Author Topic: What age(s) did/do you enjoy the most?  (Read 13475 times)

grilledcheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What age(s) did/do you enjoy the most?
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2018, 08:07:30 AM »
5 months is a tough stage. I remember sleep being the all consuming "thing" we revolved our lives around. I was insane about naps.

My all time favourite age so far has been age 2. So much sweetness. Every thing they do is cute, even when they're being little jerks.  We all laughed so much during this stage. I have a two year old right now, and he bring so much joy to the household. I want to bottle this time up and never forget it. The unprompted hugs and kisses, the pure happiness on their faces when you come home from work... it doesn't last forever. Such a special time!

All of the ages are great though. It's pretty amazing to get to watch your babies grow up into independent little beings. I can honestly say I have enjoyed every age so far. I am bracing myself for the teen years, but I'm feeling optimistic about that too.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »
My all time favourite age so far has been age 2. So much sweetness. Every thing they do is cute, even when they're being little jerks.  We all laughed so much during this stage. I have a two year old right now, and he bring so much joy to the household. I want to bottle this time up and never forget it. The unprompted hugs and kisses, the pure happiness on their faces when you come home from work... it doesn't last forever. Such a special time!

This is where I am right now. So good.

grilledcheese

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »

It really is. If we were all our two year old selves, think of how great the world would be. Er, actually it could be a bit of a nightmare, but we'd be SO cute.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2018, 04:06:16 PM »

It really is. If we were all our two year old selves, think of how great the world would be. Er, actually it could be a bit of a nightmare, but we'd be SO cute.

We'd spend all our time point out school buses (just my kid?) and society probably collapse, but we'd be happy!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »
My kids are 6 and almost 10 and I have to say ages 4 onwards have been my favorites so far.  I found 3 really really hard with both kids.  Babyhood and toddlerhood was hard too.  But these ages are great.  I especially love being able to share more and more cultural references with my almost 10 year old who is a read-a-holic.  And the 6 year old is turning into a delighful person too.

PNW Lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2018, 05:11:37 PM »
I wasn't a fan of the baby/toddler years (like at all), but age 4 and up have just gotten better and better. DD entering elementary school was probably the biggest game changer. She is 10 now and it feels simply amazing. She's getting more independent (occasional sleepovers, playing outside with friends by themselves, etc.) but she also still holds my hand when we walk and is super snuggly at bedtime, which I love. She's super smart and gets my humor and there is no one else on earth I would rather spend time with (if I can't have solitude, which would be my first choice;-). One of my favorite things is when she likes an outfit I'm wearing she'll say "mom, make sure you save that one for me when I get older". Best compliment ever.

In hindsight, I wish DH and I wouldn't have been so stressed out during the baby/toddler years. We only have one, so we didn't get the benefit of that realization for a second go. We were just super stressed the entire time, and now I just laugh about how ridiculous we were.

I would highly recommend prioritizing sleep, any kind of relaxation, and physical movement (walking, playing, etc.) over all else. You can save being tidy, looking fashionable, cooking amazing meals, etc. for a later stage of your family life.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »
I wasn't a fan of the baby/toddler years (like at all), but age 4 and up have just gotten better and better. DD entering elementary school was probably the biggest game changer. She is 10 now and it feels simply amazing. She's getting more independent (occasional sleepovers, playing outside with friends by themselves, etc.) but she also still holds my hand when we walk and is super snuggly at bedtime, which I love. She's super smart and gets my humor and there is no one else on earth I would rather spend time with (if I can't have solitude, which would be my first choice;-). One of my favorite things is when she likes an outfit I'm wearing she'll say "mom, make sure you save that one for me when I get older". Best compliment ever.

In hindsight, I wish DH and I wouldn't have been so stressed out during the baby/toddler years. We only have one, so we didn't get the benefit of that realization for a second go. We were just super stressed the entire time, and now I just laugh about how ridiculous we were.

I would highly recommend prioritizing sleep, any kind of relaxation, and physical movement (walking, playing, etc.) over all else. You can save being tidy, looking fashionable, cooking amazing meals, etc. for a later stage of your family life.

Good advice!

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2018, 09:11:36 AM »
With the benefit of hindsight, I liked age 3-5 best (but actually, having a sensible, interesting, pleasant 18 year old is also pretty good.)

First few months is very tough, no doubt about it. Physically demanding, no sleep, stressful. Again, with the benefit of hindsight, it is all over very quickly - just doesn't seem that way at the time.

“The days are long and the years are short” :)

I've also heard "All Joy and No Fun" which I found to be pretty accurate in the very young years. There are moments of deep and intense joy around parenting but the constant "on-ness" of it in the young years was very hard for me. Now that mine are a little more independent (6 and 4) I am able to find the fun because it get breaks.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2018, 10:31:56 AM »
My kids are 7, 9, and 11.  They are a true joy at these ages.  I love to see them climbing trees--the higher the better.  I love to talk to them.  They're funny and thoughtful.  They no longer throw things in anger, much anyway.  They're all out of diapers and can stand long car rides.  They choose their own music to play.  The oldest painted his own room recently--the trim is a bit of a mess but he did it himself.  He's fun--I swear I can read his mind sometimes.  My 9 year old's smile can light up the room, and she can scale a straight lamppost in seconds.  My youngest loves me to read to him and makes friends wherever we go.  I can sleep on weekends until 8am--they can feed themselves in the mornings.  They can even put themselves to bed if necessary, although I usually read to the younger two at bedtime and have "small talk" with the oldest--his choice of words.  They are still young enough to cuddle (well, not my oldest so much, but he'll sit close to me on the couch, which is his way of cuddling) and will hold my hand while we're out.  But when we get to a park, they run ahead of me to climb or play or make "temporary friends" (my daughter's choice of words).  I can take them all with me to run into a store for one thing and it can actually happen without whining!

When I see moms out with babies, I smile and think, "I'm so glad I'm done with that stage."  I loved the baby and toddler and preschool years, but I also cried a lot if I'm being completely honest.  I think in hindsight I'm just not a baby person.  I never want to hold someone else's baby.  I loved holding my own, though, and I found wraps and babyslings to be a godsend.  I remember being tired a lot, too--my kids are about 2 years apart and all nursed for almost 2 years, which means I was either pregnant or nursing or both for 7 years.

I think 4 and 5 year olds are the funniest people on earth.  So many great ideas and comments from them.  I tried to write a bunch down but could never catch them all.  I remember not wanting my then-5-year-old to have to start 5-day kindergarten--I loved having him around to talk to on my two weekdays at home.

Two year olds are fun, but two of mine were tough at that age--when they weren't being adorable.  I gave myself time-out sometimes to go punch my bed so I could get out my parenting frustrations without strangling anyone.  I also found that when my 2-year old was being a PITA, I could switch up her mood by scooping her up and dancing around and kissing her.  Dressing a two-year old is like dressing an octopus.  But snuggling with a two-year-old child is so beautiful I could cry remembering it.

I am now in the golden years, which happens randomly at different ages for different families.  Two years ago, a mom of older kids told me I was in the golden years of parenting and to enjoy it.  She said this at a birthday party where one of my kids was having a meltdown and crying under the table because he got the "wrong" lunch order, another one was unhappy for being snubbed by the birthday girl, and the third was jumping all over the restaurant and causing a scene and probably trying to draw penises on the booths--I kept having to take the crayons away from him.  I just nodded and said, "uh-huh, sure."  But now I look back at that day and laugh.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »
We have a 3 yo and a 1 yo.  So far, for both kids, I dreaded 0-9mo.  I really do enjoy 9mo-18mo as other's have mentioned.  2yo - 3yo so far has been a lot of "NO!" and "Buy Why??????", but still much better than 0-9mo IMO.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #60 on: May 31, 2018, 04:04:37 PM »
My kids are 7, 9, and 11.  They are a true joy at these ages.  I love to see them climbing trees--the higher the better.  I love to talk to them.  They're funny and thoughtful.  They no longer throw things in anger, much anyway.  They're all out of diapers and can stand long car rides.  They choose their own music to play.  The oldest painted his own room recently--the trim is a bit of a mess but he did it himself.  He's fun--I swear I can read his mind sometimes.  My 9 year old's smile can light up the room, and she can scale a straight lamppost in seconds.  My youngest loves me to read to him and makes friends wherever we go.  I can sleep on weekends until 8am--they can feed themselves in the mornings.  They can even put themselves to bed if necessary, although I usually read to the younger two at bedtime and have "small talk" with the oldest--his choice of words.  They are still young enough to cuddle (well, not my oldest so much, but he'll sit close to me on the couch, which is his way of cuddling) and will hold my hand while we're out.  But when we get to a park, they run ahead of me to climb or play or make "temporary friends" (my daughter's choice of words).  I can take them all with me to run into a store for one thing and it can actually happen without whining!

When I see moms out with babies, I smile and think, "I'm so glad I'm done with that stage."  I loved the baby and toddler and preschool years, but I also cried a lot if I'm being completely honest.  I think in hindsight I'm just not a baby person.  I never want to hold someone else's baby.  I loved holding my own, though, and I found wraps and babyslings to be a godsend.  I remember being tired a lot, too--my kids are about 2 years apart and all nursed for almost 2 years, which means I was either pregnant or nursing or both for 7 years.

I think 4 and 5 year olds are the funniest people on earth.  So many great ideas and comments from them.  I tried to write a bunch down but could never catch them all.  I remember not wanting my then-5-year-old to have to start 5-day kindergarten--I loved having him around to talk to on my two weekdays at home.

Two year olds are fun, but two of mine were tough at that age--when they weren't being adorable.  I gave myself time-out sometimes to go punch my bed so I could get out my parenting frustrations without strangling anyone.  I also found that when my 2-year old was being a PITA, I could switch up her mood by scooping her up and dancing around and kissing her.  Dressing a two-year old is like dressing an octopus.  But snuggling with a two-year-old child is so beautiful I could cry remembering it.

I am now in the golden years, which happens randomly at different ages for different families.  Two years ago, a mom of older kids told me I was in the golden years of parenting and to enjoy it.  She said this at a birthday party where one of my kids was having a meltdown and crying under the table because he got the "wrong" lunch order, another one was unhappy for being snubbed by the birthday girl, and the third was jumping all over the restaurant and causing a scene and probably trying to draw penises on the booths--I kept having to take the crayons away from him.  I just nodded and said, "uh-huh, sure."  But now I look back at that day and laugh.

What a beautiful breakdown!

Reminds me of when I asked my grandmother, when she was in her 90’s, what her favourite age (time in her life) has been. She responded without hesitation: “Oh, when the kids were little.”

Uhm what?!! She had four kids, and no help!

But I’m starting to see. These are the best years to remember ;)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #61 on: May 31, 2018, 04:12:54 PM »
We have a 3 yo and a 1 yo.  So far, for both kids, I dreaded 0-9mo.  I really do enjoy 9mo-18mo as other's have mentioned.  2yo - 3yo so far has been a lot of "NO!" and "Buy Why??????", but still much better than 0-9mo IMO.

My baby is just about to hit 10 months. Some things are easier! Good to hear up to age 1.5 is nice :)

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »
I was widowed when my bio kids were 1 and 5 and then adopted my teenage daughter. Though at times I was crazed with grief and the overwhelming responsibility of providing for my family and making every single parenting decision alone, I had to make peace with it and embrace my single parent status. I've enjoyed most ages, 4 year olds are fantastic, they're curious and you can reason with them. For whatever reason, 7 year olds are great and I love 11 year olds. I've been fortunate to have pretty easy and fun kids (thank you, Universe) and fingers crossed, hope the next stage of my 11 and 15 year old kids' go smoothly and pleasantly.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2018, 10:58:52 PM »
I also enjoyed around 5.5 to 11.5 months. Toddlers I honestly am not loving... But my daughter isn't that bad. I'm just pregnant and going crazy though. 😑