Author Topic: Evidence based breastfeeding for mustachians  (Read 23458 times)

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Evidence based breastfeeding for mustachians
« Reply #250 on: September 28, 2017, 11:18:35 AM »
Thanks again everyone for the support and suggestions.

DD gained 5 ounces in two days after starting the 10 minute nurse per side, plus bottle of as much milk (breast & formula) as she wants routine. My supply is still down though it seems to be increasing ever so slightly each day. She is also so much happier now that she's eating enough and she is sleeping wonderfully.

I got a referral to this place: http://milc.sacramentomnm.com/ they have Certified Nurse Midwives that can diagnose and treat ties as well as work with us to successfully exclusively breastfeed.

I have an appointment for next week!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
Evidence based breastfeeding for mustachians
« Reply #251 on: September 28, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »
I experience nipple blanching after a feed. No extreme pain, so I'm guessing not Raynaud's Phenomenon. Should I be concerned? Baby seems to be eating enough. Latch might be shallow half the time though.

Goldielocks

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2017, 04:58:16 PM »
EY... I am rooting for you.  (pun intended?)  Your description brings back so many memories.   DD did get the tongue tie snipped and it helped enough that we continued breast feeding for 4 months, although bottle supplementation was always in the works after the first couple of weeks, and I did not have your strength to continue with all the different SNS systems and pumping cycles for long. 

PharmaStache

• Stubble
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #253 on: September 28, 2017, 08:21:36 PM »
I experience nipple blanching after a feed. No extreme pain, so I'm guessing not Raynaud's Phenomenon. Should I be concerned? Baby seems to be eating enough. Latch might be shallow half the time though.

I had that and my nipples haven't fallen off yet, so I guess it's okay!  My babies also didn't have great latches until they grew a bit bigger.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #254 on: September 28, 2017, 10:28:37 PM »

I had that and my nipples haven't fallen off yet, so I guess it's okay!  My babies also didn't have great latches until they grew a bit bigger.

That is good :D

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #255 on: October 02, 2017, 01:24:33 AM »
Update: breastfeeding is going awesomely!! This is a far cry from the stress and pain I felt 7 weeks ago.

I want to thank whoever recommended the haakaa pump; best $30 I ever spent - that thing is AMAZING. Hands free, zero effort, easy to clean. Works like a charm.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #256 on: October 02, 2017, 01:26:04 AM »
Can giving up dairy reduce my milk supply? Still got plenty of wet nappies from bub, but he's feeding for ages half asleep instead of taking naps during the daytime. He's got a suspected dairy allergy so I've given up dairy over the past week, which coincides with the sleep-suckling (for up to an hour, I get bored after that and move him and he wakes up).

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #257 on: October 02, 2017, 01:26:53 AM »
Update: breastfeeding is going awesomely!! This is a far cry from the stress and pain I felt 7 weeks ago.

I want to thank whoever recommended the haakaa pump; best $30 I ever spent - that thing is AMAZING. Hands free, zero effort, easy to clean. Works like a charm.
This is an awesome update! Really cool to hear that the haakaa is a good pump.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #258 on: October 02, 2017, 07:45:18 AM »
Can giving up dairy reduce my milk supply? Still got plenty of wet nappies from bub, but he's feeding for ages half asleep instead of taking naps during the daytime. He's got a suspected dairy allergy so I've given up dairy over the past week, which coincides with the sleep-suckling (for up to an hour, I get bored after that and move him and he wakes up).

It shouldn't. But, if you're not getting enough calories or liquid, that may impact it.

If your babe is otherwise gaining weight, I would put an end to the sleep sucking. When he starts falling asleep, detach him. If he wakes up and wants to nurse more, fine but put an end to it when he falls asleep. If he is falling asleep before getting a good feed, do what you need to keep him awake (such as undressing, etc).

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #259 on: October 02, 2017, 08:15:56 AM »
What hold do people who use the haaka pump use? I can't figure out how there would be room to have a pump attached to my breast along with my daughter. (Not to mention now she is super kicking and wiggling while eating.)

I never figured out how to pump with a flange based pump while she ate.  I sometimes use the freemie manual pump, but now she likes to pull the tubing.

I've upped her bottles to 4 ounces, which means I need to pump 16 ounces a day, and that is a lot. But I just can't figure out where the haaka would go...

Also- does it work at all if you don't leak when feeding?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:22:44 AM by iowajes »

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #260 on: October 02, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »
What hold do people who use the haaka pump use? I can't figure out how there would be room to have a pump attached to my breast along with my daughter. (Not to mention now she is super kicking and wiggling while eating.)

I never figured out how to pump with a flange based pump while she ate.  I sometimes use the freemie manual pump, but now she likes to pull the tubing.

I've upped her bottles to 4 ounces, which means I need to pump 16 ounces a day, and that is a lot. But I just can't figure out where the haaka would go...

Also- does it work at all if you don't leak when feeding?

It would work with the football hold.
I haven't used one myself, but I understand it creates a vacuum around the breast, which is what draws the milk out,
A kiwi in the land down-under, with 2 beautiful boys in her life.
Navigating through turbulence and toddlerhood

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Evidence based breastfeeding for mustachians
« Reply #261 on: October 02, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »
Haakaa pump - I use a modified cross cradle. I have baby on one side and a free boob in the other.

Captain FIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #262 on: October 02, 2017, 02:17:27 PM »
I was able to pump in a cross-body hold.  I just pumped over the baby while he nursed (carefully angled so it was over but not spilling).  Not easy, but doable.  Most difficult part is actually take the pump away from your body.  I did use tubes rather than bottles, which may have helped.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »
:/ I deleted my photo but it still shows up when I view this thread by title in my list of threads participated in... I hope adding a new photo will make that go away.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #264 on: October 02, 2017, 02:56:32 PM »
Ok let me know if anyone knows how I can remove my photo of my bust with baby haha.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: October 02, 2017, 03:43:12 PM »
I only see a washing machine.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #266 on: October 02, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »
Ok good :)

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: October 02, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
The washing machine kinda looks like boobs, though.

iowajes

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: October 02, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »
I thought so too. I figured it was intentional.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #269 on: October 02, 2017, 06:43:56 PM »
I thought so too. I figured it was intentional.
Haha I wish I were that clever! Naw, I just grabbed a random photo off my phone :)