Author Topic: SAHP Side Hustle Ideas?  (Read 4887 times)

MinnieAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
SAHP Side Hustle Ideas?
« on: June 19, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »
My husband and I would like to start a family within the next few years, and it is a huge goal/aspiration of mine to stay at home with our children. As DINKs, we are preparing for this transition by saving/investing nearly 100% of my paycheck to practice living on my husband's salary alone. However, I would feel more secure in our decision for me to become a SAHM if I knew there were legitimate side hustle options that I could persue if we wanted/needed additional income. Are there any SAHPs out there with ideas/advice/strategies??

A bit of background: I graduated with a bachelor's degree in marketing just a few years ago. I held a few marketing-related internships during school, but got into sales after graduation. Because my current job involves traveling to visit clients, I expect that it will not be flexible enough for me to maintain while staying home with children.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
Re: SAHP Side Hustle Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 06:08:22 AM »
I substitute taught but that works better once your kids are school aged.

You can teach at a gym- if they have childcare, your kid can go for free usually.

I watched an extra kid one day a week. O couldn't handle doing it full time, but one day a week was great.

Don't think you'll be able to really work much if at all with a baby at home. Or a toddler. Maybe a preschooler. Maybe. You won't have much free time and you'll want to use what you have to do things like bathe and wipe your butt in peace.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:49:25 PM »
I teach english online to kids in china. I love the kids, adorable. It's one on one, so way easier than classroom teaching. And the curriculum is already prepped for you. You just jump online and go through a powerpoint together. Video. https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=4568896 Use my link, here's my code if you need it 02PXDS.

I make $20/hr. Plus random bonuses. The time is perfect for stay at home parents, I work from 4 am to 7 am. Sound rough at first, and it takes some adjusting. I started from 5:30-7, and worked my way earlier. I go to bed between 8-9.

It's good though because your kid is usually asleep at that time, and or your dh is home to handle an early morning feed or comfort.

My first month I made $900, and this month I'll make $1300. Remember though, no commuting costs or time, no babysitter, no fancy wardrobe. I teach braless and in my pajama pants. ;)

You'll need a bachelor's and they ask for teaching experience, so anything you can think of that could be considered teaching experience will help.

MinnieAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:26:37 PM »
I substitute taught but that works better once your kids are school aged.

You can teach at a gym- if they have childcare, your kid can go for free usually.

I watched an extra kid one day a week. O couldn't handle doing it full time, but one day a week was great.

Don't think you'll be able to really work much if at all with a baby at home. Or a toddler. Maybe a preschooler. Maybe. You won't have much free time and you'll want to use what you have to do things like bathe and wipe your butt in peace.

Thank you for your response! All great ideas. I agree with you when you say that I probably won't be able to work much with a baby at home. I just feel like I'll be more secure in my decision to stay at home if I know that there are options out there for more flexible income.

MinnieAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 01:28:53 PM »
I teach english online to kids in china. I love the kids, adorable. It's one on one, so way easier than classroom teaching. And the curriculum is already prepped for you. You just jump online and go through a powerpoint together. Video. https://t.vipkid.com.cn/?refereeId=4568896 Use my link, here's my code if you need it 02PXDS.

I make $20/hr. Plus random bonuses. The time is perfect for stay at home parents, I work from 4 am to 7 am. Sound rough at first, and it takes some adjusting. I started from 5:30-7, and worked my way earlier. I go to bed between 8-9.

It's good though because your kid is usually asleep at that time, and or your dh is home to handle an early morning feed or comfort.

My first month I made $900, and this month I'll make $1300. Remember though, no commuting costs or time, no babysitter, no fancy wardrobe. I teach braless and in my pajama pants. ;)

You'll need a bachelor's and they ask for teaching experience, so anything you can think of that could be considered teaching experience will help.

Thank you so much for the information, LadyStache! I really appreciate it. This sounds like it could be a fantastic opportunity as a SAHM. If you don't mind me asking, what is your background? Did you have any formal training/experience when you began teaching English?

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 05:47:27 PM »
This may not be the side hustle you're looking for, but credit card hacking :) I'm obviously not making as much as my DH, but since I started one year ago, I've earned $1300 cash plus one $400 plane ticket plus 165,000 Chase UR points that we'll redeem this summer (or I could get straight-up cash).

I sell a lot on ebay/Craigslist...not super lucrative, but I've made about $4800 in 2.5 years and it's helped me declutter my house.

Also, I don't know what field you're in, but tele-work may be an option - I'm a speech pathologist and there are tons of teletherapy companies. I haven't done it because my husband travels and I would need regular childcare, but I'm keeping it as a back-up. I found out about one company from a teacher I worked with who quit to teach from home for an online charter school.

I know a mom who teaches online classes for a local community college. She works in the evenings. Not sure what her background/degree is, though.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »

Thank you so much for the information, LadyStache! I really appreciate it. This sounds like it could be a fantastic opportunity as a SAHM. If you don't mind me asking, what is your background? Did you have any formal training/experience when you began teaching English?

Honestly yes, but not when I started THAT job. I volunteered at a local teach-kids-english after school class for about a year. When my friend was leaving her job (teaching english to 1st and 2nd grade Mexicans) at a local private elementary school, I decided to apply. I got it because the boss was the same person who ran the volunteer job, so she knew me. I did that for 3 years and got better and better at it.

But I'm telling you this because when I started, I really didn't have any training or experience. So this could be that for you.

There are a ton of great sources on youtube that will give you a feel for how to do it. I can send you the links if you decide to go for it.

MinnieAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 03:43:42 PM »
This may not be the side hustle you're looking for, but credit card hacking :) I'm obviously not making as much as my DH, but since I started one year ago, I've earned $1300 cash plus one $400 plane ticket plus 165,000 Chase UR points that we'll redeem this summer (or I could get straight-up cash).

I sell a lot on ebay/Craigslist...not super lucrative, but I've made about $4800 in 2.5 years and it's helped me declutter my house.

Also, I don't know what field you're in, but tele-work may be an option - I'm a speech pathologist and there are tons of teletherapy companies. I haven't done it because my husband travels and I would need regular childcare, but I'm keeping it as a back-up. I found out about one company from a teacher I worked with who quit to teach from home for an online charter school.

I know a mom who teaches online classes for a local community college. She works in the evenings. Not sure what her background/degree is, though.

Thanks for your reply, VeggieTable!

I LOVE credit card hacking!!! Specifically, my husband and I travel hack. So far, we've earned flights and seven nights in the most beautiful hotel in Paris (last fall), flights and accommodations in Cancun for a long weekend, and this October we're flying and staying in Morocco on Chase points! We've also accrued roughly 500k Marriott points. Credit card hacking is a huge reason we're able to afford traveling as much as we do, and I love it. Do you typically use your "rewards" on travel? Or do you cash out?

What are you typically selling on Craigslist? We've used Craigslist in the past to sell unwanted/unneeded furniture, but that's about it.

I'm in fire protection sales right now, and there really aren't any telecommuting positions in my field, as I am client-facing. Definitely something to look into though.

MinnieAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2017, 03:49:49 PM »

Honestly yes, but not when I started THAT job. I volunteered at a local teach-kids-english after school class for about a year. When my friend was leaving her job (teaching english to 1st and 2nd grade Mexicans) at a local private elementary school, I decided to apply. I got it because the boss was the same person who ran the volunteer job, so she knew me. I did that for 3 years and got better and better at it.

But I'm telling you this because when I started, I really didn't have any training or experience. So this could be that for you.

There are a ton of great sources on youtube that will give you a feel for how to do it. I can send you the links if you decide to go for it.

This is awesome information, LadyStache. I signed up for an account on the site you linked and used your code, and I'm definitely interested in applying within the next few years when I'm a SAHM. Thanks so much!!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 09:51:31 PM »
I would add bank account churning to the credit cards.  My wife and I are on track to hit $8,000 this year from bank bonuses.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/ is by far the best resource to find them.

MinnieAG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 01:52:02 PM »
I would add bank account churning to the credit cards.  My wife and I are on track to hit $8,000 this year from bank bonuses.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/ is by far the best resource to find them.

Thanks for the advice!! I don't know much about bank account churning... I'll have to look into it!

dakota5176

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »
I do surveys on mturk - through Amazon.  I usually get $150 a month.  It's not much but it pays a few bills.  The pros are you can do it in your pajamas on the couch when your kid is asleep.  Also often survey questions are repeated so I can do them very quickly.

The cons are there is a stiff learning curve.  You really need 1000 approvals before you can get better things.  You also should learn to use scripts like panda crazy and hitscraper.  It can be mind numbingly boring at times.  I would suggest watching some youtube videos for further explanations.

frooglepoodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 06:22:49 AM »
Posting to follow! And thank you LadyStache for sharing the English teaching. We are about to move, but I might be interested in trying that once we're settled.

Another idea for the OP - I know a SAHM who has started a home based business baking cakes and cupcakes. It's dependent on the regulations in your state (google search "cottage food laws" + your state name), and I don't think it's a huge amount of money but if that's something you'd enjoy, it sounds like you have a few years to find a baking niche and get really good at decorating.

My only side hustles are casual credit card churning, and occasionally selling unused stuff from around the house or flipping thrift store finds on eBay/craigslist/PoshMark. I've made maybe $150 in the past year with sewing related stuff - mostly hemming and a few custom baby gifts. That's just stuff that has literally fallen in my lap, I imagine I could get more of it if I actively marketed myself.

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »
Following!

nowseehere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »
Another one tagging to follow! I will definitely check out  LadyStache in Baja's link for teaching English from home - this sounds perfect. I've been looking for a side hustle I could do in the evenings that wasn't Lyft (my car is too old!) that would still allow for me to set my own schedule.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »
Now is the best time to do the english thing if you're looking for evening hours. The kids are out on summer vacation, so our evening is their morning, and they're available now. Once school starts, evenings hours are only available Friday and Saturday (their Sat am and Sunday am). But, even still, if you don't mind staying up late, you can literally work from 7 pm - dawn if that floats your boat! Or until as late as you want. ;) Not sure how much lyft drivers make an hour, but I'd much rather be in my house in the late evening!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!