Author Topic: Do your LOs wake up crying?  (Read 3624 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Do your LOs wake up crying?
« on: December 05, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
Hey all,

I have a 2yr old and a 9mo old. Every morning, I've noticed the 2yr old wakes up crying. We put him down late like usually anywhere between 9:30-10pm and he typically wakes up between 8:45-9:30am each morning. Usually it involves him slowly waking up then getting up and standing in his crib and wailing until we get him. I would assume this is a pretty normal occurrence but I thought about it more and was just curious as to what other people have experienced. I'm sure it varies child to child. He doesn't necessarily seem tired - I think he's probably just bored and whiny, and wants out. Sometimes he'll keep crying (like he's having a tantrum) even after we take him out of the crib though.

What are your experiences?

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Do your LOs wake up crying?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 10:15:30 AM »
DS used to. Now (almost 2) he wakes more quietly and will sit quietly in his crib. I think the crying for him was related to being hungry and wanting his morning milk. Now, that hes eating more food, he's less complainy in the mornings.

Chrissy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »
Yes.  DD is almost 2, and wakes up unhappy.  In the middle of the night, which happens about 3-4x/wk, it's for a diaper change/feed.  In the morning, she needs some cuddles then breakfast.

The exception to the rule is if I've taken her to bed with me for some reason.  Then she sleeps longer or straight through, and wakes up happy, saying hi, giving hugs & kisses, etc.

FYI, she sleeps 8p-6a (approx).

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 06:19:28 PM »
My oldest used to do this almost like clockwork. She eventually grew out of it, and started just getting out and coming into our room. The funny thing is that she was able to get out of bed and her room before she stopped crying and having us go in to get her, not the other way around. Maybe she just needed to mature to a certain point.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »
My 3-year-old woke up crying almost every morning and from almost every nap until she was 2 or 2 1/2. She still wakes up crying occasionally.

My 9-month-old rarely wakes up crying. Even as a newborn, she'd typically wake up quietly, then slowly escalate into fussing then crying if I didn't get her. So I think it varies a lot by kid.

FireLane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:06:30 PM »
Our 1-year-old does the same thing, standing up in his crib and crying. Usually it's just because he doesn't like being alone in his room and wants us to come get him.

Depending on how well he slept, he's often cranky after waking up and wants to be held for a while before he's ready to eat or to go play. I can sympathize, I'm not really a morning person either.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »
OUr 16 month old does wake up crying from his naps frequently, but in the morning he doesn’t. We usually wake up around the same time as him and check the monitor. If we oversleep, he’ll let out a loud “WAH!” once or twice to get our attention and then wait quietly.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 09:39:54 AM »
Yea, he wails till we get him pretty much. Sometimes, especially recently for some reason (maybe it's colder or because it's so windy and noisy), he's been waking up at least half an hour earlier. Yesterday he woke up a few hours before he normally gets up!

Our other one will only wail when she wakes up hungry usually. If she wakes up on her own she's usually in a pretty good mood and will just lay there and maybe groan a little until we get her. If she's waiting too long of course, she'll start crying more. My son is more dramatic in this area though, for sure.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:05:14 AM »
My 3-year-old woke up crying almost every morning and from almost every nap until she was 2 or 2 1/2. She still wakes up crying occasionally.

My 9-month-old rarely wakes up crying. Even as a newborn, she'd typically wake up quietly, then slowly escalate into fussing then crying if I didn't get her. So I think it varies a lot by kid.

Similar experience - youngest did it for over two years upon each waking; oldest never did it.

Kmp2

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 11:53:08 AM »
My oldest almost always woke up happy and babbling, and was generally good in her crib sometimes for a very long time :).

My youngest would cry I don't think he was as happy being wet and definitely he was hungrier in the mornings!. But he's now almost two and as he gains more words he cries less... instead he yells 'Dad!' 'Daaaadyyy' and 'Daaaaaaad' :)... but last week he experimented with a nasty wail to see if we'd get him sooner. He got his sister instead, and she tried to sing him lullabies to calm him down, it was pretty adorable - but he didn't try it again.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 06:50:05 AM »
2.5 year old daughter does this ~75% of the time.

One exception -- this Thanksgiving, we were at my inlaws and she was napping in the guest room.  The kitchen was loud, so DW and I kept checking the door (the room is pretty good, but not truly child proof).  At one check, I thought I heard some crinkling, so I opened the door.  DD was sitting on the floor, happy as a clam, with her lunch box (full of snacks) open in front of her.  It had been on the dresser.  I picked up an empty pouch (which she had re-covered after finishing) and said "I'll put this in the garbage".  She handed me a box of raisins and said "take this too".  She'd eaten all the raisins and closed the box. :)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »
2.5 year old daughter does this ~75% of the time.

One exception -- this Thanksgiving, we were at my inlaws and she was napping in the guest room.  The kitchen was loud, so DW and I kept checking the door (the room is pretty good, but not truly child proof).  At one check, I thought I heard some crinkling, so I opened the door.  DD was sitting on the floor, happy as a clam, with her lunch box (full of snacks) open in front of her.  It had been on the dresser.  I picked up an empty pouch (which she had re-covered after finishing) and said "I'll put this in the garbage".  She handed me a box of raisins and said "take this too".  She'd eaten all the raisins and closed the box. :)
^Great story! Glad you wrote it down so you won't forget it. I'm sure there will be lots more to come.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »
Our 1-year-old does the same thing, standing up in his crib and crying. Usually it's just because he doesn't like being alone in his room and wants us to come get him.

Depending on how well he slept, he's often cranky after waking up and wants to be held for a while before he's ready to eat or to go play. I can sympathize, I'm not really a morning person either.

This was DD.  She started to fling herself out of her crib by 16 months, and we had to move her to a mattress on the floor by 18mos (it was a long fall), which meant she would be free to roam and come into our room.  I did not get very much sleep in those days because I had one ear open for any sound from her, to make certain I knew if she ever tried to leave her room, and to get there first.

But, she was definitely crying to be let out of the crib.  After we removed the crib, she may get grumpy after 30 minutes, but she did not cry upon waking up.