Author Topic: Does the covid pandemic have you rethinking school plans?  (Read 19475 times)

mrs sideways

• Stubble
Re: Does the covid pandemic have you rethinking school plans?
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2020, 09:00:14 PM »
Aaaaand DH has been reading up on newly revealed short-term and long-term neurological problems, which appear to be rare but can strike even in mildly symptomatic cases, and now he's dead-set against sending the kids back to class until there's a vaccine. The kids are desperate to get back to regular social interactions, but I'm going to back him up if push comes to shove.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2020, 07:20:38 AM »
I am betting the rich white kid schools will have plenty of room to social distance, based on the conversation here! Good news for us, i suppose.

-W

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2020, 07:49:14 AM »
I am betting the rich white kid schools will have plenty of room to social distance, based on the conversation here! Good news for us, i suppose.

-W

This is actually part of my calculation though. If those of us that can manage it opt for remote learning this year, isn't it better for the teachers and those children that need to be in school as well? If 25% of the class stays home, then you have smaller class sizes and easier social distancing.

marbles4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2020, 08:00:48 AM »
A preview of what to look forward to if the schools do open and depending on what safety protocols they enact:

Yesterday, we got an email from the director of kids' summer day camp. One staff member had tested positive for Covid-19. He/she had not been at the camp since 6/30, but had just gotten the test results back that day.

Per the camp's safety protocols, any campers who had contact with this person (masks were being worn and all contact was outdoors btw), must stay home from camp until the 14 day period beginning on 6/30 has elapsed.

This really only ends up being one day of camp missed since they have been going the past two weeks. There is a daily temp-check for all campers, as well as questions about whether they have symptoms or have come into contact with anyone who tested positive (we have been answering "no" as we obviously didn't know about the staff member until today's afternoon email).

My point ...

Assuming schools open and assuming they enact reasonable safety measures as described above, I suspect the school year will face a lot of fits and starts and kids and teachers having to stay home suddenly as test results come in and quarantine requirements are enforced.

While I desperately want schools to open in person (safely), yesterday really opened my eyes to the chaos and unpredictability that will ensue. And now I think this may actually be worse for working parents than just telling us to prepare to do online only. Sigh.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2020, 08:01:14 AM »
Yeah, everyone who keeps their kid at home makes it a little easier (in theory) for the school. My assumption is still that there will be positive tests pretty much immediately, so it will be interesting to see how that gets handled. Our state/district have a reopening plan - but nowhere in it is the re-closing plan/criteria. I assume they just plan to wing it.

-W

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2020, 08:02:27 AM »

-W

Yes, but what about the many poor, non-white schools? Segregation is alive and well in public education.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2020, 08:08:41 AM »

-W

This is actually part of my calculation though. If those of us that can manage it opt for remote learning this year, isn't it better for the teachers and those children that need to be in school as well? If 25% of the class stays home, then you have smaller class sizes and easier social distancing.

If 25% of the class switches to online learning then wouldn't 25% more teachers be needed for online classes as well? (Hypothetical question) There'd be more physical space in the classrooms but the number of teachers is still an issue. That said, part of my hope with home schooling/eschooling my kid is that it will make things easier for the families that have to send their kids to a brick and mortar school (e.g. a single parent who has to go into work).

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2020, 08:14:35 AM »

-W

Yes, but what about the many poor, non-white schools? Segregation is alive and well in public education.

Yes, that was my point.

-W

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2020, 08:29:30 AM »
I received a message yesterday that our local school system is planning on full day, regular schedule, in class schools for k-12, although parents can opt out and  have online instruction, no hybrid.  My county (Population 650,000) now has 300+ new cases per day.  This morning I saw that Hong Kong (Population 7 million+) closed schools because all of Hong Kong had 38 new cases in a day. My best friend, in a neighboring state with a terrific virus surge, has been told she must teach in person in her graduate level university courses.   I suspect that we will see a huge surge in infections after schools resume; we never had a mask requirement or sufficient closure in my state to get things under control. I think it’s great for schools for reopen where the virus number are low enough, but right now that is not the majority of states.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2020, 08:38:59 AM »

-W

Yes, that was my point.

-W

I knew that.  But I think most folks don't like to examine how their education decisions contribute to systemic racial inequality (i.e., I'm woke, black lives matter! etc, but don't make me question my decision to move to a "good" school district).

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2020, 11:58:58 AM »

-W

If 25% of the class switches to online learning then wouldn't 25% more teachers be needed for online classes as well? (Hypothetical question) There'd be more physical space in the classrooms but the number of teachers is still an issue. That said, part of my hope with home schooling/eschooling my kid is that it will make things easier for the families that have to send their kids to a brick and mortar school (e.g. a single parent who has to go into work).

In our district online learning in the fall is supposed to look a lot like online learning did in the spring - lots of assignments posted online that need to be done by the end of the week. So I think the amount of teachers stays the same.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2020, 12:18:10 PM »

-W

In our district online learning in the fall is supposed to look a lot like online learning did in the spring - lots of assignments posted online that need to be done by the end of the week. So I think the amount of teachers stays the same.

The teachers would almost certainly be doing both. They would have the regular classes and then post an online lecture of the same thing, so it would just be more work for the same number of teachers.

Jen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: July 12, 2020, 07:58:34 AM »
This whole situation is just miserable.  I hired a nanny who was a substitute teacher the night school shut down where I live (in March), and we've had her the whole time.  My son was in Kindergarten and my daughter was in pre-school, my husband and I both work, and without her help, it would have been a very different experience.  We are looking at school in the fall and have basically said, let's keep the kids home in the fall and see what happens with the schools.  If cases spike and teachers/kids get sick, we'll be glad we didn't send them.  If not, they can go in January.  We are hoping to pair up with another family for the fall to get some more social interaction, but if we can't, they are doing OK with just each other.  Honestly, this is a workable solution for us (everyone seems to be doing ok mentally and physically with it), but it is infuriating to me that it has come to this.  Every time I read articles about the educational divide between class and race growing larger, I know it's in part because the vast majority of people can't afford to do what I'm doing. 

appleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: July 12, 2020, 08:18:03 AM »
We just got our district plan last week. Either in person with a ton of restrictions (masks, limited recess, changes to specials to eliminate sharing and contamination, lunch in classroom, etc) or a Virtual Academy, which they say will be more robust than what was rolled out in the spring.

We decided to go with the virtual option (1st and 4th grade). They are giving the higher risk teachers the option to do 100% virtual, so they won't be trying to teach in person and manage the distance students.

A big part of my thinking was that we'll most likely be back in a distance learning situation in the fall (esp. when flu season hits), so we might as well start that way and be prepared. If anyone has advice about a cheap laptop source or recommendation, I need something for my 6yo.

I accept that we have a hell of a lot of privilege to make this choice. My husband and I are both freelance with flexible schedules. We'll also have my mom helping once she retires in the fall, and we couldn't expose her to the kids if they were going to school.

The challenge for me is my almost 4 year old. I'm hoping we can set up a regular grandma preschool schedule for him. I just don't see preschool happening in the fall. The preschool is at the local YMCA and the camp there has already had a few kids with covid19.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2020, 09:25:32 AM »
I'm hoping that one upside is fewer common colds and illnesses. Our kids only started going to school a year ago and had been homeschool before that so didn't have the same level of exposure to common communicable diseases. With four kids in school it felt like at least one of them got sick every month - which generally spread through the rest of the family over the next couple of weeks.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2020, 10:05:23 AM »

The challenge for me is my almost 4 year old. I'm hoping we can set up a regular grandma preschool schedule for him. I just don't see preschool happening in the fall. The preschool is at the local YMCA and the camp there has already had a few kids with covid19.

For the learning parts of preschool, Highlights (the magazine) has some pretty good activity books for different ages and they follow teaching standards.  I got my daughter the general kindergarten one for this summer/possibly this fall, and she's been having a good time working through it.  If she finishes it, they have subject specific ones too, math, reading, critical thinking, etc.  You can get them on their website or Amazon.  I'm sure there's tons of resources out there for homeschool preschool, but I thought I'd share what's working for us.

appleseed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2020, 10:16:53 AM »

For the learning parts of preschool, Highlights (the magazine) has some pretty good activity books for different ages and they follow teaching standards.  I got my daughter the general kindergarten one for this summer/possibly this fall, and she's been having a good time working through it.  If she finishes it, they have subject specific ones too, math, reading, critical thinking, etc.  You can get them on their website or Amazon.  I'm sure there's tons of resources out there for homeschool preschool, but I thought I'd share what's working for us.
Thank you! We did Montessori preschool and I volunteered in the classroom, so we copy a lot of the techniques from the school. I appreciate the suggestion for highlights! Have you see Ask Magazine? My kids love it (6 and 9).

kanga1622

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2020, 11:09:46 AM »
We just got our district plan last week. Either in person with a ton of restrictions (masks, limited recess, changes to specials to eliminate sharing and contamination, lunch in classroom, etc) or a Virtual Academy, which they say will be more robust than what was rolled out in the spring.

We decided to go with the virtual option (1st and 4th grade). They are giving the higher risk teachers the option to do 100% virtual, so they won't be trying to teach in person and manage the distance students.

A big part of my thinking was that we'll most likely be back in a distance learning situation in the fall (esp. when flu season hits), so we might as well start that way and be prepared. If anyone has advice about a cheap laptop source or recommendation, I need something for my 6yo.

I accept that we have a hell of a lot of privilege to make this choice. My husband and I are both freelance with flexible schedules. We'll also have my mom helping once she retires in the fall, and we couldn't expose her to the kids if they were going to school.

Do you need a full laptop for your child? My 10 year old was able to do most of his online school requirements this spring on a $60 Fire tablet. We were able to swap him to the laptop for particular assignments that needed more of a drag/drop or lots of typing. But a Bluetooth keyboard and a tablet might work for many requirements.

EmFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2020, 02:35:38 PM »
The decision to send our kids to school vs keep them home has been absolutely paralyzing, to say the least. Our choice was due on July 10 and literally two hours after I submitted to send mine in-person, I changed my mind again. We were supposed to follow a hybrid model of a couple days in-person and three days virtual, but then it all changed to full in-person or full virtual. I certainly see the benefits of full in-person for dual working families, but I am in no way ready to send my 4th grader, 1st grader, and 4-year-old back full-time. However, knowing that they will be home doing virtual learning while the vast majority of their friends are at school makes me sick.

The pieces that sway me most are that the United States' situation does not look anything like Hong Kong and Belgium where community transmission is low and school is relatively safe. When there is a tiny spike, these areas shut down immediately. The US has wide-spread transmission. My particular state currently has lower numbers at the moment (I say lower but compared to other countries that have proper protocols in place, they are high), but given there were mass gatherings over fourth of July... I'm waiting to see if there is a big uptick in cases.

I also have pediatricians and Covid response doctors in my community refusing to send their children to school. These are parents I know from preschool and my neighborhood and they are telling me I am smart to keep my kids at home. So do I trust the news stories or the actual medical professionals seeing this first hand? I'm going with the latter.

Hopefully everything will go swimmingly in the fall for those who return in-person, cases will stay low and no one will get sick, but I am leery of this. I certainly understand that some children truly need to be in a school setting for safety, nourishment and learning needs, but we are fortunate enough to not be in that situation. Since we also have one at-home parent, it just feels like the best choice for our risk-averse family -- even though it is a very difficult one to make.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2020, 07:10:58 PM »

Thank you! We did Montessori preschool and I volunteered in the classroom, so we copy a lot of the techniques from the school. I appreciate the suggestion for highlights! Have you see Ask Magazine? My kids love it (6 and 9).

No, I haven't.  Thanks for the suggestion:)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2020, 11:05:03 PM »
I had planned to teach some continuing education courses this fall as well as take a few.  Maybe even a college art course.   

Not going to happen.    Can't imagine doing that this winter or spring either.   Hopefully there will be a proven vaccine in place by next summer.

And we won't have 3-10 million dead from this plus 50 times those numbers of folks with debilitating after-effects.

Given the way certain subsets of our population are behaving, I'm not betting on my country, the USA, getting its act together.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2020, 08:27:32 AM »

Do you need a full laptop for your child? My 10 year old was able to do most of his online school requirements this spring on a $60 Fire tablet. We were able to swap him to the laptop for particular assignments that needed more of a drag/drop or lots of typing. But a Bluetooth keyboard and a tablet might work for many requirements.

The $100 refurb'd Chromebook worked decently for us in the spring. 

At this point, I'm sending him back to school.  I don't really have much choice.  I'm not allowed to work from home.  My husband works very part time, but has a host of health issues that mean I can't depend on him to make sure schoolwork gets done.  If/when school ends up cancelled I guess I'll have to set up a classroom at my parents house and hope that they can help. 

I live in a state where a majority of people have drank the just-a-flu-aid so everyone thinks that this is being blown out of proportion.  I'm wondering what's going to happen the first time that a student tests positive.  Does the whole class have to quarantine?  Will the truancy requirements be waived?  Will the teachers be granted extra sick leave? 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »

-W

This is actually one of the thoughts that I have had too.

Look, distance / virtual learning for my 7 yo/ 2nd grader for 3 months was a hot mess.  We both work full time.  It royally sucked.  But.

We survived.

65+% of my son's school is on free lunch (this is the elementary school).  Almost 50% are English learners and we have a large number who are considered homeless.  Some years it's 20%.  Those kids NEED TO BE IN SCHOOL.  You know what?  It's actually easier for the school and safer for everyone if people who CAN do remote learning DO remote learning.

When you've got a K/1st/2nd/3rd grade student, they are NOT doing it themselves - they MUST have a parent basically in the same room during the zoom classes.  How many kids (elementary and junior high) just clocked out at the end of the school year?  I would hear the teacher reminding a few kids about not turning in their homework, and one of the kid's mom used to be a teacher!  Taught at our school for years.  If a teacher can't get her daughter to do her homework...  Honestly, we all should be focusing on being healthy and moving forward.  I've got friends freaking out about their kids getting behind...uh, everyone in the same boat really.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2020, 10:55:09 PM »
I’m starting to think about this as well and there are no good answers at all. We just moved with the intent of checking out whether this new location is a good fit for us. An important aspect of that is whether this school and program in particular will be good for our kids. We are enrolled in the school but waitlisted does the program. At best school will only be two days a week. So if we don’t get into the program we want right away then that is two partial days a week in a program we aren’t interested in...

Currently my two oldest are in an immersion preschool/daycare during the week and it is working well. I just recently started thinking of asking them to keep my oldest on the “at-home learning” days so she can have some continuity there and I can continue to have a couple of full days of only taking care of the baby. As with others, distance learning was tough as we finished up kindergarten. The half an hour a day of Google Hangout call was good (language immersion program) but I felt overwhelmed by the amount of assignments. It took a lot of my energy and focus to get some of that done each day and the est is the household suffered as a result. In the end I was mostly doing my own thing with her and only really cares that she learned some math and we started reading.

Over the summer here I am continuing to teach her to read and preschool is going to start academics with her next month. Later this week she has her evaluation session online for a once-a-week language school that will either be an afternoon a week or Saturday mornings. It is a hodgepodge of random little bits of education all over the place but at least something is happening. I really dread another year of distance learning because that was most definitely not fun. If we weren’t trying hard to get our foot into the door of this school and the waitlisted program in particular I would be tempted to do a homeschool year to just be able to do our own thing.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2020, 06:23:25 AM »

This is actually one of the thoughts that I have had too.

Look, distance / virtual learning for my 7 yo/ 2nd grader for 3 months was a hot mess.  We both work full time.  It royally sucked.  But.

We survived.

65+% of my son's school is on free lunch (this is the elementary school).  Almost 50% are English learners and we have a large number who are considered homeless.  Some years it's 20%.  Those kids NEED TO BE IN SCHOOL.  You know what?  It's actually easier for the school and safer for everyone if people who CAN do remote learning DO remote learning.

I heard yesterday that with the new uptick our district might be totally revamping their plans. And it is inline with the "kids need to be in school but it is better if those who can do remote learning."

So apparently they are considered running multiple "bubbles"- one or two teachers from each grade would be dedicated to the kids who really need to be in school the 4 days a week (we are at 4 days at most, no matter what), either because of childcare or learning needs, etc. The other 1-2 teachers would teach two day pods. 10-12 kids on M/T and 10-12 kids on Th/F. My fingers are crossed that they can actually make that happen because I think it would help serve everyone and be safer.

We pay ungodly amounts of property tax (and just voted on yet another levy last year!) so I'm hopeful that the bougie people who are like "but we can't lose Mandarin classes and rowing team" are open to those tax dollars being used to hire more gen-ed teachers to do something that actually makes a difference in educating all of our kiddos this year.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2020, 07:52:23 AM »
Our district just announced that they are going for full-time, in person (with an option for remote if you're not comfortable with that).

We'll see how it goes, but my kids are ecstatic.

-W

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2020, 09:19:08 AM »
Same here...full in-person school for those that choose to and full remote school for those that choose to. The school district is providing devices and mobile hot spots for any that want to do full remote. We can also choose one option and change over to the other option after the first 9-week period. They were considering a hybrid schedule with a few days in-person and a few days remote each week, but scrapped that plan. I'm glad that we can keep our son at home, and know that others who are able can also, but those that rely on school because they are unable to keep their kids home or because they rely on school food programs to help supplement their children's diet can take advantage of that as well. Seems like a win-win...at least until students or teachers begin getting sick...then I'm not sure they have a plan for that

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2020, 09:43:56 AM »
They already know how to shut down and go full remote, since we already did that once. I mean, it wasn't great, but it's been done.

I don't know if that constitutes a "plan" but I'm sure that's what our district will do if a bunch of students and/or teachers get sick.

-W

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2020, 10:41:45 AM »
I think the issue will be related to who puts together the programming and "teaches" if the teachers are sick. I haven't seen anything addressed regarding contingency if some of the in-person students get sick in terms of does that put the entire class on remote automatically, who fills in if teachers are ill and can't perform their duties, etc. Obviously full remote is the "plan" but a friend on the school board is concerned that haven't prepared for some scenarios outside of that

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »
I can’t imagine who is going to be willing to sub this fall.

OTOH, if I knew the right 3 families who were willing to bubble responsibly, I’d be delighted to take over the at home schooling for a few kids.

mntnmn117

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2020, 05:27:53 PM »
I think all our state's schools are required to be able to switch to remote learning immediately.  Our schools are making a push for younger grades K-2 to be full time. Grades 3-5 will be 2 days a week. I'm excited to get our Kindergarten to school. She's ready for the socialization and online learning sucks when you can't read.

At least in our school for remote learning, 4ea 3rd grade teachers were distributing/sharing lesson planning, ie one makes the math lesson, one makes the English lesson etc. This team effort should help if one of them has to quarantine.

Our schools in the US were rife with inefficiencies and I'm hopeful this is correcting some of that.

9patch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Earth Jubilee
« Reply #131 on: July 15, 2020, 09:18:08 PM »
I registered my son for online school, through k12.com's charter school in Oregon. I'm working from home now, and will be for quite some time. I made the decision because I was thinking about what it would be like when they reopened schools. For example, they have cohorts, so part time in person, part time virtual. Someone at the school gets covid19, they shut down the school for 2 weeks to deep clean. No thanks. I met a mom who teaches virtually, and they said that they have live virtual teaching every day. So I just decided to make the switch over. They will send us a laptop, textbooks, art supplies, science lab materials, and they are experienced with virtual teaching. If at some point in the future, a vaccine is developed, then all 3 of us will get it, and I can go back to work in person, and our son can go back to brick and mortar school. Until that time, I'm embracing the outdoor life, and virtual school and work.

marbles4

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2020, 10:57:20 AM »
I know what's happening here, finally!

Our district's board has voted for full-remote. Each kid gets a 3 day orientation in person at the beginning of school to meet their teacher face to face and learn the technology for virtual learning. Apparently the platform is more robust than the end of last year (fingers crossed!) If cases start dramatically declining or there is a vaccine, I imagine they would consider a move back to in-person.

The mental load of wondering what was going to happen has lifted and now I can plan.

I'm thinking about trying to find a tutor for the 1st grader for 2-ish hours a day; the 4th grader demonstrated last spring that he can be pretty independent with the online learning.

Folks that work at the schools that will be furloughed or lose jobs if in-class school doesn't resume after 6 weeks or so.

J Dough

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2020, 01:17:01 PM »

-W

The teachers would almost certainly be doing both. They would have the regular classes and then post an online lecture of the same thing, so it would just be more work for the same number of teachers.

Our elementary school is having some teachers handle the in-person classroom learning, and other teachers are assigned to the online classes. We aren't asking each teacher to do both in-person and online. This has an added benefit of retaining full-time teachers who wouldn't be in class due to health concerns. I don't know yet what, if any, the change in class sizes will be from this.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: July 16, 2020, 01:48:05 PM »

-W

Our elementary school is having some teachers handle the in-person classroom learning, and other teachers are assigned to the online classes. We aren't asking each teacher to do both in-person and online. This has an added benefit of retaining full-time teachers who wouldn't be in class due to health concerns. I don't know yet what, if any, the change in class sizes will be from this.

That's great. For the experiences in my personal sphere, this would not be the case, but I'm glad it is working out that way for the teachers.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »
It is disheartening how teachers and staff are viewed as absolutely disposable.

EmFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: July 17, 2020, 06:27:32 AM »
It is disheartening how teachers and staff are viewed as absolutely disposable.

I agree. Our teachers were given the choice of in-person teaching or taking FMLA. The entire K-2 elementary staff in my district just submitted a letter to our school board expressing their safety concerns. I don't fully understand why, but I have been told that they are technically not even allowed to write to the school board. This just shows how they worked together to risk their jobs and express many concerns.

As a parent, this paragraph made a lot of sense to me. I think many parents are not fully thinking through what this will look like.
"As educators and experts in early childhood development, we are in agreement that having children in a 'normal school setting' is indisputably what is best for child development and education. However, the setting in which students are being asked to learn and educators are being asked to teach when we return to school is almost unrecognizable as a "normal school setting." Due to the new and necessary health and safety guidelines, our school setting will be, quite literally, the antithesis of the type of setting needed for child development and education."

Our system is requiring desks to be spaced 6 feet, young children to spend the majority of their time at the desk to keep up with social distancing guidelines, they won't be able to collaborate with peers or engage in centers due to social distancing, they can't share items during free play and guided play, and small group guided reading groups and math workshop will become impossible. These are all essential things in a well-developed early childhood curriculum. I know our district is not alone in what this picture actually looks like.

This paragraph stood out for me as well:
"The second rationale that we must consider is the burden placed on parents and caregivers when students are unable to use the physical school building for their learning. This is something for which we deeply emphasize (because many of these teachers have children in school, too) and recognize as a failing of our social constructs. It cannot, however, be the reason that children are sent back to school. Although public schooling has clearly become a means for parents and caregivers to work during the day, this is not its intended purpose."

They also included 60+ questions about safety protocols including (I've paraphrased a few):
"When young children cry the first few days of school, how do we comfort them by adhering to social distancing protocols?"
"When there are bathroom accidents, how do we safely help children change clothes by following social distancing protocols?"
"Children need help opening snacks, lunches, putting on jackets, tying shoes, how do we keep social distance protocols?"
"How do we conduct fire drills, active shooter drills, severe weather drills while following social distance guidelines?"
"Will we need to document each time a child removes his/her face covering so that we can be aware of possible exposure?"
"Are parents aware of what social distancing will look like in the classroom... masks worn all day, children will be sitting in chairs for long periods of time and cannot engage in play too closely, children will have to do more seat work rather than small group work?"
"Will we be getting another printer to make worksheets? Movement choice, group projects will be hard to do under current restraints and more busy work will be necessary."
"Will students be allowed to sing or play instruments?"
"Can lids be installed to cover toilets as they are flushed? Studies show that aerosol droplets from flushing can carry the virus three feet in the air and cover bathroom surfaces."
"What are the options for staff with underlying health issues? Are the only options to return to work and risk dying or lose our job?"
"What about the child whose nose is always runny?"

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: July 17, 2020, 08:37:19 AM »

Our district's board has voted for full-remote. Each kid gets a 3 day orientation in person at the beginning of school to meet their teacher face to face and learn the technology for virtual learning. Apparently the platform is more robust than the end of last year (fingers crossed!) If cases start dramatically declining or there is a vaccine, I imagine they would consider a move back to in-person.

The mental load of wondering what was going to happen has lifted and now I can plan.

The three day orientation is a really good idea! I agree the mental load is huge chunk of the pre-school covid agita.

We just heard our likely plan this morning. They vote officially next week, but 4/5 school board members have already indicated their support of the plan.

I'm not at all sure how ours will work from a childcare perspective - but I think it is very smart from a health/and educating the kids perspective.

They are planning on having a responsive schedule that is coordinated with our state's alert system. So level 4 (our worst) will have everyone on home learning. In levels levels 2-3, Grades 6-12 will be split up cohorts two days a week w/ three days of home learning - elementaries will stay at four days at school.  And level one will have everyone back in school four days a week. They are also offering full time online learning w/ one day a week optional face to face meetings w/ teachers for those that would prefer to stay home. 

They are also doing no bussing for highschool and using all the buses for elementary - Jr. high.

This feels designed to encourage those who want their kids in school full time to wear masks and be careful. In our area there seems to be a huge overlap between people who refuse to wear masks and those that are insisting schools be open full time. So they seem to be codifying the "wear masks to get your kids in school full time" thing here.

I am pretty impressed by this plan, but again, have no idea how it will work for those parents that can't work from home.

*ETA - I'm still not sure if I'm sending mine or not. I would definitely send them if the elementaries also did 2-day weeks at the higher alert levels. I'm not thrilled with four days a week in classes of 25-30 kids.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 09:50:52 AM by StarBright »

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #138 on: July 17, 2020, 08:41:44 AM »
Retired guy here.  My high schoolers are staying home no matter what they decide.  One of my son's sports mates gave it to his mother.  She ended up in the hospital, one step away from a ventilator.  No, thanks.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: July 17, 2020, 10:16:43 AM »
Our school district announced 100% online learning for at least the first 9 weeks of school, so the decision has been made.

I am hoping that the online learning will be similar to what it was in the spring, where assignments were posted and the kids learn more or less on their own, with periodic emailing or drop in zoom session if there are questions.  I really, REALLY hope it is not 5 hours of zoom classes a day-- that would be a massive pain and waste of time for my kid, who does OK with self-directed learning.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #140 on: July 17, 2020, 10:21:39 AM »
We had the option of full remote or full in person. That all changed yesterday with it now going full remote.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: July 17, 2020, 11:08:53 AM »
Man, the poor kids are so f'd. It's looking like most of the country is going remote only (probably smart) with basically no consideration of how childcare/parents working is actually going to happen.

A lost semester of school is an academic death sentence for a lot of kids. I wish we had competent leadership and the collective willingness to spend money on things that matter. Sigh.

-W

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #142 on: July 17, 2020, 01:05:21 PM »
Man, the poor kids are so f'd. It's looking like most of the country is going remote only (probably smart) with basically no consideration of how childcare/parents working is actually going to happen.

A lost semester of school is an academic death sentence for a lot of kids. I wish we had competent leadership and the collective willingness to spend money on things that matter. Sigh.

-W

Possible solution: an extra year of schooling, for everyone, but especially K-5? 8? Whatever. Ask the teachers, they're the experts.

It won't happen though. The US is too fucked up right now.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: July 17, 2020, 05:08:39 PM »
Yep, so California is going to start full remote for all counties who are on the watch list.  Which is all but the most rural counties.  The state is going to throw a lot of money at it though, for infrastructure, etc.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #144 on: July 17, 2020, 05:13:10 PM »

-W

Possible solution: an extra year of schooling, for everyone, but especially K-5? 8? Whatever. Ask the teachers, they're the experts.

It won't happen though. The US is too fucked up right now.
I think it's really tricky on so many levels. As it is, in our school, there are multiple levels in a classroom.  It can't be easy to teach that way.  Studies have shown, however, that it does help the lower performing students to be in a classroom with higher performing students.

So a few years ago, that meant my son's 4th grade teacher had kids at 1st grade math and 7th grade math levels.  My other son's 2nd grade class had students reading 5th grade books and some still learning sight words, like kindergarten and first grade.  But nobody wants to hold kids back - except for the rich families.  Red shirting is such a thing.  And that's because there are advantages.

What is the right answer?  I don't know.  Grouping kids by level?  Not letting them move on until they pass the grade?  I mean, in reality - it's not a race (though you'd never get some of the upper middle class families to admit that).  Children learn at their own rates, and shouldn't we all be okay with that?

I have no answers.  Just questions.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2020, 12:09:00 PM »
Nobody knows the answers because there is no magic want to wave.

Grandson’s preK program sent out their plan for fall and it sounded great. Two days later, the school district announced they’d be online only.

Academically - it’s fine. He reads on a 3rd grade level, I’d estimate. But he *is* missing the social interaction and there really is no way to make that happen.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2020, 01:24:41 PM »
We pulled our kids at the end of the last school year and put them into full year home school...I couldn’t see anyway the regular school would be able to meet their needs.  So far, it’s worked out really great for us.  They’ve been working through 2nd and 4th grade this summer, might as well do school when you’re stuck away from everyone anyway, and seem to be liking it.

I don’t work full time and spend most of my time at home anyway.  It’s a change, but a good one I think we’ll keep up even when school starts again. 

When I first started reading this thread, I nearly choked on my bon-bon when it was suggested that sahps be conscripted to go into schools and teach.  Before the pandemic, I was in the schools teaching science labs, helping kids who were behind in reading, and being a volunteer lunch lady/recess aide.  But, I don’t see how my choosing to stay home (be retired, work part time, be a home economist, whatever) makes me a available to teach.  Maybe if I were unemployed and looking for work...like instead of extending the supplemental unemployment they could offer sub contracts to people who want to make money above and beyond they’re regular unemployment benefits. 

Although, from a development/safety perspective, having a revolving door of new adults coming and going in schools as people get sick or quarantined, people get other jobs, class sizes change and move from 2 to 3 to 5 days, could lead to more and different negative outcomes.  Uncertainty, fear, and regular change are not good for promoting resiliency or healthy development. 

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2020, 01:59:50 PM »
To be fair, I never said "conscript". I said "recruit". I in no way intended to suggest that anyone be forced to do anything. I still think it's a good idea (and in fact am getting my background check done now).

-W

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2020, 02:53:08 PM »
Well, good, because they are going to need tons of subs and those are already hard to find.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2020, 03:48:10 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how it's going to work, since we have an 11 month old at home. Maybe pawn her off on a neighbor if my wife and I both need to go in, I suppose.

-W