Author Topic: Willamette Valley Mustachians (Oregon)  (Read 50149 times)

Pistacheo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Willamette Valley Mustachians (Oregon)
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2014, 12:08:08 AM »
MarciaB, I'm happy to have done it. See you tomorrow.

frankh, sorry we'll miss you. I hope you're on the mend soon.

Thanks to Will and elincolnp for stepping up to help manage the group. If anyone wants to be added to the group in the future, PM all three of us, and one of us will get it rolling for you.

Erik Y

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2014, 06:23:26 PM »
Hello,
I've been reading MMM pretty much since the beginning.  We moved to Portland almost two months ago and I'd love to get in the mix with some other Mustachians.  We're in the SE/Milwaukie area.

Erik

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2014, 07:58:11 PM »
Hey Erik,

Looks like you just missed today's potluck, there were about 15 adults and a handful of really nice children (and good food and beer!). It was a lot of fun and a nice chance to meet other Mustashians.

Pistacheo started a google group for all of us, if you PM her you should be able to join in (and hear about future events).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 01:44:10 PM by MarciaB »

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #103 on: March 31, 2014, 11:41:33 AM »
Just thought I'd hop on to thank our hosts for hosting yet another fun gathering of Mustachians!  Such a great group of people!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 09:38:03 PM by Will »

ChoicesChoices

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2014, 11:50:28 AM »
Greetings Oregonians!  Pistacheo kindly recommended I post this here...it is a wee bit early (that's just how I roll)...I would love to connect if at all possible while I'm in Oregon in June:

I will be in Portland June 22 or 23 to June 30.  My teens will be on the coast at a music camp, and since I am retiring on May 30, I will get to just hang out in Oregon for the week.  So I've chosen to relax in Portland, with my beau joining me mid-way through the week.  He and I are both avid MMM followers.  If you are having any of your social gatherings during that time, do let me know.  It would be so nice to meet some kindred spirits in person.  We are from Boise, Idaho, but consider Oregon our favorite place to call "home away from home".  Feel free to post me with a personal message or here in the thread.

I'll post again closer to my travel date also.

Thanks,
Catherine

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2014, 08:35:48 PM »
Hi! I just signed up for the forum and I live in Portland and I'd love to meet up with some other Mustashians in the area so I'll keep checking back here to see what gets set in the area :)

Pistacheo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2014, 02:36:14 PM »
You could hear a pin drop in here. We must all be out working on our stache.

ChoicesChoices, I'm always up for a happy hour, food cart crawl or park concert. When it gets closer to the date, give us a heads up and let us know what sounds fun to you.

Suit, welcome aboard!

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2014, 01:26:03 AM »
Pistacheo, or anyone else in Portland, I'll be in town Monday and Tuesday nights (5 and 6 May) if y'all want to get together and talk about FIRE over some beers.

Give me a heads up on a recommended happy hour if you're interested.

P.S.  My kindle didn't like the google group invite for some reason, but I can be reached here.

Digital Watches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2014, 01:26:13 PM »
Turns out I'm one of these too. I don't have a whole ton of free time, but I like meeting new and interesting people, so I'll try to keep track of this thread and come out when I can.

JustFuR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2014, 02:19:58 PM »
Glad to meet some of you at the MMM meetup last night!

echilidog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2014, 02:49:59 PM »
Hi Everybody,

I live in NW Portland, work in hillsboro, went to the recent three blog night event.  One of my friends there said he heard about a "monthly meetup" so I came here to look.  I see that potlucks are involved?!  I'd love to join and meet you.  Can anyone send/PM me a an invite to the group?

Side note - is anyone else here partaking in the pedalpalooza activities this month?  Which ones are you going to?

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2014, 02:58:11 PM »
Welcome and salutations.  We met a lot of Portlanders at the 3 day Camp Mustache.  There are at least two of us who live out in Hillsboro.  I find Hillsboro to be a fairly Mustachian city in as far as biking around gets you.  I live in a 5 mile radius of work, Winco, Home Depot, Lowes, Costco, Target, Marshalls, Safeway and the Library.  Hopefully one of the admins of the Google group gets on and invites you to the group.  We are currently planning for a June meetup.

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »
If one of the admins sees this, could I also get into the google group? I'd love to come to the June meet up.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2014, 07:57:27 PM »
If one of the admins sees this, could I also get into the google group? I'd love to come to the June meet up.

I am one of the Google group admins.  For those of you wanting to join, just send a message to one of us with the email address you would like the invite to be sent to.

The other admins are Pistacheo and elincolnp.  Feel free to message one or all of us.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:50:34 PM by Will »

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2014, 11:47:32 AM »
Another successful meetup/potluck was held yesterday afternoon.  A lot of great food and conversation.

One topic that came up is the timing of the meetups.  In the email group it was suggested that we have a set date, such as the 4th Sunday of the month, or the last Sunday (which may or may not be the 4th Sunday).  We discussed how that might conflict with some holiday plans that people might make as there are a few that occur near the end of the month (Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, for example).  We were thinking maybe going with the 2nd Sunday.  Anyone here wish to chime in on this?

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2014, 07:57:06 PM »
Another successful meetup/potluck was held yesterday afternoon.  A lot of great food and conversation.

Ahh, yes. The people at the place with the host, it was wonderful ;) Thanks Freckles for hosting!

As for when we meet, I'm up for anytime!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2014, 03:40:18 PM »
Haha.  Cute.  You're welcome!  I loved having you all over.  But darn these pseudonyms.  Suit, does your not-spy name start with a V or with an A?

I can't figure out what's best about the potluck dates.  I say, let's just pick one and try it out.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: July 03, 2014, 01:27:17 PM »
We're saddened that we had to miss this one, they are always so great.  My sweetheart came down with a cough the week before and was still coughing a bit so we had to skip.  Hope to see ya'll in July.

I'd be fine with any week, but the second Sunday/Saturday would make sense since few holidays fall around that time.

theknitcycle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2014, 04:49:54 PM »
Hooray!  I just found this thread and am so happy I did.  I'm in NE Portland and would love to get in on the fun.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
Hi theknitcycle,

Our next potluck is on Sunday, July 27.  Send a message to one of the Googlegroup moderators listed up thread somewhere to add you to the group so you can get all the info.  We'd be happy yo have you join us!

JustFuR

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: July 09, 2014, 05:10:35 PM »
Aw, sorry I missed the June meet up. I'll be out of town the 27th of July as well.

For anyone who was at the 3blog meetup - I met a woman from NYC who had recently
moved here and was job hunting, we exchanged info and then I promptly lost it... If you
are here, message me?

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: July 15, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »
I'm in Wilsonville! and would love to come to the July 27th meet up sending a message now!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2014, 08:30:58 PM »
I'll be there.  I even have my potluck item already!

missj

• Stubble
« Reply #123 on: August 16, 2014, 12:12:06 PM »
hello. new to this thread and this website.

I'm in Boring/Portland/Mt Hood area.

also, if anybody loves fresh figs we have 3 trees with the really really good and tasty juicy red ones.  there are about 1 million ripe right now and rotting faster than I can eat them, dry them or give them away.  So, if you're interested you can have as many as you pick.  At farmer's markets they go for about 2 or 3 for a dollar.  more expensive in the stores.  and ours taste better than most of those store bought ones.

if you're a cyclist you can get pretty close to our house via the Springwater trail/40 mile loop which ends in Boring.  we are about 5 miles from the end of the springwater trail.

By car, we are about 5 minutes from the town of Sandy (east of portland on your way up to Mt. Hood).

davef

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: August 26, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »
Thanks for the Offer missj! Is a long drive for me to make a specail trip but if I find myself out that way I may stop bye!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #125 on: September 08, 2014, 01:08:27 PM »
Just a quick heads-up for everyone who isn't in the Google group:

We have decided (after the survey results) to have the monthly gathering/potluck on the first Sunday of each month. 

RockinLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2014, 11:40:40 AM »
I'm so excited to find this group!!  Are people still gathering around the Portland area?  My husband and I would love to join and chat with some like minded badasses.  ...seems most of our friends are still stuck in the consumer debt cycle.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2014, 12:53:58 PM »
I'm so excited to find this group!!  Are people still gathering around the Portland area?  My husband and I would love to join and chat with some like minded badasses.  ...seems most of our friends are still stuck in the consumer debt cycle.

From Pistacheo's signature:
Quote from: Pistacheo
Are you a Willamette Valley Mustachian (Oregon) who wants join us for local meet ups? PM your email to Will, elincolnp and Pistacheo to request an invitation to our planning group

This month we are meeting at my house in Hillsboro on November 2nd.  Time and address will be announced this week, which is looking like it will be mid afternoon.  We'll be very glad to have you and your husband over.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2014, 10:53:38 PM »
Just a bump in case there are any new local Mustachians not aware of our fine little group and our meetup next Sunday...

I will be revealing my exciting (at least to me!) new plan for retirement!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2014, 08:12:02 PM »
Monthly bump!  December 7th is the next one (and I just might have another big announcement).  If you want the details (which are still TBD at this point) be sure to join the Google group by emailing one of us (elincolnp, pistacheo, or me) for an invitation.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #130 on: January 01, 2015, 09:18:33 AM »
I remember when people used to post to this thread.  I mean, just because we have a gathering pretty much every month (with this month's being this Sunday, January 4th) doesn't mean we shouldn't post and try to find more local mustachians!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2015, 10:59:24 PM »
HEY, ALL YOU GUUUUUUUUYS!!!

Does that help, Will?  :)

See you tomorrow!

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2015, 02:10:53 PM »
After our last meeting we went through our budget and I created a yearly report similar in style to MMM's.  As he has released his report today, I'll release mine.

CategoryTotalComments
Household Items$14,151.76
Interest$7,047.11
Insurance/Tax/PMI$5,796.78FHA loan
HOA$1,304.08
Other$3.79Not sure what this was for, but it was filed under mortgage
Supplies$789.33Toilet paper, razor blades, laundry detergent, etc
Clothing$750.04
Personal$9,798.14
Dream$3,917.03Includes installing French Doors for about $2k
His$2,556.42
Hers$2,284.44
Fun$1,040.25Vacations, including eating while on vacation
Food$5,581.18
Groceries$4,220.11
Restaurants$1,361.07
Utilities$3,478.03
Utilities$2,114.55Water here is very high, at $120+ a month, while $100 of that is base fees
CallCentric$28.40VoIP line I keep active, useful for filling out internet forms with phone numbers that start spamming me
T-Mobile$1,335.08I pay for 5 people at $108/mo
Car$1,746.61
Gas$856.30This included weekly trips to a city 30mi away due to a family situation which is now resolved, also includes bus passes
Maintenance$890.31This includes all my biking gear including rain jacket, bike trailer, and car tune up
TOTAL$34,755.72
Less Mortgage$9,945.50Still paying property tax and insurance
Less Mortgage TOTAL$24,810.22
Less Dream$3,917.03
Less Personal Funds$4,840.86
Less T-Mobile$735.08Assuming we found something for just the two of us at $50/mo
Less Frills TOTAL$15,317.25

Looks like we are about $1,000 more badass than Mr. Money Mustache :-D
Edit: After making this statement I realize that we are one kid short of comparing apples to oranges, so we could also assume that the cost of having a kid is roughly $1,000 and our badassity is equal.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 02:20:17 PM by ohyonghao »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2015, 04:16:26 PM »
I probably missed it skimming through this forum, but do Portland meetups still happen? When and where? I'm on the west side.

ohyonghao

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2015, 04:34:21 PM »
I probably missed it skimming through this forum, but do Portland meetups still happen? When and where? I'm on the west side.
Yes they still happen.  There is one this Sunday, the 8th, in the afternoon (or maybe it's at noon), Terri and Mike will have more details on when and their address.  Skimming further up you can find our google mailing list, the admins for it, and we have both google and Facebook.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2015, 04:35:47 PM »
Yes they still happen.  There is one this Sunday, the 8th, in the afternoon (or maybe it's at noon), Terri and Mike will have more details on when and their address.  Skimming further up you can find our google mailing list, the admins for it, and we have both google and Facebook.

Thank you! I did miss it skimming then. Missed my nap today ;) lol.

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: February 08, 2015, 09:47:13 AM »
I'll be moving to Eugene soon- should be there the beginning of April!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #137 on: February 08, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »
Well, we generally have our potlucks the first Sundays of the month.  Except like this month, where it was Super Bowl Sunday, the April meeting will most likely be pushed back a week since the first Sunday in April will be Easter Sunday.  We have a Facebook group now, and a Google Group, so that is where we share the details of exact time and place.  See you in April!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: February 09, 2015, 12:40:10 AM »
And now, with games!  :D

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: February 09, 2015, 02:10:04 AM »
I remember when people used to post to this thread.  I mean, just because we have a gathering pretty much every month (with this month's being this Sunday, January 4th) doesn't mean we shouldn't post and try to find more local mustachians!
OMG YES! Lol I am a portlander that needs to meet other mustachians and would have really appreciated seening this thread before lol
already sent my email request, yay! Although kinda intimidating as I'm still very new to MMM lifestyle and I know some of you guys are total badasses at it!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #140 on: February 09, 2015, 06:46:47 AM »

Although kinda intimidating as I'm still very new to MMM lifestyle and I know some of you guys are total badasses at it!

That's where I am too. 100% not as badass as others, ready to be out of my depth majorly.

Marian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: February 09, 2015, 04:44:15 PM »
Well, we generally have our potlucks the first Sundays of the month.  Except like this month, where it was Super Bowl Sunday, the April meeting will most likely be pushed back a week since the first Sunday in April will be Easter Sunday.  We have a Facebook group now, and a Google Group, so that is where we share the details of exact time and place.  See you in April!

What's the name of the Facebook group?

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2015, 10:55:24 PM »

What's the name of the Facebook group?

The Facebook group is a closed group, so if you want in you would still need to send Emma, pistacheo or myself a message with your email address.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #143 on: February 19, 2015, 02:03:17 PM »
Hey all. I just moved to Hillsboro a few days ago. Wondering about getting into the facebook group.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #144 on: February 19, 2015, 11:08:43 PM »
Hey all. I just moved to Hillsboro a few days ago. Wondering about getting into the facebook group.

Sure.  Shoot me your email in a PM.

Clairellen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2015, 10:57:06 PM »
Is this group still kicking around the Portland area?

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2015, 12:22:30 AM »
It is.  We've kinda taken the last couple of months off (due to weather and schedules).

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2016, 10:53:34 PM »
Monthly Meetup/Superbowl party pot luck at my house, February 7th, 2pm and on.  You can watch the game or ignore it, people are bringing board games as well, bring your kids if you have them.  I posted about it on the FB group page.  If you're not a member, request to be or send me a PM for the address.  Hope you can make it!

RedHotLama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #148 on: February 16, 2016, 06:41:54 PM »
Looks like this is the active group around here, will be PMing my email for the facebook group.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: February 16, 2016, 06:59:03 PM »
Looks like this is the active group around here, will be PMing my email for the facebook group.

Welcome to the community!