Author Topic: Evidence based breastfeeding for mustachians  (Read 20070 times)

jezebel

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Evidence based breastfeeding for mustachians
« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2017, 01:18:14 PM »
It was about 9 months between weaning #1 and getting pregnant with #2.

It strikes me as such a small, petty thing to be concerned about. But I am, can't deny it.

I was feeling the same but I bet you will be pleasantly surprised about a year or less after weaning your second.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2017, 01:23:20 PM »
Unfortunately I think everyone is different on the post-baby boob changes. I know many women report a loss of “perk” or lift after experiencing pregnancy and breastfeeding. My understanding is that the increase in sagginess of the boobs post pregnancy and breastfeeding has to do with a loss of elasticity in the skin and tissue of the breast due to all that rapid growth and then subsequent deflation. Loss of skin elasticity is also exacerbated by the natural aging process.  For the floppiness or the boob itself, at only a month out, your breasts are still in the process of switching over their tissue structure, which can take months. You might find that once they go back to more fatty tissue that they develop a fuller, less-deflated appearance, even if they do ride a bit lower than before. I wouldn't panic just yet at only 1 month out....6 months from now you will probably have a more accurate idea of what your future boobs are more likely to look like.

My boobs stayed larger than my pre-baby days after I weaned despite losing all the baby weight, and they definitely are a bit saggier than before baby (not particularly obvious, but noticeable to me). With this 2nd pregnancy, they got huge fast and are now really big – much bigger than they were first time around at this stage. I’m emotionally preparing myself for the fact that I’ll probably never get those perky little boobs back from my early 20s, especially after 2 kids. Ah well.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #202 on: August 29, 2017, 05:36:07 PM »
With regards to the perkiness afterwards, the ABA counsellor that attended our meetings said that the sagginess was caused by pregnancy so there was nothing we could do to avoid it in the first place.
However, she did say that to help with reducing sagginess afterwards, to try to wean gradually if possible. I can't remember the full explanation why, but it was along the lines of allowing the skin time to adjust, and 'destretch' whereas if you wean quickly your body has a rapid change, which can lead to more stretch marks, + the skin hasn't shrunk as well.
A kiwi in the land down-under, with 2 beautiful boys in her life.
Navigating through turbulence and toddlerhood

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2017, 04:40:05 AM »
I love this thread. I'm trying to catch up - so much great info!

I've been EBF for three weeks and it's been tough at times, especially the beginning. I've seen multiple LCs and received a ton of excellent support.

I've been consuming delicious lactation cookies: http://www.organicmamacafe.com/2012/07/flourless-lactation-cookies-monster-cookie-style/

One thing that stands out to me is that my husband meant to be supportive but it really felt invalidating (as said on a previous page) when he repeatedly suggested pumping or formula. He just wanted me to stop being in pain and be able to sleep more, but I wanted him to say, "You got this. And I'll support you in any way you like."

In fact, there was a great Kelly Mom article that spoke to this but I can't find it again :/

Great thread, thanks for creating!

dumbblond

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2017, 12:36:29 PM »
Thank you, all, for creating and reviving this thread! I'm due in November with our third, and I was unable to nurse either of my first two past their first week of life.

Reading through all of the posts just made more and more things about my experience make sense, and it's given me hope that maybe with my third we will be able to have more success with breastfeeding.

Chesleygirl

• Bristles
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2017, 09:38:37 PM »
Unfortunately I think everyone is different on the post-baby boob changes. I know many women report a loss of “perk” or lift after experiencing pregnancy and breastfeeding. My understanding is that the increase in sagginess of the boobs post pregnancy and breastfeeding has to do with a loss of elasticity in the skin and tissue of the breast due to all that rapid growth and then subsequent deflation. Loss of skin elasticity is also exacerbated by the natural aging process.  For the floppiness or the boob itself, at only a month out, your breasts are still in the process of switching over their tissue structure, which can take months. You might find that once they go back to more fatty tissue that they develop a fuller, less-deflated appearance, even if they do ride a bit lower than before. I wouldn't panic just yet at only 1 month out....6 months from now you will probably have a more accurate idea of what your future boobs are more likely to look like.

I am having to consider breast reduction surgery at this point after having 2 pregnancies. Losing weight has not helped, at all. They stay the same size. Doing chest presses at the gym doesn't help either. It's just given me really strong arms now.

The only thing that will help is surgery. Which insurance does not cover. I might consider getting surgery, though. And just paying for it. I can't deal with this!

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2017, 10:10:33 AM »
Can I ask a breastfeeding-related question here?

My right breast is having a sharp stabbing pain very infrequently. Since yesterday. Google makes me fear thrush or worse. The pain is very infrequent and not SO bad. If it got worse I'd go to the doctor. But maybe I should be doing something else?

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #207 on: September 01, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »

My right breast is having a sharp stabbing pain very infrequently. Since yesterday. Google makes me fear thrush or worse. The pain is very infrequent and not SO bad. If it got worse I'd go to the doctor. But maybe I should be doing something else?

I used to get that and it was so random. I don't think you have to worry about thrush, at least not yet. You can check your baby's gums and tongues for signs. If it's thrush, it'll be coated in white that doesn't come off when you lightly scrape. Your nipple and areola will also get red.

Keep an eye on it. Hang out with your flaps down when you can to make sure things air out. If you do suspect thrush, you can rub monistat directly on your nipples and it'll be fine for both you and baby.

I found that it was just one of those weird things that happened when I nursed. :/

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #208 on: September 01, 2017, 11:10:38 AM »

I used to get that and it was so random. I don't think you have to worry about thrush, at least not yet. You can check your baby's gums and tongues for signs. If it's thrush, it'll be coated in white that doesn't come off when you lightly scrape. Your nipple and areola will also get red.

Keep an eye on it. Hang out with your flaps down when you can to make sure things air out. If you do suspect thrush, you can rub monistat directly on your nipples and it'll be fine for both you and baby.

I found that it was just one of those weird things that happened when I nursed. :/

The fact that that's an option is a total relief! Thanks :) I'll keep an eye on things.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #209 on: September 01, 2017, 11:45:14 AM »
Odd sensations can be normal with breastfeeding – the key is to make sure it isn’t frequent/chronic or getting worse. If the sensation is in the breast itself and not the nipple area, it’s possible you might have a duct that is starting to clog up (one of the most common breastfeeding issues). If that’s the case make sure the boob is drained fully at every feeding (should go from swollen/firmer before feeding, to soft and floppy with practically nothing coming out if you hand express). You can also use some warm, wet heat (showers, bean bags or hot water bottles wrapped in damp facecloths, etc) and massage the area gently throughout the day to try to get ahead of the issue if you suspect it is a possible clog. Ducts clog when they don’t drain fully or sometimes when they get too compressed for too long (like if you sleep on your boob). A full blown clogged duct will often manifest as a really sore/tender area, often with flu-like symptoms such as low grade fever, chills, aches, fatigue. You’ll know it if it gets worse. I don't remember experiencing pain before my clogged ducts would appear, but I did have pain during them.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #210 on: September 01, 2017, 03:01:43 PM »
Odd sensations can be normal with breastfeeding – the key is to make sure it isn’t frequent/chronic or getting worse. If the sensation is in the breast itself and not the nipple area, it’s possible you might have a duct that is starting to clog up (one of the most common breastfeeding issues). If that’s the case make sure the boob is drained fully at every feeding (should go from swollen/firmer before feeding, to soft and floppy with practically nothing coming out if you hand express). You can also use some warm, wet heat (showers, bean bags or hot water bottles wrapped in damp facecloths, etc) and massage the area gently throughout the day to try to get ahead of the issue if you suspect it is a possible clog. Ducts clog when they don’t drain fully or sometimes when they get too compressed for too long (like if you sleep on your boob). A full blown clogged duct will often manifest as a really sore/tender area, often with flu-like symptoms such as low grade fever, chills, aches, fatigue. You’ll know it if it gets worse. I don't remember experiencing pain before my clogged ducts would appear, but I did have pain during them.

Great tips, thank you!

cats

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #211 on: September 05, 2017, 11:17:59 AM »
I occasionally got random "stabbing" sensations in my breasts during the time I was nursing (though not necessarily while my kid was actively feeding).  Like you mention, LifeJoy, they happened infrequently and they weren't that bad, but kind of weird.  Sometimes they seemed tied to thinking about my child or my child crying nearby, so I did wonder if it was some sort of production suddenly being stimulated.

I *did* get obviously clogged ducts a few times, just in one breast, and now that I think about it, that was the breast that got the stabby feeling more (it was also the breast that produced more milk when I pumped, and that my son generally seemed to prefer...).  I was lucky that I was able to get it cleared up quickly each time and never progressed into mastitis or a chronic occurance.  A hot washcloth and then lots of nursing did the trick the first two times, the last time the clog was actually right at the surface of the nipple and I wound up bursting it manually, which was crazy as I then had this out of control jet of milk going all over the place for a few minutes.  It was not something I would want to have happen regularly, but as a one-time experience, it was kind of cool.  Sort of like the satisfaction you get from popping a really big pimple, only moreso :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #212 on: September 06, 2017, 05:02:27 AM »
I occasionally got random "stabbing" sensations in my breasts during the time I was nursing (though not necessarily while my kid was actively feeding).  Like you mention, LifeJoy, they happened infrequently and they weren't that bad, but kind of weird.  Sometimes they seemed tied to thinking about my child or my child crying nearby, so I did wonder if it was some sort of production suddenly being stimulated.

I *did* get obviously clogged ducts a few times, just in one breast, and now that I think about it, that was the breast that got the stabby feeling more (it was also the breast that produced more milk when I pumped, and that my son generally seemed to prefer...).  I was lucky that I was able to get it cleared up quickly each time and never progressed into mastitis or a chronic occurance.  A hot washcloth and then lots of nursing did the trick the first two times, the last time the clog was actually right at the surface of the nipple and I wound up bursting it manually, which was crazy as I then had this out of control jet of milk going all over the place for a few minutes.  It was not something I would want to have happen regularly, but as a one-time experience, it was kind of cool.  Sort of like the satisfaction you get from popping a really big pimple, only moreso :)

Ha! Crazy story! And thanks for the tips :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
Evidence based breastfeeding for mustachians
« Reply #213 on: September 06, 2017, 05:04:04 AM »
Regarding latch:

If baby is getting fed enough milk (as evidenced by weeks of great weight gain), if feedings are efficient enough, if my nipples are not in pain, is that a good enough latch?

I ask because sometimes the latch is not as deep as I know it could be, but everything else seems fine... wondering if I should constantly attempt to perfect the latch or if good enough is good enough.

iowajes

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #214 on: September 06, 2017, 06:31:31 AM »
Regarding latch:

If baby is getting fed enough milk (as evidenced by weeks of great weight gain), if feedings are efficient enough, if my nipples are not in pain, is that a good enough latch?

I ask because sometimes the latch is not as deep as I know it could be, but everything else seems fine... wondering if I should constantly attempt to perfect the latch or if good enough is good enough.

As far as I'm concerned: yes.

Daughter now transfers quite efficiently, is gaining great, is chunking up, I'm not in pain.  But her latch is shallow and sometimes it looks like she only has nipple not aerola.   Can't figure out what the point in trying to fix it is. She's happy, I'm happy. Who cares about textbook?

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #215 on: September 06, 2017, 07:02:00 AM »
Regarding latch:

As far as I'm concerned: yes.

Daughter now transfers quite efficiently, is gaining great, is chunking up, I'm not in pain.  But her latch is shallow and sometimes it looks like she only has nipple not aerola.   Can't figure out what the point in trying to fix it is. She's happy, I'm happy. Who cares about textbook?
Sometimes my baby has just a little more than the nipple in his mouth, sometimes he has a giant chunk of boob. I'm with iowajes - as long as I'm not in pain, he's draining the boob and he gets happy and satisfied, I'm very happy and satisfied :)

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #216 on: September 06, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »
Yay! Good enough IS good enough!

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #217 on: September 06, 2017, 10:55:31 AM »

Yup. The pragmatic definition of a good latch is one that: 1 – effectively transfers enough milk and keeps baby satisfied and gaining well, and 2 – one that is comfortable, not painful for mom and does not result in damage or harm to the nipple/surrounding tissue. If you meet both criteria, then you have a good latch even if it doesn’t seem to be exactly the same as some of the “perfect” latch demos you might see in breastfeeding resources. Every mom and baby are different in terms of baby’s mouth structure/size/ability to open, and mom’s nipple size and breast shape. As a result, a perfect latch varies widely because the exact “hardware” is different for every breastfeeding dyad.

chaskavitch

• Stubble
« Reply #218 on: September 06, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »

Yup. The pragmatic definition of a good latch is one that: 1 – effectively transfers enough milk and keeps baby satisfied and gaining well, and 2 – one that is comfortable, not painful for mom and does not result in damage or harm to the nipple/surrounding tissue. If you meet both criteria, then you have a good latch even if it doesn’t seem to be exactly the same as some of the “perfect” latch demos you might see in breastfeeding resources. Every mom and baby are different in terms of baby’s mouth structure/size/ability to open, and mom’s nipple size and breast shape. As a result, a perfect latch varies widely because the exact “hardware” is different for every breastfeeding dyad.

The only reason I can think of to try to "perfect" your latch is plugged ducts/mastitis.  My kid has one of these good enough latches, but all of the three plugged ducts I have had progressed to mastitis, and only one of them cleared up without antibiotics.  I felt (perhaps wrongly) that if he had a deeper latch, he might have been more able to clear the plugged duct during nursing, and I might have been able to avoid the awful week of fever and pain each time. 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2017, 06:14:40 PM »
Sigh, I've ended up with a plugged duct. Best strategies for fixing it? I figured a hot shower & pumping while massaging, I've also been using different holds with my baby to hopefully get his suck to clear it out. Is there anything else helpful I can do?

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2017, 08:26:01 PM »
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/common-concerns–mum/blocked-ducts

This is from the ABA.
I have also heard some mums get good results from massaging with electric toothbrushes, or vibrators. (Haven't tried it myself as I've never knowingly had one)
A kiwi in the land down-under, with 2 beautiful boys in her life.
Navigating through turbulence and toddlerhood

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2017, 10:36:53 PM »
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/common-concerns–mum/blocked-ducts

This is from the ABA.
I have also heard some mums get good results from massaging with electric toothbrushes, or vibrators. (Haven't tried it myself as I've never knowingly had one)
Thanks for that, I forgot about checking there! I probably shouldn't have pumped, I hope it doesn't increase my supply, but it cleared the milk & then the lump shifted as soon as baby had a feed. Holding a heat pack on my boob was tricky but I'm pretty sure it helped, and I couldn't have held it while he was feeding, I suppose.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #223 on: September 11, 2017, 02:32:45 PM »
If you keep having trouble with plugged ducts, some moms have had success supplementing with soy lecithin. If you're able to dislodge it okay and don't develop mastitis, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

chaskavitch

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: September 12, 2017, 06:16:14 AM »
If you keep having trouble with plugged ducts, some moms have had success supplementing with soy lecithin. If you're able to dislodge it okay and don't develop mastitis, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort.

A million times yes to soy lecithin if you can't get rid of the plug.  I think I put this in upthread too, but I really truly believe it was the deciding factor the first time I got mastitis (after constant massage, two types of antibiotics, heat and cold packs, hot showers, immersing my breast in a bowl of hot salt water because I was willing to try ANYTHING, dangle feeding, feeding exclusively on that side, and vibration (I decided it was worth it to at least try, lol)). 

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Naps for all!
« Reply #225 on: September 12, 2017, 06:41:23 AM »

A million times yes to soy lecithin if you can't get rid of the plug.  I think I put this in upthread too, but I really truly believe it was the deciding factor the first time I got mastitis (after constant massage, two types of antibiotics, heat and cold packs, hot showers, immersing my breast in a bowl of hot salt water because I was willing to try ANYTHING, dangle feeding, feeding exclusively on that side, and vibration (I decided it was worth it to at least try, lol)).
I'll keep this in mind, there is some in the Milo I have been drinking a lot of, but I suspect it's very low amounts.

My LC sent me this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=GnBY3w9aVyo
Thanks for that, I will be watching it a few times!

Margie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #226 on: September 12, 2017, 08:00:03 AM »
My son is 15 now and I still remember the pain of mastitis...happened at the end of weaning...thank goodness it didn't happen all year long! (first experience was hard, second easy)    My daughter (12 now) didn't cause any problems.

I remember being told to point his chin toward the clog and to make sure to manually express it entirely...it was gross - he wasn't that interested and when I manually expressed it all out - it was clearly pus so no wonder he hesitated!   Hot showers and definitely take care of it as soon as you notice!

Anyhow, some parts of motherhood will sear in your brain forever! 

Good luck
Welcome to the land where you can get sunburnt and frostbite in the same week