Author Topic: Babyproofing for toddler independence later on  (Read 7018 times)

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Babyproofing for toddler independence later on
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2018, 11:37:17 AM »
However, about one million children have flushed toys down the toilet and clogged it up.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2018, 11:51:27 AM »
Could someone send me a news link to a toddler who fell into a toilet and drowned?

I think most parents are more worried about all the things they try to flush down them, or that they just like to play and splash in them.

Yes, you can drown in less than an inch. But as deep as my anxiety is, I've never heard of a toddler drowning in a toilet

I personally was involved in the resuscitation of one child. They didn’t make it. Obviously it’s anecdotal but children can fall in and not get out.

Wow, that's awful. 

So far, she has never been in the bathroom unattended, but good to know I have another worry to add to my list.

(We have turned all our handles around in our house between right opening and left opening doors, so now everything locks from the outside and she can no longer do the latch doors. All the rooms have a quarter inside the doorframe to release the lock in case you get stuck.)

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2018, 08:54:13 PM »
Switching the handles around is a good idea, hadn't heard of it before. Our son recently figured out how to lock the front door (only exterior one). So far hasn't figured out how to unlock it, but I'm sure that'll happen this week. Any advice on how to fix that?

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 05:07:12 AM »
Switching the handles around is a good idea, hadn't heard of it before. Our son recently figured out how to lock the front door (only exterior one). So far hasn't figured out how to unlock it, but I'm sure that'll happen this week. Any advice on how to fix that?

You can change to a keyed lock. (on the inside, too)  Obviously there are other inconveniences there, but would address this worry.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »

A lot of people install a bar lock higher than 5 feet.