do it. I felt like $5,200 per year for one 3 year old kid was a lot. And now I'm realizing that our community learning centers at our public schools for $5 per day for before school & after school care are a true bargain. Plus, we live 20 blocks from grandparents.

It is rough.  I'm going to start carrying around an invoice for when people ask when Toddler is getting a sibling. I make good money, but 60K/yearly for two kids just seems like a waste of money.  I may move or FIRE first.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2018, 09:43:31 AM »

I definitely know people who have said they aren't having a second kid because they can't afford two sets of childcare, or who space their kids out to avoid having two in FT childcare at the same time.  So there are a lot of people who don't/can't do it.  Amongst my co-workers, there are very few with more than 2 children.  The ones with more than 2 kids almost all have terrible long commutes because housing is so expensive.  Personally, just the idea of more than 2 kids completely exhausts me so the cost of childcare for 3+ is not really my main concern :)

And apparently it's not just my co-workers.  Childcare being too expensive is the top reason young adults cite for having fewer children than the expected/wanted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/upshot/americans-are-having-fewer-babies-they-told-us-why.html

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2018, 09:48:49 AM »

I definitely know people who have said they aren't having a second kid because they can't afford two sets of childcare, or who space their kids out to avoid having two in FT childcare at the same time.  So there are a lot of people who don't/can't do it.  Amongst my co-workers, there are very few with more than 2 children.  The ones with more than 2 kids almost all have terrible long commutes because housing is so expensive.  Personally, just the idea of more than 2 kids completely exhausts me so the cost of childcare for 3+ is not really my main concern :)

And apparently it's not just my co-workers.  Childcare being too expensive is the top reason young adults cite for having fewer children than the expected/wanted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/05/upshot/americans-are-having-fewer-babies-they-told-us-why.html

I made the idiot mistake of timing his birth a bit too late for him to be caught by the Jan 1 universal 3-K deadline, which will cost me an extra 30K for that year.  I guess I get why city parents are so uptight.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2018, 09:32:17 PM »
We are planning a third but would most likely wait till our oldest starts kindergarten to avoid having three in full time childcare (I'd be spending $5000/month for three in full time). But friends that have kids in kindergarten say that after school care, activities, etc start costing at least half of daycare that there is no right time to have the next kid. Still thinking.....