Author Topic: How much per kid for xmas?  (Read 8059 times)

drudgep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How much per kid for xmas?
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:37:54 PM »
How much do you all spend per kid for xmas? This year I have a 3 year old and we spend around $200 for everything... some might go towards a birthday.

Just wanted to know dollar amount- are we way overdoing it? Or are we right in line? Our kid doesn't get much throughout the year- so this is their opportunity for new things.

What does everyone else do?

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How much per kid for xmas?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:14:08 PM »
This year I'm spending $38, but (1) my kid is only 2, (2) we travel 3000 miles to see our parents who give him lots of presents, and (3) his birthday is right after Christmas. Though the $38 will probably cover both birthday and Christmas. In contrast, I (well, my office, for which I was an organizer) spent $118 on "adopting" a child this Christmas. I'm potentially a terrible mom.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:31:18 PM »
I think it would depend on the kids' age and how much income the parent(s) make.

I'm 48, retired, with three kids.  This year I am planning on spending about 2% of my total annual spending on Christmas gifts for my kids.  I've no idea if that's considered a lot or a little by others.

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:43:24 PM »
We are also retired and our Christmas budget for 2 kids and eight others is also 2%. It has been the same dollar amount for at least 10 years though. Two percent seemed high till I did the actual math and it’s still 1300 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:54:05 PM »
This year, ~50$ per kid.  Mine are 7 and 10.

They want and need NOTHING and get gifts from other relatives.  If we didn't have lots of gifts from relatives I would probably spend ~100-200 per kid.

I just texted my MIL and begged her to just take the kids to a movie because I don't want more shit in my house.

drudgep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »
This year, ~50$ per kid.  Mine are 7 and 10.

They want and need NOTHING and get gifts from other relatives.  If we didn't have lots of gifts from relatives I would probably spend ~100-200 per kid.

I just texted my MIL and begged her to just take the kids to a movie because I don't want more shit in my house.

LOL!

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:34:39 PM »
Five kids ages almost 2 to 9. They're each getting a new bean big chair from Santa (about $50 each) then one other present that will have a few small things like a book and one other item. Probably around $20-25 each. Plus a few small items and candy in their stockings totaling about $5 each. So grand total maybe $75 per child. In years past it's generally been 2-3 presents max, including any larger shared presents like a new wagon or an easel.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:21:35 PM »
Considering this is the first Christmas I have as a dad, I've been thinking about this as well.  I took a look around the toy section and wondered what we should get.  Right now it's looking like family will send small gifts and clothes and I'll be getting a play set ($80) toy truck ($25) and doll ($20) and some smaller toys.  I might buy a nice rocking horse too but I don't think I can pull the trigger on that without really thinking about it.  This was the first year I bought a live tree and didn't realize they were in the $50 range. 

I seem to remember getting a lot when I was a kid which is a good reason not to cheap out about it.  It's not just how much to spend but item count as well.  How many from the parents and how many from Santa?  When she's old enough to ask for specific things I imagine I'll have a better calibrated level of knowing what to get.

plainjane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 01:48:51 AM »
Considering this is the first Christmas I have as a dad, I've been thinking about this as well.  I took a look around the toy section and wondered what we should get.  Right now it's looking like family will send small gifts and clothes and I'll be getting a play set ($80) toy truck ($25) and doll ($20) and some smaller toys.  I might buy a nice rocking horse too but I don't think I can pull the trigger on that without really thinking about it.  This was the first year I bought a live tree and didn't realize they were in the $50 range. 

I seem to remember getting a lot when I was a kid which is a good reason not to cheap out about it.  It's not just how much to spend but item count as well.  How many from the parents and how many from Santa?  When she's old enough to ask for specific things I imagine I'll have a better calibrated level of knowing what to get.

if the child is too young to ask for specific things, then this feels like a lot of stuff. Why are you getting a mix of 'some smaller toys' when family is already sending small gifts? Honestly, I see my nieces and nephews at Christmas, and they start to glaze over pretty quickly when it gets to more than opening 3-4 gifts. Especially since you are basically taking away any gift they are interested in to force them to open yet another gift and react appropriately to that one. After a few years of that with multiple kids, we dropped back the number of gifts substantially and that works much better all around.

I really don't get the comment about giving a bunch because you remember receiving a bunch. What kind of experience are you looking for here? A couple of toys they love? or a sense of neverending volume? If you are here, perhaps the latter is more in keeping with your values?

As for the Santa vs. parents split, my family says Santa does the stocking plus one other thing.

TrMama

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
... they start to glaze over pretty quickly when it gets to more than opening 3-4 gifts. Especially since you are basically taking away any gift they are interested in to force them to open yet another gift and react appropriately to that one. After a few years of that with multiple kids, we dropped back the number of gifts substantially and that works much better all around.

This is my barometer. I don't worry so much about the money (up to a certain point). However, after a couple of Christmases where my MIL bought the kids so much stuff they were practically in tears opening it all, I scaled back and forced all the grandparents to do the same. Christmas morning should be fun, not tearful.

For little kids, 3-4 gifts really is the max they can handle. When my kids were smaller I spent about $50 combined on their gifts.

dphngbr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »
Kids are 1, 4, and 6.  We spend about $50/child, though we often end up with one big gift for all the kids and then a few smaller age-appropriate ones for each. 

Like many others, we have grandparents, godparents, and aunts/uncles that buy way too much stuff for them as it is, so I try to focus on other aspects of the season/holiday (making gingerbread houses, decorating the tree/house, planning Christmas dinner, seeing new movies, going to some performances/concerts, etc.) 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
Kid is not quite 1.

We are begging grandparents and aunts to not send anything.  It doesn't seem to be working.
We won't buy her anything this year.

We send all the nieces and nephews (there are 8) $50 for the 529 and a $10 bill for them to keep, unless a specific gift was asked for.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 01:33:37 PM »
My kids are 8-12. This year, we announced a moratorium on new toys. They are each getting a gift card to their favorite restaurant (we cut back on eating out big time a few months ago, and they miss it) plus a gift card for an activity that they've been wanting to do (roller skating  / trampoline park / movies), plus a gift under $10 they can unwrap.  ~ $75 per kid.

When they were under 3-5, I tended to buy a bigger present - a kiddie table, a little slide, etc - plus a few books and a few clothes.  [Under 3, I didn't spend a lot at all.]

As they got bigger, they'd each get 1 Lego set, 2 books, and another present up to ~$50.   Plus, on the years they are here Christmas morning and not with their other parents, a present from Santa.

RetirementDreaming

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 01:46:06 PM »
Up to $200 per kid (ages 11 and 9).  This includes gifts from parents and Santa/stocking stuff.  They don't have grandparents (1 alive but no gift).  My siblings and I don't buy for nieces and nephews. 

Before 9 it as $100 per kid.   Now I include new dresses, socks, sweatshirt, etc as gifts so the budget is closer to $200 each.

DK82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 07:07:50 PM »
We have two kids - a three year old and one under one year.  We're spending less than one tenth of one percent of our combined annual income.  Everything is relative but I don't see the point in spend much money on a baby who is perfectly content to crawl around and chew on his older brother's every toy. 

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 06:45:58 AM »
We have a 2.5 year old.  We got some stuff at a consignment sale, less than $50 for sure. 

Like other folks, she'll get a bunch of stuff from grandparents (although hopefully not TOO much -- we've been pretty firm re: nothing electronic, no plastic crap, etc. and they've been pretty understanding).  She's also got plenty of stuff, and tends to use the same things -- books, doll house, balls, blocks, "imaginative play" with random objects.

My bet for her favorite gift is a bit of a combo -- she really likes playing doctor (she has a little doctor's kit in an old pencil case w/ some plastic syringes, a squeeze bulb, etc.).  I told my sister (a physical therapist) and she's getting her some real stuff - stethoscope, reflex hammer, etc.  I might also buy a couple of things on ebay (ie an ENT penlight) to fill it out.  To go with that (in addition to playing with people / dolls) one of our consignment sale finds is this doll: https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/little-patient

BAM

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 07:33:24 AM »
Kids are ages 2, 4, 8, 10, 12, 15, 16, 20 and 21.
This year we'll spend about $50 per child. That's one gift in the $20-40 range and some stocking stuffers.
For each other, they are doing a combo of making stuff, giving stuff to younger siblings that they are done with and the younger really wants and some inexpensive buying.
From family: one set of grandparent's gets them an Amazon gift card, the other gives cash to olders/present to two youngers (I get a say in the present so can guide them to something truly needed/wanted). From aunts/uncles a family gift from one set which is usually consumable, a gift card from another set, nothing from the others.

We've finally cleared out all the stuff/toys/etc we no longer want and need so really don't want a lot of presents. And, yes, all my children agree!

EmFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 11:49:46 AM »
This year we set a budget of $150 for all three kids. They are 1, 4, and 6. I decided to do one to two small individual gifts and a few share items.

I like to include some sort of educational gift in there so we chose the snap circuits lights kit in hopes that our four and six year old girls will enjoy it. Then a little barn because my four year old is obsessed with cows and hers need a home. That was purchased for $3 at a second hand toy sale! They are also all into Paw Patrol so each will be getting one of the small pup trucks. Then there will be a few books to share and some stocking stuffers like art supplies/candy. The baby is so little and doesn't need anything so the amount I spent on him was tiny. His items also came from the second hand sale. The girls have more distinct interests so I was OK allocating more to their gifts.

I've decided with extended family that one set of grandparents can give a share gift. This year it is a Paw Patrol item to go with their trucks. Then the other set can give an experience. Money toward a show (Paw Patrol Live, of course) and the baby is getting money toward a parent and me music class. Due to a divorce and re-marriage, my kids have three sets of grandparents. The third set usually gives clothing or $ toward college funds.  If anyone else like aunts/uncles want to give something, I ask them to please contribute to college funds. This was not understood at first, but now they seem to get it. There was definitely a learning curve, which is why my four year old has fifteen cows (which are all very loved).

I am really trying to cut down on the amount of clutter that comes into the house. It can be overwhelming with three children. As they get older, I plan to move more toward experiences in general and less toward stuff. Unless they really need something. My husband would go nuts on the gifts if he could, but we decided I would control the budget and he could pick out some things ;)

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 12:36:54 PM »
This year we set a budget of $150 for all three kids. They are 1, 4, and 6. I decided to do one to two small individual gifts and a few share items.

I like to include some sort of educational gift in there so we chose the snap circuits lights kit in hopes that our four and six year old girls will enjoy it. Then a little barn because my four year old is obsessed with cows and hers need a home. That was purchased for $3 at a second hand toy sale! They are also all into Paw Patrol so each will be getting one of the small pup trucks. Then there will be a few books to share and some stocking stuffers like art supplies/candy. The baby is so little and doesn't need anything so the amount I spent on him was tiny. His items also came from the second hand sale. The girls have more distinct interests so I was OK allocating more to their gifts.

I've decided with extended family that one set of grandparents can give a share gift. This year it is a Paw Patrol item to go with their trucks. Then the other set can give an experience. Money toward a show (Paw Patrol Live, of course) and the baby is getting money toward a parent and me music class. Due to a divorce and re-marriage, my kids have three sets of grandparents. The third set usually gives clothing or $ toward college funds.  If anyone else like aunts/uncles want to give something, I ask them to please contribute to college funds. This was not understood at first, but now they seem to get it. There was definitely a learning curve, which is why my four year old has fifteen cows (which are all very loved).

I am really trying to cut down on the amount of clutter that comes into the house. It can be overwhelming with three children. As they get older, I plan to move more toward experiences in general and less toward stuff. Unless they really need something. My husband would go nuts on the gifts if he could, but we decided I would control the budget and he could pick out some things ;)

We got Snap Circuits for my oldest son (I think he was 8 at the time) and he really enjoyed it. However, after a couple of weeks he mostly just built random things out of it instead of trying to create actual circuits or follow the instructions. I thought it was a high-quality product and maybe if I have some free time over the holidays I can get him interested in it again and maybe learn something this time.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 02:30:44 PM »
I think it would depend on the kids' age and how much income the parent(s) make.

I'm 48, retired, with three kids.  This year I am planning on spending about 2% of my total annual spending on Christmas gifts for my kids.  I've no idea if that's considered a lot or a little by others.
Why would any mustachian think the appropriate amount should be related to the parent's income (rather than the family's annual spending)?

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »

Why would any mustachian think the appropriate amount should be related to the parent's income (rather than the family's annual spending)?

Yeah, my first paragraph was sloppy wording.  Mea culpa.

You'll notice in my second paragraph I relate it to annual spending.  I tend to think percentages of annual spending are better guidelines than actual dollar figures.  Also I tend to like to balance helping people with keeping my personal financial situation private and out of the conversation focus.

As more color around my data point, I have three kids 21, 17, 15, and the 2% is on the high side of what I will spend and that includes everything - gifts, Christmas tree, stocking stuffers, etc.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 07:37:51 PM »

We got Snap Circuits for my oldest son (I think he was 8 at the time) and he really enjoyed it. However, after a couple of weeks he mostly just built random things out of it instead of trying to create actual circuits or follow the instructions. I thought it was a high-quality product and maybe if I have some free time over the holidays I can get him interested in it again and maybe learn something this time.

It depends on the kid. My 10 year old has literally every kit and is obsessed with them, and invents his own circuits. We truly think he will be an electrician or electrical engineer. My 7 year old has her own kit and couldn't care less. It's just not her thing.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 08:51:35 PM »
3yo, twins are 5. We will spend $50-80 each. Usually a big present, then stocking stuffers of candy and stuff. However, my MIL keeps buying things for them and keeps everything, unbeknownst to them , in a cloast. She said we can grab whatever we want. Looks like this year it will be $0. For the win!

BJacks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2017, 01:07:16 PM »
I spent $65 on my four year old and $43 on my 2 year old - each of them got two toys. I have spent another $100 on things like new toothbrushes, a mirror, blankets, toothpaste, cereal, gloves, hat, applesauce etc. Things that I would have been buying anyway but now they get to unwrap it. For nieces and nephew I budget $30 apiece. I ended up spending $40 on the oldest though.

chouchouu

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 04:11:21 AM »
We don't really have a budget, it's more about what I think is appropriate.  They get one present from santa and one from us plus stocking. Occasionally there is an extra gift. My kids are five now (twins) as an idea this is the list of presents they've received each Christmas. 

Ten months old- toy blocks, fancy vegetable dye made in Germany. About 50 euros. Toy duck on a stick, the legs flap as you push it, maybe 15 euros. No extra present this year as babies wouldn't know.

1 year old- brio train set and some toddler musical instruments (xylophone,  tambourine etc) not sure how much I spent, the train set was ridiculously cheap, under 30-one of those Groupon deals. They only got the two presents as again toddlers wouldn't understand the concept of santa. I probably spent around 50/60 this year.

2 years old. Dolls house, playmobil fire truck (aldi has awesome gifts! ) I think there was something else this year but I can't remember. 

3 years old -Anna and elsa dolls, elsa lego castle and ariel lego castle. They also got lego advent calendars. I spent around $180 this year on both of them. I shouldn't have bought them regular lego this early as they mostly just took it apart and insisted I put it together again. The lego castles are really neat though and they literally play with them for hours each day now at 5. The lego advent calendars are expensive but I buy them post Christmas,  they don't know or care they're getting the previous years calendar.

4- cash register, doll prams, one twin got a tea set and the other got a baby princess tiana doll. Cash register was around 50 euros (wooden one I bought in a classic European toy shop) the prams were 20 dollars each, tea set was 10 and the darn tiana doll ended up being around 80 as they don't sell them in Australia so I had to order from overseas. They had some nice stuff in their stockings too, little cooking aprons, spoons and whisks, Schleich animals, plus some good quality art supplies. So around 250/300 for altogether.

5 (this year) I bought the lego hospital $108 and ski lift $60 from santa,  from us they will receive a children's cook book and an art book. Their stockings have underwear,  bubbles, electric tooth brush, orange, mini puzzle, slinky, stationary and a drawing book.

As you can see some of their presents can be expensive and sometimes cheap.  I  don't think the value amount matters, my daughter got just as much joy from her $10 aldi children's tea set as her sister did from her $80 tiana doll. Perhaps more, that kid is obsessed with entertaining. I give them the one gift I know they really want and so far they haven't been expensive (it was me who decided to buy the lego castles at three years old-they just wanted the dolls that were $30 for the two) I find setting a dollar amount as useless. If your child only wants a $10 toy are you purposefully going to spend an extra $140 if you budgeted $150? Seems crazy and consumerist to me.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 04:28:11 AM »
Our boys are 8 and 5. We give three Santa gifts to each boy plus stockings of smaller goodies. There is one "family gift" from Santa (this year t is a new camping tent). And one gift from mom and dad, which is almost always a book and jammies or sweatshirt.
We try to be mindful of our spending, but we don't really have a targeted budget. I would rather spend more and get them something they really want, then smaller cheaper things that won't get played with. Video games for example are $50-$60. I want him to get a video game he wants, but also a new scooter for outside, and a kind of pricy board game. So that's why there is no real budget.
Before the age of 3 we put a couple small things under the tree- trucks or wood block set and that was it.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 09:09:54 AM »
One of my friends has a BF who did a "family gift" one year but it was some electronic thing he wanted for himself. He got nothing for her.  I believe that Family Gifts should be something the entire family really wants and can use.

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 07:11:38 PM »
We typically have a budget of $50 per kid (including stocking stuffers), $20 for each to pick out a gift for the other, and a $25 shared gift (board game, movie, experience of some sort). So overall $165 budget.

This year we expanded our budget a bit as older DS is getting a new backpack so he can pass down his old one to little DS that will start school in the fall. We also picked up a tablet for them to share as they enjoy listening to music and older DS enjoys learning some coding and this is an easier method for us to monitor.

We purposefully choose gifts as: something you want, something to wear, something to read, and something to share. This helps direct our gift giving and limits the toys they get from Mom and Dad.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2017, 04:50:10 AM »
Our changes year to year depending on our cash bask rewards from our Citi card. 1% when you buy 1% when you pay your bills which we do every month and we take it out the first week in November so it is a full year. This year was 1200$ Then we get points through our Health Care for walking etc.. and get 25$ gift cards through Amazon or target . This year we got 16 so another 400$.
We have 4 kids/ 2 in college so we take the 1600$ subtract the money we need to spend on the few larger family gift swaps we have to do so this year roughly 100$ Leaves us 1500$ then The DW and I buy each other things basically to open on Xmas that we need because we really dont clothes shops and stuff so it was about 150$ each so that knocked it down to 1200$ so we spent 400$ per kid this year. Last year it was less. Next year again will depend on what we earn. Hopefully less because then we spent less.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 05:08:31 AM »
Don’t have kids but I love the idea some parents mentioned of having multiple special experiences the kids look forward to instead of a lot of gifts. I freaking loved opening presents as a kid and I remember how disappointing it felt on Christmas morning after there was nothing left to open. I love the idea of making presents just a very small part of the excitement...probably good for the kids’ future financial choices to not be associating getting stuff with the epitome of joy, too 😉

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 06:01:00 AM »
Each kid got three gifts from us.  I spent $63 on the 9 month old and $45 on the two year old.

It still feels like too much.  They each got 2 gifts from their godmother, and 1 each from DW’s brother, and who knows how much from both sets of grandparents.  I think next year I’ll do experiences instead of things.

clairebonk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Wear a mask
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2017, 09:22:44 PM »
$0. They are lucky, privileged, white, spoiled middle-class kids who get plenty of presents & experiences from family the entire year. I send money to charities doing work overseas every December instead. Refugee camps in the middle east. Rural schools in Guatemala.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
One of my friends has a BF who did a "family gift" one year but it was some electronic thing he wanted for himself. He got nothing for her.  I believe that Family Gifts should be something the entire family really wants and can use.

Was the electronic thing something the kids wanted too though?

IMO, family gifts rarely are things the parents really want (though the tent mentioned sounds great).

south of 61

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 11:12:03 AM »
I spent $33 on my 5 year old - she's getting

Skates ($15) (new to her)
An alarm clock - again new to her ($3)
PJs ($5)
Toothpaste ($1)
A sticker sheet ($1) and
A book set (new to her) $8.

My buget was $30, but then last week she said she really wanted an alarm clock - and I saw one for $3 on our local buy and sell - it's perfect so I grabbed that for her too.

Despite our protests she gets presents from grandparents / aunts / uncles / family friends. It's crazy - we do our best to moderate it. This year I finally convinced my folks to send $ not gifts - with the money we got her a lego set ($40), paid for next semester's swim lessons ($55) and put the rest ($105) into her RESP.

Now if only I could do the same with my spouse's parents...

Christmas is such a battle (not helped by the fact that her birthday is in November)

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 04:37:57 PM »
Our kids gift a couple of small(ish) gifts from relatives, but only two people buy them gifts, outside of us. Which, is fabulous.

We spend around $125/kid. For this year, we got them a used foosball table for the house. We couldn't exactly hide it due to size, and got an amazing deal on it. Many, many games have already been played. So, that was $100 each. For the rest, they each are getting a new water bottle for soccer practices, a book, & a ball. I also got $15 movie gift cards for each of them, earned through hotel rewards, so technically free.

We live in an area where kids get $2500/gifts. That's not how we roll. We'd rather go on vacation together, spend time doing a fun activity, etc. It's really hard to resist the siren song of Keeping Up With the Joneses, especially as it relates to classmate gifts. It's an ongoing battle, but the rule is that the kids have to earn whatever they spend on friends. They can: earn a bunch & spend it on one friend, divide it up among lots of friends, earn nothing & spend nothing. . .it's totally their choice. This year, my son has one great friend, and they each spent about $100 on each other. I think it's nuts, personally, but it was money he'd earned throughout the year, so we talked through the decision, and I assisted him in at least thinking through the gift options.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
Our kids gift a couple of small(ish) gifts from relatives, but only two people buy them gifts, outside of us. Which, is fabulous.

We spend around $125/kid. For this year, we got them a used foosball table for the house. We couldn't exactly hide it due to size, and got an amazing deal on it. Many, many games have already been played. So, that was $100 each. For the rest, they each are getting a new water bottle for soccer practices, a book, & a ball. I also got $15 movie gift cards for each of them, earned through hotel rewards, so technically free.

We live in an area where kids get $2500/gifts. That's not how we roll. We'd rather go on vacation together, spend time doing a fun activity, etc. It's really hard to resist the siren song of Keeping Up With the Joneses, especially as it relates to classmate gifts. It's an ongoing battle, but the rule is that the kids have to earn whatever they spend on friends. They can: earn a bunch & spend it on one friend, divide it up among lots of friends, earn nothing & spend nothing. . .it's totally their choice. This year, my son has one great friend, and they each spent about $100 on each other. I think it's nuts, personally, but it was money he'd earned throughout the year, so we talked through the decision, and I assisted him in at least thinking through the gift options.

Sounds like our neighborhoods are similar. I was too embarrassed to post what I spent on my kids here this year, and it is scaled back a lot from the past couple years. Still, it's in the $150-$350 per kid range which is a lot here on MMM (middle kid is high this year because of a lego programming set that my husband really wanted to get him after I'd finished shopping...). But, it will be light compared to the neighborhood, sadly; ugh the consumerism. And, it does include some "needs" like new shoes, socks, hairbrush for daughter.

south of 61

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »

Sounds like our neighborhoods are similar. I was too embarrassed to post what I spent on my kids here this year, and it is scaled back a lot from the past couple years. Still, it's in the $150-$350 per kid range which is a lot here on MMM (middle kid is high this year because of a lego programming set that my husband really wanted to get him after I'd finished shopping...). But, it will be light compared to the neighborhood, sadly; ugh the consumerism. And, it does include some "needs" like new shoes, socks, hairbrush for daughter.

It's awful isn't - I told a colleague what I had for my kid (see post up thread) and she took it upon herself to tell our entire office - who we're all shocked /offended / outraged - someone even *joked* about reporting me to child welfare services. I was actually really upset by it. This is a kid who wants for nothing (she's done ballet / yoga / swimming this year) and all these people were so judgy of our family and our choices (having said that a number of them are still slaving away in their 60s - can't wait to retire before they do!) when all they are doing is buying junk on credit cards

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2017, 07:53:56 PM »

It's awful isn't - I told a colleague what I had for my kid (see post up thread) and she took it upon herself to tell our entire office - who we're all shocked /offended / outraged - someone even *joked* about reporting me to child welfare services. I was actually really upset by it. This is a kid who wants for nothing (she's done ballet / yoga / swimming this year) and all these people were so judgy of our family and our choices (having said that a number of them are still slaving away in their 60s - can't wait to retire before they do!) when all they are doing is buying junk on credit cards

In our neighborhood, most people are quite well off, so they are legitimately wealthy. We just prioritize saving now, so we can make different choices later. We're also the only people on our street who don't have a cleaning person, a yard person, & a pool  maintenance person & get a lot of questions about it. My husband also works on our cars on weekends (replacing breaks, changing the oil, washing the cars, etc). There are really comical responses. 

One thing that really helps me keep me eye on the prize with regard to not overspending - I set a specific Christmas budget. in the past, if I got things on a great deal or on sale, I'd just keep shopping & adding to the number of gifts. Now I have another goal. For every $1 that I don't spend, I donate it to a local food bank. My company matches, which can make even a small donation really motivating. For me, I do shop & try to get the best bargain, & use deals, etc. But, at the end of the holiday season, I tally everything up & make a donation. They usually range from $100-250, but off of an already reasonable budget, it makes me feel good, & keeps the exuberance in check. This year, I had lots of gift cards (travel rewards), so Christmas was super under budget. Big food bank donation coming up!

mommykerrie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2017, 09:55:17 PM »
We have five kids and this year is about $150 per kid on 4 gifts each. Then stocking stuff as well. I work from home doing various hustles in the morning before they wake to homeschool, so I earn all the income for Christmas and any travel we do. I know people with big families who spend way more than that somehow. And some who spend way less (thrift stores, etc.). It takes too much of my time away from the kids to go shopping and hunting for deals so I do it all online for free shipping. We live in the country now so I'm saving a lot on gas as well. I split an Amazon Prime membership with my mom so we get free 2-day shipping on many things and also lots of other benefits like movies/shows the kids can watch, which cuts down on our movies out. I think I went off on a tangent there ;-) Oh, but my mom gets them something like a fancy zoo membership to share throughout the year, which rocks. This year my dad is getting them tablets, which will be nice for homeschooling and they'll be put up in our room at night and also regulated during the day so they don't turn into zombies!!!!

middo

• Handlebar Stache
  • Learning.
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 09:58:19 PM »
Three kids, about $100 each, but most of that will be new bikinis for the young women, and socks and jocks for the young man.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2017, 06:11:37 AM »
I haven't seen this mentioned yet - but one of the biggest gifts we give our kids is a deposit every birthday and Christmas into their 529.

As for presents - under $100 for each.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2017, 07:34:25 AM »

I said $0, but I have an 8-month old.   I think a lot of the numbers in this thread are extraordinarily low compared to what I see non-mustachian families spend.  I mean, a hoverboard, or instance, is about $200.  That's a pretty common Christmas gift- because it isn't something you just buy for a non-occasion. So even if they only get one thing (and that's usually rare, as most people buy school clothes, which a growing kid likely needs anyway- and give them as a gift; so that adds to the total.)  Then add in their share of a family gift like a ping-pong table or xbox, etc. It adds up.

I don't think it would be uncommon for some of the older kids in our neighborhood to get $500+ worth of gifts from the parents; plus the ones from all the relatives.