Author Topic: Picking the right Dojo  (Read 163 times)

Macgomes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Picking the right Dojo
« on: July 11, 2019, 02:34:11 PM »
Hello everyone,
As someone who has never been to karate, I wonder how you go about doing this.

Those who read my journal and have seen my other posts about my kids know that our son is going through some challenging times lately. Repeatedly we have been steered toward karate/martial arts as a tool to help him. I have never been in the martial arts world and have no idea how you go about selecting a dojo. One friend who did get involved said it was a revolving door of tournaments, uniforms, training and so on - that it was very expensive and time consuming to have kids in. Others have said it wasn't very expensive at all, and that the discipline and learning were fantastic for their kids.
mobdro lucky patcher kodi
I suspect that the difference is in the sensei (sp??) and the environment of the dojo. How do you figure which place is a good fit for your kids, how do you tell whether the pressure to compete is good or bad, and how do you select a place that is legit?

Fire away!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:06:19 AM by Macgomes »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Picking the right Dojo
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 02:53:20 PM »
First figure out what you want to get out of martial arts.

- Do you want your kid to be able to defend him/herself?
- Do you want your kid to win competitions?
- Do you want your kid to wear a gi for a few photos, get a few coloured belts, and then forget about the whole thing?
- Do you want your kid to learn discipline?
- Do you want your kid to gain confidence?
- Do you want your kid to learn humbleness?
- Do you want your kid to learn to break boards?
- Do you want your kid to learn kata/form/patterns?

There's little to no consistency between martial arts and instructors.  Every place is very different.  Each student is very different.  You need to find a match between what your expectations are and what the instructor is teaching.  Most gyms will let you sit in on a class or two before signing up to get a feel if the place is a good match.  Price can vary quite a bit depending on what you want.

Tell me what your goal is and I can try to point you in the right direction or give you tips on what to look for.

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 02:55:24 PM »
As someone who has extensive martial arts experience, I think you nailed it.  Focus on the value the dojo brings to your kids: discipline, skills development, perseverance, community, respect, etc.

But also, donít feel pressured to stay. Shop around. Every dojo is different and itís a combination of the teachers and the students.

Let me know if you have other specific questions. Iím happy to help.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »
Go to classes and watch! Bonus points if you can identify a kid who reminds you of yours and see how the teacher deals with him/her, and how s/he interacts with the other students.

If they don't let you watch, that's a serious big red flag.

The Aikido classes my kids took, on a good day there was so much focus in the room that you could feel it from the balcony where parents hung out and watched/read/whatever.  And enough discipline to be useful, and not enough to be weird and awkward. And genuine respect and support between the students, and the students and the teacher.