Author Topic: Cousin Camp 2017 - need free activity ideas  (Read 5023 times)

Landlady

• Stubble
Cousin Camp 2017 - need free activity ideas
« on: August 24, 2016, 06:17:47 PM »
My husband and I are throwing around the idea of starting a summer cousin camp for the kids in our families since many of the aunts/uncles can't afford a traditional stay away summer camp. Also we want to our son to get to know the more distant cousins by letting their parents simply drop their kid off for the week with us.

We own lots of old tents, sleeping bags and mats for camping as well as many rafts for floating the local river. We already live in the woods in a really good camp-like location but it's been a while since I've been to camp.

We are thinking the max # would be about 10 kids ages 8-16. We may have to recruit grandpa and some aunties as "counselors". What is a good kid to counselor ratio at camp?

So remind me, what are the coolest cousin camp ideas that are free or nearly free that we could arrange for our Cousin Camp.

Some ideas I had:
-easy overnight backpacking trip
-rafting down the river nearby
-write your own ghost story, then tell it by the campfire that night
-nerf gun games

abhe8

• Bristles
Re: Cousin Camp 2017 - need free activity ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 06:21:10 PM »
I would go with what the kids like to do. Bike rides? Crafts, sewing, knitting, etc. Cardboard boat contest. Fishing.

Landlady

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 06:26:04 PM »
Card board boat contest is a great idea! Also I do know how to knit so I could teach that one day if the kids are interested.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »
Tie dying tee shirts and/or bandanas.

Find rocks and painting them.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 07:29:36 PM »
Everything I know about sleep away camp I learned from reading kids' books, but I get the impression any Boy Scouts-type activity might be suitable.  Foraging, learning about local flora and fauna, basic outdoor survival skills, swimming lessons or hiking, okay someone* help me here I'm totally out of material at this point.  :)

This is a neat idea, and so nice of you to do for your extended family.

* Prospector, man, where are you???

bogart

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »
Sounds great. 

Find, and dam, a stream that runs into the river.  Find cool rocks -- collect the little ones and climb the big ones (bearing in mind that kids find LOTS of rocks cool).  Find flat rocks and skip them.  Find cool plants.  Pick berries (if available) and eat them.  Observe and/or catch (and release) crawdads and/or snakes (non-venomous, obviously) and assorted bugs.  Teach the kids to whittle (one of the camps my son goes to lets the littler kids do this using vegetable peelers and it astounds me how much pleasure he derives from this).  Build forts.  Play capture the flag, kick the can, and/or tag.  Have a scavenger hunt.  Explore different techniques for building a fire (flint, magnifying glass, matches ...). 

I think the outdoor camps my elementary schooler goes to have about 4 kids per adult, though some of those adults are youngish teenagers, really (counselors in training) -- but old enough to supervise when themselves supervised.  Things to consider will include how to manage when an adult wants a break (or you can stagger shifts, or days) and how you'll manage if someone (kid or adult) is sick or injured -- you want a bit of redundancy, ideally, but if there's also the option of a safe retreat spot (e.g. you can go to the house in a pinch), this is less of an issue.  You may want to plan some activities for stormy days, or at least think through where you'll go (if anywhere different) and how you'll manage that sort of thing.

CupcakeGuru

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 04:50:53 AM »
My mom and aunt do a camp with my kids every year where they see some cousins and friends. The things they do:
kid cook out night, the kids come up with the dinner plans and cook everything
Baking (they create a huge mess but they all have a blast)
Cookie decorating - bake all different types of cookies and then decorate them
Lanyards & bracelet making
Finger knitting
Hiking
Tie dye t-shirts or blank white shirts and color them with fabric paint markers
Outdoor movie night (projector and white sheet)
Coconut painting (they are in south Florida)
They also have a table set up with a couple of puzzles (great for rainy days)
Bingo night
Skit night
Board games
Card games

My kids and the cousins & friends have a blast just being together!
This is a fabulous way for all of them to spend time together. I hope you enjoy!

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 02:28:40 PM »
staring at clouds
watching trees blow in the wind
bird watching
slow walks in  a forest

leave lots of free time to just be a kid somewhere where it is quiet.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 03:08:07 PM »
Slip and slide in the yard
Field day games (three-legged race, egg on a spoon...)
Painting projects - learn to paint faces, paint a fence together... at that age they could do some home improvement stuff too (don't discount the educational value of swinging a hammer) - maybe build a hammock shelter in the back yard for hanging out, or a FORT or tree house
Creek splashing/stomping/wandering with picnic lunches
Field trips to farms to pick fruits/flowers/veggies
Cooking - teach them how to plan a meal, go to the grocery store & find the ingredients, come home and cook it for all the other campers (make it their choice, even if all they want is hot dogs and ice cream it's still a valuable life skill)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 04:15:44 PM »
I love this idea so much! So generous of you!

One of the few things I enjoyed from my time in the Brownies (which was mostly just cookies and tiedye--I wanted nothing more than to be a Cub Scout and go get dirty) was that the handbook had a list of trail signs. Our troupe leader went out ahead of time and laid a bunch of trail signs, and we had to follow them. There may have been some sort of prize at the end? I don't remember; I enjoyed the activity itself that much.

Obviously will require some setup time, and probably won't work if you don't have some sort of foresty area or big park nearby.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2016, 04:31:34 PM »
We've gotten pretty good at finding less-expensive, one-week, sleepaway camps.

1. Scout Camp -- Of course, your kid has to be in scouts. But our 11-year-old goes to one-week camps in the summer that cost us about $300. We leave him off on Saturday and pick him up a week later. Heck, sometimes another Scout parent takes him. There are two separate camps.

2. Church Camp -- Our (Catholic) diocese runs a service-oriented camp where they convert a Catholic high school into a dorm of sorts for the week, taking furniture out of classrooms and kids sleeping on air mattresses. You leave kid off and they're shuttled around doing service work all week. Good for the sake of it, of course, but they also earn service hours that can be applied to all manner of things. It's $250 a kid starting at age 11.

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »
Scavenger hunt or nature bingo - each kid gets a grid with pictures of leaves and critters to find.  Pictures are good for toddlers, but older kids could do a more traditional scavenger hunt with words and maps.

Geocaching, if you have a handheld GPS unit.

Save your TP tubes and do crafts - binoculars, horns, and we even made an octopus this week at my house (color the top with a face, cut the bottom into eight "legs").

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 10:41:14 AM »
DD went to camp this year and loved their version of Live action role play.

first -- make armour / costume out of poster paints, tape, cardboard.  create a role.
then -- games like capture the flag, using foam noodle "swords".

Kids love water gun/balloon fights, organized relay races, or playing field hockey / mini soccer.
Archery,  knife throwing at targets.
Teenagers like learning to light a fire with flint and steel, making fire starters.

Ratio is 2 adults to 10 kids aged 8+ at all times,nice to have third person to make lunch / dinner / snacks.   For family, with good responsible older kids, you can use less adults.   This is so that the kid that skins knees can be helped, while the others are having fun with the leader, or splitting activities.  If the teens don't mind leading an activity or supervising, then just 1 adult will do.

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 01:44:42 PM »
Awesome idea!

Theater sports (as called in Canada) or Improv would be a great option for a camp like this!

Here is a master list of lots of the games and instructions:http://improvencyclopedia.org/games/

But there are tons of sites out there. Great for team-building, building confidence and generally, just a lot of fun! Also...cheap!

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 01:50:23 PM »
What about a scavenger hunt in your woods?

bognish

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 12:05:24 PM »
Plaster mold for animal footprints. Mix up some plaster of paris. Cut the bottom out of plastic food containters (yogurt, sour cream etc). Find or make a print on a wet river bank. Put the container over the print fill with plaster and let it set.