Author Topic: Best online consignment?  (Read 2385 times)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Best online consignment?
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:41:36 AM »
I have a lot of infant clothes that need to go.  I don't really want to take the time to list on ebay.

Other than ThredUp (which I'm not sure these will meet the quality standards- they are clean, but obviously used) does anyone recommend an online consignment store?  We don't have good consignment options where I live.

tyrannostache

• Bristles
Re: Best online consignment?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 11:44:10 AM »
I'm interested in this as well. Honestly, though, I don't think there are a lot of options for decent baby consignment. I've done both Ebay and ThredUp and been pretty disappointed, even when sellling high-quality items.

For the baby clothes that came to me used, I've found that the path of least resistance is to give them a week on my city's "baby classifieds" facebook group. If I don't get any takers, I'll donate to our local YWCA, which runs a shelter and a thrift store.

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 09:51:45 AM »
Do you need to sell them? Could you give them away?  If you are on Facebook, there are several "Buy Nothing Project - [town name]" and "Everything is Free - [town name]" groups on Facebook.  They tend to be parent heavy and circulate a lot of free baby / kid stuff.  If you give away your baby clothes, you may find that you also receive something for free that you need from another member.  Given that the baby clothes market is pretty saturated as well, you'll have to decide whether its worth your time / energy to try to get money for it.  I think the "good feels" of giving it away can be more rewarding, but that's just me.  :)

brycedoula

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 11:42:22 AM »
I would personally bag them up by size (NB-3 months, 6 months, etc) and post on Craigslist (or local equivalent) and sell them as lots. Or see if local churches or parent groups have any big semi-annual clothing/toy sales & sell them there.

Do you have a local chapter of You Can't Spoil A Baby on Facebook? You can always donate new/gently used clothing & items to families in need if you don't end up selling them.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 12:07:16 PM »
Do you need to sell them? Could you give them away?  If you are on Facebook, there are several "Buy Nothing Project - [town name]" and "Everything is Free - [town name]" groups on Facebook.  They tend to be parent heavy and circulate a lot of free baby / kid stuff.  If you give away your baby clothes, you may find that you also receive something for free that you need from another member.  Given that the baby clothes market is pretty saturated as well, you'll have to decide whether its worth your time / energy to try to get money for it.  I think the "good feels" of giving it away can be more rewarding, but that's just me.  :)

I give a ton on Buy Nothing Project.  That's actually part of the reason I want online consignment.  I'm looking to recoup some of the money I spent on clothes (very little, really)- but I've been gifted so much, that I can't fell on facebook. I've lost track of what I bought new and what was gifted; so I've gifted the same (well more, really) quantity I got, and want to sell some- but I don't want anyone to see me sell something they gave me, in case I misremember what I bought.  (I bought some used grab bags so I don't really know well what was in them.  I've bought a total of 3 things new...)

Sweetpotatofries

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 04:10:22 PM »
There's really not much of a market even for worn-once really nice baby items because it's so saturated. Everyone receives a ton of baby clothes as gifts that they never get to wear half of. In our local resale groups, etc. what moves are the high-end strollers and cribs on resale for 50% or less than retail. Even selling those fancy $30 Ralph Lauren Baby outfits as a bundle of 3 for $10, I rarely see bites. Sorry! I'd donate.

AnotherCanuckStasher

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Best online consignment? - Lego Only
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »
We have just donated clothing but I wanted to share a site for selling used lego.  I created a www.bricklink.com account this summer and listed my kids 15-20 lego sets because they seemed to be worth very little in local online ads.  It took awhile to make a sale but after about 8 months I've sold 7 items, some of them were quite expensive so it's generated a few hundred dollars.  It's also a good learning experience for me and the kids.

jcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 12:17:18 PM »
You may have luck with a local brick-and-mortar consignment shop. I have a few in my area (Seattle). You get more $ if you opt for store-credit. I save the nicer brands of clothes and toys and drop them off and see what I can get. My last lot (2 bags of stuff) got me $60 in credit. It's a real win-win because you can trade-in unneeded items and purchase needed items at discounted consignment options- which at this store are actually competitive with Goodwill or other "low-price" used stores. My go-to place donates the stuff she can't sell in her shop to a local charity so nothing goes to waste.

thegeebees

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 06:03:13 AM »
My best luck has come from making lots according to size and posting them on Craigslist. I also put them on area Facebook kid's only sale groups. I price them according to what is currently up for sale and how many pieces. Including little items like pairs of socks, hats, gloves drives up the number you are selling and makes people feel like they're getting a more complete wardrobe. Example: "3-6 month baby boy lot, 100 pieces for $20".
I have to politely disagree on the point of the market being saturated as previous posters said. Consignment stores and online stores are saturated and you get very little for your money but I made about $100 the last time I sold 4 lots of clothes via FB groups/Craigslist.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!