Author Topic: Western Washington?  (Read 11749 times)

Geek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Western Washington?
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:38:16 AM »
Looking for Redmond area folks, though if you're Seattle/Kirkland/Bellevue etc and driving that's fine too!

I'm considering Saturday afternoons once a month, perhaps at Victor's in Redmond, or one of the nearby parks, or the Redmond branch of the King County Library if we can get a room to meet in.

Eristheunorganized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Western Washington?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:16 AM »
I'd be down, despite how anti mustachian it is to drive there...

Geek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »
I'm in Redmond, so mad-cheats!  I'd be open to meetings in SPL's big library downtown too after the first meeting.  I can catch a bus from Microsoft's transit center.  I do miss that library.

BTW the 545 does come to downtown Redmond, if you're coming from Seattle.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:35:44 PM »
My people!

I grew up in Brier (next to Lynnwood), and went to school in Bothell.

I'd totally be down if I was still living up there.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Geek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »
Aw there have to be more than 2 of us (and one who wishes they were here).

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »
I'm in Bellevue, but I'm not sure I'm up for a meetup. INTJ with 100% I.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
I'm local and a solid E in my ENTJ, but have little to no desire to drive to Belltown to hang out with relative strangers, even cool ones.  Sorry.

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 04:05:29 PM »
When/If you move it to Seattle I would be interested in hearing how a few other people are planning their mustachian futures. . . feel free to PM me if you want to talk logistics.

keith

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 05:33:16 PM »
I'm in Redmond as well. Not sure how I feel about a meetup yet either, but maybe open to it there are lots of others.

sulaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »
I'm on Mercer Island - not as anti-mustachian as you might think ;) I may or may not be available.

I've been wanting to talk about YMOYL with other people - but most people just look at me like I'm crazy :D

BH1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
I live in the north Seattle area but work on the east side.  It would be great to all meetup sometime.

nondualie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 02:37:19 PM »
I live/work in Bellevue on a busline to the Redmond library, but I'm on the fence about a meetup...maybe if there was a proposed discussion outline or book-club type setting to it?

Eristheunorganized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 05:35:43 PM »
Oooooh, bookclub. Bookclub could be cool.

sulaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 06:24:27 PM »
As long as KCLS has enough copies of whatever book is chosen.

nondualie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 10:11:58 AM »
Black Swan?  We could read and then discuss how the concepts apply to ERE/MMM, our savings strategies, etc. ??

* a bit self-serving since I'm just finishing it ;)

BH1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 10:36:17 AM »
I like the once a month idea.  Not too big a commitment but often enough to keep some accountability within the group.  Maybe we can pick say the first ___ evening of each month.  Maybe get together and discuss all things Mustachian related to the Northwest,  set goals for the following month, and keep everyone motivated.  I know this would help a lot with my journey to FI.  Each month maybe a week before we meetup we could decide on a focused topic to cover, such as utility usage, investing, food in the northwest, travel...

Just a question:  How many people have read Early Retirement Extreme and what are your thoughts about it?  Are the ideas too technical and boring or is it motivating and exciting?  I guess what I am asking is do we have a bunch of nerds or free spirits or a mix in the group?

Brian

sulaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 04:21:17 PM »
I've recently read Debt is Slavery, Your Money or Your Life, and Early Retirement Extreme. I thought they worked really well in that order.

Debt is Slavery is the short, but sweet, wake up call which identifies debt for what it really is. It provides a taste without wasting any words.

Your Money or Your Life lays things out in 9 steps. There are groups that meet just about this book. YMOYL covers setting up a budget, rethinking satisfaction, monitoring progress, and reaching FI - the nuts and bolts.

Early Retirement Extreme takes YMOYL to a whole new level. It assumes you're already on board with the whole live cheaply idea, and goes into the details of what that will mean. At the same time, it tries to teach principals instead of concrete examples. This both ensures that it doesn't get dated as well as teaching you the steps necessary to be successful.

Of those three, I felt YMOYL was the most valuable, and the one I've shared with non-mustachian friends. All three are motivating.

A few months ago I also read Consumer Detox. I was disappointed and wouldn't recommend it. It never gets into practical, motivational discussion about what to do about consumerism - it just points it out in one obvious example after another. It's an easy book to get through, but not worth it, in my opinion. It's written from a Christian perspective which might not align with others belief systems or interests. Overall, it's just not as good as the other three.

As soon as my hold is fulfilled, I plan on reading the Intelligent Asset Allocator. I'm in the 'stache building phase and need to develop and refine an investment philosophy.

BH1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 05:49:13 PM »
My piece of advice for developing as investment philosophy:  Design it as simply as possible, automate it as much as possible, then get on with your life and just let the investing happen... Your worst enemy in investing is yourself, (and fees).  Fees are just like compounding interest, but in the opposite direction.

nondualie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 08:20:27 PM »
  I guess what I am asking is do we have a bunch of nerds or free spirits or a mix in the group?

Nerd here.  And I just finished ERE a couple weeks ago.  Great book.

I'll go ahead and commit to making the meet-up if the scheduling works out..

Geek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
How about a Friday, the 23rd, 30th, or 6th.  6pm would be after work for most, then if some work on the Eastside they can get to the library

Does anyone have library connections to get us hooked up with a space?  I'm a pretty solid, shy "I" INTJ as some others, and making phone calls to get pizza terrifies me (oddly enough I'm fine talking with developers over the phone at work.)

I'd be willing to go over YMOYL book-club style as I need to read it and this would be a good forcing function.  I think this could take an hour or more easily and would be a nice low-commitment way to have a first meeting.  However as a safety topic we could also hit on some recent blog posts of interest, if meetupers feel very strongly about them one way or the other.

BH1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »
I am all down for the 23rd or the 30th. 

Geek:  Not to make things for complicated than necessary but is Thursday the 22nd or 29th a possibility at all? I am open to YMOYL, I have a copy and it seems to be a great starting point.  Anyone else game?

I'm a pretty solid, shy "I" INTJ as some others, and making phone calls to get pizza terrifies me (oddly enough I'm fine talking with developers over the phone at work.)

Funny you say this,  I am very similar, but that is exactly why I started posting on the forums and would like to get a group together.  In my quest to become a well rounded Mustachian, I must get myself to work on my weaknesses, not just on my strengths. 

By the way,  I am a carpenter and can build just about anything mechanically but try to get me to write a couple paragraphs and it feels just about as bad as pulling a tooth with pliers.  This probably explains my rambling and poor writing.

Brian

biliruben

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 04:30:24 AM »
Lake City here. 

Probably not up for a meet-up in Redmond.  Unless it was at Black Raven.  ;)  I like my beer.

I have no idea what all the acronyms you folks are spouting are.  I'm guessing by context introvert vs. extrovert? 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 12:03:33 PM »
Lake City here. 

Probably not up for a meet-up in Redmond.  Unless it was at Black Raven.  ;)  I like my beer.

I have no idea what all the acronyms you folks are spouting are.  I'm guessing by context introvert vs. extrovert?

Myers-Briggs personality types.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myers-Briggs_Type_Indicator
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Eristheunorganized

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 01:24:46 PM »
Any of those days work for me, I have a slight preference for Thursday, but Friday's fine. And since everyone else is sharing, I'm an ENTP. (barely expressed "E").

slugsworth

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 03:17:08 PM »
There are a few of us in the N. Seattle area - If anyone else in that geography wants to meet up in a central place PM me and I'll try to coordinate.  I am really just curious what other people are doing over coffee or a beer or whatever.

Geek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 08:06:49 PM »
Friday
3/30
5:15-6 meeting room 1 in the Redmond library is reserved.

We can try a Thursday sometime as well if all works out, perhaps next month.

BH1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »
I'm there.  Just put it on the calendar.

biliruben

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 04:48:35 AM »
There are a few of us in the N. Seattle area - If anyone else in that geography wants to meet up in a central place PM me and I'll try to coordinate.  I am really just curious what other people are doing over coffee or a beer or whatever.

I'm pretty slammed until April, but I'm game at some point.

Geek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 10:02:19 AM »
Moustache fail - Library copies of YMOLY have a waiting list.  Is anyone in possession of a lendable copy?

BH1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »
Wish I had an extra copy but I just have one on my Kindle.

BH1982

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
@Geek: Amazon has YMOYL for .01 plus 3.99 for shipping.  Not free but not bad at all.  That's about 70% off retail...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0140286780/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Just checked.  It is also available in audio cd at the spl.  It is currently on the shelf ready for you to grab at beacon hill, broad view, and the central library branches.  Let's get after it, Mustachian style!

:-))

Geek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2012, 11:12:54 AM »
I have some paperbackswap credits and I'm trying for it, but I've also reserved the disc at the library now.  I'm not as fond of audiobooks as paper, I like a table of contents for facts.

But hey, free. 

sulaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
Friday
3/30
5:15-6 meeting room 1 in the Redmond library is reserved.

Mrs. jonhohle and I are going to try to make it. 5:15 will be cutting it close - downtown to Mercer Island, and up to Redmond, but I'll try to leave a little early.

Look forward to meeting some like-minded Mustachians.

sulaco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 03:46:09 PM »
It was nice meeting other Mustachians last night. Thanks again for organizing Geek.