Author Topic: After switching milk brands, our son won't go back...  (Read 4349 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
After switching milk brands, our son won't go back...
« on: September 24, 2017, 10:54:33 AM »
So we've been giving Trader Joe's Organic Whole Milk to our son ever since we started him on cow's milk. Maybe once or twice we strayed and got a different brand. This past week we were on vacation and we bought half a gallon of another brand (but non-organic); for whatever reason, he refuses to drink the TJ's milk now. We've tasted it ourselves to make sure it's not rancid (it isn't), so I'm not sure what the deal is.

Has this happened to you? Is it just a 'phase' where they'll eventually start drinking it again? It's been 3-4 days now since we've been back and he'll maybe drink an ounce at most before pushing it away... we give him milk 3 times a day normally.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
Re: After switching milk brands, our son won't go back...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 11:09:29 AM »
DS initially reacted to cows milk as an infant so we gave him soy milk. He refused to drink it after a year but was finally able to tolerate cows milk. Then he refused to drink any milk at 4 years old. We made sure to include other sources of calcium & vitamin D in his foods. We did allow him to drink a limited amount of healthy juices. I have to think it's a 'super' taste sensitivity. He has never liked carbonated drinks. Today he's 24 & only drinks water & the occasional fresh squeezed OJ. No alcohol, although we enjoy wine.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 07:48:51 AM »
So what? Give him some water to drink instead. I hated drinking milk as a child and am a perfectly functional adult.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 09:39:59 AM »
It's really weird though - he was loving milk just fine up until the point that we were on vacation and gave him different milk. Not sure what gives and if it's associated with the taste of the milk or maybe if he associates it with something bad? I hear as long as they're getting calcium from other sources, it's fine and that even that alone might be another cause of them not wanting milk?

Actually, my wife was pointing out that he stopped taking a liking to string cheese that we were giving him as well - this was prior to our trip. So maybe he has developed some sort of strong aversion towards dairy? He was eating [melted] cheese from a burrito I had yesterday though. Maybe he just wants to taste something different and is being preferential?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:41:40 AM by jeromedawg »

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 10:43:21 AM »
Is this your first child? As time goes on, you will see that children do absolutely illogical things. They will love something today and hate it tomorrow. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out the first time around. Now, I'm on 3# and I pretty much roll with it.

In your situation, I would continue to offer cheese and dairy in small portions that you don't mind throwing away. Give other food/liquid to fill in the gaps. Do not, under any circumstance, make a big deal about it.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
At about 4 or 5, I had a swig of curdled milk and after that I immediately stopped drinking milk. Like, I specifically remember that incident as a turning point. I LOVED milk before that, too. To this day, I can't really stomach it. I went years eating dry cereal in the morning before discovering that almondmilk was alright.

That was over 20 years ago and I have never broken a bone or had any issues with calcium/vitamin D deficiencies. I never really ate extra dairy to compensate, either.

My point is, like others said, kids are strange and fickle and if they're okay with it (and it's not something that will kill them), then you can probably be okay with it.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 01:43:29 PM »

That was over 20 years ago and I have never broken a bone or had any issues with calcium/vitamin D deficiencies. I never really ate extra dairy to compensate, either.

Spoiler - the notion that milk = calcium, vitamin D, etc. is false.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 05:33:19 AM »

True, but that's been the shtick for years - I remember the "Got Milk?" campaign very well. Even the pediatricians always asked whether I was drinking milk, and the reply would always be "no". They'd get all concerned and huffy and I just didn't like it, and I remember it actually made one pediatrician visibly upset with me.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 06:47:47 AM »

True, but that's been the shtick for years - I remember the "Got Milk?" campaign very well. Even the pediatricians always asked whether I was drinking milk, and the reply would always be "no". They'd get all concerned and huffy and I just didn't like it, and I remember it actually made one pediatrician visibly upset with me.

Haha - don't get me started on the diet "education" doctors and nurses get in med. school.  A joke.