Author Topic: Moving on from toddler bed  (Read 2559 times)

nsmustachemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Moving on from toddler bed
« on: April 01, 2019, 09:00:42 AM »
Hi! New member here, with a question about what to do after the toddler bed.  The end is near for my 4yo's toddler bed.  It's Ikea Gulliver crib, which then became a toddler bed.  It's been great, but he's pushing the limits of it (he can't really stretch out anymore) and I think the end is in sight.  He comes from a long line of tall people who don't fit comfortably in twin beds in their teen years.  Would you a) buy a twin bed, knowing that he will likely outgrow it within 8-10 years, or b) spend more for a full size bed and plan to keep it until he moves out  at 18?   We're leaning towards option (b), but if the bed will max out in 10 years anyway maybe we should just go with the cheaper option?   What have other mustachian parents done??  Thanks!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
Re: Moving on from toddler bed
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 10:26:44 AM »
A quick google search tells me that a twin is 75" long and a full is 75" so I'm not sure how buying a full mattress would help. There are extra long twins out there though, those are 80" long.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 10:36:52 AM »
A quick google search tells me that a twin is 75" long and a full is 75" so I'm not sure how buying a full mattress would help. There are extra long twins out there though, those are 80" long.
+1.  You'll need special sheets (but they're dirt cheap in stores late August and September after college kids leave), and comforters should work. 

nsmustachemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 10:39:18 AM »
The length is the same, but my tall husband (and fam) tell me they lie diagonally to make it 'longer'.   So have you all gone with a twin right up to college age?

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
I would go with the twin.  My 6'-3" brother never had a problem. 

nsmustachemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 05:01:35 PM »
Ok, thanks all!

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 03:02:38 AM »
6'8" person here.  Even as height runs in the family, you don't know what will really happen.  But there are other factors, too:  how large is his current room?  How large is his future room?  (either different room in the house, or different house)  What will he do for college?  etc.  A full size bed may be less optimal in some of these circumstances.

My advice would be not to over-think it.  He's little now, and will be thrilled with a "big boy bed."  Get the twin mattress, get it at a smart time.  But a used frame.  One tip:  don't get a footboard.  As was said before, bed lengths aren't different, and even "long" ones have limits.  My feet have hung off the bed for...3 decades.  I don't keep blankets on my feet, unless it's cold.  And the first thing I do in a hotel room is tear out the tucked-in sheets.  Otherwise, there is no scarring / deformity / noticeable consequence to it.

nsmustachemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 07:03:37 AM »
6'8" person here.  Even as height runs in the family, you don't know what will really happen.  But there are other factors, too:  how large is his current room?  How large is his future room?  (either different room in the house, or different house)  What will he do for college?  etc.  A full size bed may be less optimal in some of these circumstances.

My advice would be not to over-think it.  He's little now, and will be thrilled with a "big boy bed."  Get the twin mattress, get it at a smart time.  But a used frame.  One tip:  don't get a footboard.  As was said before, bed lengths aren't different, and even "long" ones have limits.  My feet have hung off the bed for...3 decades.  I don't keep blankets on my feet, unless it's cold.  And the first thing I do in a hotel room is tear out the tucked-in sheets.  Otherwise, there is no scarring / deformity / noticeable consequence to it.

Great points, thanks!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 09:23:10 AM »
Maybe less so for boys (I've been told they don't share beds at slumber parties as often?)- but I'll chime in and say I grew up with a full size bed, and LOVED it.  If there is room in the room for it; I'd go with that. I liked space to spread out. And as an adult, I'm only 5'0".   I took the bed away with me to college, and had my "big girl bed" until I got married...

Snowman99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2019, 02:27:31 AM »
We are in the same boat, and are happily taking an old twin bed located in grandma's basement.  Cost= $0.00.

I would search craigslist or go to salvation army for used twin bed options.

eco mom

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2019, 10:44:43 AM »
If kiddo's gonna potentially live in a dorm one day (with extra long twins), you could just go with a twin (extra long, if you're worried about it) and never replace it. Or go with whichever size bed you can find on craigslist/Buy Nothing for free/cheap, and not feel bad replacing it when he wants something different.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 06:28:53 PM »
We bought a nearly new twin bed from our neighbors & then found that our kid needed to have 1 of us sleep with him. We sold the twin bed & accepted a hand me down full size bed from my parents. This bed should work through his time at home & fits well in his bedroom. It's less to move in the long run if you stick with the full size mattress & your kid uses it throughout his time in your house. My son's dad is 6'3" & didn't get anything larger than a twin until he was 20. He opted to go with the larger size bed for our son so that we could comfortably lay with him when he's little & so that he can be comfortable and feel like he has enough space when he gets older.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:51:02 PM by Teachstache »

nsmustachemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2019, 06:51:17 PM »
That's a good point about climbing into bed with him.  Currently, either my husband or I will sit on the floor next to his bed and read with him for a while before bed, but it would be nice to be able to lie down next to him and do that.  The price difference is not huge, especially spread over the next 15 years; what we'd like to avoid is buying a twin now and then getting another bed in 10 years.

nsmustachemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »
We are in the same boat, and are happily taking an old twin bed located in grandma's basement.  Cost= $0.00.

Nice find!!  We're definitely into buying used one we know what we want.

nsmustachemom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2019, 07:16:20 PM »

Nice find!!  We're definitely into buying used one we know what we want.

*once*

FICurious

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2019, 05:26:56 AM »
We purchased full sized beds and furniture for both our kids when it was time to transition. It just seemed like a twin would be just another stepping stone. They have the space for the larger bed so why not just go for it and hopefully we don't have to mess with furniture until they move out.

Having a larger bed is also more convenient/comfortable when its family reading time, or there's a need for private one on one conversations.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2019, 06:32:08 AM »
That's a good point about climbing into bed with him.  Currently, either my husband or I will sit on the floor next to his bed and read with him for a while before bed, but it would be nice to be able to lie down next to him and do that.  The price difference is not huge, especially spread over the next 15 years; what we'd like to avoid is buying a twin now and then getting another bed in 10 years.
I don't think a mattress is expected to last more than 10 years anyway, so that wouldn't even factor into my decision.

My 8 year old daughter has a full size bed. As mentioned, it is great to have the extra space for story time before bed and it makes her feel more grown up. Also, the larger bed is nice to have when guests are in town. I would probably lean towards a queen size bed if the room is big enough.

MrsPB

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2019, 06:33:57 PM »
We are in the process right now of deciding what bed to get for our 3.5 yr old who is currently in a converted crib. Her 5.5 yr old sister has a double in her own room because it was our old guest bed and she went into that when the younger one took over the crib. It’s maybe ever so slightly big for the room but it made sense even though I was a tad jealous as I never had a double until I was 21! Plus the rooms have built in closets so they really only need a dresser and bedside table which will comfortably fit and still leave floor space for playing and toy totes.

We are thinking of getting a double for the 3.5 yr old too. Would make bedding easier as we can use same size sheets and such. Downside is reduced play area in bedroom and limits what we can really do with adding/changing furniture in future.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 06:37:24 PM by MrsPB »

Blueberries

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 07:27:45 AM »
We opted for full size mattresses and I would do it again for many of the reasons already listed.

I can't fathom them needing another mattress.  If they start to get a little worn, I imagine a topper would do the trick.  One thing to keep in mind is that most children will still be low weight (compared to an adult) for a large portion of use on that mattress.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 12:42:18 PM »
What can you get on sale?

We had planned to get bunk beds for the boys eventually (my kids are small) and lo and behold, one came up on Craigslist!

Alas, it was full on bottom and twin on top.  Didn't want that, but the price is right.

Kind of sucks to have 3 different sizes of sheets now for 3 different beds, but I do love the full size bed.  The little one gets it, there's room to snuggle and read.