Author Topic: Car seat recommendation  (Read 1721 times)

catan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Car seat recommendation
« on: February 17, 2017, 06:12:21 AM »
I recently purchased a used car. We lived in cities before we moved and didn't drive much, so I had a lightweight Cosco Scenera for my toddler, mainly used while traveling.

Now we might be driving almost daily so I am thinking whether I should get a better seat for my 26-month-old toddler. She's about 40" and 25 lbs, so she's been forward-facing in the Scenera. I'm not comfortable with that at her age.

Any recommendations? I'm overwhelmed at the options out there.

ForeignServiceWife

• Stubble
Re: Car seat recommendation
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 07:25:41 AM »
Www.csftl.org

Www.carseatblog.com

Www.carseatlady.com

Www.babygearlab.com

Www.carseatexperts.com

These are all wonderful resources. Car seats for the littles has a Facebook page you can join where certified child passenger safety technicians will help you find the right seat for your car and your child and help with installation issues. We bought the Clek Foonf. It is one of the safest seats on the market (we do a lot of driving) and it actually ends up not being that expensive over the life of the seat. Due to high weight and height limits it should last our daughter to age six or seven, when she can go directly to a belt positioning booster. However, there are many less expensive and highly rated seats with great longevity. Look for a list on each website of recommended car seats. The Graco Forever is one that comes to mind.

Acorns

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 05:55:52 PM »
I am a big fan of the Diono Radian car seat. I have two kids currently in them now and they find them very comfortable. These car seats are extremely safe with a steel frame. Would you consider turning your daughter around and facing her backwards until she is at least three? It is much safer this way. The Diono radian goes from rear-facing harnessed to forward facing harnessed and can be used as a high-back booster with a seat belt, so it can really work from infancy until the child is ready to sit without a booster seat. You definitely get your money's worth out of this seat.

nvmama

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 07:04:45 AM »
Consumer reports recently rated convertable car seats.  I actually just purchased a Cosco Scenera NEXT car seat for my 18 month out.  It was one of Consumer reports top 5 recommended seats and its designed to fit 3 acrosse, which I need with 3 kids.  The only down side is that it only hold up to 40 pounds.  However, as this is for my youngest, by the time he's 40 pounds he should fit in a high back booster.

Another option Cunsumer reports rated high was the Evenflo Sureride seat.  It cost fron $85-100 depending on website.  This seat works for kids up to 65 pounds.  I seriously considered this one.  However, my 6 yr old isn't even 65 pounds so I couldn't imagine actually using it that long. But for a first child it would have been great as I could have convinced them to be in a 5 point hardness longer.