Author Topic: Made a shape sorter out of a cardboard box  (Read 1469 times)

Irateplatypus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Made a shape sorter out of a cardboard box
« on: August 19, 2018, 11:41:27 PM »
This is a bit of a toot my horn post. But my LO has been trying to fit his toys into everything lately. I looked at him and was like I think you need a shape sorter. Then I went to purchase said shape sorter, I found one it was $35.

Fast forward a couple of days, I saw a box and was like I can make a shape sorter out of that. Low and behold 20 minutes later with a bit of rough cuttin, I have a shape sorter and my kid loves it.

What other toys have you made your kids?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: Made a shape sorter out of a cardboard box
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:47:44 PM »
That's really awesome, Irateplatypus! Smart :)    And by actions like this, your kid will see that (in future) he can just make stuff too!

My cheapest "make" is boredom ;)   I'm a big proponent of leaving a kid with plenty of time and space and lack so that s/he'll create their own Whatever. (Your child sounds very young, and I wouldn't have left him with scissors to make his own shape sorter, lol. I'm just contributing my answer to your question.)

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 06:32:01 PM »
Great job thinking outside (or in) the box!

If you can get your hands on a very large box, you can reinforce it with extra tape, cut out a door and windows with a box cutter and them let him decorate it with paints, markers and stickers.

You can make mobiles with cut out shapes and hang them on wire coat hangers - teaches balance, think early physics.

Very little kids can make, with help, terrariums out of glass Mason jars or old glass canisters.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 06:34:40 AM »
Ooh, we need to get a giant box for a cubby, what a great idea! (Just expanding on the box idea)

My son's favourite thing is sorting his sippy cups and matching lids. We like building temporary cubby houses from our couch cushions. I'm about to make him some musical instruments with empty plastic tubs, dry rice and beans and gluing the lid on.