Author Topic: Replace my son's stolen bike for him??!?!?!  (Read 6013 times)

Margie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Replace my son's stolen bike for him??!?!?!
« on: September 15, 2018, 12:21:25 PM »
So, we bought our son a great mountain bike last year after having inexpensive bikes since he was little.  (16 now)  He loves it but doesn't leave it anywhere...takes it from garage to trail and back...

Anyhow, he had my old mountain bike (a good one 15 years ago..) which he used as a commuter.  He hated it, ugly old and not a perfect fit.

He worked all summer and wanted to buy himself a new BMX.  I told him he could trade my bike in (for parts, etc...) and yeah go ahead your money your deal.  Do what you want.

He bought a new BMX on Saturday.  Rode it all day on Sunday with friend.  Took it to school on Monday and then Tuesday it was stolen from school.  He was shocked.  But, he worked all summer and has a lot of money left to spend/save.  He said he is going to wait a few weeks to see if police find it and if not he will just go buy another one. 

I am tempted to go buy him one because I feel so bad that he literally had this bike for less than four days.  He is a pretty good kid and fairly responsible however, I also like that he didn't ask us to replace it and he was willing to put his own money up again.

Would you replace it? 

singpolyma

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Replace my son's stolen bike for him??!?!?!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 12:26:59 PM »
It sucks that this happened, and I get similar feelings whenever anyone in my family has an unexpected financial difficulty. But, are you going to help him out with capital replacements all his life? It sounds like he's got a solid plan and ability to replace it himself -- let him be his own person.

My 2c

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:29:01 PM »
I wouldn’t replace it either. It does suck that the brand new really nice bike was a target, but you replacing it sends the wrong message.

What was the failure at school? Was the lock defeated, or no lock at all? This is a learning opportunity to insure it doesn’t happen again. Your son should be researching this.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 03:45:25 PM »
If it was the only bike he had, I'd probably buy him a new one.  Life is to short to waste days without a bicycle.  He already has one that you've described as 'nice' though, and the stolen bike was partly purchased with cash from your old bike that you gave him.  Teachable moment, life experience, etc.

I'd buy him a good u-lock and cable, and show him how to use it properly though.

Margie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 04:04:26 PM »
Thank you - you all confirmed my original thought...let him be responsible for it.

He had it locked up to the railing beside the bike racks (they were full)  The thief just cut the lock and left it on the ground.  It was a good lock so that part bites.  Thief was obviously prepared to steal a bike.  Good news is the whole thing is on camera and the school said it was definitely not another student, which is a huge relief because that would have been awful having to see the kid who stole your bike every day! 

Anyhow, we are waiting and hopeful that the thief is known to police and they go get it. 

We've been watching for it to be up for sale but no luck so far! 

He did purchase another U lock so hopefully that will keep his next school bike safe...what a PITA it is a 30 min walk to school so he has to get up earlier!  lol  poor kid

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 06:06:05 PM »
Do you have a renters or home insurance policy that would cover it? I have USAA renters insurance, and have had two bikes stolen over the years. It was really easy to submit a claim and I got the amount of the bike within two weeks. I wouldn't do it unless the price of the stolen item was significantly more than the deductible, obviously, but I bet this bike qualifies. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 06:29:08 PM »
I'd also recommend filing an insurance claim (especially since you have a video of the theft).

OR, if it isn't worth the insurance claim, explaining the process of insurance to your son, and "self-insuring", and buying a new one for him.
It's a good lesson in having savings can help solve problems, when he isn't a kid anymore parents can't solve the problem, so he'll have to make sure to have the emergency fund in the future.

I'd also talk with him about whether he really wants to buy another fancy bike. It's going to be a target for theft again. Would he rather have a regular bike? Make it clear you won't replace it again. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
Yes, teachable moment. If you’re going to buy a very nice bike that’s nicer than other bikes in the vicinity, it will be a target for theft. That’s just a likely conclusion. Therefore, you need to plan to upgrade your security or find some way to camouflage the niceness of the bike to make it less palatable to potential thieves or park it in a high visibility spot that makes stealing it more difficult. Or make plans in your budget to replace it every few months to a year.

I would probably contribute to his new bike but not contribute enough to replace his high end bike. So I would (out of Kindness and Generosity and because my value is that family helps each other) contribute enough to get him a normal commuter bike, but if he wants the fancy bells and whistles he will need to pay for the upgrades himself.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
Heartbreaker!

My kids both ride used beaters to school pretty much for this reason. And if the bikes do get taken (which is pretty unlikely -- they're among the least nice bikes at school) they only cost around $100 each, so not a particularly big deal to replace.

I'd probably also contribute enough for a decent bike, but not more.

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 11:45:50 AM »
I would pay for the new lock. If its a nice bike, get the best lock you can find. Maybe 2. My Mtn bike has a removable through axel. If I am leaving the bike at a rack I take that with me and lock the wheel to the frame. Its not gonna be ridden away atleast.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 08:08:16 AM »
The fact that he locked it changes the discussion. I'd help him buy a new one.

When I was 10 way back in the Stone Age of 1980, the Schwinn Scrambler BMX bike was the coveted bike to have. It was $180, which translates to $583 today. My parents said they'd pay for half if I earned the rest with my lawn-mowing money. (Imagine that today. A 10-year-old cutting lawns. Right.)

I biked everywhere -- to the supermarket to buy baseball cards, to one of the first video arcades (Again, imagine a 10-year-old today doing these things. They'd call child protective service) and dutifully locked my bike.

Two neighbor kids also received the same bikes, fully paid by parents. Not for birthdays, just part of their steady stream of getting whatever they wanted. Bikes were promptly stolen from video arcade as they forgot to lock them up. Parents immediately bought new ones.

These boys did not turn out well and while I imagine there were a number of factors, this episode was indicative of some questionable parental judgment.

Not really comparable to your situation, but it reminded me of it.

Margie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »
The Good:

son has decided to build his own bike....good for his brain and his character.  He is mechanically inclined so I think it will be a good project for him. 

The Bad:

He wants my husband to help paint it (my husband should have been a graphic artist) so I can only imagine how cool it will look and so it will probably get stolen too!  I suggested he build two - one for fun and one for commuting. 

The Ugly:

He can not believe the police haven't even picked up the recording from the school.  Apparently bikes are stolen on a reasonably regular basis from the school so the boys are trying to decide if they should stake it out...seriously.  I told mine if he skips school to do this it will be a bad day (he doesn't skip school at this point)  and that really it will just end in a physical fight which will probably result in assault charges for someone. 

Fun times!

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
can not believe the police haven't even picked up the recording from the school.  Apparently bikes are stolen on a reasonably regular basis from the school

Sorry to hear about the bike. The above really gets me, I understand the police have limited resources and see this a non-violent crime low priority. However, I believe the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory applies to this type of thing. Bike lock, camera footage, what else do they expect citizens to do.  I would try calling a city counselor or the mayor local news station to escalate using the example that students are being forced to become vigilantes to protect their property.

Glad to hear son and father working together to make a new bike. Good to see something positive coming out of it. 

Cycling Stache

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 12:54:44 PM »
You all are tough!!

I would absolutely buy the kid a new bike.  He already demonstrated the discipline to save money for his goal, bought it, locked it up, and somebody ripped him off.  It's one thing to learn life lessons, but at a certain point, you still get to help your kids out.  I don't think the lesson should be that life is shitty so own shitty things.

Now maybe it's a one-time replacement, and you can explain that so he can make some decisions about whether to ride it to school, etc.  But I think the main reason not to buy stuff for kids is to teach them the value of money and to save for what they really want.  Your son did that.  Now it's just a question of can you insulate him a little from the life is shitty lesson.  I think it's okay to say yes to that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2018, 01:19:23 PM »
can not believe the police haven't even picked up the recording from the school.  Apparently bikes are stolen on a reasonably regular basis from the school

Sorry to hear about the bike. The above really gets me, I understand the police have limited resources and see this a non-violent crime low priority. However, I believe the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory applies to this type of thing. Bike lock, camera footage, what else do they expect citizens to do.  I would try calling a city counselor or the mayor local news station to escalate using the example that students are being forced to become vigilantes to protect their property.

Glad to hear son and father working together to make a new bike. Good to see something positive coming out of it.

I (and many people like me) use our bikes to commute and run errands.  They are, in effect, cars for us.  I've always thought it was sad that police will investigate the theft of even crappy beater cars, but generally tend to ignore theft of bikes.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2018, 01:26:11 PM »

I (and many people like me) use our bikes to commute and run errands.  They are, in effect, cars for us.  I've always thought it was sad that police will investigate the theft of even crappy beater cars, but generally tend to ignore theft of bikes.
Yup. If they can bother arresting people and sending them to court for shoplifting crap from the mall, they should also have time to spend on investigating thefts of commuting vehicles from private citizens. When my sisters bike was stolen, the cops said they knew of a few stores that sold stolen bikes, we should check there. They didn't try very hard to figure out who did it, and basically said we'd be lucky if it ever turned up. That's the main reason why I don't bother upgrading my bike, it's rusty and trusty and not a target.

me1

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2018, 01:27:05 PM »
Has he tried this
https://bikeindex.org/stolen

I've had 3 bikes stolen in my life. The first one was super nice and shiny. And was stolen within a week of buying it. So I feel his pain. I never bought a new or expensive bike after that. So it was a good mustachian lesson to learn.
Also, the only people who I have ever known to recover their bikes, went searching through local pawn shops, so might be something to try.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2018, 05:14:03 PM »
I'd buy the kid a fresh one, there is no lesson to learn here other than the fact that the real world can be cruel.  He already learned that plenty.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2018, 07:53:40 PM »
Yah...my husband won't buy a nice commuter bike or let any of us buy anything other than a Walmart special. Precisely for this reason. I sometimes lust for a fancy bike - but DH is right.

It sucks. I'd probably let him use his own plans and find other ways to gift him something nice later. Good for him for managing the problem himself.

---------------------

Camp Mustache Toronto (Sep 21-23) is where all the cool Mustachians will be gathering for meatball parties,  karaoke in the bell tower and VolleyHockeyBall!

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 09:58:13 AM »
Yah...my husband won't buy a nice commuter bike or let any of us buy anything other than a Walmart special. Precisely for this reason. I sometimes lust for a fancy bike - but DH is right.

It sucks. I'd probably let him use his own plans and find other ways to gift him something nice later. Good for him for managing the problem himself.

---------------------

Camp Mustache Toronto (Sep 21-23) is where all the cool Mustachians will be gathering for meatball parties,  karaoke in the bell tower and VolleyHockeyBall!

See, I disagree about the "Walmart special" part -- I want everyone in our house to have decent bikes, so they're easy to ride and maintain.

The trick is to make sure they look like crap. So a banged up 10-year-old medium-end-or-nicer bike, as long as it looks cruddy, is the thing we're looking for. As long as it's not one of the nicer-looking bikes on the rack it's all good... (And also teaches the kids lessons about choosing quality  even when it's not shiny.) Fortunately, we live in a place where really nice used bikes are for sale cheap(ish).

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 12:36:02 PM »
Good point. I just bought a reasonable looking folding bike from Winners for $80, worth about $200 I think. It's the "nicest" commuter bike in our household (what can I say - we generally ride for hours on rusted pieces of junk, although I did buy my more peer-pressured DS15 a brand new Huffy - quality bike so it was a least somewhat shiny lol) and I know he will be freaked out if we take it grocery shopping, etc. So far it hasn't made it any further than my shed so we'll see how it goes. It will certainly lose its flexibility for me if DH is too scared for us to leave it locked up somewhere.

---------------------

maltmc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2018, 04:22:32 PM »
Sorry to hear about your son's stolen bike.

My suggestion regardless of who bankrolls the new bike would be (as others have suggested) to buy and use an excellent U-lock (for the frame) and a separate cable (for the wheels).  If he does get a nice bike, I would additionally suggest that he do what I do with my bianchi and put a number of stickers and duct tape on it (covering the manufacturer/model logos).  This could be a fun personalizing activity, but also serves two very practical purposes: it makes the bike less desirable to a thief (by making it look cheaper and less attractive to a fence) and makes the bike more identifiable (in case it does get stolen, to be reclaimed).

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
I would buy him a new bike. He was not careless and no lessons for him to learn. I was a tough parent but your kid sounds great.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2018, 03:28:34 PM »
I would buy him a new bike. He was not careless and no lessons for him to learn. I was a tough parent but your kid sounds great.
Yeah,  I second this.   Especially as he had actually locked it up. 

I don't replace the lights / accessories that are constantly stolen on my DS's bike, because he knows he needs to remove them.

You could ask him for a reasonable small $ to act like an "insurance deductible". Such as $100.   It is not his fault if you chose to get home owners insurance with a very high deductible, is it?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »

Yes. When both of ours were stolen (locked in our private yard), the police did zero. As in even neglected to contact us when they found one -they were going to auction it off :(    In another case, they didn't pick up the security footage of the theft, the identify of the robber, etc. I lost so much faith after these two instances.

The bikes were the bulk of our possessions in volume, and next to the car and computer the most valuable things we owned. We didn't really have anything else. It was very frustrating for me that they continued chasing those stealing our extremely wealthy neighbours' toys (boats, third show vehicle, etc) but not our basics. I felt like police action should respond to practical value, percentage of one's net worth, or something.

I would at least pitch in a bunch for a replacement. I would do the same for a neighbour, so for sure for my kid :)

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2018, 03:44:06 PM »
he worked all summer and has a lot of money left to spend/save.  He said he is going to wait a few weeks to see if police find it and if not he will just go buy another one. 
He told you that he is growing up and wants to take responsibility for things himself. Let him do so. Be proud that you have brought him up to be resilient and self-reliant.

Sunshinewhenitrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2018, 08:06:56 PM »
This is a tough one!

I am die hard about not buying anything for my son except for his birthday and Christmas. He can buy the rest himself with his own money. He's 6.

But in this story....

Your son did everything "right."

He didn't even ask for money to buy the new bike. You must be soooo proud!!!!

Sometimes shit happens.

Sometimes you have a bad day.

Sometimes you just want to help someone.

Even more true...if it's someone you love.

I would contribute. 

I might even surprize him with the new bike.

Life is full of good and challenging suprizes, no?

Whatever you decide. Very inspired by your son.

UndergroundDaytimeDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2018, 06:54:50 AM »
I would replace it.  He took all reasonable precaution, but was clearly targeted by organized thieves.  As I read your post, my first thought was, that sounds like something that happens here in Ontario.  Then I see that is where you live also. 

An old co-worker's husband took down a massive bike theft ring running out of a legit appearing retail store.  His bike was stolen in front of him and he Forest Gump ran and ran for kilometers to where they stashed it, all while taking photos and video.  Police were satisfied and this additional evidence let them finally move on the store. 

Point being, for whatever reason, these kinds of thefts are an impossibly low priority around here.  Better to replace the bike for him than having him hold out misplaced hope of it being recovered. 

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 07:20:51 AM »
I'd want to help catch the thief.  He's still out there stealing bikes any time he chooses.  Somebody needs to teach him a lesson. 

How many bikes has he stolen & how many more will he steal? 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 07:38:10 AM »
Haven't seen this mentioned (though possible I missed it) - many u-bolt lock manufacturers offer payouts if your bike is every stolen and the thief cut the lock.  I'd first look into whether this applied for his bike (Kryptonite and OnGuard both offer this on most of their locks).  Since there's video and the thief left the lock behind, it seems a straightforward claim.

Regardless of the previous lock was covered, I'd gift him a new lock that includes theft reimbursement.  For under $50 you can get locks that will pay up to $1500 (up to the value of the bike) *if* the lock was cut/foiled to steal the bike.  You can also put bicycles under your homeowners/renters insurance (often as a rider - no pun intended), which you could do either as a gift to him or you could offer it to him as a service to him ("if you pay the ~$5/month we'll add your bike to our insurance")

Margie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »
It was an OnGuard lock so I will definitely take a look at their warranty info. I really do want to replace his bike for him but I think many of you are right here...he did the right thing and he had his own solution figured out...(buying another one if not found).  He is a pretty good kid and just got a school year job (grocery store) so that is good for him.  He will go back to the full time gig next summer as they already asked him to work PD days and to come back.  He was pretty happy about that.

I emailed the school resource officer on Monday (so a week ago) and he still has not called me back.  This is the part that makes me delirious.  You have the tape put up a poster or two!  I bet this guy steals bikes regularly given he apparently brings the wire cutter thingy with him!  There was a drug bust in my city and apparently a lot of bikes were found so I want to check if his was one of them....I totally get it is a long shot. 

So, to make myself feel better about it I might pay for his M1 training.  I do NOT want him to have a motorcycle but he is very keen and we do travel to other countries where renting a moped will come up now that he is 16.  I want him to have the training so hopefully he can protect himself.  He is getting driver's ED for Christmas (which he already knows) so if we add the M1 he will lose his mind with happiness. 

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2018, 12:49:07 PM »
Quote from: Margie link=topic=96745.

So, to make myself feel better about it [b
I might pay for his M1 training[/b].  I do NOT want him to have a motorcycle but he is very keen and we do travel to other countries where renting a moped will come up now that he is 16.  I want him to have the training so hopefully he can protect himself.  He is getting driver's ED for Christmas (which he already knows) so if we add the M1 he will lose his mind with happiness.

You're a great mom. 

And a smart one too.  ;) 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2018, 01:45:53 PM »
So, we bought our son a great mountain bike last year after having inexpensive bikes since he was little.  (16 now)  He loves it but doesn't leave it anywhere...takes it from garage to trail and back...

Anyhow, he had my old mountain bike (a good one 15 years ago..) which he used as a commuter.  He hated it, ugly old and not a perfect fit.

He worked all summer and wanted to buy himself a new BMX.  I told him he could trade my bike in (for parts, etc...) and yeah go ahead your money your deal.  Do what you want.

He bought a new BMX on Saturday.  Rode it all day on Sunday with friend.  Took it to school on Monday and then Tuesday it was stolen from school.  He was shocked.  But, he worked all summer and has a lot of money left to spend/save.  He said he is going to wait a few weeks to see if police find it and if not he will just go buy another one. 

I am tempted to go buy him one because I feel so bad that he literally had this bike for less than four days.  He is a pretty good kid and fairly responsible however, I also like that he didn't ask us to replace it and he was willing to put his own money up again.

Would you replace it?
Did he lock it?

How are biked stored at school?  Are there lockers?  Our junior high has a locked cage that only unlocks certain times of day, and bike racks inside that you can also lock.

What am I getting at-
1.  Was it stolen because he was negligent?
2. If he was not negligent, was it stolen because it's an awesome new bike, and someone recognized it?  (In other words, would the same bike be at the same risk of being stolen again?)

I see that you've answered some of these questions already.

Yes I would replace the bike with him, but I guess I wouldn't let him ride it to school if it were at risk of being stolen again.

Margie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2019, 11:19:59 AM »
So, final update...

It was making me delirious that the school resource officer hadn't called my son yet so I emailed him about it.  He called me and I told him I felt that he was missing an opportunity to speak with a group of boys who were decent kids and should be acknowledged...blah blah...He apologized and confirmed that it was definitely an adult who took the bike and while he didn't recognize the person he was comfortable saying it was probably part of a bigger bike theft gang...great.  He also said police do take bike thefts seriously because they often lead to more stolen goods and drugs.

He ended up meeting with my son and explained all of that. 

Son decided to buy another bike (same one!) and upgraded some parts and bought another lock.  He used his own money as he had planned and the bike store gave him a significant discount so that was awesome.  He will now use two good locks and hopefully this one doesn't get stolen.   His other plan of building one just got side tracked when he realized how little time he has (between school, sports, work, gaming and mountain biking....)  He is hoping to join the group that organizes a mountain bike trail close to our house so I am hopeful he will.  He said he definitely wants to start donating some money/sweat labour to it.  I am happy about that...I think it is valuable to give ones time/money so am glad that he sees some value in being a person who puts his 'money where his mouth is'

We did give him driver's ed for Christmas and Young Drivers is now $1000.00!!!  But, i am hopeful it will keep him alive as well as the practical of giving a discount on his insurance.  I told him I would pay for his M1 once he has his G2 and would consider it his birthday present.  He actually thought for a minute I would help him buy a motorcycle!  lol  yeah, no.  He is stoked more about the possibility of getting a motorcycle than a car so how knows what he will do.

Anyhow, thanks to all for your ideas and I appreciated reading them...always nice to get other perspectives on things!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2019, 11:42:13 AM »
I'de get him a bike, just not that BMX.

Teach him the value of a good beater. Just like with vehicles, a beater can be great for grocery store runs or leaving parked in city streets over night. Maybe the beater bike to and from school, and the BMX for his leisure riding once he decides he still needs a fancy BMX with a beater for transportation?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2019, 12:09:20 PM »
This is a great update, thanks.

As a teachable moment, I would allow him to buy "bike insurance" from you. You chose your homeowners insurance deductible with an eye towards self-insuring those losses that are below the deductible, but your son didn't have that option, and it sounds like this bike represents a significant investment of his own money.

If the bike is something that would be covered by your homeowners insurance otherwise (like the bike is $1000 and your deductible is $500), then I would tell him that he can buy down your deductible to something more affordable to him; like maybe if he pays you $5/month, in case of another theft he pays $100, you pay $400 and your homeowners pays the rest.

If it's not covered (e.g. $500 bike and $1000 deductible), then you could set your own terms.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2019, 02:22:46 PM »
The trick is to make sure they look like crap.

+1  I had a pretty nice Giant bike when I moved from Taiwan (where no one would steal a bike, IME) to Honolulu (where bike crime was rampant in 2004).  I wrapped the whole frame in duct tape and put a basket on the front.  I remember riding it around, and someone said "nice bike" and didn't sound sarcastic and I was like "damn".  It didn't get stolen, though. :)

That being said, every time I stopped it ANYWHERE I cabled the wheels and the seat and took off any removable components.  They would disappear in minutes.  Where I live now (Tampa) there is much less bike crime.  I still lock the wheels and take off my lights, but I don't bother with the seat anymore and I've never had it stolen (10 years of commuting).

I'm glad to hear the bike shop gave him a deal, that's cool of them, but I'd still dork this bike up. :)

LadyMaWhiskers

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2019, 06:18:22 AM »
Teachable moment for sure. Focus on getting the right balance of security and bike quality. I wouldn't hesitate to, e.g., split the cost of great locks, but let him get his own new bike with his own hard-earned money. He'll take pride in that deep down, even if he doesn't love it at first.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!