Author Topic: Solutions for Rambunctious, Emotional, Bright Kindergartner?  (Read 9454 times)

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
Re: Solutions for Rambunctious, Emotional, Bright Kindergartner?
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2018, 08:04:14 AM »
Hi All,

just checking in with an update. School went downhill rapidly in the two weeks before Christmas. The pediatric psychologist at the therapy center we took him to says his anxiety level is off the charts so we're working on just making him feel loved and supported.

We had a wonderful three weeks off for Christmas break. He did a lego camp and a science camp and has since become obsessed with making circuit projects, started teaching himself to play ukulele, and we had lots of outdoor fun and did tons of swimming at the Y- only one tantrum the day after Christmas. In short - he was beautifully and age appropriately behaved the entire time he was home.

School started this week and he is so sad and avoidant.

I've started reaching out to some nearby private schools to see about class sizes and letting kids move at their own speed, etc. I still want to give the therapy a chance and give public school a shot, but a child crying about going to kindergarten makes me feel like I need to start looking at additional options.

We haven't ruled out more intense testing yet (for giftedness or disorders) but did what I think was a fairly thorough initial "diagnosis" interview at the therapy practice (diagnosis = high anxiety and very bright and some oppositional issues when commands don't "make sense").

Thanks everyone for the links! Better Late - my son's kindergarten teacher also provided some of those links to me. The Hoagies site is so DENSE! But lots of good stuff there.

I'll be going back and perusing those comments about private school too. Thanks everyone so much for all of your comments over the course of this thread. It actually gave me good stuff to target in on and I think we got the therapy ball rolling much sooner than I think I would have otherwise. Anxiety in a young child wasn't even on my radar.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 02:27:00 PM by StarBright »

jeninco

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2018, 02:17:52 PM »
Gosh, StarBright, what a sad and horrible situation for all of you! (But especially for the little boy stuck in such an unhappy situation!).

Luckily for him, he's got you looking out for his interests -- good luck finding a situation that works better for you all.

bearandmoose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2018, 01:33:18 AM »
We have a 5 year old with anxiety and I found the GoZen online videos helpful to watch with her.  They helped her to understand why we worry, why worrying is good, but some people worry too much.  It also built a shared vocabulary of approaches to figure out when she is worrying, why she is worrying, and how to address her worry.  We would cuddle and watch the videos together for 10-30 minutes a day.  I liked that it complemented what she was getting elsewhere but wasn't likely to cause any harm to her if the diagnosis or treatment approach changed.

aneel

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2018, 07:34:59 AM »
Have you read the book "Raising Your Spirited Child" by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka? It's been recommended to me (I have my hands full with a similar kindergartner, in this case my youngest child). I haven't read it yet, but I think I'm finally going to do so. Might be worth checking out at your library? Unfortunately I do not have any answers, just commiseration.

OPs post almost exactly describes our son, however he's not yet in Kindergarten (he's 4.5), and he was adopted at 3.5 so we have an added uncertainty of where the emotional/behavioral issues manifest and what his history of them are.

We are on month #2 of weekly behavior therapy.  At that young age its about 1/2 parent discussion with therapist and 1/2 child therapist 1:1 time.  I highly recommend the therapy route to try some behavior management techniques that maybe you haven't, or revisit ones that didn't work in the past. 

When our DS was in daycare I often worried about how other kids were affected by his behavior (he also experiences full day meltdowns) but they assured me that while he has rough patches, he was not disrupting the class.

I think as parents, we're so worried about anticipating problems that we can tend to overreact.  The school is (hopefully) full of professionals, and if they feel your child is too disruptive they will tell you.  As the parent you are not in the classroom and not the one who is responsible for looking out for the other 25 kids.  Stick it out, stay strong, and take care of yourself!

ETA: that I just checked out the spirited child book this week as it also came recommended.  PM if you need/want more moral support
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:37:09 AM by aneel »

StarBright

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »
School psychologist here--ask for your school psych to do some observations in the classroom.  He/She will look at both your child and the makeup of the room and the interactions among the peers.  Environment is just as important as the "target" student.  Too often teachers or parents focus mainly on the individual student and not the whole picture. 

The information you said does sound ADHD/ASD/sensory-ish.  He may also be somewhat bored if he's picked up reading so quickly and his classmates are still learning letters and sounds.  Of course, I am not diagnosing anything! If your child were in my school, those would be the areas I'd be focusing on. 

You may want to check out the website www.interventioncentral.org   There are lots of behavior and academic ideas for teachers and parents.

@spookytaffy  , Just wanted to add a thanks for this excellent suggestion - we requested this and I had the meeting with the assistant principal and school counselor yesterday. The AP said they had identified two very specific trigger points for my kid.  We are going to start working on a plan with the teacher/AP/and StarKid next week.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my post because I think this is going to make a huge difference for us.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:48:54 AM by StarBright »