Author Topic: Filling and quick kid breakfasts  (Read 6221 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Filling and quick kid breakfasts
« on: November 25, 2017, 10:05:58 AM »
My older daughter (9) has (fortunately or unfortunately) inherited my fast metabolism.  She is constantly hungry and eats a lot.  Problem is that her school does not allow kids to bring food from home (this is standard at public school here in Italy) and portions are tiny and they can't get seconds.  They also often serve things that she does not like - she's not fussy - but does not like eggplant, for example and a recent menu was all eggplant dishes.  Another example was that they recently served them just mushed pumpkin with stale bread soaked in it.  Sounds really yucky.  Anyway I don't want to complain as I like the school lunch thing here and I like the fact that they serve the kids a variety of foods.  But the poor girl is tall and skinny and constantly starving. 

Since she can't bring food from home to school, I decided that the only way to stave off the hunger pangs would be a decent breakfast.  Luckily she likes oatmeal so we do that when we have the time.  But the mornings are always a huge rush so it's usually just cereal or toast and out the door.  I thought maybe we could boil some eggs ahead of time to eat quickly in the AM or I could try to make quick scrambled eggs. Maybe I'll wake her up a bit earlier so she has time for a third slice of toast with PB.  Any other quick, filling kid friendly breakfasts you all can recommend?

mousebandit

• Bristles
Re: Filling and quick kid breakfasts
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 11:58:45 AM »
Two quick oatmeal options, are, first overnight oats.  Basically you're mixing them up the night before with cold ingredients, let sit in the fridge all night, eat cold or microwaved in the morning.

Our quick morning prep is to put regular old-fashioned oats dry into a serving bowl, add sugar, and add boiling water in amount just scant of amount of oats.  We usually do 1/2c oats, 2t sugar, scant 1/2c boiling water.  Stir and let sit for a minute.  Add raisins, dried strawberries, frozen blueberries, etc.  we also add a generous pour of heavy cream for creaminess and fat to keep them full.  My 9-yr old can do this by herself in under 5 min. One bowl, no pot to wash. 

BAM

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 12:13:16 PM »
Steel cut oats cook up overnight in the crockpot.

Make and freeze breakfast burritos - microwave or heat in oven in the morning. We usually put sausage or bacon, eggs, potatoes in the tortilla. Wrap in foil. Freeze.

Homemade granola. We make ours with lots of nuts (pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, almonds).

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 01:58:18 PM »
You could make a quiche or egg casserole for the week and heat up a portion each morning. We do homemade granola that we eat with milk like cereal.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 02:12:51 PM »
+1 overnight oatmeal. This can be very filling if made with whole milk yogurt and whole milk. My kids love it. I take homemade yogurt and mix in a little jam, then stir in about a half cup of old-fashioned oats and some milk until it looks quite soupy. The oats absorb moisture in the fridge overnight.

Hard boiled eggs are good. She can eat them while her PB toast is cooking :-).

I really like this easy quiche and slices of it freeze well for AM reheating:
https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/quiche-with-a-super-easy-whole-wheat-crust/

Oh, another idea: When I was a kid I often breakfasted on dinner leftovers! Which at my house was Hamburger Helper because, well, I was growing up in the 90s in America and my parents worked full-time. These might be more filling than typical breakfast foods.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 02:22:21 PM »
Toast with peanut butter. PB is very filling

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 04:21:54 PM »
Cook things (pancakes, etc) ahead of time so they just be quickly reheated.

Also, work on making mornings less of a rush. Whatever the pain points are there, try to address them. Picking out clothes? Do that before bed. Don't want to get up? Not going to sleep early enough. Long shower? Do it before bed. Will it fix the morning rush entirely? No, but it can help.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 05:21:12 PM »
Breakfast quiches can be made ahead of time & there's lots of varieties (in case she's the type of kid who gets bored). Super quick to heat up & most people report that protein rich foods keep them full for longer.
https://www.willcookforfriends.com/2014/04/crustless-mini-quiche-single-serving-breakfast-muffins.html

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 07:20:43 PM »
If you google the words "eggs muffin tin," you'll get a bunch of recipes for quiche-like (etc.) egg dishes that can be baked in small portions and kept in the fridge and warmed up.  In europe, I think you should also have ready access (moreso than in the US) to a pretty wide selection of yogurts, many without tons and tons of sugar in them, which may be another option to try.

I am also a huge fan of the banana.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 08:27:47 PM »
Adding raisins and nuts (like chopped almonds) to the oatmeal makes it even more filling.

TrMama

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 08:30:59 PM »
Ditto the advice to do whatever you can to make mornings less rushed. It will help a lot.

I sometimes make a big batch of pancakes on the weekend and freeze the extras. Then just pop a frozen pancake in the toaster in the morning. Or heat up 2 and make them into a peanut butter sandwich.

I'd probably also disregard the school's no good from hone rule and give her a box of granola bars to keep in her locker. Although I'm a troublemaking momma bear ;-) YMMV.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »
A bowl of quick cook oaks (normal oats just cut up smaller), can bee cooked in the microwave in just 1 minute 30 seconds, and no prior prep is required. Throw in some chopped banana, and there's a lot of energy done.

Again eggs can be poached in the microwave in 40 seconds (2 x 20 seconds). And then thrown in between two slices of bread. Even bacon can be microwaved between two paper towels fairly successfully.

Or pad out cereal with yogurt and fruit.

Avocado is also easy,cut in half and give them a spoon.

PS, sorry to hear the food a school isn't up to your daughters needs.

PPS, sometimes rules are meant to be broken. whats the worst thing that's going to happen if you send your daughter to school with a healthy second lunch/snacks.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 10:24:45 PM by gooki »

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 07:54:04 AM »

PPS, sometimes rules are meant to be broken. whats the worst thing that's going to happen if you send your daughter to school with a healthy second lunch/snacks.

I've sent food with her before that was easy and discreet to eat (crackers and banana) just to tide her over and she got yelled at by the teacher.  The school lunches are fine for kids with normal matabolisms but hers is very fast so she need to eat more.  There are lots of overweight kids here in Italy, so I think the rule against bringing food from home is a misguided attempt to combat childhood obesity.  My kid is ultra skinny though and we almost never eat junk food.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 07:56:05 AM by Hula Hoop »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 09:10:09 AM »

I've sent food with her before that was easy and discreet to eat (crackers and banana) just to tide her over and she got yelled at by the teacher.  The school lunches are fine for kids with normal matabolisms but hers is very fast so she need to eat more.  There are lots of overweight kids here in Italy, so I think the rule against bringing food from home is a misguided attempt to combat childhood obesity.  My kid is ultra skinny though and we almost never eat junk food.

Can you get your doctor involved? IE, a doctor's note to the school explaining that your child needs more food than they provide?

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 09:13:57 AM »
I would add fat and protein to breakfast. Hemp hearts are amazing - maybe chia and flax seeds and chopped walnuts? And a big dinner right after school plus supper with the family?

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »
I'm going to try to get us all up 15 minutes earlier and concentrate on making a filling and protein containing breakfast.  Maybe a glass of milk too.  Thanks all.

Part of the problem is that my husband does school pick up and half the time he forgets to bring a snack for the kids.  They have a snack as soon as they get home though.  Dinner is at around 7.30 and we always eat as a family.

I remember being constantly starving as a child too and I was underweight.  My mother used to pack my lunch but it was never enough - usually just one sandwich plus a piece of fruit.  So this brings back bad memories.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 02:58:52 PM »
I think your plan is sound.

My children, who are only 5 and 6, often seem to get the majority of their calories at breakfast; they sometimes decline lunch or dinner. So while their lunch system seems awfully strict and ill-advised, I don't think it is totally outlandish that a nine-year-old might be able to train herself to take in more calories in the morning and after school and get by on less lunch. She is lucky you are looking out for her!

Bliss

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 03:04:48 PM »
I second the eggs/potatoes and peanut butter recommendations. Maybe a baked frittata that can be reheated in the morning. It may sound funny, but some breakfast beans might help stave off hunger pangs as well.

I lived in Italy, deep deep South, for 10 years so can understand (and sympathize with) the attitudes that you're getting from school. :)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
Ciao Bliss - glad you can sympathize.  The school food here is actually generally pretty good compared to many other countries - they usually have a small portion of either pasta or risotto followed by some kind of protein (meat, fish, cheese or egg frittata) with a veggie and fruit for dessert.  The problem is portion sizes which are tiny and also the fact that sometimes they have foods that DD doesn't like so she just has to starve.

Anyway, I gave the girls two scambled eggs each plus toast with margarine/cream cheese and a glass of milk before school this morning.  Older daughter told me that she wasn't starving all morning as she usually is and that the morning snack (usually two small cookies) was enough to keep her going until lunch.  So it seems that I'm on the right track with the protein.  Tomorrow I'll try fried eggs on toast.  I need to go shopping for some oats to make oatmeal.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2017, 03:29:28 PM »
My son is definitely a filler-up-at-breakfast type but my kids are both early risers so we have lots of time to make big breakfasts in the mornings.

My son LOVES peanut butter mixed into his steel cut oats. I sometimes use jam to draw a smiley face on the oatmeal for a special treat. PB&J oatmeal is the ultimate at our house.

Scrambled eggs and PB on toast is another relatively quick one. And also, if your daughter is an adventurous eater, bagels w/ cream cheese and smoked salmon is a very fast and filling breakfast with great fats (though also potentially difficult to find in Italy).

We do a lot of cheese grits with tomatoes and eggs at our house for breakfast too. Maybe you can substitute polenta? you could do tube polenta, scrambled eggs and premade tomato sauce for a filling and nutritious meal (not super fast but a nice change from regular scrambled eggs).

I'm lucky that my kids will eat almost anything for breakfast so I get a lot of their nutrition in in the mornings.

Those lunches sound pretty awesome, but portion size is important too.

dphngbr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »
I second the suggestion to go heavy on the fat and protein:  add cream and nuts (even peanut butter!) to oatmeal, ham and cheese sandwiches, museli (whole milk yogurt plus oats and dried fruit -- easy to make ahead).  You can't beat the caloric density of fat, which means it takes less time to eat too! 

And if she's really, really pressed for time, protein powder in whole milk is mega filling -- I relied on this a lot when I was working 80 hours a week and pregnant. 

Good luck! 

Bourbon

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2017, 01:00:42 PM »
Lots of good suggestions here.  The other quick item that we keep for our kids(younger than yours) are sausage balls(sausage, cheese, baking mix).  We keep a bag frozen and pull them out to nuke quickly if you want to add protein and fat.

Misstachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 08:08:09 AM »

Can you get your doctor involved? IE, a doctor's note to the school explaining that your child needs more food than they provide?

My mom went in and spoke to the teachers enforcing the "no food" rules and explained that I NEEDED to eat constantly. I was teeny tiny but with a ridiculous metabolism. I'd have a breakfast at home, one at school, pretzels in the morning, a big lunch, cheese & crackers in the afternoon classes, and if I had sports my mom would often drop off a huge sandwich for 3:00. And a bag of snacks for after practice.  Sometimes I'd also take a smoothie to sip all morning.

I was so grateful she fought for me. Without constant food I would get shaky, nauseated, and headachey. I'm not sure if you'd be culturally comfortable with that but I still feel warmly grateful that she spoke up.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »
Misstachian - I can try.  For now, DD says that with 2 eggs plus toast and a glass of milk or porridge with plenty of high fat milk for breakfast she's fine until snack time at 10.30.  I am emphasizing to DH (who picks the kids up from school each day) that he has to bring a healthy snack with protein at pick up time.

I've also got a high metabolism.  I remember being constantly hungry as a child because my parents didn't understand that I needed to eat all the time and my mother has a slightly disordered relationship with food.  There's a lot of stigma for women, and particularly for teen girls, if they eat a lot.  Now that I'm an adult, I eat all day at the office and still eat 3 hearty meals a day. I've always had a high metabolism and am tall and thin.  My daughter is the same. 

Misstachian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 07:35:22 PM »
Misstachian - I can try.  For now, DD says that with 2 eggs plus toast and a glass of milk or porridge with plenty of high fat milk for breakfast she's fine until snack time at 10.30.  I am emphasizing to DH (who picks the kids up from school each day) that he has to bring a healthy snack with protein at pick up time.

I've also got a high metabolism.  I remember being constantly hungry as a child because my parents didn't understand that I needed to eat all the time and my mother has a slightly disordered relationship with food.  There's a lot of stigma for women, and particularly for teen girls, if they eat a lot.  Now that I'm an adult, I eat all day at the office and still eat 3 hearty meals a day. I've always had a high metabolism and am tall and thin.  My daughter is the same.

Me too! I'm so glad you've managed to fill her up. :)

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »
Cook things (pancakes, etc) ahead of time so they just be quickly reheated.

Also, work on making mornings less of a rush. Whatever the pain points are there, try to address them. Picking out clothes? Do that before bed. Don't want to get up? Not going to sleep early enough. Long shower? Do it before bed. Will it fix the morning rush entirely? No, but it can help.

We make whole wheat ones, out of the freezer into the toaster, if they are thin enough. If not put in microwave for a few seconds.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!