Author Topic: No time for an epidural last labour... mental/emotional prep for 2nd birth?  (Read 14318 times)

nora

• Stubble
Re: No time for an epidural last labour... mental/emotional prep for 2nd birth?
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2017, 09:00:30 PM »
If you are wanting an epidural, and expecting a quick labour, ask your ob about getting an epidural followed by induction. That would be a good way of having a controlled painless experience.

Jacana

• Stubble
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »
Congrats, and ouch! Similar experience here with my first, but I had a long painful back labor and the epidural wore off way too early. Ended up with a forceps delivery with 3rd-degree and 2nd-degree tearing, significant blood loss, insane pain, pp depression, inability to breastfeed, multiple procedures to try to fix everything because the tear hadn't closed by 3 months, horrible pelvic issues for well over a year postpartum... well you've been there and I am so sorry to hear it.

My second? C-section. At my request. I know that may not be the answer you want, but my OB said the second might be worse due to scar tissue (doesn't stretch) and possibly an even longer recovery, and I said nope, not happening. I could not go through that again. I had a new OB for my second because we moved, and I brought my OB medical record and said I want a C. Apparently, they discussed my case at a group meeting and all unanimously supported my decision. Had an uncomplicated birth, a much faster recovery (up and at it within a few days instead of months), a completely hidden scar that healed in no time flat, and no regrets. I was pretty much dancing around the house at 2 weeks pp because I felt so good and pain-free, compared to last time where I could barely walk at 4 months. She's about to turn a year old, and I feel back to pre-pregnancy normal already.

I know a lot of women don't want a c, and I respect that as it is intense and a very different experience. But for me it was the right decision. Have you discussed all of this with your OB or midwife and asked about likely outcomes based on your history? And if they recommend a c-section, at least think about it.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2017, 02:24:52 AM »
How are you doing, MrsWolfeRN?  Congrats on the birth of your baby!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
Thanks for checking on me!!! We are doing ok. Baby is breastfeeding well and is a pretty good sleeper for his age (up every three hours with one four hour stretch most nights). He is starting to have some real smiles now.

Physically I am recovering my strength but I am still having some light pink bleeding. I don't think I have any pelvic floor damage (no incontinence or anything at least), and my episiotomy is no longer painful. I had a right mediolateral to prevent 3rd/4th degree tears, which I am told takes longer to heal than a midline. I have been trying to do some light cardio but not push too hard, but it is difficult because I want the weight gone. I also think I have a mild diastasis recti so I am doing the Sahrmann core exercises every day.

My toddler is a bit of a handful. He is just bored and it is too cold to play outside and burn off energy. He tends  to act out when I am feeding the baby. Husband hasn't gone back to work yet because I don't think I can handle both of them during the evening hours. We have no relatives nearby but we are going to visit my mom for a week over Christmas.