Author Topic: Baby Alwayslearning due May! Help us with our registry!  (Read 14439 times)

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Baby Alwayslearning due May! Help us with our registry!
« on: December 28, 2015, 10:31:58 AM »
Hi everyone! Thanks to everyone who helped with the pre-planning post. We decided to move up our "trying" date, thinking it would take us a little while to become pregnant. Luckily, we became pregnant right away and our first little baby is due in May.

I was hoping to get some Mustachian help with the gender neutral baby registry. We are hoping to keep it as simple as possible, but also want to make sure we are not missing anything really helpful.

We already have:
1. Pack and Play with changing insert, mattress, sheets and newborn level (from garage sale) - Hoping to use this as the newborn bassinet and changing table combo.
2. Dishwasher nipple and plastic part holder - From garage sale
3. Baby Play Jumper - From garage sale
4. Easy to use stroller - From garage sale
5. Baby swaddles - From family
6. Baby zip up sleepers- From family
7. a few bibs- from family
8. Plastic baby high chair seat that straps to a regular chair - Garage sale
I will probably buy a swing or bouncer at a garage sale in the Spring.

On Registry:
1. Disposable and cloth diapers - We want to do disposable early on and then try out cloth once we have a little more of a routine
2. 2 Convertible Car Seats - Expensive, but is rear facing up to 40 lbs, which I love
3. Crib - Cheap and simple, but has great reviews
4. Crib mattress and sheets
5. Bibs - I hear you need a lot of these
6. BEABA baby food processor - I know this is an extra, but it seems to be really nice to use while carrying a baby.
7. Breastmilk freezer bags
8. Baby medicines (tylenol, diaper cream, nail clippers, etc)
9. Pacifiers
10. Baby mittens for scratching
11. Sound Machine for soothing (I hear this is nice to have)
12. Baby bath supplies (organic baby soap, bathtub, towels)
13. Wrap (K'tan) - Maybe a Ergo when the baby is bigger?
14. Baby Mirror
15. Baby bowls and glass bottles

Is there anything big I am missing? What was helpful with your baby? Thanks in advance for your help!

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 10:34:59 AM by alwayslearning »

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
Re: Baby Alwayslearning due May! Help us with our registry!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »
Congrats!   A baby is wonderful news!  With a baby you don't need everything right away.  The first 2 months all they really need is food, clean diapers, and sleep.

Cloth diapers are awesome, but they can be expensive too.  We are using them with our (now) 3 months old and love them.

We have flat folds (which I love) and prefolds (which Mr. D loves).  We still use disposables at night and when we are out but 1 pack of disposables will last us about a month.  We use pocket diaper covers in one size. 

I would skip the hand mittens for scratching because they always fall off.  Instead ask for socks, but not  those short ones, you want the long ones because they will go to all the way to shoulder of the baby and are hard for the baby to take them off.

I had a boba wrap and loved it until she got to be about 10 lbs, then it felt like no matter how I tied it, she wouldn't stay in the proper position.  I used it during the early days at home just carrying her close while I cooked, ate, walked, etc.  We do have an Ergo 360 and love it!  It took a while to figure out how to put it on by myself, but we just traveled for the holidays and it was so nice having hands free at the airport.  The Ergo really made it so easy to navigate the airport that I started to feel sorry for the people I saw trying to juggle baby, diaper bag, and stroller.

Baby bowls and spoons you don't need until they are about 4 months old. 

We have about 24 bibs (all gifts) and only use 3-4 a day.  Since we are using cloth diapers we do baby laundry each day would could thrive on only having 4 bibs total.

We were given several baby bath towels and robes, but we find using a beach towel works best and use regular size wash cloths. 

I've never used it but the BEABA baby food processor seems unnecessary.  If you already own a blender then you can use that.  Puree the food, put it in an ice cube tray, put try in freezer and only take out what you need.

I would add a rocking chair to your baby registry.

Sorry for the long response, but I hope this helps. 

Edit:  Our baby is 3.5 months old and still sleeping in a bassinet. We will transition her to the crib in a couple more weeks when she is over 12 lbs.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:22:58 AM by MrsDinero »

COlady

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 11:20:47 AM »
Hi everyone! Thanks to everyone who helped with the pre-planning post. We decided to move up our "trying" date, thinking it would take us a little while to become pregnant. Luckily, we became pregnant right away and our first little baby is due in May.

I was hoping to get some Mustachian help with the gender neutral baby registry. We are hoping to keep it as simple as possible, but also want to make sure we are not missing anything really helpful.

We already have:
1. Pack and Play with changing insert, mattress, sheets and newborn level (from garage sale) - Hoping to use this as the newborn bassinet and changing table combo.
2. Dishwasher nipple and plastic part holder - From garage sale
3. Baby Play Jumper - From garage sale
5. Baby swaddles - From family
6. Baby zip up sleepers- From family
7. a few bibs- from family
8. Plastic baby high chair seat that straps to a regular chair - Garage sale
I will probably buy a swing or bouncer at a garage sale in the Spring.

On Registry:
1. Disposable and cloth diapers - We want to do disposable early on and then try out cloth once we have a little more of a routine
2. 2 Convertible Car Seats - Expensive, but is rear facing up to 40 lbs, which I love
3. Crib - Cheap and simple, but has great reviews
6. BEABA baby food processor - I know this is an extra, but it seems to be really nice to use while carrying a baby.
8. Baby medicines (tylenol, diaper cream, nail clippers, etc)
9. Pacifiers
11. Sound Machine for soothing (I hear this is nice to have)
13. Wrap (K'tan) - Maybe a Ergo when the baby is bigger?
14. Baby Mirror

Is there anything big I am missing? What was helpful with your baby? Thanks in advance for your help!

I would pass on the baby mittens and get newborn sized zip up sleep and plays with hand covers. We went to a baby safety class and they said that since babies stick everything in their mouths that they can get the hand covers stuck in their mouths and that it's better to get the sleep and plays with hand covers attached. Made sense to me and I never would've though of it.

I would go with a regular food processor over a baby food one. They are better made and you can use it for salsa, etc. when you're done making baby food. We have a Vitamix (expensive) and it's been awesome for baby food and everything else.

You might want a boppy pillow, I don't think I saw it on your list.

I'd also suggest a rock n play. Our twins slept in rock n plays for the first 3 or so months and they were awesome and totally worth the money.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
The thing about "what do I need for my baby" questions is that every kid is different and every parent is different. So you'll see a list of "10 must-haves for every new parent" and then comments essentially saying "X was the best thing ever, but we never used Y", where X and Y are every single thing on the list.

But, at any rate, here's my $0.02:

5. Bibs. I don't think you actually need as many as people think you do. Maybe I'm just OK with my kids being messier than most, but I had way more bibs than I ever used.

6. Baby food processors don't do anything that your regular food processor doesn't. Cooking one-handed doesn't actually work, like, at all, and at any rate my kids hated appliance noises. My husband and I made all kinds of purees for our kids and the absolute best thing was a stick blender. We have a Cuisinart brand, but really anything decent will work. And then you can use it for soups, sauces, homemade mayonnaise, whipped cream or any number of other things.

7. I WAAAAAY overbought on freezer bags. Even with breastfeeding for 2 years, I didn't go through the 200 I registered for. You only really need to freeze milk when you're building up your supply, you're traveling without the kid or you're producing more than the kid is drinking (like right after a growth sprurt). Generally, I pumped into bottles that my kids would then drink from the next day. At any given time there'd be maybe 15-20 bags in the freezer. So, yeah, you need these, but don't go crazy.

8. Be aware that the diaper creams that work with cloth diapers are way more expensive than those for disposables. The cost/benefit of cloth still works out great even with this, but if you're not sure about either one, don't register for too much of either kind of cream. My faves are California Baby for cloth and Desitin for disposable.

9. Pacifiers. I could never get my kid to take them. I had all sorts of really cute ones too, and ones that were shaped for different developmental stages. None ever got used.

11. I don't think you need this. Even if you need white noise, a regular AM/FM radio tuned between stations works. And anyway, my kids' room faces a very busy street, and now I wouldn't change that for the world because they'll sleep through anything. Meanwhile, I have a 13 year old relative who still needs his baby noise machine to sleep.

13. From a safety perspective, packs are better than wraps under typical use. Basically, they're just less easy to screw up putting the kid in. I didn't like my Chicco one too much, but since my kids outgrew them I've seen Ergobaby ones everywhere. And they look awesome.

What are you missing? Have you considered:
Boppy: This was the best thing ever for breast or bottle feeding. Yeah, you can use regular pillows, but it's not nearly as easy or comfortable.

Changing table: I use an old dresser and my parents made a pad for the top.

Diaper pail: My mom saved the one me and my siblings used (of all the things to save, right?!), but if she hadn't I would have just bought a foot-pedal trash can. I use Planet Wise pail liner bags; I have two and one gets washed with each load of cloth diapers.

Wipes: You'll probably want some for disposables, but for cloth I just use squares cut out of old undershirts. It's not pretty, but it does the job of cleaning up poop.

Toy/book storage: It's insane how much people buy for kids, and then you have to find a way to manage the mess.

Bottles and baby spoons

Breast pump: Probably don't register for it, you can get it for free through health insurance.

Hope this helps!

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 11:37:57 AM »
I would just buy the adult food processor anyway if you know you are going to use it for things besides baby food.

With children, your mileage always varies, but mine pretty much refused solid food to 12-13 months, then when we moved to the US and switched formulas. She refused to drink it and switched herself right then and there to eating solid foods and drinking whole milk. Never did baby food at all.

For a baby bathtub, all we did was just buy a long and shallow laundry tub once she was too big for the sink.  We then used the laundry tub for laundry once she got too big for that.

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »
Congrats!   A baby is wonderful news!  With a baby you don't need everything right away.  The first 2 months all they really need is food, clean diapers, and sleep.

Cloth diapers are awesome, but they can be expensive too.  We are using them with our (now) 3 months old and love them.

We have flat folds (which I love) and prefolds (which Mr. D loves).  We still use disposables at night and when we are out but 1 pack of disposables will last us about a month.  We use pocket diaper covers in one size. 

I would skip the hand mittens for scratching because they always fall off.  Instead ask for socks, but not  those short ones, you want the long ones because they will go to all the way to shoulder of the baby and are hard for the baby to take them off.

I had a boba wrap and loved it until she got to be about 10 lbs, then it felt like no matter how I tied it, she wouldn't stay in the proper position.  I used it during the early days at home just carrying her close while I cooked, ate, walked, etc.  We do have an Ergo 360 and love it!  It took a while to figure out how to put it on by myself, but we just traveled for the holidays and it was so nice having hands free at the airport.  The Ergo really made it so easy to navigate the airport that I started to feel sorry for the people I saw trying to juggle baby, diaper bag, and stroller.

We have about 24 bibs (all gifts) and only use 3-4 a day.  Since we are using cloth diapers we do baby laundry each day would could thrive on only having 4 bibs total.

We were given several baby bath towels and robes, but we find using a beach towel works best and use regular size wash cloths. 

I've never used it but the BEABA baby food processor seems unnecessary.  If you already own a blender then you can use that.  Puree the food, put it in an ice cube tray, put try in freezer and only take out what you need.

Edit:  Our baby is 3.5 months old and still sleeping in a bassinet. We will transition her to the crib in a couple more weeks when she is over 12 lbs.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! The long post was excellent. I would have never thought about the mittens being a safety hazard! I love the sock idea.

I think we are going to do the pre-folds after the baby is 2 months old. Those seem to be the easiest for me to wrap my head around. The all-in-ones sound great, but seem like you'd need a lot of them and have a lot more laundry.

Did you mind the velcro on the Ergo 360? Some people seem to hate it. 

I forgot to mention our rocking chair! My husband is refinishing an awesome wood rocking chair we got from Goodwill.

Also, what did you use in terms of a baby monitor - if anything at all?

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 01:37:03 PM »

I would pass on the baby mittens and get newborn sized zip up sleep and plays with hand covers. We went to a baby safety class and they said that since babies stick everything in their mouths that they can get the hand covers stuck in their mouths and that it's better to get the sleep and plays with hand covers attached. Made sense to me and I never would've though of it.

I would go with a regular food processor over a baby food one. They are better made and you can use it for salsa, etc. when you're done making baby food. We have a Vitamix (expensive) and it's been awesome for baby food and everything else.

You might want a boppy pillow, I don't think I saw it on your list.

I'd also suggest a rock n play. Our twins slept in rock n plays for the first 3 or so months and they were awesome and totally worth the money.

I think you guys are right with the food processor. It's probably a waste of money.

I don't have a boppy pillow - I do have a maternity pillow that was gifted - would this work the same way?

I'll look for a Rock and Play now!

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 01:43:21 PM »
The thing about "what do I need for my baby" questions is that every kid is different and every parent is different. So you'll see a list of "10 must-haves for every new parent" and then comments essentially saying "X was the best thing ever, but we never used Y", where X and Y are every single thing on the list.

But, at any rate, here's my $0.02:

5. Bibs. I don't think you actually need as many as people think you do. Maybe I'm just OK with my kids being messier than most, but I had way more bibs than I ever used.

6. Baby food processors don't do anything that your regular food processor doesn't. Cooking one-handed doesn't actually work, like, at all, and at any rate my kids hated appliance noises. My husband and I made all kinds of purees for our kids and the absolute best thing was a stick blender. We have a Cuisinart brand, but really anything decent will work. And then you can use it for soups, sauces, homemade mayonnaise, whipped cream or any number of other things.

7. I WAAAAAY overbought on freezer bags. Even with breastfeeding for 2 years, I didn't go through the 200 I registered for. You only really need to freeze milk when you're building up your supply, you're traveling without the kid or you're producing more than the kid is drinking (like right after a growth sprurt). Generally, I pumped into bottles that my kids would then drink from the next day. At any given time there'd be maybe 15-20 bags in the freezer. So, yeah, you need these, but don't go crazy.

^^^ That's good to know! I didn't know how many to register for, so I likely registered for too many. I think I have 200 on my list! haha.

8. Be aware that the diaper creams that work with cloth diapers are way more expensive than those for disposables. The cost/benefit of cloth still works out great even with this, but if you're not sure about either one, don't register for too much of either kind of cream. My faves are California Baby for cloth and Desitin for disposable.

9. Pacifiers. I could never get my kid to take them. I had all sorts of really cute ones too, and ones that were shaped for different developmental stages. None ever got used.

11. I don't think you need this. Even if you need white noise, a regular AM/FM radio tuned between stations works. And anyway, my kids' room faces a very busy street, and now I wouldn't change that for the world because they'll sleep through anything. Meanwhile, I have a 13 year old relative who still needs his baby noise machine to sleep.

13. From a safety perspective, packs are better than wraps under typical use. Basically, they're just less easy to screw up putting the kid in. I didn't like my Chicco one too much, but since my kids outgrew them I've seen Ergobaby ones everywhere. And they look awesome.

What are you missing? Have you considered:
Boppy: This was the best thing ever for breast or bottle feeding. Yeah, you can use regular pillows, but it's not nearly as easy or comfortable.

Changing table: I use an old dresser and my parents made a pad for the top.

Diaper pail: My mom saved the one me and my siblings used (of all the things to save, right?!), but if she hadn't I would have just bought a foot-pedal trash can. I use Planet Wise pail liner bags; I have two and one gets washed with each load of cloth diapers.

Wipes: You'll probably want some for disposables, but for cloth I just use squares cut out of old undershirts. It's not pretty, but it does the job of cleaning up poop. --I'm thinking about making my own cloth wipes. Is it terribly inconvenient or pretty simple?

Toy/book storage: It's insane how much people buy for kids, and then you have to find a way to manage the mess.

Bottles and baby spoons

Breast pump: Probably don't register for it, you can get it for free through health insurance. - I forgot to mention this one, too! We are getting a pump from our insurance company.

Hope this helps! - VERY helpful!!! Thank you!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions! The long post was excellent. I would have never thought about the mittens being a safety hazard! I love the sock idea.

I think we are going to do the pre-folds after the baby is 2 months old. Those seem to be the easiest for me to wrap my head around. The all-in-ones sound great, but seem like you'd need a lot of them and have a lot more laundry.

I forgot to mention our rocking chair! My husband is refinishing an awesome wood rocking chair we got from Goodwill.

We used disposables too at first, around 6 weeks is when we started with cloth diapers 1) because the first few weeks were crazy hectic and 2) because she was small and they wouldn't stay on her!  Some people buy enough cloth to do laundry every other day, but the thought of pee/poop stained diapers sitting around for more than 1 day freaks me out!  At this point I have the cloth diaper routine down.

I don't mind the velcro on the Ergo 360.

We just got a baby monitor about 2 weeks ago, but I wish we had it sooner. We got the Infant Optics DXR‑8 Video Baby Monitor and love it.  It can have up to 4 cameras paired with one monitor.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »

On Registry:

Breastmilk bags you should get free from your insurance company with a breast pump. Mine lets me order more every 90 days for the first year.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »

For Diapers plan on disposables until they are 10lbs or the umbilical cord falls off, whichever is later. We have Flip diapers and love them so far. (started at 2 weeks, 5 weeks now)

I am currently typing this with the baby in the Ergo carrier. Love it! I had tried carrying a friend's child in it before we bought it. I'd recommend trying it out as it may not work as well if you are very short/tall/etc.

That's as much advice as I have at 5 weeks, now if only the baby would sleep!

meep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
I have never used a bib lol. I have two because daycare requires them for but I never use them at home.

My boppy was a lifesaver while bottle feeding but I preferred a regular pillow for breastfeeding.

Honestly I would just ask for diapers lol. You'll get the other stuff anyway whether you want them or not. I have so many hand me down kid bowls, spoons and such that I looked like a hoarder.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 07:56:27 PM »
There are a lot of options for carriers that are LIKE the Ergo... but not the actual Ergo. I never had an Ergo because I am under 5' but I had two different ones*--an Action Baby Carrier and a Boba 3G. Boba is much better for toddlers because it has a taller back; both the kinds I had also carry newborns without a special insert.

Another nice feature of the ABC is that for front carries, you can cross the straps in the back. More secure if you have narrow shoulders.

*Only b/c I had two kids 16 months apart. When Little Brother was born, we bought the Boba so that for family hikes, Mr. FP could tote Big Brother in the Boba and I could tote Little Brother in the ABC.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 08:39:08 PM »
Ergos are widely available used for <$50, and the 360 model can have the baby on your front facing forward (which is a big deal to really inquisitive babies).  We love our Ergo! 

muckety_muck

• Stubble
    • Unmucking by 2022
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 09:12:26 PM »
My top 5 for breastfed gender neutral babies:
1. Brest Friend nursing pillow (and an extra cover) - take it to the hospital with you. MUCH much better than a boppy. You can get them used for about $15 on craigslist... otherwise they are about 50ish new. keep a burp cloth or small hand towel laid over the pillow while you are feeding newborn with explosive breastfed baby poop. it's easier to wash.
2. google baby-led-weaning. You won't need to do any of that baby food processor / make your own baby food crap. Who has time for that anyway? Your baby will learn what real food tastes and FEELS like.
3. Breastpump. Get a good one, double electric especially if you are going back to work. Pay to upgrade from your insurance freebie if what they offer isn't a Medela. Get an extra set of pump parts so you can have one in the dishwasher, one in the bag to go back to work with you the next day. It's easy to forget to wash them, and then you're late for work.
4. Green/yellow/white sleepers in sizes NB-6 mo. These are easy to find at thrift stores, craigslist, etc. - since they're not gender specific, they usually have a lot less wear than the pink/blue sleepers.
5. LOTS of burp cloths. Maybe not so many bibs. Burp cloths are your BFFs for the first few months.

Good luck! :)

farmerj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 10:49:06 PM »

These are great. I used it more as a secondary changing table, though. It wasn't as comfortable on the back as the "real thing", but people's heights (and amount of space) vary.

Potentially more than one, if you have the storage space - they tend to have different niches.

On Registry:

Cloth diapers make good burp cloths. That's actually the only use to which we've ever put ours. Consider trying multiple brands - some fit better on some babies than others. You will want one box of newborns and one box of size 1. Don't open until you find out how big your baby is.

Worthless. Long sleeved onesies with the foldover bits that keep hands contained worked.

Is there anything big I am missing? What was helpful with your baby?
16. Absorbant changing pad liners. Put them on top of the changing pad. Keeps you from needing to change out the cover so much, and if you have a boy, it's more easy to flip them over.
17. Don't overdo clothes in newborn sizes. We had a bunch that were never worn because baby #1 outgrew them in a week or two at most. Baby #3 didn't ever fit them, and, in fact, pretty much went straight to size 6m.
18. Those swaddlers with the velcro to keep your child in check. Some kids like them a lot. We never were successful swaddling any of our children via the "wrap them in a blanket" method.
19. Nursing cover(s).
20. Maternity pillow - wife really liked the Snoogle for two out of the three. Fold it over and it helps support during bfing.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 10:53:23 PM »
Yes to Velcro swaddlers! They are sooo easy to use and I could never get the blanket working, so those were like the one thing I added between baby #1 and baby #2. (That and a Rock n Play.) We used to call it Little Brother's "burrito suit."

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 09:14:50 AM »
I used a regular pillow to support my elbow/baby while breastfeeding - I think I bought an extra small boppy or something, it never fit me but was good for helping the little one sit when she wasn't quite ready (3-4 months).

Never used the mittens, or socks.  My LO has flimsy little fingernails and scratching was never a problem.

Bibs: I think we had a bunch as hand-me-downs so I don't know the right number.  Mine wasn't a drooler but there were some heavy droolers at daycare so I can see the need for some kids.  Especially when teething.  Keeping the neck/chest dry avoids a rash.

We had a Beaba baby cook.  I never got past the learning curve and just gave up; LO preferred the super smooth jarred foods.  I used a small food processor to make canned pears into pear sauce, but that was the height of my baby food making.

An infant carseat, rather than a convertible, has the advantage that you can take a sleeping baby out of the car without disturbing her.  Our baby had reflux and slept in her carseat more happily than in her crib because id had an incline.  The Rock n Play others have suggested looks like it would do the same.

Burp Cloths: We bought pre-folds because I had visions of cloth diapering.  They make WONDERFULLY absorbent burp cloths.

Receiving blankets are ridiculously small.  Don't bother, or expect to use them as flimsy burp cloths or nursing covers, or get something extra large like these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NGN9SK6?psc=1 . Those huge ones are also good lightweight nap blankets at daycare in the summer.  My mother made for me, and I've made for other mothers, extra huge flannel receiving blankets.  My LO is nearly 5 and she still takes those blankets to daycare for naptime.

Pacfiers: another baby preference item.  Mine rejected the first 3 or 4, finally took the one given to me by the lactation consultant at our 1 month "Nothing is working!" appointment.

Glass bottles: Our daycare wouldn't take them (safety risk if it breaks) so while I did use them for pumping/storage we bought plastic bottles for daycare.

Plastic mattress protector/waterproof mattress pad for the crib.  I had both and made a sandwich: mattress pad, sheet, waterproof fabric (30"x40"), sheet.  The theory was that if the kid had an incident in the middle of the night I could tear off the top layer and just toss it in the laundry, no need to remake the bed at 3am.  I think this was neurotic and only came in handy once or twice, but I figured I'd toss it out there.

What is the baby mirror?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 10:44:49 AM »
On Registry:
5. Bibs - I hear you need a lot of these - honestly I never used these until the kids were on solids.  They really didn't spit up much.
6. BEABA baby food processor - I know this is an extra, but it seems to be really nice to use while carrying a baby. I'm not sure what this is?
9. Pacifiers - no.  My experience is that babies are picky.  And if you are nursing, you will want to wait until 4-6 weeks to start these.  You don't really know which kind of paci they will like - there are different shapes.  Some babies LOVE the hospital ones, mine didn't. Mine liked the "nuk" ones - except my older son started launching them at 4 months when he found his fingers.
10. Baby mittens for scratching - I just used socks
11. Sound Machine for soothing (I hear this is nice to have) - had this for #2, GODSEND
12. Baby bath supplies (organic baby soap, bathtub, towels) - probably only need 1-2 towels, I like the hoodie ones
13. Wrap (K'tan) - Maybe a Ergo when the baby is bigger? - love the Ergo.  I'd try to get hand-me-downs first.  With baby #2, I got hand me down ring sling (use newborn hold only for newborns!) - this one was great when I was by myself, because I could get into it, and a used Moby - more comfy but harder to get into.  Still use the Ergo on my 3.5 year old.
14. Baby Mirror - don't know what this is

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2015, 10:47:18 AM »
My top 5 for breastfed gender neutral babies:
1. Brest Friend nursing pillow (and an extra cover) - take it to the hospital with you. MUCH much better than a boppy. You can get them used for about $15 on craigslist... otherwise they are about 50ish new. keep a burp cloth or small hand towel laid over the pillow while you are feeding newborn with explosive breastfed baby poop. it's easier to wash.
2. google baby-led-weaning. You won't need to do any of that baby food processor / make your own baby food crap. Who has time for that anyway? Your baby will learn what real food tastes and FEELS like.
3. Breastpump. Get a good one, double electric especially if you are going back to work. Pay to upgrade from your insurance freebie if what they offer isn't a Medela. Get an extra set of pump parts so you can have one in the dishwasher, one in the bag to go back to work with you the next day. It's easy to forget to wash them, and then you're late for work.
4. Green/yellow/white sleepers in sizes NB-6 mo. These are easy to find at thrift stores, craigslist, etc. - since they're not gender specific, they usually have a lot less wear than the pink/blue sleepers.
5. LOTS of burp cloths. Maybe not so many bibs. Burp cloths are your BFFs for the first few months.

Good luck! :)

YES THIS!!

Oh God the pain I could have prevented...

ABC123

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2015, 11:14:16 AM »
I absolutely agree with everyone else on the baby mitten/sock thing.  My first had eczema really badly, and he would scratch all the time.  The baby mittens were worthless - they would not stay on at all.  But socks worked great.  We kept them on him like 24 hours a day.  Poor kid.

My two both hated the baby swing, but liked the bouncy seat.  Kids are so  unpredictable when it comes to things like that. 

I had 3 showers with my first baby.  We got a ton of stuff.  It was hard to register for stuff, not really knowing what we would need.  But I would rather register for something I might need than to get a bunch of stuff I know I won't ever use.  And if it is on your registry, some places will let you return it even without a receipt. 

Diapers -- we used cloth and loved it.  Mine were in daycare, so we needed the all-in-one type.  I recommend the site diaperswappers.com.  You can buy used diapers to try out, and then if they don't work for you they can be sold again.  Don't buy a ton of one thing up front.  You might think they will be the only diaper you will ever want to use, but it may not work with your baby.  So buy 1 or 2 of several different kinds, then you can buy more once you figure out what works for you.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 04:17:10 PM »
The Cloth Diaper Swap on babycenter is another place to pick up used diapers. I both bought and sold on there several times. YES to trying different kinds. One kind gave Big Brother recurrent yeast rashes, for instance, but other moms love them.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 05:49:14 AM »
I'm pretty frugal, and I hate waste so here is the minimalist list we developed after surviving two boys-
-car seats
-crib and mattress- basic- and SEVERAL sheets and mattress pad covers
-lots and lots of foldable cloth diapers
- Pampers Swadlers for the first 2 months
- Medela double electric breast pump and lots and lots of freezer bags
-medela storage bottles are awesome and I always wished I had more
-bouncy seat- an inexpensive Fisher price was perfect for us- you need a place to set a floppy & full newborn down so you can shower/eat/go to the bathroom etc.
-the Boppy pillow was pretty critical for me the first few months - c-sections plus nursing plus big floppy babies = really, really hard to comfortably position
-a couple of those zip up sleep sacks. Really helps for changing late night diapers
-nipple cream- they will probably give you some in the hospital
-high chair that straps to the dining room chair

Nice to haves-
-I loved our Arms reach mini-co sleeper. They are expensive and probably not a true NEED, but man was it awesome. Boys used it for first six months
-pack and play- for traveling
-exersaucer- easy to find used
-changing table with pad for dressing

I really wanted to baby wear, and I borrowed lots of baby carriers to try it. Nothing worked for me- big kids, vertical c-section after hard deliveries plus I'm short with some mild back problems- it just didn't work. Try it before you buy it is my advice.
Paci's and bottles will be individual to baby- don't buy a bunch until you know what works. My first was given a pacifier in the hospital because he was a ferocious nurser. It helped and I nursed him for 13 mo after. He easily gave up the paci at 16 mo because we didn't let him have it outside of his crib. Second boy literally came out sucking his thumb and still does, much to my dismay. Some things they just choose for you.
Good luck! Hope this helps.
Edited to add- good stroller, and a bottle brush
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 12:34:52 PM by BeanCounter »

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »
Second boy literally came out sucking his thumb and still does, much to my dismay. Some things they just choose for you.

I have a thumbsucker too. He's 3 and just went to the dentist for the first time. My pediatrician had been saying that the dentist would likely want him to stop, but the dentist actually said that it's not a problem at all until they have permanent teeth, and even then you can't tell that a kid was a thumbsucker two months after they quit because their jaws are so cartilaginous. He's not worried at all right now, and said that what he mostly sees is peer pressure starting around 5 as the main reason kids quit. He will sometimes talk to them directly about quitting, but he thinks that parents trying to force very young kids to quit generally does more harm than good.

IDK if this helps you, but I felt better after I heard that.

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 11:49:47 AM »
Congrats!!!  We have a 5.5 yr old 2.5 year old and are expecting #3.  This will be our second infant (one of our children was adopted at 23 months).  From our perspective you've got way to much on your registry.

We already have:
1. Pack and Play with changing insert, mattress, sheets and newborn level (from garage sale) - Hoping to use this as the newborn bassinet and changing table combo. We never used one, but I can see how it is helpful.  If you have one you DO NOT need a crib for at least 6 months

2. Dishwasher nipple and plastic part holder - From garage sale  only if you plan on bottle feeding
3. Baby Play Jumper - From garage sale not needed, in fact have been shown to slow down gross motor skills and generally not recommended for developmental reasons
4. Easy to use stroller - From garage sale Some people love their strollers! we didn't use ours until our son was almost 10 months old
5. Baby swaddles - From family these are awesome, I particularly liked the miracle blanket and have my eyes on an ergo swaddler this time
6. Baby zip up sleepers- From family we preferred swaddles but some people love
7. a few bibs- from family had 20, never used them, I mean I cannot remember once
8. Plastic baby high chair seat that straps to a regular chair - Garage sale Awesome for when they can sit unassisted
I will probably buy a swing or bouncer at a garage sale in the Spring.  we used our bouncer all the time, and never used a swing

On Registry:
1. Disposable and cloth diapers - We want to do disposable early on and then try out cloth once we have a little more of a routine Disposable are great until about 10lbs, then one sized cloth diapers.  We loved pocket diapers for both the kiddos we have now, if I increase my stash for baby #3 I'm thinking about flip covers with inserts
2. 2 Convertible Car Seats - Expensive, but is rear facing up to 40 lbs, which I love Yes!!!  we have the donio radians for both kids and will get another for baby $3
3. Crib - Cheap and simple, but has great reviews you won't need a crib with the pack and play or a bassinet until the baby is at least a few months old.  If someone gets it for you great but I bought one when pregnant with our son and wished later I had not gotten it until later
6. BEABA baby food processor - I know this is an extra, but it seems to be really nice to use while carrying a baby.  totally  unnecessary.  Look up "baby lead weaning" or "baby lead feeding"  purees are gross, not needed and take more time and effort. We never bought baby food and never made it either 
7. Breastmilk freezer bags awesome
8. Baby medicines (tylenol, diaper cream, nail clippers, etc) good, and a good nasal aspirator
9. Pacifiers only if there is no plan to breastfeed, they interfere with breastfeeding especially in the first few weeks plus if you are giving birth in a hospital they have them 
10. Baby mittens for scratching never used, baby hates them and so did I
11. Sound Machine for soothing (I hear this is nice to have) We never used one, and I personally suscribe to letting the  baby hear everything going on and NOT making noise a big deal.  However, I do have kids that go to sleep easy.
12. Baby bath supplies (organic baby soap, bathtub, towels) All you need is water to clean a baby, and a couple soft towels.  One bottle of baby "soap type stuff" that doesn't have nasty stuff in it is enough.  Coconut oil and Olive oil are prefect for moisture and cradle cap
13. Wrap (K'tan) - Maybe a Ergo when the baby is bigger? We had an ergo and a moby and used both all the time.
14. Baby Mirror for the car? yes

New babies seriously need very very little.  Clothing, diapers, food, warmth.  A safe place to sleep which can be as simple as a cardboard box.  I'm not saying you should use a cardboard box but I can promise you my kid took naps in the laundry basket :) 

If I were doing it all from scratch:
1) clothing from other people, one outfit I picked to come home in
2) car seat
3) bassinet
4) musslin swaddle blankets 3-6
5) swaddlers for sleeping 1-2
6) Moby or other streachy wrap
5) ergo baby carrier
6) couple of warm blankets - mostly for tummy time in the beginning.
7) boppy or similar pillow
8) disposible breast pads (I hated the washable ones)
9) water bottle for me - nursing is thirsty work and I wanted a glass of water as soon as baby latched every time
10) double electric pump (insurance usually covers)
11) bottles for 6+ weeks old if I had to be away from bub
12) thermometer, nail clippers, nasal aspirator,
13) meals in the freezer and/or gist certificates for delivery.
14) a nice comfy chair if we didn't already have one.
15) nipple cream
16) 25-30 cloth diapers, one sized and disposables for the first few weeks
17) cloth wipes
18) good detergent, free of dyes and perfumes
19) the old fashioned prefold cloth diapers to use for burp cloths and to clean up with.

BeanCounter

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »
Second boy literally came out sucking his thumb and still does, much to my dismay. Some things they just choose for you.

I have a thumbsucker too. He's 3 and just went to the dentist for the first time. My pediatrician had been saying that the dentist would likely want him to stop, but the dentist actually said that it's not a problem at all until they have permanent teeth, and even then you can't tell that a kid was a thumbsucker two months after they quit because their jaws are so cartilaginous. He's not worried at all right now, and said that what he mostly sees is peer pressure starting around 5 as the main reason kids quit. He will sometimes talk to them directly about quitting, but he thinks that parents trying to force very young kids to quit generally does more harm than good.

IDK if this helps you, but I felt better after I heard that.
Thank you! Yes, it always helps to hear others experiences!

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2016, 02:44:17 PM »
For a carrier, I love my lillebaby. It is in the same price range as the ergo but can be used for newborns without an insert and you can face the baby forward (when they're a little older).

Ditto the suggestions for the rock and play, my daughter slept in one until 4.5 months.

MommyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2016, 05:28:45 PM »
Hi, thought I'd add my two cents here. I have a 2 yo daughter and am expecting my second in a few weeks. Of course kids vary a lot and your experience will vary but here are my thoughts....

On Registry:
1. Disposable and cloth diapers - We want to do disposable early on and then try out cloth once we have a little more of a routine. yes! You will need diapers and lots of them. I can't speak to the cloth diapers since we never tried them, but we have loved and used the honest company. I know they aren't super cheap but we do the monthly shipment subscription and absolutely love the products. You can probably get diapers for very little money if you coupon/follow deal sites.
2. 2 Convertible Car Seats - Expensive, but is rear facing up to 40 lbs, which I love will you need two? You might be able to do with just one. That's all we've ever had and there's never been a problem.
3. Crib - Cheap and simple, but has great reviews of course this depends on your family. I always assumed we would use a crib, and we were gifted a very expensive one by my parents and put a nice, high quality mattress in it. Well, it turns out that we really lean towards attachment parenting and our daughter didn't sleep well apart from us.... We have coslept since baby was about five months. Prior to that, she slept in her pack and play bassinet or her swing, both of which we had in our room. We used the crib only a handful of times. She now has a real bed in her room but still prefers to sleep with us and that is fine by us.
4. Crib mattress and sheets see my comment on the crib. I would personally wait.
5. Bibs - I hear you need a lot of these we never really used them. Our baby didn't spit up much- I assumed it was because breast milk is easier to digest.
6. BEABA baby food processor - I know this is an extra, but it seems to be really nice to use while carrying a baby. i would agree with others here and go with a nice one you can use to make anything. We have a cuisinart and love it.
7. Breastmilk freezer bags good idea if you plan to pump!
8. Baby medicines (tylenol, diaper cream, nail clippers, etc) yes to desiring or a comparable zinc oxide treatment. We also love honest company's healing balm. Also the hair brush and nail clippers are pretty essential... The Tylenol is good to have a tiny but on hand but our baby never used it the first six months that I can remember.
9. Pacifiers our baby didn't like them, and I've heard kids are picky about which ones they will take
10. Baby mittens for scratching not necessary. You can use the tops with fold over selves or socks. Otherwise, a pair or two is more than enough until you get brave enough  to trim those tiny nails.
11. Sound Machine for soothing (I hear this is nice to have) we had one and used occasionally but don't intend to bother with our second
13. Wrap (K'tan) - Maybe a Ergo when the baby is bigger? we used the ergo right away with the newborn insert and loved it (actually removed the insert and just supported with one hand usually)
14. Baby Mirror this is totally an extra/toy
15. Baby bowls and glass bottles the bowls aren't really used until 4-6 months when you start using solids. You could always use your other bowls too. I wouldn't say you need plastic bowls until baby is ready to feed self finger foods. Glass bottles are probably nice if you are pumping or using formula. I can't speak to this as we breastfed exclusively.

For us, the baby swing was essential, as was some sort of seat or lounger. And swaddle blankets. And nipple cream!

Btw, we never used our hoppy or any other breastfeeding pillow. Regular pillows were much more comfortable to me. And yes, your rocking chair is indispensable! Good luck with your precious new one!

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 10:45:02 AM »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I've made quite a few changes on our registry, thanks to everyone's advice!

For those who are cloth diapering - Do I really need the fancy laundry soap for cloth diapers or have you found something that works better?
I just purchased 23 bum genius/ rumparoos from craigslist for $50 and would LOVE to make sure they are clean and ready to go for our baby. I was a little worried about buying used, but they are in great condition and it seems that many people buy them used.

Also, purchased an Ergo (not fake) for $20 and need to figure out the best way to wash it. Would just throwing it in the laundry be okay?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2016, 03:08:54 PM »
Re cloth diapers: definitely don't buy special detergent. I've always used whatever we use on the rest of the laundry, either homemade (2 parts grated Fels Naptha soap, 1 part Borax and 1 part Washing Soda; shake and use 2 Tbsp per load) or Seventh Generation Free.

Just washing the diapers will get them clean. Don't think "OMG this is something a human I don't know pooped in, MUST SANITIZE IMMEDIATELY", think "This is something my baby will poop in. I just need to get it clean enough for them to poop in."

You'll read a lot of stuff around "stripping" or "prepping" diapers, and IME 90% of the time it's just clean freaks getting their clean freak on. If they want to do it, more power to them, but I don't buy that it's necessary. Unless:

1. Someone who didn't know any better used not-cloth-friendly diaper cream and now you have diaper cream gunk on a diaper and it's not coming out in the regular wash.

2. You have hard water.

Then you might need to do something like wash with Dawn dish soap or use water softener.

I tried one of those "super extra powerful diaper detergents" once, on a sample. (I think it was Rockn Green.) My diapers got clean, but no cleaner than with regular detergent.

little_brown_dog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »
regarding the moby and other stretchy wrap - worth registering for but i find i prefer the ergo with an infant insert (remember you need to register for the insert separately, they are not sold with the ergo360 carrier). they are much easier and faster to get into. even when i figured out how to wrap the moby, after a  bit of moving around the baby always seemed to sink down/out of position or the wrap loosened and needed to be redone. also, i found it tough to use during cold weather. the sling really needs to be tight against baby for safety, making it difficult to use with a bundled up infant in a snowsuit or other bulky outfit. holding a blanket over a baby in a sling sort of defeats the purpose if you are mainly interested in babywearing for the convenience.
i'm typing right now with my 3mo old in the ergo and infant insert and she's just snoozing away.

for diapers we love the babyganics disposables - very soft, free of harsh chemicals, and the same price as pampers at our local Target. my daughter struggled with diaper rash with other brands and even cloth diapers. we haven't had one episode of diaper rash since we switched to the babyganics diapers, combined with burts bees multipurpose ointment at each change. the burts bees stuff is expensive but it can be used for face, body, and diaper area and the tub lasts forever.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:22:13 AM by little_brown_dog »

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2016, 09:29:15 AM »
Ergos are widely available used for <$50, and the 360 model can have the baby on your front facing forward (which is a big deal to really inquisitive babies).  We love our Ergo!

Also note that K'tans are based on the parents' sizes, not the babies. If you only get one K'tan, you'll either need to be approximately the same size (there are measurements on their site) or only one of you will be able to babywear.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2016, 11:03:22 AM »
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I've made quite a few changes on our registry, thanks to everyone's advice!

For those who are cloth diapering - Do I really need the fancy laundry soap for cloth diapers or have you found something that works better?
I just purchased 23 bum genius/ rumparoos from craigslist for $50 and would LOVE to make sure they are clean and ready to go for our baby. I was a little worried about buying used, but they are in great condition and it seems that many people buy them used.

Also, purchased an Ergo (not fake) for $20 and need to figure out the best way to wash it. Would just throwing it in the laundry be okay?

I always used special detergent. You are not supposed to use "soap"--that is, what's in homemade detergent--for cloth diapers.  I know people do it, but I was a rule follower! There are some detergents that are good for both clothes and diapers, like Country Save.

For used ones, I generally just washed them before use and called it good. I occasionally bleached the inserts if they smelled funky (which they were a little prone to, because I was washing in a front loader) and I would also do a blue Dawn strip once in a while.

Great Craigslist find! And FWIW, the only time either of my kids got a bad cloth diaper rash, they were ones I had bought NEW. (Big Brother could not wear cotton overnight, even with a fleece liner--nasty, recurring yeast rash.)

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2016, 06:47:54 PM »

I always used special detergent. You are not supposed to use "soap"--that is, what's in homemade detergent--for cloth diapers.  I know people do it, but I was a rule follower! There are some detergents that are good for both clothes and diapers, like Country Save.

For used ones, I generally just washed them before use and called it good. I occasionally bleached the inserts if they smelled funky (which they were a little prone to, because I was washing in a front loader) and I would also do a blue Dawn strip once in a while.

Great Craigslist find! And FWIW, the only time either of my kids got a bad cloth diaper rash, they were ones I had bought NEW. (Big Brother could not wear cotton overnight, even with a fleece liner--nasty, recurring yeast rash.)

I'm using the special detergent. Why? Because I was given our complete set of flip diapers as hand-me-downs and after 2.5 years of continuous use with kid 1 you can hardly tell they are used when we got them. The person who gave them to me said "always use the special detergent" and given the good condition I'm listening. Also the special stuff (bum genius brand) is super concentrated and you use about 2Tbs per load. My friend said she only used about 2 bottles the entire time the kid was in diapers.

no idea on the Ergo, but post it here if you wash it - got soy sauce on it last night.

alwayslearning

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 09:12:08 AM »

I'm using the special detergent. Why? Because I was given our complete set of flip diapers as hand-me-downs and after 2.5 years of continuous use with kid 1 you can hardly tell they are used when we got them. The person who gave them to me said "always use the special detergent" and given the good condition I'm listening. Also the special stuff (bum genius brand) is super concentrated and you use about 2Tbs per load. My friend said she only used about 2 bottles the entire time the kid was in diapers.

no idea on the Ergo, but post it here if you wash it - got soy sauce on it last night.

I washed the Ergo yesterday according to the online directions. Basically, I washed it on a delicate cycle and tumbled dry on delicate. You have to take it out of the dryer before it's fully dry to make sure you don't over heat the seams. So, I took it out and hung it up and it looks almost brand new!

Hope this helps!

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2016, 08:53:30 PM »
We have crazy hard water and a ton of poop due to special issues, so we wash using homemade detergent (dawn, washing soda and borax), with 2 washes (first with extra borax, second with extra vinegar).

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TabbyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2016, 07:27:30 PM »
We have a 7m old, and excluding the obvious for keeping baby fed, clean and clothed, this yoga ball is the single most important thing we bought:  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VDTEDA/ref=twister_B00BI7SOJI

This one specifically, the Giam blue one - worth its weight in gold to us. Most yoga balls are designed for doing stretches and situps and things and are too small to sit comfortably on, but this one is bigger and bouncier. I'm 5'5", husband is 5'9" and this one is sized well for us both. We have spent so may hours (days really) holding baby and bouncing on this thing.

Also, these look hard to use (they aren't!), and a little... well... crunchy... but my second most essential item is a woven wrap. You can buy used, or this site has good deals (https://5mr.com/), but the wovens are so good. I finally got one at 4m after trying all kinds of top recommended carriers for my fussy baby and the woven is the only carrier that calms her right down. The woven fabric is like a tight swaddle - just enough stretch for a good fit, but firm so she can't arch out of it - this feels much safer and more secure than the Ergo. It is much easier to wrap than I expected also. You can also find a local Babywearing International group, become a paying member for $20, and check out a new carrier (wraps and structured like the ergo) every month for a year. You can join for free and try out wraps at meet ups, but have to pay to take things home.

Most things you can see as you go. We did buy a lot of bibs because for two months she spit up all the time (using 12-18 bibs per day), but not all babies do that. One parent will swear by something another parent never used. Babies are people, and their needs and personalities vary. The yoga ball and wrap are pretty universal though, especially for a fussy one.

Congrats!

TabbyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2016, 07:52:31 PM »
Just remembered another thing - we planned to cloth diaper but mostly use disposables because I have found cloth to be difficult. The laundry isn't hard, but my baby is very squirmy and can't stand changes. I found it to be faster to get her in and out of a disposable, so those win right now. She may be an anomaly though. Sometimes it takes a lot of tries to get the diaper on, or someone else to hold her down, because she's thrashing around so much. Sharing because I never thought this would be the reason we don't do cloth.

Cognitive Miser

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2016, 04:49:23 PM »
Something nobody else has listed... flannel lap pads.  They are just tightly woven cotton - tight enough to be waterproof.  I used them in my son's bassinet because it was borrowed and I didn't want to ruin it for the original owner if he had diaper leaks or spit-up.  Which he did.  I also used them in the swing, stroller, carseat, etc...

They are kind of obscure, but here are some examples.  They come in different sizes:
https://www.amazon.com/EPlaza-Waterproof-Bassinet-Stroller-Mattress/dp/B0195ETIUE/ref=sr_1_14_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1466115270&sr=1-14&keywords=lap+pad
https://www.amazon.com/Carters-Cotton-Flannel-Protector-White/dp/B00NXG8P14/ref=pd_sbs_75_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=41vZaQNaM3L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=5YMHEM5BV44JP6S535H6
https://www.amazon.com/Babies-Us-Waterproof-Flannel-Multi-Use/dp/B00CXVJO42/ref=pd_sim_75_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=31XAVkXIsML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&psc=1&refRID=49K7STQ2D29AR3GSSWZ7

I got some at a consignment sale and some on Amazon.  It looks like the ones I bought were discontinued, which is too bad because they were awesome:
https://www.amazon.com/Carters-Flannel-White-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002UD65YU/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?srs=2586881011&ie=UTF8&qid=1466117241&sr=8-3&keywords=lap+pad

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »
Enjoying this old thread... and getting ready for baby due later this month. Here are my essentials:

1. Car seat, convertible
2. Cloth diapers/covers, wipes (the prefolds are also for but clothes, bibs, changing pads, etc)
3. Sleepers and onsies with the fold over cuffs, hats
4. Muslin swaddle blankets, 6, and two warmer blankets.
5. Wrap and ergo carriers
6. Baby soap, nail clippers and lanolin for mama (coconut oil for lotion, regular towels and wash cloths are fine)