Poll

Simple objective poll, do you think raising children in the modern world has gotten easier?

yes
22 (20.6%)
no
70 (65.4%)
I'm not a parent or I don't care or whatever
13 (12.1%)
other (write ins)
2 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 105

Voting closed: June 07, 2017, 05:57:28 PM

Author Topic: Is Modern Parenting Harder or Easier than it was for our Parents?  (Read 13550 times)

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
Re: Is Modern Parenting Harder or Easier than it was for our Parents?
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2017, 01:04:01 AM »
Captain Fantastic.  Awesome movie, but a little sad.  Our lives should not end up being sad at the end, especially when you are self sufficient and awesome like those kids in the movie, except then they realized that they were weird.  Which is why I enjoy it so much, that being weird is not the best way to live but gives you options.  Pretty much a foundational MMM object lesson, for anyone wanting to take a large step forward.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »
Captain Fantastic.  Awesome movie, but a little sad.  Our lives should not end up being sad at the end, especially when you are self sufficient and awesome like those kids in the movie, except then they realized that they were weird.  Which is why I enjoy it so much, that being weird is not the best way to live but gives you options.  Pretty much a foundational MMM object lesson, for anyone wanting to take a large step forward.

I'd say that "being yourself" (and being 100% comfortable with that) is the best way to live.  Many people will be "weird" when viewed that way. Some won't. Either is fine, as weird, or not, isn't the goal.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »

I'd say that "being yourself" (and being 100% comfortable with that) is the best way to live.  Many people will be "weird" when viewed that way. Some won't. Either is fine, as weird, or not, isn't the goal.

Ah, but were they 'being themselves' or being what their father (and/or Mother) wanted them to be :)  Weird probably isn't the best shorthand for it, but I'm not sure there was a word for what they were...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2017, 09:57:27 AM »
I wasn't talking about the kids in the movie, but people in general.

I would argue the kids in the movie weren't getting to be themselves--from the middle boy lashing out, to the oldest not feeling adjusted for society.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »
Something I really enjoyed in that movie was that some kids were happy with the set-up...and one was not. One blamed the dad for some big stuff, was holding resentment, was seeing his dad through this additional lens, so was less impressed, and dreamed of a different scenario.

I loved this for how it demonstrated the individual perspective, and explored the question of: What happens when 1/1 or 1/7 children are hurting in the parents' chosen lifestyle?

I was brokenhearted that the grandparents and SIL didn't find a way, together, to meet in the middle, concluding with separating the child (a frequent and shit move in our society, in my opinion; I prefer to see more support vs more separation).

I was thrilled at the end when they found a way to honour the dad's dream to raise strong, happy, healthy, resilient capable children while honouring the children's varying needs and keeping the family intact. It was still a huge compromise on the dad's part, and I admire him for it, for coming to terms with the bigger picture of living in this society -and how other people get to co-parent our kids whether we want them to or not- and prioritizing togetherness over his other preferences.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2017, 10:32:24 AM »
I agree with a lot of the comments here that parenting today has different challenges than when I was a child.

One major thing that comes to mind is how normal it is for both mother and father to work outside of the home.  When I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s, my parents both worked.  My mom got a lot of shit for "being away from her kids so much" as she was a practicing medical doctor. 

Contrast that with my experience, where my spouse and I both work.  No one bats an eye and I (I'm the mother) haven't been thrown any shade for not being a SAHM.