Author Topic: 529/ESA balancing as kids get older...  (Read 762 times)

gettingtoyes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
529/ESA balancing as kids get older...
« on: January 25, 2023, 11:27:25 PM »
I contribute to a good amount to an ESA and 529 for my kids and I just put it all in VTSAX and SWTSX. One is 6 and the other is 2 so I've got a good time horizon for a bit- I do plan to start taking out around age 14 for a private high school (which is why I bother with the ESA since 529 can only give out $10k per year for secondary school).

I don't mind being 100% stocks for now but wonder at what point should I start changing some of it to more conservative investments? Bonds? Cash? I was thinking of looking at it 3-5 years out. Anyone gone through this with a long time horizon- how did you approach? With retirement you generally have a much bigger nest egg and ability to work more if needed but high school and college don't wait, heh (well...I suppose college could technically).

EverythingisNew

• Stubble
Re: 529/ESA balancing as kids get older...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 04:27:11 PM »
Currently have 529s in S&P 500 funds. I plan on switching to a target date fund 4 years out from college (when they enter high school). Knowing me I will probably delay this switch with a bit of market timing if it seems like an odd year, but the goal will be to switch 1st year of high school.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: 529/ESA balancing as kids get older...
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 04:51:48 PM »
I have a 15 & 16 year old, and they are in targeted age fund, & still lost a lot over the past 12 years, so I'd say it's hard to tell. In previous years, it would have worked out great, but I wish I'd been more conservative.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!