Author Topic: Inexpensive Idea for Kid Free Night (& also spouse free night)  (Read 2240 times)

mld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
A little background, we have a 2.5 year old and 1 year old. I work full-time so totally feel guilty needing one night a week without kiddoes but I'm with them pretty much every evening and we rarely have any sitters on weekends except the occasional day at the grandparents maybe once every 2 months.

Hubby has a sporting activity one night per week, for which he leaves right after bringing the kids home from daycare. Other evenings though, we try to juggle the kids and moving some projects forward but most of them involve rather physical work (building shed/garage) and we are at a stage where hubby is most skilled to do the work so after diner I often end up on kid duty (putting the 2 year old to bed takes forever) so that he can get a bit of project work done.

So yeah, overall I feel drained with that whole routine and realize I could benefit from a kid-free night, even if it means our projects get delayed a bit.

Tricky things are :
  • I'm more introverted/grown away from my circle of friends so a friend night every week is not realistic
  • I don't want to add expensive activity to our budget (hubby's activity doesn't cost anything except the occasional beer when hanging out with his friends after).
  • since the kiddoes get clingy with Mom, ideally need to not eat at home that evening and be completely out of the house, or else I get wrapped into helping out with the kids or allowing hubby to tend to our projects

I've come up with a few things but could seriously use some ideas.
Thanks!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
Re: Inexpensive Idea for Kid Free Night (& also spouse free night)
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »
Take a sandwich to the park
Check out activities at your local library
Find a once a week volunteer opportunity
Some upscale grocery stores provide free cooking classes

Of course, it would be easier if we knew what you actually enjoy.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 07:15:31 PM »
Go to a coffee shop and doodle.
Go for a long walk or a run.
Join a meetup group for an activity you like.
Find a summer concert series.
Go to author talks at your local library.

mld

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:25:43 PM »
Of course, it would be easier if we knew what you actually enjoy.

Good point!

Here are a few things that come to mind
  • I'm trying to get back in shape so some type of sports would be good (but no high impact stuff due to an injury I'm still healing), I used to love playing hockey but it's expensive, kickboxing but same a bit expensive
  • I always have a few freelancing projects I would love to work on but lack of time to do so
  • I haven't read a novel since before kids but do enjoy that lol
  • Love watching comedy shows/ improv - would be good activity with friends if I find not too expensive events
  • Pre kid I used to enjoy bringing my dog to agility classes but that is expensive and far away, but yeah could still have some kind of dog activity in there

Thanks, just listing these gives me a few extra ideas

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 07:36:51 PM »
  • I haven't read a novel since before kids but do enjoy that lol
Go to a coffeeshop and chill out with a nice hot cuppa and a novel. Here are three I just finished that I enjoyed and would recommend to just about anyone - Cloud Atlas, Lexicon, and Turn of Mind. I get my reading in during naps because I'm stuck with the baby on my boob or else she doesn't sleep, so I've gotten caught up on a lot of books!

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 12:50:55 PM »
Gotta rekindle those friendships. Don't let them die. We need them eventually. I'm an introvert, so I understand, but I always feel good after I hang out with a friend. I do one on one dates. HATE group nights. Call a friend and invite for a walk or a beer.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 03:24:01 PM »
My once a week night out is when I tutor immigrants who are learning English.
Though once baby is old enough to play, I'll bring her to play with their kids.

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 03:32:02 PM »
It would be nice for hubby to TAKE THE KIDS OUT of the house one night a week (more or less depending on projects and workload).

Library is always a good option, the mall near us has a play area that is good for 1 year and 2 year olds (McDonalds play place will be good when they are 2-5 year olds).  Going to a park to play may work in the near future...  and I don't see anything wrong with putting the kids on the couch with some snacks and turning on a Disney movie to keep them entertained for a while!

Then you could do whatever the hell you want and unwind at home those evenings, or get things done/go out.   

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 03:39:12 PM »
Around me, there are multiple iterations of free exercise classes in public places (the ones I like are yoga on the beach and yoga in the park).  Weekday evenings are nice, as are weekend mornings.  I like to make myself a big bottle of iced tea with lemon in an insulated glass, take a nice leisurely walk to the park or beach, and then do a yoga class.  If you want it to be longer than that, you could bring a book for before/after class.

I'm in L.A., so it's admittedly pretty easy here, but I have lots of options for free or very inexpensive open mic nights to watch wannabe comedians work on their set lists.  It's not free, because they're usually in bars and it's kind of rude not to buy at least one drink, but you can keep it pretty cheap by nursing a light beer for an hour or two.