Author Topic: What age(s) did/do you enjoy the most?  (Read 13447 times)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
What age(s) did/do you enjoy the most?
« on: January 15, 2018, 08:30:19 PM »
My 5-month-old is sleep-torturing me and I have no life :)

Which ages can I look forward to? 25? 8? 1? 40? Lol

Let me know, I could use some hope!

vivian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What age(s) did/do you enjoy the most?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 08:52:27 PM »
I think 6-18 months is wonderful! They have personality, are learning, but haven’t hit the NO stage yet. Ages 4 & 5 are also great to see how their mind is working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »
I like every stage once they started responding a bit (3+ months) but my favorites were when they are learning to talk well. So much fun when they learn a word and use it appropriately! The way my kid's mind works is a source of wonder and fun for me.

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:40:44 PM »
I have stepkids and a kid of my own, and thus far have covered ages 0 through 10 (kid, stepgrands) and 13-mid-30s (steps). 

I'm finding 10 pretty good and would say things really started getting noticeably more fun about 8.  But 10 is fabulous!  I can issue requests (or instructions) like, "Please empty the dishwasher," and -- he does.  It's fabulous.  But also there's lots of fun stuff we can do together where he is really a contributing/participating member of the process/discussion/etc.  Also, he will sleep past 7 a.m. if allowed to do so (that pretty much didn't start happening until he was about 8).

The teenage years were a mixed bag (steps, though, obviously, we were just embarking on our relationship then and it's probably not an entirely fair comparison to a kid one has known from day 1 and who's not trying to figure out, as I was, how stepparents/kids relate).  But from the early- to mid-20s they've been pretty much fun, too. :) . 

The grands are reminding me why really the early years are not my favorite.

Though don't get me wrong, there have been wonderful events, moments, activities at every age.  But I definitely prefer moderately independent, able to follow simple instructions, and not-too-likely-to-engage-in-self-destructive-behavior.

On a positive note if (like me) you turn out to be someone who prefers older kids to little kids, then the trend will be in a good direction.  It seems to me it would be really difficult to be a parent if your most preferred ages were the really young ones, because it would all be a downhill slide after the early years.

If I could do one thing different vis-a-vis my kid's earlier years, it would be to make more use of paid childcare.  We are fortunate to have lots of good choices available around us, and I wish we'd relied on them more -- particularly as a sociable only child, he loved the time he did have in daycare (roughly 16 hours/week from 2 months until he was 4 and then 24 hours for the final year before kindergarten, but throw in an extra 8-16 hours of grandma care as well) and would, I think, have benefited from getting more of it, as would I have from doing less juggling and having more energy for the time we did spend together.

Richie Poor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:54:18 AM »
Mine are still young (almost 3 yr old and a 15 month).

The first six months had some bright spots but in general I enjoyed the 8-18 month much better as they hit their prime in adorableness and show more personality. They also sleep better (not perfectly). 2 yrs can be nice as well since they are potty trained and, at least in the case of my daughter, can hold a conversation.

I think I will prefer even more the age when I can work in the backyard without having to watch them like a hawk, worrying about what they are putting in their mouth or what they are trying to jump off.

Unfortunately if you were concerned about having a social life ours has not returned yet and will likely not for several more years. We tend to spend more time with family as they often share the workload for a precious few hours without a second thought.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 01:03:59 PM »
I love 18 month - 3 years.  They were so cute, learning so much, and they were still pretty portable.

After that, you get more sleep, but more grey hairs.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 01:11:37 PM »
I'm loving 6 and 9.  We recently spent some time with my sister who has a 3 year old and a few months old baby.  I'd forgotten how hard those ages are and was very glad that my kids are older now.  I love sleeping through the night, not having to watch them constantly and the fact that they are quite independent.  Older DD spends hours reading and younger DD plays with playdoh, lego, magnatiles or dolls completely independently.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2018, 01:37:03 PM »
I figured I would like the 6-11 years the best, camping, biking, gardening, being active... without having to carry them, and everything they needed!

mine are almost 5, 2 and one more due in May... 5 is already starting to look great, so much independence already! She gets her brother breakfast, puts his and her clothes on etc... but 6-18 months was also a lot of fun, before they learn to talk back. I think we will just survive the no and the why stage... (2ish, through 4ish). I have no idea what preteens and teens is gong to look like, but I imagine that depends more on the kid then any other stage...

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2018, 03:32:30 PM »
I think all ages have been fun....but when my 10 and 12 yo had to do the snow shoveling and not me - I must say this age is pretty good. 

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 05:29:15 PM »
I really did not like the first year. Since little man turned one, it been pretty awesome and keeps getting better (he's just over two now). I know he's supposed to turn into a monster soon, but man, I really like spending time with him now. Hang in there!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 09:45:31 PM »
You guys are the best :)

The sleeplessness is really hard at times... I don’t want to wish away the baby days but at the same time it’s really nice to have older ages to look forward to! :)

Thanks for the hope lol <3

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2018, 11:31:42 PM »
So far I like 4 - 8 months better than 0 - 4 months. That's as much perspective as I have right now ;-)

It's not the same as with your own kids, I'm sure, but my nine year old nephew is just so cool to have conversations with now. He knows a bit about the world, has opinions on stuff, doesn't whine at all - brilliant! I look forward to that age.

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 06:34:37 AM »
We adopted our children at 13 months old, so I didn't have the tiny baby months to compare to.  However, my favorites have been 5-7 and 9-10.  Both my kids decided to be complete a-holes at age 8 for some reason.  I love 9-10 b/c the physical needs are low and even though the emotional needs are ramping up, they can have a semi-logical conversation and still want to be involved, play games and sometimes be silly.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »

The sleeplessness is really hard at times... I don’t want to wish away the baby days but at the same time it’s really nice to have older ages to look forward to! :)

Sleeplessness is tough for sure especially if you have things to do during the day....such as take care of kids or go to work.  It's cliché but it does go really fast so don't fret.  Get a nap in when they are sleeping.  Don't stress about the minor BS that you used to...chores don't have to be done everyday on schedule. 

There are so many opinions on baby sleeping - crib, let em cry, bassinet in your room, etc.  I say do whatever works for you and the baby that promotes sleep.   For us it basically meant all of kids slept in our room in bassinet or in bed with us for the first year.  Most popular guidance is that you shouldn't do this for safety and sanity issues but it worked great for us. 

But it goes fast so enjoy it, even the rougher times, which by the way there will be plenty of those in your future but for different reasons. 

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 03:35:27 PM »
With the benefit of hindsight, I liked age 3-5 best (but actually, having a sensible, interesting, pleasant 18 year old is also pretty good.)

First few months is very tough, no doubt about it. Physically demanding, no sleep, stressful. Again, with the benefit of hindsight, it is all over very quickly - just doesn't seem that way at the time.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 06:05:50 PM »
With the benefit of hindsight, I liked age 3-5 best (but actually, having a sensible, interesting, pleasant 18 year old is also pretty good.)

First few months is very tough, no doubt about it. Physically demanding, no sleep, stressful. Again, with the benefit of hindsight, it is all over very quickly - just doesn't seem that way at the time.

“The days are long and the years are short” :)

tyrannostache

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 09:24:42 PM »
Mine are 5 years and 8 months, so I don't have a huge range of experiences.

The 8-month-old is smiley and adorable and (mostly) portable and is juuuust beginning to sleep through the night (a future of sleep is in sight!).

The 5-year-old is a ton of fun--she has a wild imagination and I love that she's starting to enjoy some of my favorite outdoor activities (skiing, skating). However, it's a LOT easier to take the 8-month-old for a long hike than it is to take the 5-year-old.

My DH has said that he has liked 4+ most of all.

For me, I have enjoyed pretty much every age from 8 months with my older kid, though the tantrums that happened on and off from 2.5 to 3.5 were rough at times. Having been through it once and knowing that we are done, I have been able to enjoy my second's babyhood a lot more than I enjoyed the first time around.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 09:31:38 PM »

I've only got 0 to 2.2 perspective but it's been all getting better so far. The first big step up was about 6 months when she started eating solids. So much less stress to know I could be gone and she could eat cereal and not starve.  They aren't kidding about the vocabulary exploding day by day around 2. All of a sudden I'm hearing excerpts from "Fox in Sox" parroted back to me.

This too shall pass. You can do it!

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 10:09:54 PM »
My older kid is four so I haven't run the whole gamut of ages, yet.  But I miss the 0-6 months age.  Yes, it's a really intense time (especially if you are exclusively breastfeeding and baby wakes often), but they are snuggly and super-adorable and you can generally satisfy all their wants and needs.  Food, warmth, security, sleep, some mental and social stimulation, being with mommy.  Happiness.  :)   I see the day coming when I'll have to try to explain to my 4YO why her classmates were invited to a birthday party but she wasn't.  Someday, my kids will probably have love life woes I can't do anything about.  Career or academic frustrations.  Health problems.  A cute newborn that just wants to be rocked is so much easier.  👶🏻  And the rushes of oxytocin are great.  ❤️❤️❤️❤️

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 01:18:59 AM »
Having been through it once and knowing that we are done, I have been able to enjoy my second's babyhood a lot more than I enjoyed the first time around.

That is nice to hear. I will admit that sometimes I feel stressed like “How will I ever get through this again??” And I’m not enjoying the baby days as much as I might is it was more “oh wow this is yhe last time for this!”

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 01:19:33 AM »

I've only got 0 to 2.2 perspective but it's been all getting better so far. The first big step up was about 6 months when she started eating solids. So much less stress to know I could be gone and she could eat cereal and not starve.  They aren't kidding about the vocabulary exploding day by day around 2. All of a sudden I'm hearing excerpts from "Fox in Sox" parroted back to me.

This too shall pass. You can do it!

Thanks <3

Revelry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 06:35:28 AM »
About to have three under age four.  The first 15-18 months are hard with how you have to micromanage them.  The spit-up, spills, messes, blow-outs, falls, rapidly developed physical overconfidence... and the sleep.  After that the roller-coaster has gotten more exaggerated- higher highs (hearing 3yo sing Xmas songs) and lower lows (enduring her 45min tantrums at bedtime).
I don't know.  Every family is different.  I do look forward to when our time/activities are not ruled by sleep schedules.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 07:03:51 AM »
From a Fathers point of view and having 4 I enjoyed the first month or two. Then when they could start walking and beyond. Teenage years look out! and then after HS and in College they circle back but overall , all the time you somehow enjoy. They do 10 stupid things and one good thing makes it all go away at most any age.

PharmaStache

• Bristles
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 11:20:37 AM »
They do 10 stupid things and one good thing makes it all go away at most any age.

LOL isn't that the truth.

Mine was really good around age 4.  I also liked the brief period when they can sit but can't move anywhere.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
None of my kids slept well until they were over a year old. Stay strong. Sleep deprivation sucks and turns me into a worse version of myself. From my perspective (I have kids aged 2, 4, and 6), every age they've hit has been the best. I just like them more as they get older. Babies and toddlers are so goddamned illogical. My two-year-old is a holy terror. But so were the 4- and 6-year old at one point. I appreciate children more when they're capable of making rational choices, and they seem to get more rational with time. We'll see what it's like when puberty hits, I guess. I know I wouldn't have wanted to the parent of 16-year-old me :-/

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 01:20:12 PM »
@lifejoy my first was a good sleeper, 4 hour stretches fairly quickly and then 6 hours around 6-8 weeks. She went through the 4-month sleep regression and we did a little CIO, and boom pretty much sleeping through the night with one early morning wake up to feed.

My second... had reflux I think he slept 4 hours once between 0 and 7 months. He needed to be held upright most nights, and had 3-hour crying spells generally from 2-5 am 3-4x a week. I went through an elimination diet to see what triggered the major reflux issues and he went on meds (milk and egg protein was a definite contributor). No CIO until he grew out of the reflux, crying makes it way worse, and the kid was in a lot of pain. Around 6 months when solids were solidly introduced and he could roll over and sleep on his tummy things started to get better, we sleep trained at 7 months and by a year he was happily sleeping through the night.

Now we are expecting #3 in May, while I am praying for a good sleeper (or at least colic over reflux - they grow out of colic faster), I know that you really can do anything for a year. A few months of good sleep solve almost every ill... or sleep deprivation really does mess with your memory. If we must we just might eat a lot of take out and not clean our bathrooms for 6 months! We will get the laundry done, but not put away and folded, our kids will be fed and happy, but our floors might be sticky. Ask for help, pay for help and let more things go. Prioritize sleep and eating and enjoying what you can. Then practice not feeling guilty about anything or everything else - unfinished chores, missed playdates, being late, taking a nap instead of cooking dinner (this does take practice). There will be time to do those things on time and you will have a clean house again.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 01:28:16 AM »
@lifejoy my first was a good sleeper, 4 hour stretches fairly quickly and then 6 hours around 6-8 weeks. She went through the 4-month sleep regression and we did a little CIO, and boom pretty much sleeping through the night with one early morning wake up to feed.

My second... had reflux I think he slept 4 hours once between 0 and 7 months. He needed to be held upright most nights, and had 3-hour crying spells generally from 2-5 am 3-4x a week. I went through an elimination diet to see what triggered the major reflux issues and he went on meds (milk and egg protein was a definite contributor). No CIO until he grew out of the reflux, crying makes it way worse, and the kid was in a lot of pain. Around 6 months when solids were solidly introduced and he could roll over and sleep on his tummy things started to get better, we sleep trained at 7 months and by a year he was happily sleeping through the night.

Now we are expecting #3 in May, while I am praying for a good sleeper (or at least colic over reflux - they grow out of colic faster), I know that you really can do anything for a year. A few months of good sleep solve almost every ill... or sleep deprivation really does mess with your memory. If we must we just might eat a lot of take out and not clean our bathrooms for 6 months! We will get the laundry done, but not put away and folded, our kids will be fed and happy, but our floors might be sticky. Ask for help, pay for help and let more things go. Prioritize sleep and eating and enjoying what you can. Then practice not feeling guilty about anything or everything else - unfinished chores, missed playdates, being late, taking a nap instead of cooking dinner (this does take practice). There will be time to do those things on time and you will have a clean house again.
Not OP but needed to read this today. We have a toddler and a 7 month old. Both are good sleepers once they start sleeping. The problem is getting them to sleep. We are also starting the discussion of three kids vs two (both want three and we want to get baby making done before I turn 35 due to some issues) but my husband is now way more cautious about having third kid since he feels we are running at max with two kids and two demanding careers and a reasonable semblance of a sane life (clean house, some socialization, etc). Your post shows where we can let more things go and go after what is important for us (third kid). Thanks!

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 11:35:41 AM »
@ firelight

:)

I definitely needed to write it, and remind myself that the mess and chaos is temporary. My kids have been sick on and off for the last 8 weeks, my husband is claiming he has 'the flu' for the 3rd time this winter, and my mom was moved into hospice yesterday after 3 weeks in the hospital and a bad bout of pneumonia.. that she won't fully recover from. And work asked me in November to move from part-time back to full time.. I'm so not doing full time at the moment, between the sick kids, my OB appointments/ultrasounds and doctors meetings with my mom - sigh.

I am definitely in triage mode, and letting anything I can go... but definitely still practicing that 'not feeling guilty' part; that's a work in progress. It may always be a work in progress, but it is a skill I have gotten significantly better at with practice.

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »
For us, up through three or so was really challenging. Then some teenager-style struggles around middle-school age: but the real teen years were terrific.... My basic experience of child-rearing has been a steep decline of difficulty and gradual increase of reward. Nowadays it's all gravy.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2018, 01:09:42 PM »
1 year was awesome - you still have full control over them, but they are interactive and genuinely enjoy your presence without being too feisty. You get those baby smiles, laughs, grins, and snuggles without the constant feeding and pooping of a younger baby. Then they progress to 2+yrs and become little jerks (adorable jerks, but jerks nonetheless). Don't get me wrong, I love my 2 year old but she is far more exhausting now than when she was a baby!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 01:20:09 PM »
Neither of mine slept for the first year, and we had two within 13 months. I'll let you do the math on how much sleep we got for 2+ years. ;-) (Also, mini pill fail - #2 was not planned, for the record). In hindsight, could not have asked for a better situation. But, it's easy for me to say that now. I've liked each age progressively more, and feel like we are in the sweet spot now, with both about to turn 11 & 12. I LOVE this phase. Now, the almost 12 year old is getting a little sassy (middle schooler), so perhaps 10 & 11 are the sweet spots, but it is so much fun to have people with their own strong personalities, interests, passions, friends, and they can be left alone for periods of time. That part.is.GLORIOUS.

GreenQueen

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 03:17:28 PM »
My little is 14 months old and I really started to enjoy her around 8 months, and that continues. Everyday is a vivid new experience from her perspective.

Sleep got better around 6 mos (we sleep-trained) which helped a lot. We also started her at daycare at 11 months as she is very social. We all love it. In Quebec it’s very affordable and her group is wonderful.

More paid childcare...completely agree with Bogart on that. Parents have to take care of themselves to take care of their children.

My stepdaughter is almost 12 now and I’ve enjoyed most her stages, though I’m not her full-time parent so I sort get the highlights reel.

Good luck!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »
I really did not like the first year. Since little man turned one, it been pretty awesome and keeps getting better (he's just over two now). [snip]
Maybe it is a male perspective, but I only felt like the clean-up and support crew for the first 2 years.  I read Narnia to them (all 7 books, because I loved them as a child myself).  I was an enthusiastic participant in any outdoor activity; but really a guy feels like a third wheel until the kids become mobile and interactive.  Mostly, I was excitedly recording the goings on from a bit of an outsider perspective - and that paid off in spades when I put those images and videos together in a coffee book and DVD's. 

I'm not sure, for the next generation, that posting online is a good idea just in case it eventually burdens your children.  I'm very nervous about the long term negative impacts of the internet - that big data will inspect photos and posts in a negative way when you faced 'normal' struggles or abnormal success in the past.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 04:48:40 PM »
I really did not like the first year. Since little man turned one, it been pretty awesome and keeps getting better (he's just over two now). [snip]
Maybe it is a male perspective, but I only felt like the clean-up and support crew for the first 2 years.  I read Narnia to them (all 7 books, because I loved them as a child myself).  I was an enthusiastic participant in any outdoor activity; but really a guy feels like a third wheel until the kids become mobile and interactive.  Mostly, I was excitedly recording the goings on from a bit of an outsider perspective - and that paid off in spades when I put those images and videos together in a coffee book and DVD's. 

I'm a lady, but I can see what you mean about a dad feeling left out. I breastfed, which meant a lot of the time I felt like I had too much time with the baby, and DH probably didn't have enough. I'm not someone who got a lot of emotional benefit from breastfeeding, though. I really started bonding with my son, when he started wanting me to read him books (right around a year), so I definitely relate to you reading your kids Narnia. :)

It's neat that you figured out a way to be involved on the recording angle. Somewhat similarly, I set up a gmail account for our son, and DH likes to email our son there to tell him about all the things he's doing. Who knows if our son will ever read it, but it's a nice record for us.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »

I'm a lady, but I can see what you mean about a dad feeling left out. I breastfed, which meant a lot of the time I felt like I had too much time with the baby, and DH probably didn't have enough. I'm not someone who got a lot of emotional benefit from breastfeeding, though. I really started bonding with my son, when he started wanting me to read him books (right around a year), so I definitely relate to you reading your kids Narnia. :)

It's neat that you figured out a way to be involved on the recording angle. Somewhat similarly, I set up a gmail account for our son, and DH likes to email our son there to tell him about all the things he's doing. Who knows if our son will ever read it, but it's a nice record for us.

That is a really cool email time capsule idea! Totally gonna do that!!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 06:17:28 PM »
4-8

I have two boys.  Age of maximum happiness and learning and becoming PEOPLE.

That age.  They are so excited about LIFE.  And they haven't turned into an annoying pre-teen yet.

Sleep can put a damper on that though.  Mine sleep fine.

They are 5 & 11. 

TX2RVA

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »
Ages 4-6.  They still are little but have some independence. 

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »
My favourite so far is 13, for sure!

8 and 12 were the hard years in my parenting so far. I mean, some disability stuff was super hard at other points but in terms of regular parenting stuff, these are our numbers.

Shinplaster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2018, 06:08:44 PM »

8 and 12 were the hard years in my parenting so far. I mean, some disability stuff was super hard at other points but in terms of regular parenting stuff, these are our numbers.

Yes!  When our son was 8, he decided to emulate all the worst kids in his class.  That was not a fun year.  When he was 12, he was just obnoxious.  We thought we were in for a rocky ride during the teenage years, but nope, nothing was worse than 12. 

I will admit I was not a fan of the baby stage, but that may have been coloured by DS having colic for the first 4 months (and may not have been colic, but allergies.  Doctors just called everything colic then and left us to figure it out ourselves ).  Once he was moving on his own and sleeping through the night, things looked up for both of us.   : )

CindyBS

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2018, 08:35:13 PM »
Mine are 12 and 14. 

My favorite ages were probably 8-10. 

But once they didn't need a babysitter anymore, and could get themselves around town on their bikes or walk alone - even though it was puberty - that was pretty freakin' awesome. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 01:59:45 PM »
Hard to generalize with my kids. 

For my first, he's been great, though a lot of work, basically starting at about 4 months (colicky newborn).  He's had a couple of rougher phases ('no' phase for a couple of months at 3YO, brooding phase here or there).  7YO now, and though he doesn't have the unabashed joy we loved so much in his younger self, it's wonderful to see him growing and learning at an exponential pace.  Activities are becoming easier to do with him, and he's a lot less work than he used to be.

For my second, she was a great infant, but was just plain awful from 6 months to around her 4th birthday.  Super strong-willed, and had no desire whatsoever to please us.  Now (5YO) she's a treat. 

Love their current ages, but also looking forward to the ability to really do more family outings as they become more independent.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »
I love teenagers! Babies and toddlers are cute, but I prefer rational beings ;-)  Teenagers have tons of interesting ideas and questions to discuss, and they can present reasons for their thoughts and consider yours. Really great conversations!

Adults are fun too.  When you hear your daughter say to her daughter the same thing you said twenty-five years earlier....

Mother of seven, currently aged 14-26, grandmother to three ages 0-3.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »
I love teenagers! Babies and toddlers are cute, but I prefer rational beings ;-)  Teenagers have tons of interesting ideas and questions to discuss, and they can present reasons for their thoughts and consider yours. Really great conversations!

Adults are fun too.  When you hear your daughter say to her daughter the same thing you said twenty-five years earlier....

Mother of seven, currently aged 14-26, grandmother to three ages 0-3.

Trying to wrap my head around so much of this... teenagers = rational beings?? Having seven kids???

What kind of magical sorceress are you?! ;)

Haha but seriously, I’m curious: when did more kids stop being colossally more difficult? Like two is harder than one, and three is harder than two, but maybe six is not so much harder than five? Let me know!

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 11:25:48 AM »
Right now, ours are 12 and 8, and life is pretty damn easy at the moment. We can board games and card games as a family without having to dumb down the rules or anything. The oldest does dishes, helps with mowing the yard, does her own laundry, etc. The younger one sweeps the house, vacuums, does the garbage, although she struggles to keep her room clean.

All of the girls' friends are nice kids at good schools. No drama at school. Both getting good grades.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. But I do love this combination of ages.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 02:04:22 PM »
^ Because I am years behind on shows, I just learned who Nick Miller is, and the lawyer/author thing :)

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »
5-8 are the golden years as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not  a baby person.  Babies are disgusting, screamy, toxic waste producers.  Toddlers are irrational tyrants. 

From about 5-8, they are old enough to be human, but young enough not to be snotty.  They are full of wonder about everything.  I loved the whole teaching them to read and do simple math stuff. 

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2018, 06:38:26 PM »
^ Because I am years behind on shows, I just learned who Nick Miller is, and the lawyer/author thing :)

@jooniFLORisploo, haha yes I love the character, and since he's a lawyer (well almost...I think he went to law school but didn't pass the bar?) and also a writer (sorta...he wrote half a novel about zombies, right? Or...did he actually finish it?) and since he is funny, and I occasionally try to be funny, I had to adopt him as my forum persona. Thanks for noticing!

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
He DID pass the bar! To prove to himself that law was an option for him, and that he was choosing his other career. He finished the zombie novel, yep :)

ROF Expat

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2018, 03:46:13 AM »
Hang in there. 

When my daughter was an infant, I mentioned to one of my friends with several older kids that I was less than pleased about late night feedings and constant diaper changing and looking forward to my daughter being old enough to sail, and do other things with me (as his did).  He said:  "My advice is to focus on enjoying the things you can do with your daughter right now rather than what you can do in the future.  The future will come, but you'll never have this time again.  Don't waste it." 

He was right.  My daughter is older now, and we enjoy doing things together.  But I look back on when she was an infant and along with the sleep deprivation, diaper changes, and suits with white stains on the left shoulder, I remember that first smile, the first words, the first steps, and a lot of little things that will never come again. 

If you haven't already done it, make more time for yourself by giving up on most things that aren't about your baby.  Let your housekeeping and minor chores go by the wayside.  Catch up on your own sleep and life by napping or working out. 

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2018, 06:49:30 AM »
Hang in there. 

When my daughter was an infant, I mentioned to one of my friends with several older kids that I was less than pleased about late night feedings and constant diaper changing and looking forward to my daughter being old enough to sail, and do other things with me (as his did).  He said:  "My advice is to focus on enjoying the things you can do with your daughter right now rather than what you can do in the future.  The future will come, but you'll never have this time again.  Don't waste it." 

He was right.  My daughter is older now, and we enjoy doing things together.  But I look back on when she was an infant and along with the sleep deprivation, diaper changes, and suits with white stains on the left shoulder, I remember that first smile, the first words, the first steps, and a lot of little things that will never come again. 

If you haven't already done it, make more time for yourself by giving up on most things that aren't about your baby.  Let your housekeeping and minor chores go by the wayside.  Catch up on your own sleep and life by napping or working out.

This is really nice :)

I often remind myself: she will never be as small as she is today!

And on the internet I read: this too, shall pass (the bad AND the good!).

So I am trying not to wish my days away, even though I really really miss sleep ;)