Author Topic: Does the covid pandemic have you rethinking school plans?  (Read 19467 times)

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Does the covid pandemic have you rethinking school plans?
« Reply #200 on: August 02, 2020, 10:34:13 AM »
Are many people on this thread really considering homeschooling?  I'd have to quit my job or hire someone else to conduct the homeschooling. So I'm surprised that tons of families are going to suddenly decide to homeschool right before school starts.
I am planning to homeschool my kindergartener until in-person school resumes, plus keep my 3-year-old home. I work full time (currently from home), but my job is allowing me to spend 10 work hours per week caring for children, and also to flex my hours, so long as I get them done between 6a-6p.

So my plan is roughly:

6-9: Work. Kids watch TV and play independently
9-12: "School"
12-1: Lunch, put kids down for nap/quiet time
1-4: Work. Kids do quiet time, and then have free time until DH gets home at ~3:00, at which point he takes over.

My kindergartener is ahead academically (can read, add, subtract), and super self-motivated (like she does workbooks for fun) so I think it will go fine, and that we can get by with mostly play-based learning. I'm actually a little more worried about teaching the 3-year-old - she's much more wild and less motivated to do any structured learning.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:38:45 AM by nessness »

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #201 on: August 02, 2020, 02:51:54 PM »
Are many people on this thread really considering homeschooling?  I'd have to quit my job or hire someone else to conduct the homeschooling. So I'm surprised that tons of families are going to suddenly decide to homeschool right before school starts.
I am planning to homeschool my kindergartener until in-person school resumes, plus keep my 3-year-old home. I work full time (currently from home), but my job is allowing me to spend 10 work hours per week caring for children, and also to flex my hours, so long as I get them done between 6a-6p.

So my plan is roughly:

1-4: Work. Kids do quiet time, and then have free time until DH gets home at ~3:00, at which point he takes over.

My kindergartener is ahead academically (can read, add, subtract), and super self-motivated (like she does workbooks for fun) so I think it will go fine, and that we can get by with mostly play-based learning. I'm actually a little more worried about teaching the 3-year-old - she's much more wild and less motivated to do any structured learning.

Are you worried about teaching the 3-year old in a couple of years or right now? Right now she should be fine just playing. There's 12+ years of school ahead, no need to start now. You can always incorporate things around the house like teaching shapes and colors by having her "help" sort containers or blocks or whatever you have around.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: August 02, 2020, 04:45:57 PM »
Structured learning for a 3 year old is arguably *harmful*. So no need to fret about that.

-W

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #203 on: August 03, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »

So my plan is roughly:

Are you worried about teaching the 3-year old in a couple of years or right now? Right now she should be fine just playing. There's 12+ years of school ahead, no need to start now. You can always incorporate things around the house like teaching shapes and colors by having her "help" sort containers or blocks or whatever you have around.
My older daughter learned a lot of things at daycare as a 3-year-old - identifying letters, writing her name, naming the days of the week, identifying shapes, etc. - so I guess I've been feeling like I should be teaching my 3-year-old those things. But you're right that she will be fine just playing.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: August 03, 2020, 09:02:45 PM »
Ugh - we had to decide and we decided to sign up for the virtual. There was enough of an outcry about the rapidly changing covid situation and lack of info about the virtual option that the school has now committed to a three day trial period where you can switch from virtual to in person. We still hadn't heard back about IEP or Gifted but figure we have three days to change our minds once school starts or once we have more info on what can be accommodated.

It feels like kicking the can down the road, but I have several family members who work at Indiana schools (the first to go back) and they are all talking about what a disaster the first few days have been. I didn't feel like I could commit to face to face instruction when there is no option to go remote once you've committed.

I am still sort of in shock that everything seems to be proceeding as usual? Schools are opening, our neighbors threw a huge party over the weekend, restaurants are full, no one is wearing masks even though there is a mask mandate (though to be fair we aren't venturing out into stores or anything - so maybe people just don't wear them in our little downtown neighborhood). Our family is still holing up in our house and I'm feeling a bit like I'm imagining a pandemic? 

appleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: August 03, 2020, 11:15:11 PM »
Our district just voted tonight to start everyone after Labor Day virtually until November (Southeastern PA). At least one other in the area has also shifted to virtual through the fall and the largest district in the area was voting tonight on a fall plan (probably hybrid ). I feel terrible for everyone having to scramble to figure out how to handle working and virtual schooling, but our county's rates of Covid are going up again and even the schools that do open will probably be closing pretty quickly in the fall.

Everything thats happening is further exacerbating the income equality in our town. There are those who can afford tutors and home instruction (quickly forming pods with other families) and those that are just struggling to get by. I had hoped by choosing virtual schooling (previous plan was an option between in person or virtual), we'd be making space for in person for the kids and families who needed it most. 

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #206 on: August 04, 2020, 07:56:33 AM »
I am still sort of in shock that everything seems to be proceeding as usual? Schools are opening, our neighbors threw a huge party over the weekend, restaurants are full, no one is wearing masks even though there is a mask mandate (though to be fair we aren't venturing out into stores or anything - so maybe people just don't wear them in our little downtown neighborhood). Our family is still holing up in our house and I'm feeling a bit like I'm imagining a pandemic?

I completely relate to this statement. Sometimes, it feels like we're the only family in our area who still thinks we should be concerned. Our neighbors just returned from a week at a big mega-campground in Myrtle Beach (with time spent in restaurants, water parks, and all that stuff) and my mind is just completely blown.

Our school is still offering a hybrid schedule of 2 days in-person and 3 days virtual. We signed our 3rd-grader up for fully remote instruction, but I get the impression that we are in the distinct minority in doing so.

We're going to be moving to another state in the next few months. The district we'll be moving to will also offer a remote option.... but I suspect our move will involve spending at least a month or two in a short-term rental, which may or may not be in the same county as the house we'll ultimately end up buying. (Husband's new job is basically right on the county line and both counties have virtual options.) Surely this is the best possible year to have a weird school situation, since everyone else will also be dealing with crazy-weirdness, but I'm trying to envision how it will all work out. Treat our short-term rental as a vacation (if possible) and keep daughter enrolled in her current school until we actually buy a house in the new location? (I mean, if it's remote, does it really matter? Will they find out if we close on the sale of our house a few days before buying a new one and send the school police after us?) Commit to one county or the other for both rental and purchase, so we can cleanly move from the current district's remote learning to a new district's remote learning? Skip the whole virtual thing completely and just homeschool her until next year?  In the long run, I doubt it matters... but I'm not sure what's the most feasible. We haven't moved since she started school, so this whole short-term-rental-without-bouncing-schools-too-much is kind of mind blowing!!

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: August 05, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »
Ok, so we formally un-enrolled DS from pre-K.  I think there are others who need to go to work that are desperate for spots so I think everything will work out there.  I am sad for my son that he doesn't get to go, but we'll just make the best of it as a family. 

The first grader is more fraught.  Our local situation ended up making national news:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/us/schools-reopening-private-public.html

There's some politics here, because many think the County wanted to shut down private schools in order to keep up public enrollment and get more state funding.  So a lot of people think the County's decision was about politics and not health (since the schools were following CDC guidelines).  But both the governor and Trump have kids in private schools here (not mine), so it's all political.  (Aisde: our particular school does not have tons of resources (we spend less per student than the public schools) but it is a small school so that helps with social distancing.  Of course there are other schools here here with big $$ tuition and donors so it may be accurate for the political analysis the NYT is doing even though not for every individual school).

But I and especially DW were not actually thrilled to find the schools were opening and I think DW is leaning towards pulling our daughter from the school.  I think the County's attempt to delay opening was partly political but also it would give us more time to figure out what is happening elsewhere.  We'resort of floored at how many people are just cheering on the private schools restarting.  I think it's the fact that they were told they couldn't then they won a political battle that's clouding people's judgement.  But I don't know.  Sometimes, it's hard to figure out whose the crazy one. 

Our big fear is not about initially catching the virus but there could be long term health issues (we have a baby, what if he has a mild case but later it turns out it's going to damage his heart or lung capacity and cause significant long term problems).  It seems unlikely, but we just don't know, and we're very hesitant to just gamble when we technically don't need to since my wife can homeschool.   
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 12:15:36 PM by LWYRUP »

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #208 on: August 05, 2020, 02:19:07 PM »

The first grader is more fraught.  Our local situation ended up making national news:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/us/schools-reopening-private-public.html

There's some politics here, because many think the County wanted to shut down private schools in order to keep up public enrollment and get more state funding.  So a lot of people think the County's decision was about politics and not health (since the schools were following CDC guidelines).  But both the governor and Trump have kids in private schools here (not mine), so it's all political.  (Aisde: our particular school does not have tons of resources (we spend less per student than the public schools) but it is a small school so that helps with social distancing.  Of course there are other schools here here with big $$ tuition and donors so it may be accurate for the political analysis the NYT is doing even though not for every individual school).

I've always been confused by this idea. Yes the funding of schools is generally tied to enrollment, but if 10% of kids attending public schools suddenly started homeschooling or going to private schools would funding for public schools actually drop 10%? Or would the say $10,000 of funding per student attending public schools just change to $11,000? I seriously doubt any local or state government is going to drop property/sales/income taxes if school enrollment decreases. If kids move from one district to another or within a district I could see the money following them, but if they leave the system that money is still budgeted by the state/county/city for education. They're sure as hell not giving it back to the taxpayers.   
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 02:20:18 AM by Michael in ABQ »

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2020, 02:29:25 PM »

I've always been confused by this idea. Yes there funding of schools is generally tied to enrollment, but if 10% of kids attending public schools suddenly started homeschooling or going to private schools would funding for public schools actually drop 10%? Or would the say $10,000 of funding per student attending public schools just change to $11,000? I seriously doubt any local or state government is going to drop property/sales/income taxes if school enrollment decreases. If kids move from one district to another or within a district I could see the money following them, but if they leave the system that money is still budgeted by the state/county/city for education. They're sure as hell not giving it back to the taxpayers.

I believe that some of our money goes to the state, and then state allocates that to various counties based on things like number of students enrolled in public school as of a certain date (I think it is right around October 1).  So if a bunch of people decide to use private or homeschool, that money will go to another county instead of mine.  And a different teacher's union.  You are right that it's not going back to taxpayers either way.

Public employee unions are very powerful where I live, so I am not at all surprised at the suggestion that a local politician would do something to appease the union.  But I am sure the governor had his own political and personal reasons to oppose the county.  They are all politicians, so they politik. 

This is a really tricky situation because in prior years our school has been struggling with enrollment (its the little run down cheap school next to the church, not these heavy hitter ones profiled in the article) and now there are waiting lists out the door, but no virtual option.  So we'll have to see if we can unenroll but still get a spot next year.  Or pay tuition but not send our kid??  Plus explaining to our daughter why the school is starting but she isn't going.  Ugh. 

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: August 05, 2020, 08:48:03 PM »
I've always been confused by this idea. Yes there funding of schools is generally tied to enrollment, but if 10% of kids attending public schools suddenly started homeschooling or going to private schools would funding for public schools actually drop 10%? Or would the say $10,000 of funding per student attending public schools just change to $11,000? I seriously doubt any local or state government is going to drop property/sales/income taxes if school enrollment decreases. If kids move from one district to another or within a district I could see the money following them, but if they leave the system that money is still budgeted by the state/county/city for education. They're sure as hell not giving it back to the taxpayers.

In UT, the funding is literally per pupil. If you have 100 pupils and get $10k each, that's a million bucks that year. If you only have 50, you get $500k. The state collects all the property taxes and then redistributes it, so local property tax increases don't directly fund local schools.

Funding for facilities and infrastructure is separate, but teacher salaries have to be paid out of the per-pupil funding. So a sudden drop in students, in the current system, would be a big problem.

-W

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #211 on: August 06, 2020, 06:17:32 PM »

I've always been confused by this idea. Yes the funding of schools is generally tied to enrollment, but if 10% of kids attending public schools suddenly started homeschooling or going to private schools would funding for public schools actually drop 10%? Or would the say $10,000 of funding per student attending public schools just change to $11,000? I seriously doubt any local or state government is going to drop property/sales/income taxes if school enrollment decreases. If kids move from one district to another or within a district I could see the money following them, but if they leave the system that money is still budgeted by the state/county/city for education. They're sure as hell not giving it back to the taxpayers.
It's location dependent.  In California, it depends.

CA has set a "floor" for funding per pupil (elementary, JH, HS are different #s).

A "basic aid" district is one where the property taxes are taken, a percentage is given to the school district, and that total number exceeds the "floor" per pupil.  So, fewer students does not change the funding.

If you aren't basic aid, then CA has to beef up your funding.  That means you get the minimum.

Our district is NOT a basic aid district.  It's complicated, because our district has elementary, JH and High school.  BUT our JH and HS pull in students from 3 other elementary districts.  The OTHER elementary districts are basic aid, but our larger district as a whole is not.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: August 06, 2020, 06:45:43 PM »
Ok, so we formally un-enrolled DS from pre-K.  I think there are others who need to go to work that are desperate for spots so I think everything will work out there.  I am sad for my son that he doesn't get to go, but we'll just make the best of it as a family. 

There's some politics here, because many think the County wanted to shut down private schools in order to keep up public enrollment and get more state funding.  So a lot of people think the County's decision was about politics and not health (since the schools were following CDC guidelines).  But both the governor and Trump have kids in private schools here (not mine), so it's all political. 

So the County double-downed yesterday, reissuing their order with a citation to a different state statute.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/coronavirus-dc-virginia-maryland/2020/08/05/73ad9d7c-d4c7-11ea-9c3b-dfc394c03988_story.html

I assume this is their way of saying "so, sue us."

We are personally in favor of this because it's causing the schools to be more cautious.  Many that said they were opening are voluntarily switching to October.  We e-mailed our principal asking about distance options but haven't heard back yet. 

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: August 07, 2020, 01:52:53 PM »
So the governor AGAIN overturned the county, and this time the county backed down.  So this means private schools can go in person again. 

Ugh.  Still waiting to hear from school.  Don't know what to do.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2020, 12:31:16 PM »
School is now offering on school or online.

So we will pay for the online for DD in order to remain part of the school and in the event things get better rather than worse we can switch to in person.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2020, 05:43:56 PM »

So we will pay for the online for DD in order to remain part of the school and in the event things get better rather than worse we can switch to in person.
This is basically what we're doing.  I can't tell you how much I hope cases stay low after school opens.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »

This is basically what we're doing.  I can't tell you how much I hope cases stay low after school opens.

I'm not optimistic.  In fact, a lot of the parents I know who are going in person aren't either.  They have older kids and think some real teacher time is just so critical.  So they think "well he'll get a few weeks with the teacher then it's going to be lockdowns again."

I was just reading an article about how it's probably unlikely the coronavirus vaccine is going to be 100% effective, at first it might be as low as 5-60% effective (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/coronavirus-vaccine-dr-fauci-says-chances-of-it-being-highly-effective-is-not-great.html), and of course there are going to be a lot of people who don't want to get the vaccine (not me), which I think means this is going to be more a long term crisis that we just need to adapt to.  But I'm happy we'll get a month of safety to see how things go first.  For better or worse, we're learning every day with this virus. 

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2020, 08:06:31 AM »

I'm not optimistic.  In fact, a lot of the parents I know who are going in person aren't either.  They have older kids and think some real teacher time is just so critical.  So they think "well he'll get a few weeks with the teacher then it's going to be lockdowns again."

I was just reading an article about how it's probably unlikely the coronavirus vaccine is going to be 100% effective, at first it might be as low as 5-60% effective (https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/coronavirus-vaccine-dr-fauci-says-chances-of-it-being-highly-effective-is-not-great.html), and of course there are going to be a lot of people who don't want to get the vaccine (not me), which I think means this is going to be more a long term crisis that we just need to adapt to.  But I'm happy we'll get a month of safety to see how things go first.  For better or worse, we're learning every day with this virus.

That's interesting. Not just the effectiveness of the vaccinne being lowerr, but coupled with that if it is different and changes like the flu, it seems like we could have a virus that is here to stay. Whether that means everyone just lives with it (my first thought) or we maintian some sort of continual distancing/being masked/testing and quarantining situation, I think it's probably a good idea to get mentally prepared for it to be around indefinitely.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2020, 08:58:06 AM »
Hopefully we will get better at treating it and the vaccine may reduce rate of spread.  Also the virus may attenuate (weaken) over time.  But there may be semi-permanent changes such as increased social distancing that have cultural implications. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:02:47 AM by LWYRUP »