Author Topic: End of summer food fight?  (Read 2003 times)

gpyros85

• Stubble
End of summer food fight?
« on: July 18, 2018, 12:05:55 AM »
So a few of the moms are arranging an end of the summer break food fight to celebrate the closing of the summer break. I firmly told my wife our children are NOT participating as it teaches all the wrong values in life...

I actually seen these happen in movies but NEVER heard anybody actually arranging one.. I think it blatantly shows excess and teaches all the wrong values.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
Re: End of summer food fight?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2018, 11:14:41 AM »
Wow. I'm kinda speechless.

I hate to bring up "starving children in China/Bangledesh/etc." and I don't wave that in front of my family much, but ... yeah. Teaching your children to value real food and not waste it seems like a basic part of parenting. "Value what you have" seems like a fundamental part of being a good person.

(We had massive flooding in our town a few months after we'd gotten back from visiting friends in South Africa. They emailed to see if we were OK, and my response included "are you kidding me? We've got clean water coming out of the taps, a warm place to live with a roof over our heads, and all our stuff is fine. There's water drying out of the crawl space, and we'll have to replace the water heater and furnace, but we're a million times better off then all the folks living in townships."  And I meant it -- we were inconvenienced slightly, but still better off then 95% of the world's population. )

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »
Wasting food like that is disgusting, I'm glad you're not participating.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 11:37:16 AM »
Any way of suggesting it be an 'end of summer food drive'?  Instead of buying food to waste, you can get everyone to buy food to donate and then do something fun after like throw water balloons or something.

That way you could actually help bring awareness about hunger throughout the world.

gpyros85

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 01:12:16 PM »
I usually don’t care how other people waste their money but this one struck a nerve and I’m glad I’m not alone in this situation. Wife agreed and would rather do water balloons.

Also, we are going to make a dish for the local food drive they have weekly here in our city.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 09:17:33 AM »
Awesome solution!

The advantage of a "food drive" is that it reminds the other parents (and all the kids) that there are people going hungry in your city, (so they should be thoughtful about their food waste) without getting too pointed about it.

Also, water balloons are super-fun.

Hvillian

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 11:09:26 AM »

[. . . ]
Also, water balloons are super-fun.

End of School Year water fights are common where we live (Water Balloons, Water Guns, kids vs. parents).   Agree with you - food fight would be wasteful.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 04:57:01 AM »
That is pretty hideous, but there’s a simple solution: collect expired food from supermarkets to fight with. It’d be chucked anyway but you get to have fun with it first. Yes, I know a lot of it is still perfectly edible but maybe there’s a great opportunity for teaching if you get the kids to go and collect it.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 10:47:37 AM »
The only thing we did, 20 years ago, was let the kids throw the way overgrown zucchini  from our garden into the woos chipper (I think TheHusbandHalf liked it too.

A couple of grocery stores around here have areas where you can leave unwanted food, which is given to places that could use it, to help those in need.