Author Topic: 2 month year old, up every 2 hours at night :(  (Read 8203 times)

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
2 month year old, up every 2 hours at night :(
« on: September 17, 2018, 04:15:56 AM »
My wife and I have have been blessed with a gorgeous little boy, now 2 months old.

We are struggling at night to get him fully to sleep. He was born at only 6lbs 10oz, so he's a little man. He's now about 10lbs. We cant seem to fill him up enough at night. We try to give him a good long feed, but he only wants so much and will take himself off / cry if we try to give him more. He is always well winded and burped etc, thats not a concern. He just wakes up a lot.

A typical night is: a feed and then bed for 7pm..... 10pm another feed... then he may wake at 1am and feed to 2am, wake at 4am, feed to 5am.... and up at 6.30am.

Its hard work, I know in a few months time this may level out, but is there anything we can try to do to stretch him out at night for longer sleeps?

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2 month year old, up every 2 hours at night :(
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 06:20:55 AM »
This sounds well within the range of normal for a 2 month old. Not all babies sleep through the night right away, and tbh, it sucks.

If there is any way you and your wife can trade off feeding duty during the night (pump during the day, maybe?), that extra 2 hours of sleep will make a giant difference for her.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 06:26:27 AM »
I agree, your baby may vary; there may be nothing to it but growing out of it.  We bottle fed out of necessity, and for the nighttime bottle we added some rice cereal mixed in, to keep him content.  It helped greatly for him to sleep at night.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 06:37:55 AM »
I just got a memory on FB from when our toddler was 3 months old - "F just took a 4 hour nap at daycare.  That's the longest he's ever slept at one time.  Ever.  WHY, daycare, WHY?!?"

So, it's unfortunately well within the typical range of new baby to only sleep for 2 hours at a time.  I don't think my son slept for 4 hours at night until he was at least 6 months old.  It sucks a lot, I'm sorry.

If you're breastfeeding, adding a formula bottle before bed may help give you a longer stretch.  Formula takes longer to digest than breastmilk, so it keeps their little tummies full for longer (I don't have personal experience with that, but it's what I've been told, so take the second-hand advice with a grain of salt).  ETA - Okits is right, 2 months is way too early for rice cereal.  I wasn't specific, but I definitely mean straight formula.

If you can sleep in another room for the first 4 or 5 hours of your night, then take the baby at the 4 or 6:30 wake-up, give them a bottle of expressed breast milk or formula, and let your wife sleep for another few hours, that might help both of you a lot.  Just make sure you're far enough away in your house that your wife can't hear the baby cry, or she might just lie there all morning wondering if everything is alright.

It's hard to alternate at night just because you've got to remember whose turn it is, and get up to heat up the milk/formula, and honestly, your wife will probably have a lot of trouble sleeping through that.  My husband just didn't hear our son crying as immediately as I did, and I was ALWAYS awake well before he was conscious enough to roll out of bed.  Taking the morning hours might be simpler.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:30:47 AM by chaskavitch »

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 07:27:24 AM »
Your son's night sleep and feeds sound totally normal, he just needs to get older so his stomach is larger and can hold more milk so he won't need to wake as often to eat.

At two months he is way too young to have rice cereal, but by six months you could give that a try.

Hopefully you can get a little help from family, friends, or hired childcare to catch up on sleep.  The first few months are very tiring, you have my sympathy!

BAM

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:33:29 AM »
I would recommend checking his daytime eating habits also. With a few of my kids, I realized that they weren't eating as much during the day and sleeping longer during the day. Once I changed the daytime eating/sleeping, the night time feedings/sleeping stretched out more. It's quite possible he has night and day mixed up.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 07:36:00 AM »
That is what "sleeping like a baby" is really like.  It sounds perfectly normal.  The first few months are all about survival, you do what you need to do. 

For the first 6 months my husband and I took turns pulling "baby duty".  I wasn't able to nurse so being bottle fed made it much easier.

He would take one night with the baby and I would sleep in the guest room to get a good sleep, then we would switch the next night. 

At least one of us getting a good night sleep each night made the day time much more bearable, if only because the one on baby duty had something to look forward to the next night. 

We did sleep train both kids, but we didn't start until they were at least 6-7 months old.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 07:42:55 AM »
I'm sorry to say that at 2 months, that is very very normal.  At that stage, our doctors were still having me wake my daughter up every 3 hours to feed at night, on the rare instance she didn't wake herself up.

I think watching the daytime eating is good advice, but perhaps 2 months is a bit too young for it (for me at least). I'd start to expect babies to understand day/night, as well as expect them to eat more during the day close to 6 months. Their stomachs are just too small to fill up for the night.

It may help to designate who does night duty and sleep in separate rooms so you do not both have to wake up.

This stage will pass. (Though perhaps not quickly... my daughter is 18 months and still wakes up twice at night every single night. Usually once at 10 and once at 3. She thankfully settles quite quickly now, as we stopped doing night feeding at 12 months, though by 8 months she was only eating once over night.)

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
Yup, very normal. My son was a every two hour baby for most of his first year and is now at 2 down to only waking up twice a night in a normal night. He has allergies that causes him to itch which is part of it but it is also probably partly just "him". He gets treatment for his problems but I am going to try to see if they can at least for a while give him some allergy medicine that is more effective towards the itching as it also seems hard to understand exactly what he is reacting to other than his know allergies to eggs and cashews which he certainly does not eat. Daycare do not seem to be messing up since he had the same problems when he was at home for 4 weeks. In short, they will soon either do a better job at giving him medicine or dive into what he is reacting to at a bit more depth because I am sick of waking up this much.

His sister started sleeping through the night occasionally at 8 months and did so consistently at about 15 months. Both were/are breastfed and both disliked formula so neither could be helped to sleep by eating that at night which works for some.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:03:46 AM by elliha »

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 08:01:05 AM »
My first baby woke up every 2 hours for the first 10 months, then stretched out to about every 3 hours.  Still needed 2 feedings per night at 1 year old.

But through our other baby slept through the night at like 2 weeks.  Who knows?

What you're going through it normal.  Just keep doing the best you can. 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 08:23:20 AM »
Sounds pretty normal, but if baby can go about 3 hours between feedings at some times, and only 1-2 hours at others, and mom is the sole provider of food, I suggest having dad get up and try to soothe babe back to sleep if it hasn't yet been 3 hours.  The fact that baby is up and not wanting to eat a ton might mean that he isn't up because he's hungry, he's up because he just needs a hug or other comfort. 

Up every hour to nurse just a little bit could mean mom is getting into human pacifier territory.  I definitely was that to some degree with my second DD, but I was working full time and she was reverse cycling- consuming small amounts of pumped milk during the day, bottle fed by DH, and making up for it at night.  This was tolerable because her crib was right next to our bed, and I barely had to be awake to pick her up, lay her down next to me, and nurse why laying on my side and practically sleeping through it.  I'd wake up in the morning and think "hey, I don't remember moving you!"  But obviously I did.  Cosleeping can be dangerous, so tread lightly and only if you know your sleep habits.  If you or your wife flail around and might flop over on your baby, don't do it.  I would pretty much sleep in a frozen position on my side, available as an all night buffet for my baby.  It met both of our needs just fine.  I was worried about her transitioning to not doing this, but it was a non-issue.  We just put DH on duty after she moved out of our room at a little over a year.  She knew Dad isn't food, just hugs.  She cried a bit the first couple nights, but it wasn't like she was being ignored or alone.  DH was there to soothe her and put her back down.

I do not suggest moving to formula if he is exclusively breastfed at this time and your wife wishes to keep it that way.  Supply is based on demand, and if he is full of formula, this could mess with her supply.  But if doesn't matter to you, that's okay, too.  I just was personally very dedicated to nursing and it was super important to me... but you guys may think I'm crazy because my kids nursed (of course less frequently as they aged) up to 2 years and 364 days.  I even tandem nursed for 6 months; they are 2.5 years apart.

Good luck!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »
My babies both did this, and didn't take bottles for various reasons...so I just had to tough it out, nursing night and day in a fog of fatigue...it didn't last forever. And now that my "babies" are in their forties, I think back with a smile and a tear to those days. (My grandmother said that some of the happiest days of your life are when your children are tiny--in retrospect, I think she was right.) I think it is just normal life with a young baby--they take up all your time and energy, and it is just Exhaustion City.  I don't think young parents are prepared enough for how tiring and all-consuming it is going to be. I would just ride with it--try not to do too much in your life except baby care--and try to rest when the baby naps. They gradually start sleeping for longer intervals, and also, I started mine on a little rice cereal earlier than is usually recommended. (With pediatrician's OK.)

Humorous anecdote: When my eldest daughter slept for seven hours one time at six weeks of age, I couldn't take advantage of this miracle and get some rest. I was so sure she had died, that I kept getting up and checking her!

brycedoula

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 08:22:52 PM »
Congratulations on the birth of your son!

My son is 6 weeks old, and is sleeping in a somewhat similar pattern. What is currently helping me get as much sleep as possible is
A) swaddling - I prefer the Summer Infant Velcro swaddles, but there are many different kinds to choose from.
B) white noise - we have a Spotify membership, so this allows us to download playlists. I have the “Baby Sleep Aid: White Noise” playlist downloaded & have it playing on repeat all night long. It helps everyone sleep better.

What you’re describing sounds very typical; most young babies just don’t sleep for long periods. It’s hard on the parents and the sleep deprivation is no joke.

I have found the Precious Little Sleep website to be EXTREMELY helpful in terms of both realizing what is normal/developmentally appropriate and strategies to improve sleep. There is also a very active Facebook group, as well as a recently-published book.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 08:53:47 PM »
Sounds normal even if formula feeding.

Normal for many more months.

You can dosome gentle routines but there isn't much besides just getting through it.

Babies suck.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 09:19:15 PM »
Good luck. You will forget about this one day. And then contemplate having another.  Then you'll remember again.

And so the cycle continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2018, 07:43:32 AM »
I agree with everyone else - this is very normal for a 2 month old.  I would expect every 2-3 hours at this point, eventually stretching out to 2-3 total night feedings around 6 months and 1-2 night feedings by a year.  The reality is some babies need to eat more than other babies.

My son dropped his last night feeding around a year, and my daughter dropped it sporadically around 15 months and for good around 18 months.

I do recommend reading the "No Cry Sleep Solution" now rather than later, because it has some good ideas about preventing the food/sleep association from becoming a problem, which can help everyone get more sleep later.  But at this age, it is what it is, and you just have to get through.

PharmaStache

• Bristles
  • Peg City 'Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2018, 12:37:49 PM »
Yep. It sucks. 

My second was a very good night sleeper.  Who knows if it was just the way he was born, but I did feed him a TON during the day- like every hour (I was BFing).  Just something to think about. 

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2018, 03:25:16 PM »
My now-8 year old wouldn't sleep longer than 1.5 hours at a time until he was 18 months old. He was the absolute worst teether from hell, and once those molars came in at 18 months he suddenly slept through the night. The only way I survived was co-sleeping and nursing him back to sleep in the middle of the night. Hang in there!! It was SO hard, but a distant (and blurry) memory now. Of course all kids are different. My oldest slept through the night early and easily, which made it a giant shock with #2 when he was so difficult at night.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2018, 04:02:02 PM »
We get 7-8 hours most nights.

We bottle feed 5-6 ounces with our 2 month old right before bed and put an overnight diaper on her. We have a routine of giving her a bath then bottle feed then swaddle. We use houdiini swaddle so she can't wake her self up with her Arms. Been working really well so far. She's still in a bassinet next to the bed and if she starts to stir we'll pop the passifier back in and she falls right back asleep.

She also eats between 26-30 oz a day
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 04:07:53 PM by boarder42 »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2018, 04:23:57 PM »
Babies really are so different from each other. My daughter never had more than 26 ounces in one day.  Even when she was 1 I still just sent 12 ounces to daycare

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2018, 11:04:31 AM »
My wife and I have have been blessed with a gorgeous little boy, now 2 months old.

We are struggling at night to get him fully to sleep. He was born at only 6lbs 10oz, so he's a little man. He's now about 10lbs. We cant seem to fill him up enough at night. We try to give him a good long feed, but he only wants so much and will take himself off / cry if we try to give him more. He is always well winded and burped etc, thats not a concern. He just wakes up a lot.

A typical night is: a feed and then bed for 7pm..... 10pm another feed... then he may wake at 1am and feed to 2am, wake at 4am, feed to 5am.... and up at 6.30am.

Its hard work, I know in a few months time this may level out, but is there anything we can try to do to stretch him out at night for longer sleeps?
Seems pretty normal to me.

Both my boys were around that size at birth - 6 lb 11 oz and 7 lb 10 oz.  Waking every 2-3 hours was normal.

My first kid, at 4 months would sleep for 4 hours.  At 5 months for 5...so he didn't sleep for 8 hours until 8 months.

Second kid started sleeping 7-8 hours at 3 months, but at 7 months he started teething and that was the end of that until 16 months. Sigh.

Acorns

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2018, 10:13:59 PM »
This sounds really normal. Babies are so hard (cute! but hard :-( ). My first was the worst sleeper of the bunch, we started cosleeping when he was 6 weeks old because it was pretty much the only way he would sleep at all. I like the above reference to being an "all night buffet." I felt the same way. But it was ok with me because I was working full time and away from my baby 12hrs a day. If you decide to cosleep, do some reading on how to do it safely. I do think it is much safer for the mother to be the one sleeping with the baby, not the father. Also, try a pacifier. Some babies have a powerful suckling reflex and a pacifier can really help.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 08:40:18 AM »
This advice is definitely one of those "use it if it helps and disregard if it sounds crazy to you", but I figured I'd share in case it's the former.

When my first baby was around 2 or 3 months I read a book that used the phrase "overnight parenting" and it really helped me think about the fact that for myself, I really wanted night time parenting to be an extension of my parenting during the day.  Which meant being patient and loving, even when I didn't feel like it, and being mindful of how this was a limited time in her life that I'd never get back.

So we created special "middle of the night" rituals that were calming for both of us, and that honestly are pretty cherished memories now that she's older and wants nothing to do with night time cuddles.  I had a special song I sang her, and we bounced on a yoga ball to get her back to sleep.  If she was having an especially rough time, I'd turn on a special playlist of songs I made for her and sing to her while I rocked her.  Making these little rituals really helped me view helping her sleep as a positive parenting responsibility instead of an obligation when I'd rather be sleeping.  The nights are long but the years are short.

All that said, we did sleep train her eventually (at 6 months) because none of us were getting enough sleep and our fatigue was beginning to become a safety issue and the whole thing was not working for our family.  But those rituals and change of mindset got me through 3 or 4 looooooong months of sleepless nights.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 08:51:41 AM »
Two nights in a row, my daughter slept 12 hours through the night!!!  We are up to a total of 10 nights in 18 months. Woo!! 

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »
Two nights in a row, my daughter slept 12 hours through the night!!!  We are up to a total of 10 nights in 18 months. Woo!!

Dang man reading all these makes me realize how lucky we are currently

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2018, 11:28:37 AM »
For two months yes, that is very normal... BUT that doesn't mean there's nothing you can do about it and it doesn't mean you can't expect any improvement before six months (when sleep training starts to be recommended). Can't type much because dealing with snotty 4.5 month old, but Precious Little Sleep changed my life. Book well worth money even if you read the whole blog. Also, I find four hours in a row to be the magic number for feeling human the next day. Now I can usually expect at least one solid four hour stretch my life is much better. It's still up and down, but we are no longer in co-sleeping human dummy hell. Buy Precious Little Sleep.

Also try this for laughs: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/journals/the-baby-sleep-diaries

hykue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 11:53:24 PM »
Only thing I didn't see mentioned yet is hydration - sometimes my eldest would stop nursing because I was a bit dehydrated and there was no milk, then she'd try again in an hour, rinse, repeat. When I finally got better at hydrating (she *told* me to drink as one on of her first words, at some young age I can't remember due to sleep deprivation), she slept slightly better. It wasn't a magical solution for her, but I learned my lesson and could really see the difference in my youngest if I let my water consumption lapse.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 12:42:29 PM »
Sounds normal even if formula feeding.

Normal for many more months.

You can dosome gentle routines but there isn't much besides just getting through it.

Babies suck.
Babies Rock!

You just got to rock the baby.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2018, 07:26:33 AM »
Was "normal" for us too, though it was clear our son was not getting enough from the breast. My wife felt so pressured by the breast-feeding advocates that she wouldn't do formula. I begged. And begged. We hadn't slept for four months. When we took him to his four-month checkup, he had not gained a single ounce in the previous month. Looking back at photos he looks emaciated. Thankfully the doc told us to go to formula, which I already had stocked up and ready to go. We went home and he sucked down 3 and a half bottles of Costco formula and went to bed for 12 hours. So did we.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 08:55:45 AM »
We are now at the 15 week stage, we have pretty much abandoned breast feeding now and solo formula, as it keeps him full and we can gauge how much he's had.
He is sleeping a bit better, but still not through the night.

Generally goes down about 7pm, up at 11pm for a larger feed (6oz), then back to sleep until about 2/3/4, then one more feed that usually sees him through to 7am.

Its a bit of a grind, and we are both tired. I also find the relationship with my wife is (at the moment) less 'fun', we are annoying each other a fair bit, but its probably inflated by the tiredness. My wife seems very easily annoyed. Me too!

Our little boy is our world though, love him so much and every day we get a little bit more interaction!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 08:57:57 AM by Zola. »

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 09:13:26 AM »
We are now at the 15 week stage, we have pretty much abandoned breast feeding now and solo formula, as it keeps him full and we can gauge how much he's had.

Generally goes down about 7pm, up at 11pm for a larger feed (6oz), then back to sleep until about 2/3/4, then one more feed that usually sees him through to 7am.

Its a bit of a grind, and we are both tired. I also find the relationship with my wife is (at the moment) less 'fun', we are annoying each other a fair bit, but its probably inflated by the tiredness. My wife seems very easily annoyed. Me too!

Our little boy is our world though, love him so much and every day we get a little bit more interaction!
That's pretty good news.  YMMV but my child became magically a LOT less miserable around 5 months with no clear explanation.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 10:37:04 AM »

That's pretty good news.  YMMV but my child became magically a LOT less miserable around 5 months with no clear explanation.

Me too, around 5 months. More regular in his habits, just generally happier. Coincided with starting to sit up for us.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 11:10:32 AM »
ALl the little milestones are exciting, he is just starting to grab things, he can hold his head up pretty well, but hasn't rolled over or sat up yet, could be a month or two away yet!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2018, 11:31:54 AM »
Being tired makes people short tempered. Once he sleeps through the night things will return to normal.   It’s so exciting when babies are able to do things. Enjoy!

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 06:36:05 AM »

Sunshinewhenitrains

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2018, 07:52:36 PM »
I have a 3 month old. What has worked the best it to put her in a noth face fleece body suit and open the windows and let the 40 degree air come in. She is bundled nice and cozie, but the cold air makes her sleep like a baby.;)

Hope you get some rest!

EricEng

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2018, 09:31:24 PM »
I realize OP is mostly pass this now, but for others this worked well for us assuming you are bottle and not breast feeding.  This requires at least 1 other adult to assist (ie: grandparent).

Take shifts at night when you put the baby down where you hang out in/near their room handling all soothing, diapers, feeding while others sleep somewhere in silence.  I took first 3 hours (8-11pm) while my wife and MIL slept.  MIL took second shift for 3 hours (11pm-2am).  Wife takes over 2am onward (or when baby wakes/stires next).  Wife usually went to sleep an hour before baby, netting her 6-7 hours straight sleep which is incredible with a newborn.  I went to full time work in the morning with my usual 7+ hours sleep and relieved them when I got home.  MIL/Wife covers it during the day taking turns watching/sleeping and sleeping during baby naps.  This worked great for us to get through the first month (alternating grandparents every week).

JLR

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 03:35:28 AM »
Definitely within the realm of normal.

Check nappies/diapers to be sure of enough milk going in. At least five heavily wet diapers in 24 hours, plus regular poopy ones.

These are tough times, but things do get easier. I can remember one point when I was being woken every 45 mins. I can't remember if that was when I was pregnant with #3, or after #3 was born. That's how sleep deprived I was! But, we got through it and things got easier in time. You'll get there, too. Now my problem is waiting up at night for my 15 yo to finish her evening activities so I can go pick her up!

aimz28

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 05:36:59 PM »
I remember 2 months being the hardest with my kids because the sleep deprivation had really piled up. At that point you keep hoping and praying they'll sleep a long stretch, and it sucks to hear them cry when it feels like you just hit the pillow. Hang in there, it really doesn't last forever even though it feels like it at the time!

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2018, 06:10:34 AM »
This is normal at 2 months.  Both my kids were like this as babies.  My older one started to sleep for long stretches at around 8 months and my younger one not until she was almost 2. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2018, 07:13:38 AM »
There is yet hope. BabySLTD goes to bed at 6pm, wakes up between 7am and 8am, and has two fifteen-minute breastfeeds during the night. I feed him, bung him back in the cot with the dummy, and he goes back to sleep between 1 and 5 minutes later with no further intervention required. I would obviously love an uninterrupted night but it is actually basically fine how it is now. He is 6.5 months old and has been this way for a month at least.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2018, 08:01:39 PM »
My 7 month old only sleeps for 3 to 4 hours at a time, its been draining to say the least.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2018, 12:52:30 AM »
Definitely try swaddling if you haven't already, and hang in there.  Newborns are hard.  It gets better eventually. 

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2018, 05:12:29 PM »
Another All Night Lunch Counter checking in. Making myself available by co-sleeping made sense for my first, who was high need well into elementary school. That little guy is a very independent physics major now and even though people thought I was nuts (he's going to be emotionally damaged!), I don't regret it for a minute.

For my second I was a little more hard assed about attachment parenting/co-sleeping. Fortunately she was not high need, but did nurse until she was three. Again, no regrets. Both have grown into lovely, productive members of society.

Best of luck. Believe it or not, there will come a time when you'll back and these will be treasured moments.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2018, 07:20:59 AM »
In the last couple of weeks he's been not as bad, waking up 2 or 3 times as before, but a feed and burp and he is usually fine.

He loves to throw his feet right up in the air and crashing them down again, for some reason!  Not sure if when he is sleeping or fighting it. Thats what is keeping us up more so at the minute haha. He is in a little swaddle suit but we have his hands free now. Typically wearing 3 layers as its quite cold at night here now, the room at night sits about 19C / 67F, I know ideally I would want it 21C / 70F.

He is a bundle of joy in the daytime, loves to have fun and full of smiles. He is starting to get heavy to carry around though! Likes being walked around the house looking at things.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2018, 07:26:18 AM »
Definitely try swaddling if you haven't already, and hang in there.  Newborns are hard.  It gets better eventually.

I'm really counting on this eventually. I have to think by the time she goes to college it will be better, right?

My 20 month old is -mostly- sleeping through the night now, but she wakes up at 4:30 or 5:00.    She goes to bed, without fuss 4/5 of the time, at 6:30-7:00. We've tried a later bedtime, but then she wakes up in the middle of the night, she's obviously super tired by bedtime, so being over tired doesn't help.  We can't do earlier to bed, as there isn't time to get her dinner.   She only takes 1 2-hour nap. I think it would be helpful for her to get a morning nap and an afternoon nap, but that isn't what daycare does.

I just want to sleep until 6. Is that so much to ask?

lazy-saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »

I'm really counting on this eventually. I have to think by the time she goes to college it will be better, right?

My 20 month old is -mostly- sleeping through the night now, but she wakes up at 4:30 or 5:00.    She goes to bed, without fuss 4/5 of the time, at 6:30-7:00. We've tried a later bedtime, but then she wakes up in the middle of the night, she's obviously super tired by bedtime, so being over tired doesn't help.  We can't do earlier to bed, as there isn't time to get her dinner.   She only takes 1 2-hour nap. I think it would be helpful for her to get a morning nap and an afternoon nap, but that isn't what daycare does.

That sounds like it's probably a nap timing issue and you'll have more flexibility as soon as she's really ready for just the one nap. We've shifted bedtime and wakeup together fine (and everyone does it at daylight savings) but the situation was tricky with daycare until he was really ready for just the one nap. I think that was around 18 months for us, hopefully it will be soon for you.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2018, 09:26:16 AM »

That sounds like it's probably a nap timing issue and you'll have more flexibility as soon as she's really ready for just the one nap. We've shifted bedtime and wakeup together fine (and everyone does it at daylight savings) but the situation was tricky with daycare until he was really ready for just the one nap. I think that was around 18 months for us, hopefully it will be soon for you.

Daycare switches them to 1 nap at 12 months, so she's been on that for 8 months now.

Thankfully daylight savings time wasn't that bad. Just one morning of OMG, it's only 3.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »
He loves to throw his feet right up in the air and crashing them down again, for some reason!  Not sure if when he is sleeping or fighting it. Thats what is keeping us up more so at the minute haha.

Good news! This is a phase. Bad news! It's a long phase. It seemed to us to be a precursor to sitting up - that he's doing little leg lifts in his sleep to tone his abs. I don't think there's anything you can do to stop it except move him to another room.

lazy-saver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 11:29:00 AM »
Daycare switches them to 1 nap at 12 months, so she's been on that for 8 months now.

Thankfully daylight savings time wasn't that bad. Just one morning of OMG, it's only 3.

Ours did too, but even though he wasn't ready for one nap it was actually even worse before that since they had all the babies on theoretically their own schedules and ours napped terribly because there were always other babies up.