Author Topic: Tips on Saving Money on a Newborn  (Read 19363 times)

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
Re: Tips on Saving Money on a Newborn
« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2017, 11:45:29 PM »

- Don't stress about a breast pump; they're not necessary -- I only know one person who actually kept up pumping more than a few weeks, and her child was in the NICU, so her motivation was stronger and she wasn't caring for a baby at home.  If you're going back to work, it's stressful enough to juggle baby and work without adding in pumping, and nursing part-time is easy -- IF you take care of yourself, especially by drinking plenty of water.  What you DO need is a nursing pillow; it saves strain on your back, and the shape is more convenient than a bed pillow. 

- Splurge on a nice stroller.  You'll use it for about three years, so it's worth some money.  Choose a model that lays flat for a newborn, has a reversible handle, four wheels that swirl, and includes storage. 

And to spice things up I'll disagree with these two points.

I know lots of working moms that pumped for much longer than weeks.  I pumped for the first year of my childrens lives.  And yes it was stressful. 

I only found strollers useful for the newborn stage.  After that I would usually end up carrying a child and pushing the empty stroller and eventually just resorted to planning to carry (or wear) the child and forgo the bulky stroller.

YMMV.

So much of this depends on how you end up parenting.  I didn't use a stroller for a newborn at all!  Just a carrier.

And pumping - w/ my second I was back to work, and I pumped until she was 14 months old.  And it wasn't stressful- I enjoyed the breaks at work, and DH and I (who was the SAHP when I went back to work) and I had a good routine going with pumping/feeding.

Anecdotal nursing stories can really vary... I delivered at a freestanding birth center; a midwife attended birth.  So, I ended up knowing a bunch of kinda crunchy/natural mom types.  Every single one of these moms exclusively breast fed if the were SAHMs, and the few of us that worked pumped and did not supplement.  If I look at my friends that were less interested in crunchy mama stuff, nursing rates are much different.  Up until I met the birth center moms, I knew only a handful of moms, all of which supplemented or exclusively formula fed.  Nothing wrong with either method- breastfeeding and pumping or formula feeding are very personal choices!  Just different, that's all.
Is it really difficult/near impossible to maintain ur milk supply via pumping if ur working & only breastfeeding after work? Just curious.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #151 on: February 24, 2017, 12:18:32 AM »
Step 1: quit watching TV shows about babies.
Step 2: you don't have to buy everything before the baby comes.
Step 3: babies have very few actual needs.
Step 4: slapping "baby" on the label inflates the cost, and "normal" stuff (like wash cloths) works just as well.

That being said, here's an off-the-top-of-my-head list.  We have 6 kids now, and some of our gear has lasted remarkably well.:
  • Car seat system.  Having an easy way to click the kid into the car and get it out is awesome.  (optional, but nice: a stroller that the car seat clicks into) We've used the graco system, and it has worked well for us.  We only had the single stroller (purchased separately from the car seat) for a couple years, until we had a second kid, and at that point we got a compatible double stroller.  We still have that Duoglider stroller, and the thing is a beast--we've taken it across the country many times, through DisneyWorld several times, up and down stairs (with kids in it), etc.
  • A place for baby to sleep.  We got a Graco Pack 'n' play 12 years ago with our first kid, and our babies have always slept in our closet for the first year or so. Six kids later, the padding has shifted a bit, but the thing won't quit.  Bonus:  when you travel, you can take it with you.  And we have done just that on many trips.
  • Receiving/swaddling blankets Make sure you get blankets that are at least 30x40", otherwise they won't swaddle for long :)
  • Burp cloths Nothing fancy.  Wash cloths will do
  • Onesies Babies don't need anything fancy to wear.
  • Nursing pads and lanolin
You'll get a better feel for what you need once the baby arrives.  Don't worry about being caught unprepared--you can always buy more stuff later if the need arises.

Examples of things you don't need:
  • Baby monitor - This one's controversial, but DW and I developed a keen sense of hearing for a baby's cries.
  • Full-size crib - we got one as a gift, but only used it after the baby turned a year old.  And even then, the baby still napped in our closet in the pack 'n' play
  • wipes warmer - the baby will hate getting its diaper changed, no matter the temperature of the wipes
  • diaper genie - expensive refills, and we take out the trash often enough that we don't smell the diapers
Got a diaper genie & yes, those refills are going to be more expensive than the genie... But idt Mr. OneCoolCat would have wanted to take out the trash that often anyways.

jezebel

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2017, 07:18:39 AM »
Is it really difficult/near impossible to maintain ur milk supply via pumping if ur working & only breastfeeding after work? Just curious.

I worked full time and pumped during the day for 12 months and my supply was fine until I stopped pumping during the day at the 12 month mark.  It helped that I was on maternity for four months and my baby was an avid nurser.  I've also known some people who could nurse only nights and weekends without supply issues, but never worked for me.

cats

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: February 24, 2017, 01:57:44 PM »

I worked full time and pumped during the day for 12 months and my supply was fine until I stopped pumping during the day at the 12 month mark.  It helped that I was on maternity for four months and my baby was an avid nurser.  I've also known some people who could nurse only nights and weekends without supply issues, but never worked for me.

It varies a lot, depending on your starting supply, how long your workday is, how much of a chance you have to pump during the day.

I went back to work at 3.5 months and at that point my baby was still nursing 3x/day during my working hours, so I needed to find time to pump 3x/day.  My employer was super supportive: they provided a lactation room with a fridge that was near my desk, my boss had been through pumping at work herself and understood the time commitment involved, and even my male co-workers "got it" (and one of the older guys whose kids are grown now explained to a younger childless male co-worker that babies keep nursing every few hours for a long time when we were out to lunch one day and I was getting a bit flustered explaining, and another older guy reminded me of my legal rights to breaks for pumping one day in the elevator, nobody ever complained about my reduced availability for meetings, etc) .  I nursed at home in the morning before I left for work, at night, and overnight.  I kept that up until 6 months and although it was a lot of work & time (about 1.5 hours over the course of the day), I was able to maintain supply.  At 6 months we got the baby into a daycare at my office so I could nurse him during the day instead of pumping, but I have several co-workers who were able to make it to the 1-year mark, so it was definitely possible.  But I have met other women with less supportive work environments and they've wound up supplementing as a result, and I can't really say I blame them.  For the time I was pumping, I had a pretty "ideal" setup and it was STILL depressing.

If you are able to arrange for some work-from-home permission (or have a private office) pumping is a lot easier as it's less disruptive to your work and it's easier to do stuff like cluster pumping/power pumping that is often recommended to increase supply if you are having trouble maintaining.  I also found I generally pumped more milk at home than in the office lactation room, probably because it was a nicer environment and I was less stressed at home.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 24, 2017, 02:22:47 PM »

My SIL was able to pump/breastfeed until her daughter was 16 months. She worked full time and pumped at work and fed at home. She also managed to pump (and dump...) on a 7-day cruise she took without her daughter.

Pretty much every Mom in my office has pumped for at least 4-6 months after returning to work, many for up to a year.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: February 24, 2017, 02:38:10 PM »
I'm still reading through this but as an update my daughter was born one day before my due date, a healthy 7 lbs 11 oz. She is 3.5 wks now & has gained weight since (thank goodness). Still working on the breastfeeding. I had her with no epidural & no pain medications afterwards & it wasn't done bc I'm Mustachian. We were just both really alert right after. Thank you all who replied to this thread & for those that congratulated me. 😀

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2017, 03:49:21 PM »

I nursed at home in the morning before I left for work, at night, and overnight.

Did u sleep? My newborn is still less than 4 wks so maybe they feed less when u said overnight but I wouldn't be able to wake up & work at this point since her feedings are long & she sleeps at most 4-4.5hrs at night.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2017, 04:09:53 PM »
I don't understand how there's no service out there for this already... they have subscriptions for maternity clothes, friggin high end purses but nothing in regards to a market where u can recycle (after thoroughly santizing of course) baby clothes, toys, etc.?!

Actually, I recently found out about the LetGo & OfferUp apps from a friend that redecorated her apt. I got a new breast pump for $20 before finding out my 2017 insurance covered a breast pump, so I got the Spectra S2 a few days ago. Still gotta figure out how it works so I've been using the Lasinoh pump that I got for $20.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 06:30:11 PM by MrsCoolCat »

cats

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #158 on: February 25, 2017, 09:47:55 PM »

I nursed at home in the morning before I left for work, at night, and overnight.

Did u sleep? My newborn is still less than 4 wks so maybe they feed less when u said overnight but I wouldn't be able to wake up & work at this point since her feedings are long & she sleeps at most 4-4.5hrs at night.

They do start to feed much faster.  That said, I was a zombie at work for the first couple of months I was back and it took us a long time to really get him sleeping through the night.  But every baby is different, I definitely know people who had their kids sleeping 10-12 hours/night by 4 months or so.

When I went back to work my "normal" night routine was: bed at 7pm for baby, "dream feed" at 9pm and I went to bed, baby woke at ~2am and we did a feeding for ~15 min, then I would nurse again around 6am before leaving for work.  This was just barely manageable.  What really killed me was 4-month sleep regression where he started waking up multiple times per night (sometimes would sleep until 1nor 2, but then wake up every hour after that).  After a few weeks of that my husband declared it was time for sleep training.  We got him back down to one wakeup per night within a few nights.  At some point I dropped the dream feed and instead started just going to bed at 8pm, which was a great decision--baby still woke up at 2am, but if I was in bed at 8 I got at least one decent stretch of sleep.  Around 8 months I dropped the 2am feeding, baby responded by waking up around 4am instead of sleeping in until I was ready to leave.  That 4am time gradually moved later and now he sleeps from 7pm to at least 5am, but sometimes 5:30 or 6 (he's one year now). 

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2017, 09:35:28 PM »
^^this. I know I'm resurrecting an old thread here but I'm a new dad and I think the lack of sleep has been the hardest by far to cope with.

One thing that has helped us amazingly has been our food prep. We made and froze ~a month's worth of meals before our kiddo was born, and it has been a huge saver for us to just re-heat food instead of ordering take out.
"As a cure for worrying, work is better than whisky." -Thomas Edison

My Log | Take surveys as a side-hustle! Use my referral link

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: April 07, 2017, 07:04:22 AM »

I don't get to sleep right now.  My newborn is 2 weeks old, and having tongue tie issues, so until we can get that resolved (either through exercises or eventually having it clipped) my routine is: Get her to wake up (easier than it was the first week when she was so sleepy, but still not easy, so takes a good amount of time), attempt to feed her for 15-20 minutes, supplement with pumped milk or formula (usually takes 20-30 minutes), pump for 15 minutes, change diaper, rock her to sleep.  I have to do this every 3 hours from the start of the first feeding overnight and every 2 hours during the day.  If you add up the times, well, I don't get much sleep.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2017, 01:12:22 AM »
I don't get to sleep right now.  My newborn is 2 weeks old, and having tongue tie issues, so until we can get that resolved (either through exercises or eventually having it clipped) my routine is: Get her to wake up (easier than it was the first week when she was so sleepy, but still not easy, so takes a good amount of time), attempt to feed her for 15-20 minutes, supplement with pumped milk or formula (usually takes 20-30 minutes), pump for 15 minutes, change diaper, rock her to sleep.  I have to do this every 3 hours from the start of the first feeding overnight and every 2 hours during the day.  If you add up the times, well, I don't get much sleep.

This is literally the hardest part right now for me. Our newborn is also 2 weeks old, and my wife had a pretty difficult labor/delivery (looking like a long road of recovery), so I'm doing everything I can to let her get the most sleep as possible. This results in me getting very little sleep, ugh

dannymurphy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: April 13, 2017, 08:00:20 AM »
My advice as a father of 2 (one 2.5 yrs, one 4 months), in general for baby items:
If you think you are going to need X for your baby, do not buy it.
Wait until you know you need X (for example: these diapers are stinking up my kitchen and now I'm sure I need a diaper pail).
After you know you need X, ask your friends with kids if they have one they aren't using anymore. Most of them have way too much Xs that they don't need, since people buy way too much baby stuff then get even more at showers.
If you strike out, buy X.
'Pretirement': a financial independence app that instantly converts spending or savings decisions into days, weeks, or years of your life.
Get it for iOS or Android

Dina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2017, 06:38:17 AM »
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I got a lot more for my first child then my 4th. I did not know anyone with kids or the lifestyle when we have know when I had my first one.  So i bought most of the things people said I needed, thinking they knew better than me. Ha. Ha. Ha.

With my last baby, I had only a few things.

I breastfed her til she was 14 months. I bought a breastpump after 6 days with really painfull breasts but luckily it was with 50% off. If you should bottle feed, consider a glass or stainless steel bottle because of the chemicals like BPS / BPF in plastic ones.
When breasteeding does not seem to go as planned and you want it to work, do not hesitate to ask a professional like from La Lache League or something. There is a lack of knowledge even in professionals like doktors and midwives.

I used two woolen rompers and woolen tights and had some cotton ones as back up. Wool does not get wet of dirty that quickly and is really comfy.

A (ecological) sheepskin was fantastic. In the car over the seat, in the stroller (secondhand of course ;)) or in bed. It regulates the temperature of the baby and does not feel cold when you put them (sleeping) into their bed.
With my second and third I did not even had a stroller. We used an ergobaby carrier to take her on walks.

We now use all in one washable diapers. There are the ones that can be used from day one til ca. 2,5 years and do not need extra accessoiries, besides a paper layer. (AIO-diapers). When stashing cheap diapers, give it an extra thought if you are okay with the chemicals in them. Do not mean to worry you but it is something I would have liked to know when my 1st child was born.

Burbcloths are good to have, but the KRAMA (i think) from Ikea are cheap and work fine. Maybe an extra thin cotton cloth of two to dry them after bathing.

What they do not need, imo: pacifiers. Maybe they come in handy in the beginning but when they are 1 year old and you have to wake up 6 times a night because they have lost it you wish you never gave them. Soap or frequent baths. A babybath: sink, bucket or take them with you in the shower. Fancy but uncomfy clothes. Shoes. More than 2 bottles. A bottle steriliser. Baby-monitoring-things. Baby's are used to constant noises in the belly and sleep very well when they are near you so that is even safer, I think. Swimsuits. 'Educational' toys. Most toys, actually. Diaper changing station: your kitchentable or couch is fine.

But it can be tough to resist those things, when society seems you need them all. Or grandparents. Friends. Healthcarepeople.

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2017, 09:19:47 AM »
My advice as a father of 2 (one 2.5 yrs, one 4 months), in general for baby items:
Wait until you know you need X (for example: these diapers are stinking up my kitchen and now I'm sure I need a diaper pail).
After you know you need X, ask your friends with kids if they have one they aren't using anymore. Most of them have way too much Xs that they don't need, since people buy way too much baby stuff then get even more at showers.

This seems like awesome advice!

Writology

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Writology
« Reply #165 on: April 18, 2017, 01:20:28 PM »
Really important advices! Thanks a lot all of you. It would be grateful to memorize them.)))

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2017, 10:43:14 PM »
OMG I have so much to say & update but my daughter, who is now 15 weeks, went to bed & I pumped an hr ago, so I need to sleep. Will update tomorrow, but yes, losing sleep & trying to adapt is the hardest. Thank you & bless everyone!

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2017, 11:26:56 PM »

This seems like awesome advice!
We've been using this method, it's been great, even though what we need might be a last-minute realisation... After our initial "needs" (cot, pram, change mat). We received SO many rugs, but it means it doesn't matter.if the baby gets them mucky, just stick in the wash and pull out the next one.
OMG I have so much to say & update but my daughter, who is now 15 weeks, went to bed & I pumped an hr ago, so I need to sleep. Will update tomorrow, but yes, losing sleep & trying to adapt is the hardest. Thank you & bless everyone!
Congratulations! I look forward to the update :D

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2017, 05:32:36 PM »
Congratulations! I look forward to the update :D

Thank you! Well, I found registering at multiple stores helpful bc of the coupons and goody bags. You don't have to actually use them in your baby shower. I felt Target had the best goody bag, but when Amazon offers one it seems even better! BuyBuy Baby is better than Babies R Us, but they both have ridiculously overpriced inventory. They will either price match (I mainly use the Amazon app and scan the bar code) or accept a coupon, but not both. BuyBuy Baby will accept 20% off coupons on clearance items and they generally accept 20% coupons from Bed Bath and Beyond which are usually a plenty in newspapers and online so that is another +1 for  BBB. Though all in all after your baby shower, I suggest going to Marshall's, TJ Maxx and Home Goods. They have much cheaper Swaddle blankets, wash cloths (they sold like 24 for $5 which even beat Amazon), etc. and sometimes even bouncers and rockers. I even found baby proof plastic thingies for drawers AND outlets for $3 instead of $5 for just the outlet ones. I was so tempted to register for another "baby" after mine was born bc I noticed they sent fewer and fewer coupons after the baby arrives. I'm sure it's another genius ploy to get you to over spend bc you won't return it, forget to, or it's after the return period. After all, don't you truly know what you need only AFTER the baby arrives? I'm going to give my baby a bath so I will continue this soon. :-)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 05:35:58 PM by MrsCoolCat »

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: May 20, 2017, 10:02:32 PM »
Sorry for the delay. I am utilizing the OfferUp and LetGo app for used baby items but Mr. One Cool Cat preferred new stuff in the beginning. I've found couponing for Huggies diaper jumbo packs to be the cheapest, though part of that usually involves CVS Extracare Bucks which you pretty much have to consider as cash. I do Target and Publix, too. Publix has a great Baby Club with coupons. Lookout for Target and Walmart clearance areas when you can. I find scanning the bar code using the Amazon app helpful when trying to compare prices and do a price match, esp at Target or BBB and Babies R Us. I pretty much subscribed to Enfamil, Similac and Gerber emails, etc. I've gotten samples and valuable coupons. It's funny how we spent like $60 on formula in the beginning with not a coupon or memory of a coupon in sight. I found the rocker, bouncer and play mats a necessity so far. More so during week 14 and onward when my daughter was able to show more of an interest in them. Rocker and bouncer were utilized immediately in terms of resting the newborn somewhere to sleep or do an errand. Some women swear by the baby slings but I used mine later bc I didn't want my daughter addicted to it. I found the rocking chair, new musical mobile and diaper genie to be the biggest waste. Idk but I just didn't like the chair. The mobiles are expensive! I see no point in buying a new one. The diaper genie, though kinda useful the refills are expensive, but if you get one get it used and just throw the poop diapers in there. The pee ones barely smell. Definitely pick a good breast pump since you can usually pick through insurance. I have a lot more but will try to post again, soon. Thanks!

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: May 21, 2017, 07:08:42 AM »
... I find scanning the bar code using the Amazon app helpful when trying to compare prices and do a price match, esp at Target or BBB and Babies R Us...

I did not know you could do this, thanks for the tip! If you are at BBB, and you scan an item that is cheaper on Amazon, do you just show that to the cashier when checking out? How does the price match work logistically?

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #171 on: May 21, 2017, 10:53:57 AM »
... I find scanning the bar code using the Amazon app helpful when trying to compare prices and do a price match, esp at Target or BBB and Babies R Us...

I did not know you could do this, thanks for the tip! If you are at BBB, and you scan an item that is cheaper on Amazon, do you just show that to the cashier when checking out? How does the price match work logistically?

Hi! You have to go to Customer Service. You can't go to the regular line to checkout. Same with Target which I've found a few items cheaper on Amazon but Target has this policy about it can't be for Amazon Prime customers, and even this policy really depends on how knowledgeable ur cashier is, like with any store. And it always has to be the exact same item, so scanning the barcode makes this easier!

I've found a lot of items cheaper on Amazon (esp if ur in a state where Amazon doesn't tax), but with the price match u don't have to wait the 2+ days dep on how close u live near the actual store. This also makes the coupons pretty useless bc 20% off often makes it the same price as Amazon (since u can't price match AND get 20% off)! Depending on the item I'd check out TJ Maxx, Ross, etc. first. I also find it a shame the stores educate the baby registrant mom about the price match but not the ppl who buy from the registry.

Also, I try to only use the $5 off $15+ purchase coupons from BBB (I feel Babies R Us rarely has coupons except maybe 15% off which I might as well just get from Amazon) when the item is about the same price from Amazon bc A LOT of items are inflated so my coupon would pretty much be making the items the same price as Amazon!

Lastly, remember that Amazon prices do change daily if not even throughout the day. I've reordered & returned items from Amazon that were lower in price. It's silly how they don't just give u the price difference since they have to pay for the return shipping. I guess bc most ppl won't go through the hassle over $5 or whatever, but sometimes it's a lot more. I notice Walmart online & Amazon prices are pretty identical, too. I believe Walmart price matches Amazon.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 11:05:14 AM by MrsCoolCat »

BuffaloStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #172 on: May 24, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »
Great info, thanks!

Apples

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #173 on: May 25, 2017, 02:05:39 PM »
All of this info. is amazing! Thank you for such a great thread!

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #174 on: May 28, 2017, 09:24:09 PM »
Yw! I want to add that I was at BBB trying to use my $5 off $15 & $15 off $50. A Brica portable bassinet was on clearance for $40 supposedly retails for $50. It's $32-$34 on Amazon, so Amazon was still a better deal. If u use the 20% off coupon or price match then it's pretty much the same price & u wouldn't have to wait 2+ days to receive, but Amazon has pretty much been cheaper prob 90% of the time than the large baby mega stores.